PDA

View Full Version : Big Anges, how to seal ends?

wrongway_08
08-24-2007, 14:44
Big Anges Inflatable/Insulated mummy cut pad.
After sleeping on the pad, I noticed that it is a lot wider then I need it to be. I was thinking of cutting off 3 of the baffles.
Anyone ever done this to a inflatable? I dont see any problems doing this, would just have to seal the two 1" air ways at the top and bottom but other then those two spots, the pad would still have a factory seal length wise.
I notice a lot of people trim down the foam pads to make a better fit. Figured it wouldnt be a big deal to cut one of these down - little more work that all.
Any thoughts?

Lanthar Mandragoran
08-24-2007, 17:31
eehhh... might work... I don't know that I'd put my trust in those inner seams / welds though... but maybe...

wrongway_08
08-24-2007, 17:53
Just looked at it again, I would have seal it all the way down the side also, dont think it would be a problem Just need to find out what type of glue Big Agnes uses to seal it - I did E-mail them, just waiting for a response.
Looks like some glue and some heat.

Skidsteer
08-24-2007, 17:58
Just looked at it again, I would have seal it all the way down the side also, dont think it would be a problem Just need to find out what type of glue Big Agnes uses to seal it - I did E-mail them, just waiting for a response.
Looks like some glue and some heat.

Umm. Pretty bad idea. Your money, though.

wrongway_08
08-24-2007, 20:24
Umm. Pretty bad idea. Your money, though.

Maybe....:-? ....one way to find out......:D .........might end up.....:datz........or I might be.......:dance ..........because this idea worked.

wrongway_08
08-27-2007, 12:44
I bought all the needed items to do this, then Big Anges got back to me. Sounds like they are going to make me a custom size! Not 100% sure yet but if they do then I will have my current one up for sale soon.

Quiet Chuck
08-27-2007, 14:10
I would be interested on how you made out. I plan to shorten my Therm-a-rest the same way. My concern is holding the seal. I think these types of pads are sealed with "Ultrasound" or something. Anyway let me know. Thank you.

QC:-?

wrongway_08
08-27-2007, 14:15
Well Big Agnes got back with me, they cant do custom orders - big bummer.
Soooooo.... as soon as the let me know that, I started slicing my pad apart.
Results:
Worked great! No problems at all, it was a lot easier then I thought. Talked to Big Agnes about what I was doing and they said to try a iron on it - that worked great! I sliced off 1.5 baffels width and then cut it down to 55" in length.
1) The width cut was easy, took the iron on its hottest setting and slowly walked it down the length of the pad, sealed it right up and I cant pull it apart.
2) The length cut (across the pad at 55") was a little tricky. I tried a few things, extra material to seal those spots by the center supports - that didnt work. Then I ended up taking appling flexible fabric glue only at the area by the supports. Then I took the iron and walked it across the bottom seam. This worked great! No air leaks, I made my seams a little wider then the factory seams just in case :) .
Factory specs -
width 20"
length 72"
weight 1 lb 7.5 oz

Modified specs -
width 15.5"
Length 52"
weight 12.20 oz

So for about 2 hours work I ended up saving 11.3 oz and if fits me the way I like it, not to mention it takes up less room in the pack also!

Creek Dancer
08-27-2007, 15:31
You might want to try some Seam Grip on those edges for added protection.