PDA

View Full Version : AT Thru on trail only

Ender
08-24-2007, 10:13
So, here's a question I've had running through my head the past few days. When, if ever, and who, if anyone, has ever thru hiked the AT never spending a night in town, spending every night on the trail? I know Earl Shaffer came pretty close, I think he only spent one or two nights off the trail visiting family.

I bet it's probably been done, but I have no idea for sure. Thoughts?

Just a Hiker
08-24-2007, 10:50
Hey there! I don't know of anyone who has spent every single night of a thru-hike on the trail; however, I am sure some people have or have come pretty close. I know it aint me because I have to find a TV every Sunday to watch the Sopranos! (Ha! Ha!)

Take care,

Just Jim

Jack Tarlin
08-24-2007, 13:13
Actually Earl, God rest him, spent quite a few nights off the Trail. For example I know he visited at least some of the better hostels such as Kincora in Tennessee or The Cabin in Maine. But as to your question, I can't think of anyone who never left the Trail (except to re-supply) but I'm sure it's been done. I met a guy once who was determined not to ride in a car for his whole trip, even when re-supplying. So he wouldn't hitch-hike. This included road-walking to get re-supplied in Maine, which is NOT easy. In other words, people have done all sorts of unusual or different things out there. If there actually is someone who never left the Trail or woods, well, I salute him, but at the same time, better him than me. That's be a tough one.

celt
08-24-2007, 13:23
I met a guy once who was determined not to ride in a car for his whole trip, even when re-supplying. So he wouldn't hitch-hike.

Jack, was this Abner Serd in 1999 (who I heard also walked to Springer from Prescott Arizona)?

Jack Tarlin
08-24-2007, 13:25
Could be but I don't really remember. That was awhile ago!!

Ender
08-24-2007, 14:45
Actually Earl, God rest him, spent quite a few nights off the Trail. For example I know he visited at least some of the better hostels such as Kincora in Tennessee or The Cabin in Maine.

Hmmmm... do you mean his original hike? I was under the (quite possibly incorrect) impression that he only had a couple days away, but to be fair it's been years since I've read his book. He was a heck of a guy though. When I met him in '98 we talked for a while, and he kept talking about how much the trail had changed over the years. It was really cool to get to observe that perspective for a while.

You raise a good point though... hostels. So, now I have two groups I'm curious about. 1: Only stay on the trail, which was my original thought. And then 2: Only stay on trail and in AT hostels. I imagine there's probably quite a few of #2, so it's not as interesting to me, though still very impressive.

Jack Tarlin
08-24-2007, 18:26
Well, Kincora and The Cabin didn't exist during his first hike. I'm talking about '98.

As to whether or not there are folks who never went into town, or ONLY went to get food and then got right out again, well, probably there are, but I doubt there are many.

DavidNH
08-24-2007, 20:16
hmmmm..

I got to thinking..imagine a hiker has been trudging through days of rain over Pennsylvania rocks.. he gets into Deleware watergap... and there is this hostel under neath the presby church that is dry and comfy and essentially FREE.

Now hontestly.. do any of you know a hiker or met a hiker who would pass up a FREE dry night in a comfy hostel with rain outside? If so..I gotta hear this. spill it..tell the story!

I did a 20 mile day just to get the hell out of the PA. Getting to the gap and the hostel..still in PA but on the border more or less with NJ I was so glad that hostel was there!!!

David