PDA

View Full Version : Baxter State Parks Recieves a 2.7 Million Dollar Donation

Kirby
08-24-2007, 22:23
This thread is for those of you who wish to talk about the donation and the future of the park.

MODERATORS: No name bashing should be accepted. The only thing I want discussed in this thread is the donation and the future of the park in general. I request that any and all posts not related to the donation or the park be deleted.

Kirby

Ender
08-24-2007, 22:26
This is excellent news. The fact that it's going into a trust that could grow to $10 million is fantastic! I think they should name a trail after the guy. With good planning, this money will last for a long long time, and do an enormous amount of good for the park. Bravo!

woodsy
08-24-2007, 22:29
My hat goes off to Mr Trautmann for his generous donation to Baxter State Park. According to the article,this 2.7 million was just a portion of his generous donations to the park, he was also involved in donating toward the recent Katahdin Lake Purchase.
The world has givers and takers, you know which category you belong in.
Maine has been blessed with some outstanding givers and Baxter State Park is a testament of that.

Kirby
08-24-2007, 22:37
I was quite happy when I read this in my local paper this morning, its great news for the part and for everyone who enjoys the park.

Kirby

woodsy
08-25-2007, 07:52
And park use is declining. Interesting study here (http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/state/060728parks.shtml) about declining park use trends and problems associated with less revenue because of trend. Trend blamed on exploding preoccupation with internet and entertainment media.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-25-2007, 08:06
Wonderful news that Baxter has received this donation. As I understand it, Baxter is supported primarily thru user fees and such donations so it is especially nice that they got such a generous donation.

TJ aka Teej
08-25-2007, 08:06
The 86-year-old Trautmann, a retired manager in a southern New England manufacturing business, became a park volunteer two decades ago, helping with tasks that included building and maintaining trails.

"When the park needed some new lean-tos, with no money to fund the project, Frank went home to Islesboro, cut and milled trees from his property, prefabbed the lean-tos and took them to the park," Baldacci said. "He then camped at the sites until the lean-tos were assembled."

He leads by example. And he didn't just give 2.7 million - that was over and above the money he raised to help complete the Katahdin Lake purchase.
Bless his heart.

Appalachian Tater
08-25-2007, 10:44
It is people like Mr. Trautmann who make the world worth living in.

warren doyle
08-27-2007, 10:20
Thanks for the informative link contained in your post.
Very interesting.