PDA

View Full Version : Baxter State Park Question/Comment

campbell
08-25-2007, 08:40
I have 5 night reservations in Baxter State Park in the late September and early October time frame. My goal is to get one nice day out of the 5 to climb Katahadin. If I was to get a nice day early in my 5 day stay I would like to hike to Abol Bridge and back. This would get me out of the Baxter State Park entrance regulations and set me up for the 100 mile wilderness hike at a later date. I would appreciate any comments or information regarding my possible plan. Also, would it be possible for me to hitch a ride back into the park later in the afternoon or should I just plan on spending a night at Abol Bridge and hike back in the morning?

Thank You

Lone Wolf
08-25-2007, 08:43
hitching is possible. i've done it before. it's a good plan

Jack Tarlin
08-25-2007, 08:44
1. Late September is usually really nice up there. 5 days should be ample
time to do what you want to do; you'll probably have time to do more
than Katahdin....and you should.
2. Depending on what time of day you arrive, hitching out of Abol isn't hard.
3. If you have to spend the night there, that isn't bad either. The folks at
the store/campground are very pleasant.
4. In any case, with a 5-day time frame, you'll be able to accomplish
everything you want.

TJ aka Teej
08-25-2007, 09:18
I have 5 night reservations in Baxter State Park in the late September and early October time frame. My goal is to get one nice day out of the 5 to climb Katahadin. If I was to get a nice day early in my 5 day stay I would like to hike to Abol Bridge and back. This would get me out of the Baxter State Park entrance regulations and set me up for the 100 mile wilderness hike at a later date. I would appreciate any comments or information regarding my possible plan. Also, would it be possible for me to hitch a ride back into the park later in the afternoon or should I just plan on spending a night at Abol Bridge and hike back in the morning?

Thank You
What campground are you at, campbell?
For your there-and-back-again out to Abol Bridge, consider making it a loop by coming back via the Blueberry Ridge trail that runs from the Birches (the AT site just S of Katahdin Stream Campground) to the AT info kiosk.
What 'entrance regulations'? Do you refer to the regs for staying at the Birches? And hitching is really not a problem inside the Park, but its better to network and talk up the Rangers and your neighbors. I've worked out car drops/spottings many times this way.
Ask away, WB has lots of hikers familiar with Baxter to help you plan!

naturejunkie
08-25-2007, 11:22
There is a little store right on the road by Abol Bridge with fairly regular traffic, you should be able to get a ride into the park from there. Once in the park you can probably flag down a ranger for a ride.

In the alternative if you're hiking back, turn right shortly before your get to the Baxter State entrance sign on the trail and hike down the snowmobile track/road, which will take you to a road inside the park where you can probably flag someone down.

warraghiyagey
08-25-2007, 12:56
For a little more hiking fun and trail time you might also consider hiking the three miles from Abol Bridge south on the AT (across the bridge a few hundred yards and to the left) and stay at Hurd Brook lean-to.
Also, there are usually some trail friendly folks around the General Store (great trail place by the way) at Abol Bridge that would drive you a couple miles east to see the moose feeding in the lakes.
Enjoy your week there.

campbell
08-26-2007, 10:33
TJ, My brother made the reservations and I can’t get in contact with him to be certain of where we are staying. But I am almost certain we are in a cabin in the Kidney Pond area. Hopefully that will be close or within walking distance to the AT Trail that climbs Katahdin?

The entrance regulations I refer to are only the numbers allowed to enter the park. Later I want to do the 100 mile wilderness hike and if I can get Katahdin and the park hiked on this trip, then in the future I can get dropped off at Abol Bridge fresh with a fresh set of supplies to head south and not have to worry if I can get into the park and also not having to do the section of the park in conjunction with the 100 mile wilderness. I am not sure how tough the 100 mile wilderness hike will be on me and my hope is to make the 100 mile wilderness hike the only focus on my next hike.

Thanks for the suggestions TJ and thanks to all the others for their helpful information.

TJ aka Teej
08-26-2007, 11:32
TJ, My brother made the reservations and I can’t get in contact with him to be certain of where we are staying. But I am almost certain we are in a cabin in the Kidney Pond area. Hopefully that will be close or within walking distance to the AT Trail that climbs Katahdin?
Kidney Pond is a classic old timey camp - you'll enjoy your stay! It's only a few miles N of the AT. Make sure you visit the library and take a canoe out at sunset one day! I don't recommend road walking inside Baxter, the road is narrow, winding, and the cars speed along recklessly at times. I've suggested many times the AT road walk be eliminated, and perhaps when the old Grassy Pond trail reopens it might happen. Katahdin Stream Campground, where the AT trailhead up the Mountain is located, has lots of parking - and if you're staying elsewhere inside the Park you're allowed to park there. Get to all trailheads as early in the day as possible.
As far as limiting numbers inside the Park, that has to do with cars fitting into the parking lots, not how many people are in those cars. And as for AT and IAT long distance hikers, although there's a 12 person limit at the Birches, no LD hiker needing a spot in the Park has ever been turned away to my knowledge. The Rangers and Trailrunner will try hard to find you a spot.
Don't forget http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/ to see hiking info and maps of the Park and campgrounds, and don't be shy about calling the Park and chatting with the Rangers - they are extremely well informed and experienced and are there to help people enjoy Gov. Baxter's gift to us!
have fun!

Just a Hiker
08-26-2007, 14:11
Hey there Campbell,

Your plan sounds really good. You will be able to get everything you want to accomplish in 5 days. TJ mentioned the Blueberry Ridge trail which would be a nice loop hike from Katahdin stream to Abol Bridge and back to the Birches. The trail leaving the park is relatively flat and the fords won't be bad this time of year.

Have Fun!

Just Jim