PDA

View Full Version : GSI Hard Anodized Pot. (Titanium convert)

Heater
08-25-2007, 10:31
I had the MSR Blacklight... It flaked. I had a Evernew Ti pot that I liked but it did not heat evenly and the non-stick wore off. (I loved the pot otherwise.)

I have had the GSI Hard Anodized Pots for a while now. I got the small set which was about 40 bucks cheaper than my Ti set and it performs MUCH better. Heats evenly, Rice does not stick and the non-stck coating is al good!
Doesn't weigh much more. Perfect.

I would recommend the GSI Pots to anyone. I maily use the smaller pot (.9 litre) becase it seems to be the perfect size for one person.

Heater
08-25-2007, 10:33
I had the MSR Blacklight... It flaked. I had a Evernew Ti pot that I liked but it did not heat evenly and the non-stick wore off. (I loved the pot otherwise.)

I have had the GSI Hard Anodized Pots for a while now. I got the small set which was about 40 bucks cheaper than my Ti set and it performs MUCH better. Heats evenly, Rice does not stick and the non-stck coating is al good!
Doesn't weigh much more. Perfect.

I would recommend the GSI Pots to anyone. I maily use the smaller pot (.9 litre) becase it seems to be the perfect size for one person.

My pots (http://www.rei.com/product/750380)

.................................................. ..................................................

sarbar
08-25-2007, 18:26
My pots (http://www.rei.com/product/750380)

.................................................. ..................................................

Good set. It was my first real set of pans, and I still take them on trips where I do real cooking. They have taken abuse like crazy.

SGT Rock
08-26-2007, 08:21
What does it weigh?

Heater
08-26-2007, 08:37
What does it weigh?

For the .9 litre - 9 oz even for the pot and frypan lid. 2 3/8 oz. for the handle. Not the lightest but I like it a lot better than my Ti pot.

You want the weight of the 1.4 litre?

I think part of the reason it heats more evenly is the circles scored into the bottom of the pot. It isn't smooth. Also wont slide as easy.

SGT Rock
08-26-2007, 08:57
Naw, that tells me what I needed to know. Thanks!

Heater
08-26-2007, 09:04
Naw, that tells me what I needed to know. Thanks!

Twice as much as the Ti counterpart with the handle. I know. I know. :D

I don't cut my toothbrush down either. :p

sarbar
08-26-2007, 10:08
They are heavy pans, but if one is doing actual cooking on the trail, it is worth the weight. Sure my Titan Ti Kettle is light, but lord, I'd never cook in it! It would scorch my food in a blink.

Heater
08-26-2007, 10:18
They are heavy pans, but if one is doing actual cooking on the trail, it is worth the weight. Sure my Titan Ti Kettle is light, but lord, I'd never cook in it! It would scorch my food in a blink.

That's what I love about it. It doesn't take much time to completely ruin a rice dish. I can heat the water throw in the rice and mix in the ingedients and go on about my buisness. I just stir it up occasionally to get things mixed up real good. No problems yet. It's worth the extra five oz. to me not to have the burnt taste and just having to wipe clean it instead of scrubbing.

Stobl
08-26-2007, 12:10
have any of you tried the gsi double boiler? gives you a .5 an 1l pot with a lid that fits both. incredibly lite too. it has the hard anodized finish and its taken a lot of abuse and still held up incredibly well.

the great part is it actually weighs less than a lot of titanum pots of the same size that i was looking at, and costs a lot less. I cant find where i wrote it down but i think the bigger pot is right around 5.4oz.and the smaller is even less.

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/detail.aspx?p=50132&lu=%2fDefault.aspx&c=4&&a=9
heres the manufacturer's site on it. but definately worth it in my opinion.

fehchet
08-26-2007, 12:41
I have a set of titanium pots. To avoid any scorching problem, one needs a stove that can do a low simmer. A small bit of coconut oil works great as well. I like to saute some fresh veggies before adding a Lipton rice dish or something similar. There are new pots out there with nano technology that can take an extremely high heat. I haven't looked for them yet because I wouldn't be justified in spending the money. Probably be good for alcohol stoves or those torch burners.

Alligator
08-26-2007, 12:46

...I had a bad scorch on my Evernew Ti pot that took off some of the non-stick too. I scorched it with my Simmerlite. I find I have to be a bit more careful because the pot is thin and that it doesn't heat as evenly with my brasslite stove. The cone flame doesn't distribute as well as a more regular burner flame.

Heater
08-26-2007, 13:00
I had a bad scorch on my Evernew Ti pot that took off some of the non-stick too. I scorched it with my Simmerlite. I find I have to be a bit more careful because the pot is thin and that it doesn't heat as evenly with my brasslite stove. The cone flame doesn't distribute as well as a more regular burner flame.

Same stove got me too. Scorched mine with a Simmerlite. :D

sarbar
08-26-2007, 18:46
The GSI Double Boiler is a great set, but for actual cooking I wouldn't recomend it (I had the set before I got my Titan Kettle). The Boiler set is built similar to the Titan (tall and skinny). Great for boiling water or cooking soup, but not great for cooking meals.