PDA

View Full Version : News about MSR Reactor

Mags
08-24-2007, 11:18
For you gear heads/people who want a new stove/ the curious/etc.

The MSR Reactor has been talked about for a few months. Looks like they it is being shipped in some areas. Thought I'd pass on the info for those curious:

SEATTLE, Washington – MSR (Mountain Safety Research), the Seattle-based
brand of proven backcountry gear for demanding users, today announced that the
MSR Reactor Stove System has started shipping to limited retail outlets in North
America. The MSR Reactor Stove System design features radical,
patent-pending technology including a convective and radiant heat burner and an internal
pressure regulator – allowing it to work in all conditions and able to boil
one liter of water in less than three minutes. Originally slated for shipment
in the spring of 2007, the stove is highly anticipated due to early press
coverage, awards, and enthusiastic reviews from early field testers.

bajabackpacker
10-24-2007, 23:15
OMG! I work at an outfitter and we had the rep from MSR come in today and do a Reactor Demo for us (we have 1 out of 20 Reactors that shipped to the East Coast btw). This thing was beyond cool... It boiled 1/2 liter of water in under 2 minutes, boils 2.8 liters of water per oz of fuel (which is actually field observed since other specs don't really take wind and temperature into account as much which the Reactor are pretty much invulnerable to) while MSR's 2nd most efficient stove (the PocketRocket) boils 2 liters of water per oz of fuel (in ideal conditions). Also, it has a clear lid that has a hole where steam comes out once your water boils. And... coolest looking feature of all... the metal foam looking core (forget the term) heats up bright orange/red to reveal the MSR logo.

I'm going to prodeal one of these badboys asap.

Pedaling Fool
10-24-2007, 23:24
I've been looking at this stove, on the web, but going to an outfitter tomorrow to look at it. It does appear that the boil-time has beaten Jetboil's, but, as far as I can tell, the Jetboil still has it beat WRT weight, compactability, fuel economy and price.

SGT Rock
10-25-2007, 00:54
The Reactor and JetBoil are like SUVs are for the car companies.

There are stoves out there that get very similar fuel economy using regular pots and a few tweaks in how you employ them without adding all the weight, price, and limiting capacity. The Coleman F1, MSR pocket Rocket, and other burner heads will get you similar fuel econemy if you use them right - they just don't act like a backpacking microwave. So it takes 4 minutes instead of 2:30. An extra 90 seconds ain't going to kill you LOL.

Good luck with them though.

A-Train
10-25-2007, 01:01
Yeah I remember looking at these at the summer 2006 Trade Show in SLC. MSR had some pretty spiffy presentations and demonstrations going on all weekend. I thought the logo in the stove was clever, a nice marketing technique. The best feature that they claimed seemed to be that the stove had the same fuel efficiency throughout the life of the canister, maintaining the same boil time and temp.

Overall, this seemed to be a cool toy for a small niche market of folks who want the newest and coolest. Not really worth the money compared to other stoves.

Sly
10-25-2007, 01:15

I'm going to prodeal one of these badboys asap.

Prodeal me one too, will yeah? :D

EWS
10-25-2007, 02:03
The best feature that they claimed seemed to be that the stove had the same fuel efficiency throughout the life of the canister, maintaining the same boil time and temp.

I read an article on the perceived assumptions that the lower the fuel level in a canister is the more inefficient it is, I believe on backpackinglight.

Basically, they did it myth busters style and it was debunked. With used canisters the pressure was obviously lower and they took some extra seconds to boil, but they used the same amount of fuel (maybe tiny, tiny amount more), than new canisters did.

SGT Rock
10-25-2007, 09:20
I read an article on the perceived assumptions that the lower the fuel level in a canister is the more inefficient it is, I believe on backpackinglight.

Basically, they did it myth busters style and it was debunked. With used canisters the pressure was obviously lower and they took some extra seconds to boil, but they used the same amount of fuel (maybe tiny, tiny amount more), than new canisters did.
What you do really find with gas stoves is if you turn them down (don't run them at full blast) you get better fuel economy. So it would make sense that if your fuel level went down, your pressure is down - so you can;t blow out fuel at full throttle and your economy for what you do have will actually go up. The only time this might not be true is on the last boil where your stove may not be able to overcome the heat loss since most gas stoves do not have windscreens and such to help scavenge that last few BTUs.

dessertrat
10-25-2007, 09:29
This proves to me that if I call something a "stove system" I can charge twice as much for it than if I just call it a "stove".

Same goes for "shelter system" instead of "tent", "sleep system" instead of "sleeping bag and pad", etc.

SGT Rock
10-25-2007, 09:38
This proves to me that if I call something a "stove system" I can charge twice as much for it than if I just call it a "stove".

Same goes for "shelter system" instead of "tent", "sleep system" instead of "sleeping bag and pad", etc.
Absolutely - it is a trend and it is intoxicating to some folks. I've seen the draw work in people on alcohol stoves, gas stoves, tents etc. If you think about it - tents started this a long time ago. In a bag you get the shelter, skeeter protection, stakes, poles, and lines. No thinking about what stakes work best, or which support style you want, or which lines show up better in the dark, or if you only need bug protection in certain weather conditions.

But once you go the stove system route then you can charge special prices for special parts. Instead of just "a bigger pot" it becomes the "group cook system". It corners the market for you on the rest of the items of that niche that decides to go with your system.

John B
10-25-2007, 09:48
$139?? 21 ounces plus cannister?? :eek:

Mags
10-25-2007, 10:20
But once you go the stove system route then you can charge special prices for special parts. Instead of just "a bigger pot" it becomes the "group cook system". It corners the market for you on the rest of the items of that niche that decides to go with your system.

I never thought of it that way..but it is absolutely true!

A 2 qt alum pot is very light and great for two people (or one very hungry hiker! :D). It costs ~$4 (or less from a thrift store). Maybe I should market an "group alcohol stove cooking system". $2 of parts (at the most), a $4 pot...and charge $35?!?!? :banana

leep frog
10-25-2007, 10:56
I saw someone using one of these in the Dacks this past weekend-how he got it, not sure. Yeah, it boiled fast as hell, but it was heavy too, basically like a jacked up jet-boil that could cook easily for several. It really was the SUV of stoves! Anyway, my esbit stove only cost 6 bucks and wasn't that much slower....maybe at least prices for other canister stoves will fall some more while this thing is hyped?

I'm not sure why they claim that canister efficiency is better, except that there seems to be never ending confusion and problems I just can't understand over canister performance in the cold. Anyone remember basic physics? Temperature, volume, pressure... Just make a windscreen out of tinfoil and keep the thing just under warm to the touch as the pressure falls and no prob....and no, it's not that dagerous, unless you fall asleep while cooking!

dwight_aspinwall
10-25-2007, 17:12

I can tell you since I was there that it has never been Jetboil's intention to use the word "system" to garner fat margins. We've been motivated from the start to build stoves that are highly usable and efficient. The pot support was the second accessory we added (after the coffee press) so you could use your own pots. This opened the "system" up rather than locking you into Jetboil vessels. As for price, look at what you get with a $90 Jetboil PCS compared to a $40 pocket rocket (or $6 esbit) and I think you'll agree there's a lot more to it. I'm willing to bet their margins are higher.

Mags
10-25-2007, 17:23
As for price, look at what you get with a $90 Jetboil PCS compared to a $40 pocket rocket (or $6 esbit) and I think you'll agree there's a lot more to it.

Well there is more weight to it! :D

I think your company's stove is great if convenieince is your major factor.

Otherwise itis a lot of money to boil water. (So $40+$4 pot is less value than a "cooking system"? Never mind a turned over soda can for free for esbit)

Backpacking is about KISS. Why make it more complicated and expensive than it has to be? As I said, it is a great stove *IF* covenience is the major factor.

Thanks for posting though. Seriously, very few companies are willing to discuss their products directly and it should be commended. We may kid you a lot and not agree with your statement, but I think many of us will respect you for popping in here.

SGT Rock
10-25-2007, 17:25
Yes, thanks for posting. Now figure out how to make the system lighter. Seems awful odd to add 6 ounces to a stove system to save a few grams of fuel. Really, it does.

rafe
10-25-2007, 17:40
IMO... as a Jetboil PCS owner. If you break down the basic Jetboil PCS into its component parts, the only part that's "too heavy" is the actual burner unit. IIRC, it's about 5 or 6 oz, which is about 2-3 oz heavier than its equivalent (ie., a Pocket Rocket or Sno-Peak burner.)

The "system" itself isn't that overweight considering that it also includes the cooking pot, cozy, and handle.

Now, I know some of the magic of the Jetboil is in the burner unit -- ie., the design acts as an integral windscreen. But.... if you could figure out how to shave off that small bit of "excess weight" it would be even more appealing.

Also, please fix that piezo igniter, or just ditch it. It seems they don't last very long -- and I'm not the only one to notice that. Oh and while I'm dreaming of new work for you: how about a version that takes the large (8 oz net.) fuel containers. :D

SGT Rock
10-25-2007, 17:52
Well you could go like this:
Coleman F1 Ultralight = 2.7 ounces, $37
Scripto lighter = 0.6 ounces, $1
AGG aluminum 3cup pot = 3.8 ounces, $10
Windscreen from Wal Mart = 1.2 ounces, $4
AGG pot cozy = 1.3 ounces, $10
Pot lifter = 1.2 ounce, $2.50
MSR fuel bottle - 8 ounces, $4.50

So a whole set that replicates the JetBoil with about the same performance costs you about $70 with fuel and weighs 18.8 ounces. Cheaper and lighter than a JetBoil. I don't know what the overhead is though.

rafe
10-25-2007, 17:59
So a whole set that replicates the JetBoil with about the same performance costs you about $70 with fuel and weighs 18.8 ounces. Cheaper and lighter than a JetBoil. I don't know what the overhead is though.

It's why the JetBoil is a "system." You can't deny it's a tidy little package. I ain't dirtbagging -- I don't mind paying a little more for parts that fit nicely together. If it buys me a bit of time/convenience at camp -- without a lot of extra weight -- I'm all for it.

SGT Rock
10-25-2007, 18:01
And that is the SUV like niche.

rafe
10-25-2007, 18:03
And that is the SUV like niche.

Please, let us not make odious comparisons. :rolleyes:

SGT Rock
10-25-2007, 18:08
From my fox hole that is how it looks. People are willing to pay more, put up with a larger system, and deal with the drawbacks (which are rarely mentioned) in order to get a complete system. Sounds like the SUV craze to me.

Mags
10-25-2007, 18:12
I
Also, please fix that piezo igniter, or just ditch it. I

In a labor day weekend wind river trip, we had TWO people whose igniter broke. KISS! :)

SGT Rock
10-25-2007, 18:18
I forgot to mention the other thing that makes this like SUV niche - now that one stove system has had success, the others are racing to make their own SUVs.

Primus has their entry:
http://www.primus.se/primus/Flash/Produktfilmer/player_pretaeng2stor.html

JetBoil has it's starter and now lots of doo-dads (imagine buying extra parts just to use a normal pot:
http://www.jetboil.com/

MSR:
http://www.msrcorp.com/stoves/

Who is next. Snow peak? Coleman?

Just like SUVs LOL.

rafe
10-25-2007, 18:22
From my fox hole that is how it looks. People are willing to pay more, put up with a larger system, and deal with the drawbacks (which are rarely mentioned) in order to get a complete system. Sounds like the SUV craze to me.

Bull. SUVs suck 'cuz they're gas hogs, they're large and dangerous, and because they appeal to lizard-brains who figure, "better the other guy dies than me." This has nothing to do with backpacking gear, OK?

SGT Rock
10-25-2007, 18:27
Whatever. I see it, you don't. And I know a lot of people that drive SUVs. I don't know any of them that are lizard brained.

Mags
10-25-2007, 18:29
Jardine (whose word I do NOT think is gospel) used to call these doo-dads "cannon balls". Thinks to make life "easier" but end up making life hard. Usually marketed as something you "need".

Sounds about right...

See http://www.rayjardine.com/papers/essays/cannonballs.htm

SGT Rock
10-25-2007, 18:30
Jardine (whose word I do NOT think is gospel) used to call these doo-dads "cannon balls". Thinks to make life "easier" but end up making life "hard". Usually marketed as something you "need".

Sounds about right...
Amen brother Mags. JetBoils and filters.

Skidsteer
10-25-2007, 18:39
Windscreen from Wal Mart = 1.2 ounces, $4

I think I know what you're referring to here but I wanted to clarify; Do you mean your windscreen design made from a Wal-Mart grease pot?

SGT Rock
10-25-2007, 18:41
Yes. Although I have seen them made lighter and cheaper using aluminum pie plates.

And an apology to Terrapin. I didn't know he would take the analogy of an SUV to a JetBoil so hard. I don't make a value judgement on a person because they use a JetBoil, I just think folks may want to know there are lighter, cheaper, and better alternatives out there than buying a system. I reckon terrapin assumes since SUV owners are lizard brained I was calling him one.

rafe
10-25-2007, 18:58
And an apology to Terrapin. I didn't know he would take the analogy of an SUV to a JetBoil so hard. I don't make a value judgement on a person because they use a JetBoil, I just think folks may want to know there are lighter, cheaper, and better alternatives out there than buying a system. I reckon terrapin assumes since SUV owners are lizard brained I was calling him one.

No apology needed. Fact is, I own a JetBoil but haven't used it much. I first saw one used on the AT, by thru-hikers, in 2005 on a section in CT -- during a period when I was still lugging around a Zip stove. Compared to any other stove I'd used (and especially the Zip) the JetBoil just seemed a bit miraculous.

I don't generally judge a person by their gear choices, unless they're obviously, seriously stupid. Some folks swear by alcohol stoves; some folks swear that down bags can't be kept dry; some folks swear by Tarptents or tarps. A person's gotta use what works for them.

As for cost... it's just not a big deal, for me. My free time is worth a lot more than the gear I'm carrying.

But I still think the comparison to SUVs is bogus.

Two Speed
10-25-2007, 19:06
A friend has one. Makes great coffee, very fast but overweight IMHO. I really don't expect the other manufacturer's "me too" products to be all that much better. :cool:

Chache
10-25-2007, 22:27
When I was younger and had little money I hated the things I couldn't afford. Last week I drove a hummer thru the outback of Escalante,Utah and went hiking with my jet boil and a few other things I could have never afforded in my younger days. Jealousy will eat you up boys. Relax

Skidsteer
10-25-2007, 23:00
When I was younger and had little money I hated the things I couldn't afford. Last week I drove a hummer thru the outback of Escalante,Utah and went hiking with my jet boil and a few other things I could have never afforded in my younger days. Jealousy will eat you up boys. Relax

Trust me, there's a passel of us that can afford it. We choose not to. Jealousy has nothing to do with it.

Nightwalker
10-25-2007, 23:00
Yeah, I use my JetBoil at home all the time. Makes tea really fast. I don't carry it hiking, though. :)

rafe
10-25-2007, 23:17
Jardine (whose word I do NOT think is gospel) used to call these doo-dads "cannon balls".

As I recall, Mags, this is your thread. You even quoted the MSR press release at length and verbatim.

Bored today? Your turn to stir to poo? :rolleyes:

SGT Rock
10-26-2007, 00:20
LOL. Not jelous at all. But I am entertained.

EWS
10-26-2007, 00:27

It is $125 :rolleyes:

Mags
10-26-2007, 10:58
When I was younger and had little money I hated the things I couldn't afford. Last week I drove a hummer thru the outback of Escalante,Utah and went hiking with my jet boil and a few other things I could have never afforded in my younger days. J

Escalante is one of the most gorgeous places in the gorgeous state of Utah. (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=7953)

I don't see what a jetboil or a Hummer has to do with enjoying this place though. :)

I can afford a jet boil (but admittedly not a Hummer).

Though I can afford a jet boil, I'd never want one.

I can't afford a Hummer...I still don't want one..

And having been in Escalante, I really don't think I'll ever need a big SUV to enjoy the place. BE it the vehicle OR stove variety.

/not jealous of the stove
//DEFINITELY not jealous over the vehicle
///love my little pickup

Mags
10-26-2007, 11:00
As I recall, Mags, this is your thread. You even quoted the MSR press release at length and verbatim.

Bored today? Your turn to stir to poo? :rolleyes:

I forwarded it on a while ago. There was an earlier thread asking about the Reactor, I forwarded it on as an FYI as, at the time, there was no information. The thread lay dormant for a while, I replied to follow ups.

Nothing malicious I assure you. It is my thread..does that mean I can't comment on it ?!??!!? :D

SGT Rock
10-26-2007, 11:01
Now I am jelous of Mags little pickup. I sold my truck as a part of my thru-hike finance strategy. I'd love to have a truck again.

But not a JetBoil LOL.

Mags
10-26-2007, 11:11
Now I am jelous of Mags little pickup. I sold my truck as a part of my thru-hike finance strategy. I'd love to have a truck again.

Yep. It is about as basic as you can get: No power locks or windows, stick shift, 4 cyl. The only bad thing is that it is 2wd. I just make sure to put some weight in it. I also really need to get some chains before the winter comes. :O Then again, when I do go futher west into the state in winter, it is often with other people. Most of them have AWD Subbies that do well in the snow.

My buddies call the truck my RV. :) It is rigged for camping/backpacking/hiking on a moments notice. It came with a camper shell. I have built a removable sleep platform, have a plastic tote that has ALL the camping gear (stoves, utensils/plates/cookware, tent, etc..sleeping bags excluded.) in one compact area. Two camp chairs. A spare sleeping pad. An old army bag always in there "just in case". An old card table. All underneath the platform. Built the supports so my skis slip just under the platform studs. Yeah..I like my little toy. :)

But not a JetBoil LOL.

Heh..I hear ya!

rafe
10-26-2007, 11:47
Escalante is one of the most gorgeous places in the gorgeous state of Utah. (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=7953)

I'll second that emotion. (Photo of Calf Creek Falls attached.)

take-a-knee
10-26-2007, 11:48
I have you beat Mags, my old 92 EX cab Toyota has a camper shell and 4WD, and I had really rather have it than a Hummer. Parts for it are cheaper than any other import, not that you need many parts. It has just enough technology to be reliable (EFI) but not so much that I can't do a lot of my own repairs. I used to cuss that little 4-banger, now I smile as I ride past the gas station.

Mags
10-26-2007, 11:55
I have you beat Mags, my old 92 EX cab Toyota has a camper shell and 4WD, and I had really rather have it than a Hummer. Parts for it are cheaper than any other import, not that you need many parts. It has just enough technology to be reliable (EFI) but not so much that I can't do a lot of my own repairs. I used to cuss that little 4-banger, now I smile as I ride past the gas station.

yep..lack of 4wd is my only quibble. But, Dad gave it to me (provided I paid for shipping it out from Rhody to CO. He was a hard ass growing up..I think he is getting soft as he is getting older. ;) [1] ).

The 4banger is hard on the uphills. Just drop it to low, and all is good.

And yes..the MPG is MUCH better than the Hummers! :D

I have become a confirmed pick up truck lover.

[1] His modest condo unit will NOT allow trucks. Even a well maintained one with a camper shell. You can have an SUV 3x the size of my Sonoma though. Go figure. Stupid HOAs. Since Dad did not need the truck anymore, he gave it to me... Yep, he is getting soft as he is getting older. ;)

Mags
10-26-2007, 11:56
I'll second that emotion. (Photo of Calf Creek Falls attached.)

NICE!

REALLY NICE!

dessertrat
10-26-2007, 12:21

My boss could afford any car he wants, and drives a Civic Hybrid. So. . .

Pennsylvania Rose
10-26-2007, 12:26
Yep. It is about as basic as you can get: No power locks or windows, stick shift, 4 cyl. The only bad thing is that it is 2wd.

My buddies call the truck my RV. :) It is rigged for camping/backpacking/hiking on a moments notice. It came with a camper shell. I have built a removable sleep platform, have a plastic tote that has ALL the camping gear (stoves, utensils/plates/cookware, tent, etc..sleeping bags excluded.) in one compact area. Two camp chairs. A spare sleeping pad. An old army bag always in there "just in case". An old card table. All underneath the platform. Built the supports so my skis slip just under the platform studs. Yeah..I like my little toy. :)

Heh..I hear ya!

My brother would probably drive up from Taos and steal your truck if it was 4WD. His ancient Toyota is just about beyond repair and he's desperately scouring NM and CO for another cheap and reliable.

SGT Rock
10-26-2007, 12:39
Pickup trucks and dirbag stoves. Thank you Lord.

bajabackpacker
10-26-2007, 14:06
I know that the MSR Reactor is pretty heavy and all, but...

Most people resupply food every 5 days, right? I assume that people resupply food and gas at the same time and dont like to make stops for gas, right? So... if you enjoy some good ole hot water, (coffee and oatmeal in the morning, tea at night, rehydrate your food) it seems that at 2.8 liters of boiling per 1 oz of fuel that you'd be able to use a 4oz canister instead of an 8ozer (that's 4oz saving right there). Also, it's not like people throw away 20% full canisters, so if you're using say 6oz of fuel every 5 days you'll be stuck with 2oz + a new 8ozer and however much the canister itself weighs, that's a 6-7oz difference right there.

Obiwan
10-26-2007, 15:32
"I just think folks may want to know there are lighter, cheaper, and better alternatives out there"

Who gets to decide what is better?

Better for who?

There is always something lighter and cheaper

heck...I could build campfires every night and all I gotta carry is something to light it...But wait....I can make fire by finding two rocks to bang together.

or I can make a bow and drill me some fire

Too much bother to find rocks, bow making materials....

Aha....so convenience IS worth something now

So once we decide that convenience is worth something....doesn't everything else become personal choice?

And is that bad?

Why all the ultralight snobbery?

If I decide that having a floor on my shelter is worth a few extra ounces....does that hurt anyone else?

If I decide I like the Jetboil and the extra weight is worth being able to boil water while hiking....why does that put anyone else's panties in a twist?

SGT Rock
10-26-2007, 15:36
"I just think folks may want to know there are lighter, cheaper, and better alternatives out there"

Who gets to decide what is better?

Better for who?

There is always something lighter and cheaper

heck...I could build campfires every night and all I gotta carry is something to light it...But wait....I can make fire by finding two rocks to bang together.

or I can make a bow and drill me some fire

Too much bother to find rocks, bow making materials....

Aha....so convenience IS worth something now

So once we decide that convenience is worth something....doesn't everything else become personal choice?

And is that bad?

Why all the ultralight snobbery?

If I decide that having a floor on my shelter is worth a few extra ounces....does that hurt anyone else?

If I decide I like the Jetboil and the extra weight is worth being able to boil water while hiking....why does that put anyone else's panties in a twist?
Looks like you are the one with twisted panties. :D

take-a-knee
10-26-2007, 15:41
No one's panties are twisted Obiwan, a lot of guys and gals here used to think that they had to carry half their body weight on their backs to be comfortable in the woods. It just ain't so, we found that out and think it is a good thing, I don't see any snobbery or elitism in wanting to share the info, if you like toting the kitchen sink more power to you.

Mags
10-26-2007, 15:56
I still find it highly amusing that only flame i've received from my website e-mail was from a Jetboil user while I was on the CDT last year.

I mean, this dude was irate. He e-mailed me what is essentially a dissertation on why his stove is so great and why I am an idiot (his exact word!).

I felt more amused than anything. I said "Um, glad you like the stove. But I am off hiking from Canada to Mexico right now. I'd rather not debate a stove and its use right now. Happy trails!"

I mean, you don't see rabid packs of Coleman 425 users (http://www.hiltonstentcity.com/library/col-425-700.htm) out there. :D

A jetboil is $$$$, heavy.... but convenient to use.

If you like it..GREAT! But if you like it so much, why the polemic?

Besides..I cooked a dessert last weekend on a campfire. :) (admittedly, I used a bic lighter to start the fire).

As I've always said, there is no one "best stove". (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20055&highlight=real+world+stove+comparison) Different stoves have diffent plus and minuses. The biggest minus I now see with the JB stove is their users now put fatwas on JB heretics. ;)

rafe
10-26-2007, 16:09
... if you like toting the kitchen sink more power to you.

But truly, there's no winning this game. If you admit to carrying a "heavy" stove, the gram weenies are on your case. If you admit to counting grams, LW and Programbo are on your case. So much for HYOH...

FWIW, I think I have (or have owned) at least one sample of every type of camp stove out there, and at one point or another I've had each of them on the trail with me. My tastes and preferences change over time. I learn from other hikers.

The Svea is long dead, good riddance (sorry, RickB.) The Zip, Whisperlite, SimmerLight, JetBoil and TinMan (alky) stove are getting a well-deserved rest. All have served me well in the past. Pocket Rocket served me well this summer. Who knows what I'll take next time out? :-?

Tin Man
10-26-2007, 16:19
The Svea is long dead, good riddance (sorry, RickB.) The Zip, Whisperlite, SimmerLight, JetBoil and TinMan (alky) stove are getting a well-deserved rest. All have served me well in the past. Pocket Rocket served me well this summer. Who knows what I'll take next time out? :-?

Have you tried the MSR Super Fly? It is similar to the pocket rocket, but spreads the flame out a little more.

rafe
10-26-2007, 16:31
Have you tried the MSR Super Fly? It is similar to the pocket rocket, but spreads the flame out a little more.

No, the Pocket Rocket seems to do the job just fine. My cooking requirements are pretty simple. I've got three MSR stoves already... isn't that enough?? ;)

dessertrat
10-26-2007, 16:32
People are very defensive about their gear. (I am not, but I am weird). I think they think it reflects upon their judgment if it's not as "good" as the next guy's (or gal's) gear.

take-a-knee
10-26-2007, 16:44
People are very defensive about their gear. (I am not, but I am weird). I think they think it reflects upon their judgment if it's not as "good" as the next guy's (or gal's) gear.

Good point, but those with good judgement get past this. Just about everything I know, I was taught by someone else. I never have been all that smart but I know smart people when I see them.

And Terrapin, my SVEA 123 ain't dead, and if you offered me anything MSR makes and a C-note for it, I'd laugh. I already have two MSR stoves anyway.

Tin Man
10-26-2007, 16:47
No, the Pocket Rocket seems to do the job just fine. My cooking requirements are pretty simple. I've got three MSR stoves already... isn't that enough?? ;)

Thought you might be collecting... ;)

rafe
10-26-2007, 16:51
So why is it that folks are so gaga about that old Svea? I don't get it. Mine was always balky and noisy. I came close to burning down the WMNF on one occasion. Scared the bejezus outta me, I'll never forget that scene. Good riddance, I say.

Skidsteer
10-26-2007, 17:44
Yep. It is about as basic as you can get: No power locks or windows, stick shift, 4 cyl. The only bad thing is that it is 2wd. I just make sure to put some weight in it. I also really need to get some chains before the winter comes. :O Then again, when I do go futher west into the state in winter, it is often with other people. Most of them have AWD Subbies that do well in the snow.

Heh..I hear ya!

You need a good bumper sticker to add the finishing touch, Mags.;)

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Slush%20Fund/Slushfund047.jpg

Mags
10-26-2007, 17:47
You need a good bumper sticker to add the finishing touch, Mags.;)

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Slush%20Fund/Slushfund047.jpg

I LOVE IT! :D

cowpoke
10-26-2007, 19:05
I like my jetboil...but I also like my SUV (Suburban)....but I need the Suburban to haul my cattle trailer around...angus beef cattle...not sure why I bought the JB...but I like it....but what do I know...I'm really new to this...but I do believe in "hike your own hike"...cheers

take-a-knee
10-26-2007, 21:39
So why is it that folks are so gaga about that old Svea? I don't get it. Mine was always balky and noisy. I came close to burning down the WMNF on one occasion. Scared the bejezus outta me, I'll never forget that scene. Good riddance, I say.

I'm gaga about mine because Colin Fletcher used one for thousands of miles so, when I was sixteen years old and saw one on sale at the Western Auto for $14, I didn't hesitate. That was 31 years ago. I have a SVEA repair kit somewhere, I've never used. Mine has survived parachute jumps on two continents, and has a couple of dents in the tank as a result. In its day, it was the lightest thing around. It is the M1 Garand of backpacking stoves. I always primed mine with an eyedropper, flare ups were much less of a problem than anything MSR makes.

troglobil
10-27-2007, 09:44
I Also bought my Svea when I was sixteeen because of Colin Fletcher. I loved that stove back in the day. What more could you ask for. It was compact,had an attached windscreen, sturdy as all get up, very dependable,and it just plain looks cool. On a weekend hike, there was no need to carry extra fuel, the tank held plenty. I never had flare up problems with mine. It currently sits polished up on my desk.

rafe
10-27-2007, 10:01
I Also bought my Svea when I was sixteeen because of Colin Fletcher.

I bought my Whisperlite at age 36 'cuz my Svea was a POS. That was 18 years ago. I used it on last year's section hike thru NY/NJ and eastern PA.

I guess it's a classic case of YMMV. :D

troglobil
10-27-2007, 10:05
Mine was bought 29 years ago. It still works. :p

Mags
10-29-2007, 00:16
not sure why I bought the JB...but I like it....

And ultimately that is what is important. If it works for you AND you like it, what more could you ask for?

Now, just don't be like the JB user who wrote a nasty gram to me while I was out hiking and it is all good. :D

ps. I'll have to e-mail FishinFred and see if he still has a NO SNIVELING sticker available. My buddy and I actually discussed the NO SNIVELING saying after we did a 15 mile hike in (http://www.protrails.com/trail.php?trailID=68) the rain yesterday. The beers afterwards was our reward for NO SNIVELING. ;) I need that sticker now... (Of course, my friend wound up with a woman's number and I did not. Can I snivel about that ?!?!?!)

SGT Rock
10-29-2007, 10:33
And ultimately that is what is important. If it works for you AND you like it, what more could you ask for?

Now, just don't be like the JB user who wrote a nasty gram to me while I was out hiking and it is all good. :D

ps. I'll have to e-mail FishinFred and see if he still has a NO SNIVELING sticker available. My buddy and I actually discussed the NO SNIVELING saying after we did a 15 mile hike in (http://www.protrails.com/trail.php?trailID=68) the rain yesterday. The beers afterwards was our reward for NO SNIVELING. ;) I need that sticker now... (Of course, my friend wound up with a woman's number and I did not. Can I snivel about that ?!?!?!)
I have one I'll give you.