PDA

View Full Version : Merrell Radius didn't do it for me... need alternatives!

Time To Fly 97
08-24-2007, 10:44
The Pulse II Low with Gore-Tex is the best boot I have ever hiked in. Completely supportive, held up amazingly well, seemed to pump water out very quickly even after being submerged, etc. etc. Awesome boots.

I just received a new pair of Merrell Radius waterproof boots that are supposed to be the the evolution of the now discontinued Pulse II low cut sheos with GoreTex. At first glance, they seem not to be as rugged as the Pulse IIs. For example, the cusioning under the heel gives much more making me wonder if I would roll over on these in a short time. The randing seems on the verge of coming apart and they are brand new. Nonetheless, I wore them last night to see how they felt. With the Merrell waterproofing (not Gore-Tex) my feet felt uncomfortably hot after an hour and when I took them off they smelled like bad feet (clean socks and feet!!). They just aren't the Merrell quality that I was expecting and I am returning them today. I'm very unhappy about this - I loved my Pulse IIs.

I am now forced to go with with a mid sized Pulse II (I like low cut better)or another brand completely. Does anybody with some miles under their belts have suggestions on a heavy duty low cut hiking shoe with Gore-Tex? I need something that I can put some serious weight on that won't roll over on the heels. I appreciate your help!!

Happy hiking!

TTF

otterman
08-24-2007, 10:53
Why the need for Goretex? The Goretex is probably what is making your foot so hot. I use the Vasque Breeze. They are so cool that I can sometime feel the breeze on my foot. They have mega protection in the sole so I don't have rocks and other debris poking me in the foot. They dry quickly when they get wet because they don't have Goretex holding the moisture inside of the shoe.

In the cooler months I use a pair of Montrail mid height shoes with Goretex, but never in the warmer months.

Time To Fly 97
08-24-2007, 11:15
Why the need for Goretex? The Goretex is probably what is making your foot so hot. I use the Vasque Breeze. They are so cool that I can sometime feel the breeze on my foot. They have mega protection in the sole so I don't have rocks and other debris poking me in the foot. They dry quickly when they get wet because they don't have Goretex holding the moisture inside of the shoe.

In the cooler months I use a pair of Montrail mid height shoes with Goretex, but never in the warmer months.

Right on. This is for the upcoming cooler seasons including snow. I like Vasque for summer as well (thru-hiked with Vasques). The Merrell alternative to Gore-Tex really didn't seem breathe at all though. Trying to find a low that holds up like a full. : )

Happy hiking!

TTF