PDA

View Full Version : GPS people tracking systems?

Kirby
08-23-2007, 16:02
Are there really GPS people tracking systems that you can hook up to a computer and track people? My dad wants to buy one for me for my hike through the 100 mile wilderness. I suppose what ever floats the boat.

Kirby

Roland
08-23-2007, 16:05
Oh sure, the technology exists, but it might be cheaper for him to hire the Secret Service to hike with you, for the week.

Kirby
08-23-2007, 16:11
Believe me, I do not want it, nor do I want him to spend a lot of money on something that will only be used for 10 days and then dispersed off until another reason arrives (AKA my thru hike in 2008). I am going to go to different technology stores and see what exists and hope that it is rediculously expensive to the point that it is not even worth it.

Kirby

halftime
08-23-2007, 16:16
http://www.nextel.com/en/services/gps/gps.shtml

Roland
08-23-2007, 16:23
There is no Nextel/Sprint service in that area.

Kirby
08-23-2007, 16:31
And in order for these programs to work, you need to be in their service areas, correct?

Kirby

Alligator
08-23-2007, 16:45
I'm not sure about the device in your opening post, but you can rent a satellite phone and/or a personal locator beacon for about $50-60/week each. Maybe more or less, I didn't look intensively.

halftime
08-23-2007, 17:06
There is no Nextel/Sprint service in that area.

Just one of many (Verizon has as well)

Another type using satelite/internet technology (also one of many):
http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/sendumgpspackagetrackerpt200.html

Receiving devices require batteries. Most with extended life are expensive.

Roland
08-23-2007, 17:39
Just one of many (Verizon has as well)

Another type using satelite/internet technology (also one of many):
http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/sendumgpspackagetrackerpt200.html

Receiving devices require batteries. Most with extended life are expensive.

Halftime,

In my first post, I stated that GPS tracking technology exists, but it would be prohibitively expensive, for a 1-week hike. Thank you for helping me make my point.

But even the expensive device you recommend would not provide real-time tracking that Kirby's dad wants, from his own computer. The device relays position information to the provider, only. The customer does not get real-time postion, but can make position requests to the provider, for a fee. The cost of the service is a function of the number of position requests.

It's silly to be discussing the merits of this equipment for a hike. Kirby is a young man, and I can understand his dad's concern, but a GPS tracker is not the answer.

Roland
08-23-2007, 17:54
Kirby,

GPS tracking is used extensively in fleet management. Trucks are outfitted with equipment that allows the "office" to track their location, anywhere in the country. But this equipment is expensive, and requires lots of battery power. It's not ideally suited for personal carry.

Dad's apprehension is normal and good. It shows he cares about you, and although he's willing to allow your adventure, he needs some reassurance that you're OK, along the way.

Alligator's suggestion is probably the best. In areas where there is no cell coverage, a SAT phone will allow you to call home. Of course, these phones are very expensive, but as gator points-out, they can be rented. To dad, maybe the peace-of-mind is worth the fee, especially for your first extended hike.

You strike me as very mature for a 16 y.o. Do what you must to assuage your parents' concerns. After a hike or two, their comfort zone will expand.

snowesty
08-23-2007, 19:08
I was just at the Ourdoor Retailer show in Salt lake and played around with a device called SPOT. I allows you to not only send for emergency, but also to send pre-recorded voice or email messages. It will also send updates, also pre-recorded but including a link to google maps so you can track progress. Under 300 US and under 20 a month for monitoring. Usefull for onging use. My wife might actually let me go on solo hikes with one of these....

Cuffs
08-23-2007, 19:12
real time tracking is available... I use it almost on a daily basis. the costs to use it add up fast...

A monthly base, plus a "per signal" charge. (from as few as once every 30 minutes up to once every minute) these usually run about .25cents for each "signal."

check out landairsea...

Passionphish
08-23-2007, 19:36
Hey Kirby! Why don't you satisfy both you and your dad and save some money too!

Go with a PLB (Personal Locator Becon). You activate it when you need help, it is a one time buy and it doesn't track your every move!

PP

Kirby
08-23-2007, 19:49

Go with a PLB (Personal Locator Becon). You activate it when you need help, it is a one time buy and it doesn't track your every move!

PP

I could also pre-arrange with my dad at what specific time I will turn it on so he can see where I am, I can also turn it on in an emergency, thanks for the advice everyone, I am leaning towards renting a SAT phone or using the above mentioned, keep sending advice though, I have heard some great ideas I could have never come up with on my own.

Kirby

Cuffs
08-23-2007, 19:53
Personal opinion....save the weight and just go! leave itinerary with 3, 4, 5 people. call them when you leave and call them the moment you get to your car or you get cell signal, whichever comes first...

Roland
08-23-2007, 20:05

PP

I could also pre-arrange with my dad at what specific time I will turn it on so he can see where I am, I can also turn it on in an emergency, thanks for the advice everyone, I am leaning towards renting a SAT phone or using the above mentioned, keep sending advice though, I have heard some great ideas I could have never come up with on my own.

Kirby

When activated, a PLB will trigger a SAR response. It's not a device that will alert your family of your position.

Kirby
08-23-2007, 20:25
I am also having a hard time finding anywhere that will rent and be able to get it to me by saturday in Monson, I would have to wait until monday, which is not possible. EMS has a cheap PLB, but it sucks, and is not worth the 150 dollars, and all other PLB's go for 5-800 dollars, which is out of the question.

Arrgghhh,
Kirby

Lone Wolf
08-23-2007, 20:28
this thread is highly rediculous. :banana

JAK
08-23-2007, 20:34
Let him buy it for you Kirby, then sling it onto the first moose you run into. :)

Kirby
08-23-2007, 20:35
this thread is highly rediculous. :banana

My dad would disagree, believe me, I would not have asked this question if I did not need to, I do not want to have to do any of these things, I asked this question to see what experienced hikers have to say and to see what options are available for my dad to consider, I am sorry you think this is rediculous, I am sure I can find threads on this site that are more "rediculous" then this.

Kirby

Kirby
08-23-2007, 20:36
Let him buy it for you Kirby, then sling it onto the first moose you run into. :)

Good plan.

Kirby

JAK
08-23-2007, 20:36
Get the kind that monitors heart rate, blood pressure, and body temperature also. I'm sure they must have those. I'm not sure what the vital signs of a bull moose are during rutting season, but I'll bet their pretty interesting. :)

Lone Wolf
08-23-2007, 20:40
My dad would disagree, believe me, I would not have asked this question if I did not need to, I do not want to have to do any of these things, I asked this question to see what experienced hikers have to say and to see what options are available for my dad to consider, I am sorry you think this is rediculous, I am sure I can find threads on this site that are more "rediculous" then this.

Kirby

daddy needs to hike with you then. otherwise he needs to tell you not to go. his house, his rules. when you turn 18 do what you want.

shelterbuilder
08-23-2007, 20:48
Kirby

I was a little older than you are when I started backpacking, and Mom and Dad both worried...and back then, there were no GPS trackers. Once you were in the woods, you were out of touch. I used to think that they were being overly protective...then I had a son of my own, and began to realize what they must have been feeling!
Once you've got a few longer trips under your belt, your Dad's comfort zone will start to expand a bit, and the need for the GPS tracking may vanish. But for now, IMHO, neither the concern nor the thread are ridiculous.:) Good luck!

Lone Wolf
08-23-2007, 21:02
yo kirby. don't PM me with your BS about me disrespecting you and your family.. bottom line. if dad worries about you goin' in the woods, at 16, for 10 days, you shouldn't go. dad should put his foot down and say no. a GPS ain't gonna do jack s chitt. maybe help find your body quicker

Skidsteer
08-23-2007, 21:47

Kirby

Hang on a sec. It is an interesting thread if not completely ridiculous.

You're 16 years old. The fact that your Dad will let you go on this trip under any circumstances speaks volumes for your abilities and your Dad's confidence in them. And I have a 16 year old son.

Have a heart to heart with your Dad instead of Strangers on a internet forum. At least on this subject. He may yet relent if you spend some time reassuring him.

And cherish the idea that Pops cares about you. :)

ed bell
08-24-2007, 01:08
Skidsteer is a very wise fellow.:sun

Cuffs
08-24-2007, 09:16
Let dad read this thread... he may see how safe it is if we all are telling him he doesnt need it...

JAK
08-24-2007, 09:49
Also, I hope you accept my posts as a combination of humour and perhaps, provacative operations. I'm sure your dad has weighed all the pros and cons of overprotection vs underprotection. It was humour on my part mostly, because it reminded my of that scene in Apollo 13 where they all ripped their monitors off. Based on the posts of your which I've read you've already reached a level of maturity in your love of nature and desire for adventure tempered with rational caution and realism that speaks volumes about both you and your parents. Heck, even the Apollo 13 guys didn't rip it off until they were well on their way home. So perhaps you should take an interest in such gear if it exists. It might be very interesting to go over all the data when you return, after you go through your debriefing with ground control. Have a blast, and include them in it. But perhaps on your return trip, if you happen to see a moose...

Cannibal
08-24-2007, 10:08
kirbyinanutshell232 - why not take your dad with you on a couple of trips? I remember you posting on Wingnut's site about bear spray several months ago that was similar to this thread, so it seems your dad is really concerned about your safety; that's not a bad thing.

If you take him and he sees first hand how a responsible person can be safe in the wilderness and the fact that there are other people there that can and will help if needed, he may relax a little. Of course, then you may have to deal with jealousy instead of concern.

VerticalClimb22k
08-24-2007, 11:46
hes just concerned about you man, i wish my dad cared where i was.

Itll make him feel alot better about you being out there, and should some crazy stuff happen, you always have that protection

Mother's Finest
08-24-2007, 12:11
from a logical perspective, Lone Wolf is absolutely correct.

if Kirby has his act together enough to hike the 100 wilderness alone at 16, then dad needs to accept this and not worry about some unnecessary piece of equipment for his son's safety.

again, assuming he has the ability to execute the hike, the idea of this device is really nothing more than an excuse for his father to say no to him hiking.

next thing you know people will be wearing helmets while hiking, (cause you know you may fall down)

peace
mf

Hikes with a stick
08-24-2007, 13:27
Review the various equipment you will be taking with you, and show/demonstrate how it will ensure your safety to your Dad. Also learn signaling procedures, like the symbols and what they mean, and firestarting.

Another good thing to do if you are traveling alone would be to put some personal contact and medical information on a card, laminate it, and keep it in your pants pocket. That way if something does happen to you, and they find you unconcious, they will know who you are and who to contact. That should be a big plus with your Dad. Tell him you will carry some bear spray to protect yourself from critters and other hikers.

hiker5
08-24-2007, 17:59
Perhaps this would have been better off in the "Straight Forward" forum as I suspect that Kirby was really just looking for some direction in terms of the existence and availability of such a device, and not opinions of about whether his dad is being paranoid/protective/reasonable or otherwise.

Good luck to you Kirby and be sure to post if you find a practical device that suits the needs you describe. While I'm not looking to purchase one, I do find the possibiliy interesting.

caro
08-24-2007, 19:33
Kirby,

I am really impressed with your maturity, common sense and search for knowledge. I have to say as a HS teacher, you are kinda rare. I think your dad is only trying to protect you and I appreciate your desire to re-assure him. It shows respect for him also, which is awesome! I don't have a clue how you could re-assure him without actually going with you. But I just wanted to let you know that I have lots of experience with teens and you are really amazing! Keep trying to follow your dreams and remember a dad, who is so involved and concerned is really special too, and we don't always get to keep them.

carolyn

Scrollner
08-24-2007, 20:07
Kirby,
Having kids around your age, I can see where your father is coming from. When I hiked with my 17 year-old daughter through the SNP this past summer, I had a rule that when one of us came to the top of an uphill section, the one at the top had to wait if you couldn't see the other one. Since my daughter runs cross country, you can imagine who ended up doing most of the waiting. I did this out of safety concerns for both of us (like if Dad had a coronary:D ). I applaud your father for allowing you to have an opportunity to do a solo hike, just grin and bear it if he hooks a homing device up to you!

Shutterbug
08-25-2007, 21:43
Kirby,

GPS tracking is used extensively in fleet management. Trucks are outfitted with equipment that allows the "office" to track their location, anywhere in the country. But this equipment is expensive, and requires lots of battery power. It's not ideally suited for personal carry.

Dad's apprehension is normal and good. It shows he cares about you, and although he's willing to allow your adventure, he needs some reassurance that you're OK, along the way.

Alligator's suggestion is probably the best. In areas where there is no cell coverage, a SAT phone will allow you to call home. Of course, these phones are very expensive, but as gator points-out, they can be rented. To dad, maybe the peace-of-mind is worth the fee, especially for your first extended hike.

You strike me as very mature for a 16 y.o. Do what you must to assuage your parents' concerns. After a hike or two, their comfort zone will expand.

I carried a SAT phone when I hiked the Wonderland Trail. It worked well.

When I hiked the 100 Mile Wilderness, I found tha the SAT phone was practically useless. For a SAT phone to work, there must be a clear view of the sky. On the AT, the leaf cover is so think that it is very difficult to find a hole large enough to get a good connection. The only places it would work were on the ledges and mountain tops.

Passionphish
08-28-2007, 21:06
Hey Kirby!!! I got to thinking about the problem you are faced with. And frankly, I agree with alot of the people here. To hike the 100 mile wilderness at your age is both fantastic and scary. Your dad is right to be nervous. You are right to try and help him feel at ease. Some people are just to old to remember that dealing with parents is a constant and on going negotiation of freedom vs responsibility.
Anyway, I feel that you deserve a good answer. Now this may not help for an imediate hike. For the future Spot Inc. has developed and IS selling personal satellite tracker. It runs on two AA batteries and isn't all that heavy. It even gives you the "check in" option that you mentioned in a response to my earlier post. Here's the link:

http://www.mobilewhack.com/spot-inc-introduces-spot-satellite-messenger/

It is one post about this thing. Take a look. If you do wind up choosing something, Please post a review. Some of us are still responsible to loved ones and would love to find something to help us too!