PDA

View Full Version : Compression Sack Size

TripleG
08-24-2007, 20:49
What is a good size compression sack for a sleeping bag ?

Thanks

wrongway_08
08-24-2007, 20:52
What model do you have? Temp rating?

firemountain
08-24-2007, 20:52
Which sleeping bag? Your question is not specific enough. I like Granite Gear sil nylon compression sacks for sleeping bags, but the size depends on yout bag.

TripleG
08-24-2007, 20:59
I am looking at getting a Western Mountaineering Ultralight Super 20 degree down bag.

What compression bag size would that be ?

Thanks ...

Jack Tarlin
08-24-2007, 21:10
The problem is that compression sack sizes aren't all uniform, i.e. a "small" one from Granite Gear might be different than a small one from Outdoor Research or somewhere else. So this is what I'd do:

1. Go to an Outfitter that sells both compression sacks and the bag you're
considering.
2. Talk to a sales associate, tell them what you're looking for.
3. They'll almost certainly let you try stuffing the bag in several different
sacks; in a few minutes you'll find one that fits well, i.e. one in which
the sleeping bag fits snugly without your having to give yourself an
embolism trying to cram it in there.
4. Whether or not you're buying the bag there or not, as a courtesy, you
might want to consider buying the sack from the store even if you're
probably gonna get the bag elsewhere, like On-Line.

tanpuma
08-24-2007, 23:08
that bag will squish down very small no compressing needed. put in the bottom of the pack, and shove things on top of it ( my method) Just use a regular sack. compression sacks are heavier, I only use one on my winter bag since its big. Other method: put s bag into a dry bag- sit on it - seal top.

7Sisters
08-25-2007, 05:40
If you don't care about having a waterproof stuff sack and can sew, it's very easy to convert your sleeping bagstuff sack into a compression sack. Any backpackping store that sells climbing gear will have the stuff you need (webbing and the plastic buckles)

Personally I use a waterproof stuff sack. I put all of my clothes and sleeping bag in it. I get extreme piece of mind knowing that if I'm out in the rain all day, I will have dry cloths and a dry bag. The additional weight is very much worth it for me. It also allows me to not carry a pack cover, which I find completely useless when I'm in the rain all day.

springerfever
08-25-2007, 08:25
You're actually better off using a regular stuffsack than a compression sack.
Once you 'tighten up' a compression sack you are looking at a rock hard semi-round mass to try to fit into your pack. Compression sacks also weigh more than the regular sacks.

Jack had a good idea with visiting an outfitter and trying various sizes, with your particular(or similar down) sleeping bag. A good place to start is the interior dimensions of the bottom of you pack. If you can't decide between a couple of sizes, go for the larger one; its so much easier to get back in the stuffsack with a little more room.

I haven't tried the no stuffsack approach, although it saves time and weight. I like the security of a silnylon bag protecting one of your most important pieces of gear.The stuffsack also makes an excellent pillow stuffed with a bit of clothing.........

Jack Tarlin
08-25-2007, 08:38
Quick note: If you already own the sleeping bag in question, try and make sure it's clean when you bring it in to shop for a compression or stuff sack. The staff at the the outfitter stores will be a lot more eager to help you if your sleeping bag isn't rank or nasty, as 99% of thru-hiker bags are. (On this note, you'll get better service in Outfitters, and everywhere else, if you try and do your shopping, if possible, after you've cleaned up a bit. Spending an hour trying on boots while wearing socks that you've had on for 5 days isn't goping to make you any friends).

7Sisters
08-25-2007, 08:54
You're actually better off using a regular stuffsack than a compression sack.
Once you 'tighten up' a compression sack you are looking at a rock hard semi-round mass to try to fit into your pack.

I've never found this to be an issue when packing. Sticking my clothes in there helps to round it out as well as keep both my clothes and sleeping bag dry (I use a waterproof stuff sack).

Regarding the weight difference - it really depends on how intense you are about weight. For me it's negligible, but I carry a full tooth brush and don't cut it to shed grams. ;)