PDA

View Full Version : Posting Hiker's Locations Question

rickb
08-25-2007, 09:01
Is it considered good form to post a hiker's location on this web site if you don't have explicit permission from that hiker to do so?

Is this something that happens with any frequency?

Lone Wolf
08-25-2007, 09:04
in gump's case, he posted it on another site so i'm sure he wouldn't mind it being posted here. as far as others, you may be right. that 2007 hiker sighting thread is dumb

Jack Tarlin
08-25-2007, 09:16
In Mountain Squid's case, like when he posts on the "2007 hikers" thread, he ALWAYS asks people if they'd mind if he posted this information. How do I know this? Because I've witnessed him doing this, as recently as yesterday.

But Rick raised a good point. A little prudence in this regard is a good idea, especially when it comes to women hikers. Not everyone wants their exact whereabouts known to the world, for any number of reasons, and this should be respected.

TJ aka Teej
08-25-2007, 09:25
I always consider privacy and safety when sharing information, on the Trail, in Town, in email, and on the at-l and here.

SGT Rock
08-25-2007, 10:26
Never much thought about it. I reckon there should be times when a person's location is best kept secret.

Askus3
08-28-2007, 03:31
I mention to all thru-hikers I meet that i will be posting their whereabouts on Whiteblaze.net . Most don't mind and some have not heard of us! So my thread gets the green light.