PDA

View Full Version : GA Section Hike 11/7-11/10

Rain Man
11-01-2003, 12:53
Next weekend (Nov 7 to Nov 10) I will be doing a section hike to complete the Georgia part of the AT, from Neels Gap to Deep Gap, NC. At Deep Gap we'll leave the AT and hike the Kimsey Creek Trail down about 4 miles to the Standing Indian Campground on the Nantahala River.

WhiteBlaze member Lilredmg is planning to join me. Also going along are a neighbor and a church friend, both of whom I've hiked with.

We plan to do the 10 miles from Neels Gap to Low Gap Shelter on Friday, 15 miles from Low Gap Shelter to Tray Mtn Shelter on Saturday, 15 miles from Tray Mtn Shelter to Plumorchard Shelter on Sunday, then finally 11 miles to Deep Gap and 4 miles to Standing Indian Campground on Monday.

Another hiking friend is meeting us where US Hwy 76 crosses the AT at Dicks Creek Gap on Sunday afternoon. He'll hike the last day and a half with us.

I did the Springer to Neels Gap section with my daughter and two young friends back in August.

Anyway, anybody want to join us? Any comments, hints, suggestions about this section, the shelters, or the November weather in North Georgia. Right now it is BEAUTIFUL.

Rain Man

Youngblood
11-02-2003, 19:34
Originally posted by Rain Man

We plan to do the 10 miles from Neels Gap to Low Gap Shelter on Friday, 15 miles from Low Gap Shelter to Tray Mtn Shelter on Saturday, 15 miles from Tray Mtn Shelter to Plumorchard Shelter on Sunday, then finally 11 miles to Deep Gap and 4 miles to Standing Indian Campground on Monday.

Rain Man

Rain Man,

Those 15 mile days may be a little harder to do than they were in August-- you have a few less hours of daylight, maybe heavier gear and I think you will have more climbs in those sections of the trail. Good luck and have a great hike. This is the time of year that many of this years sobo's will be in Georgia, let us know of any you meet along the trail. I meet one this morning just south of Plumorchard Shelter, Bluegrasshopper from Kentucky who left Katahdin on May 24th.

Youngblood

Rain Man
11-03-2003, 00:19
Originally posted by Youngblood
Rain Man,

Those 15 mile days may be a little harder to do than they were in August-- you have a few less hours of daylight, maybe heavier gear and I think you will have more climbs in those sections of the trail. Good luck and have a great hike. This is the time of year that many of this years sobo's will be in Georgia, let us know of any you meet along the trail. I meet one this morning just south of Plumorchard Shelter, Bluegrasshopper from Kentucky who left Katahdin on May 24th.

Youngblood

Youngblood,

Thanks for the advice about the mileage. One reason I posted is that I'm not sure about 15 miles, although a 12 mile day in August was not a major problem. Anyway, I am thinking of re-planning, or allowing for lesser mileage in the event we decide 15 is too much.

And thanks for the info on SOBO's! I hadn't even thought of that. Will keep an eye and an ear open.

Rain Man

Uncle Wayne
11-03-2003, 02:27
Rain Man,

We'll be following you starting at Springer and headed to Neels Gap on the same days. If you can find a place with a clear view of the eastern horizon, there will be a lunar eclipse on November 8th starting around 6 to 6:30 p.m. est I believe. Full eclipse lasting some 20 minutes or so starting around 8.
If the weather cooperates it should be great from the darkness of the trail.
Best of luck to you and the crew on your section hike.

Hikerhead
11-03-2003, 08:24
If I was a little closer, I'd join in. We need to get that "race" done to declare the true champion.

Have fun.

Uncle Wayne
11-03-2003, 08:34
I'm using this section as serious training for the upcoming "race." But I must admit I feel pretty good about my chances.

Wish you could join us. We would really enjoy your company if you didn't run off and leave us.

Hikerhead
11-03-2003, 08:40
:D That's funny...

Rain Man
11-03-2003, 12:19
Originally posted by Uncle Wayne
... If you can find a place with a clear view of the eastern horizon, there will be a lunar eclipse on November 8th starting around 6 to 6:30 p.m. est I believe. Full eclipse lasting some 20 minutes or so starting around 8.

WOW... I did not know that was on the horizon!!! (a little pun)

Thanks for the heads-up, and we'll definitely be on the lookout for it.

Enjoy your hike with your Honey!

Rain Man

halibut15
11-05-2003, 00:16
Rain Man,
Watch out in the area between cowrock mountain and hogpen gap. It's not much distance at all, but I've seen three bears there recently-one right in the trail, one in the road @ below the gap, and one at the gap. Good luck and have a great trip!

The Dangler

Rain Man
11-11-2003, 18:31
Rain Man,
Watch out in the area between cowrock mountain and hogpen gap. It's not much distance at all, but I've seen three bears there recently-one right in the trail, one in the road @ below the gap, and one at the gap. Good luck and have a great trip!

The Dangler

Hey Dangler....

Well, I completed the hike last night (Monday) around 7:00 and am back home now. No problem with bears... they would've been dead fast had they been on the trail. LOTS of hunters and dogs out this weekend.

In fact, lots of people... I saw around 80 hikers on Saturday alone, from Low Gap Shelter to Tray Mountain Shelter. Tons of Boy Scouts and "locals" (including Atlanta) out to watch the eclipse away from city lights. Sadly, it was totally overcast. Phooey.

Rain Man