PDA

View Full Version : the PCT solo.. Good idea, bad idea?

DavidNH
08-25-2007, 16:08
I have already thru hiked the AT solo .. well met folks along the way of course but always kept to own itinerary and was self sufficient.

The PCT I know is a far more remote trail and I believe much less travelled. what do folks think about hiking this trail solo? Would I be relatively safe given things can go wrong and lack of access to any help?

anyone know of any hikers who have solo'd the PCT? (aside from the lightening fast folks like flyin brian or squeeky).

I would be especially interested in feedback from anyone who has him/herself solo hiked the PCT .. in normal time frame of 5+months. What was it like? too lonely? where you confident or at all scared (injuries, bears, losing one's way)?

Is the PCT well marked like the AT or is there some work finding one's way in spots..like on the CDT?

I would kind of like to do this trail one day.. I hear it is amazingly beautiful. But I have no buddys to hike with... and surely have no connections for a hike of this magnitude. The remoteness of this trail does give me pause. Being 200 miles from the nearest road.. the slightest mishap..big trouble. On the AT at least one is never far from a town or road and someone will pass by within an hour!

David

DavidNH
08-25-2007, 16:10
Wish I could have edited post but can't so this goes with my other PCT post...

I wanted to add.. I had no trouble being alone through the 100 mile wilderness.. loved it in fact.. but that was only for a few days.. and only on a couple nights did i actually camp totally alone. On the AT a truly solo hike is almost impossible as you there are almost always people who cross your path or who you see in eves.

David

Sly
08-25-2007, 16:15
There's lots of hikers on the PCT in the time frame most thru-hike the trail. Although I started and ended with someone, I hiked most of the trail solo, over two seasons.

Also, you'll most likely see some from the year you hiked the AT as many follow up with the PCT.

Sly
08-25-2007, 16:18
I might add, the PCT is pretty straight foward and easy to follow. The exception being when it's under snow. I found the guidebook and guidebook maps to be adequete.

taildragger
08-25-2007, 18:37
Check out the trailjournals, there should be some people from year to year that solo it, this way you can see what they were thinking on the trail. I know that when I do the California portion of the trail next summer I'll be soloing most if not all of it (I cannot find anyone to take off 3 months, and I cannot start at the kick off).

TwoForty
08-25-2007, 18:56
You'll have tons of hiking buddies if you leave with the kickoff.

Footslogger
08-25-2007, 19:44
I have already thru hiked the AT solo .. well met folks along the way of course but always kept to own itinerary and was self sufficient.

The PCT I know is a far more remote trail and I believe much less travelled. what do folks think about hiking this trail solo? Would I be relatively safe given things can go wrong and lack of access to any help?

anyone know of any hikers who have solo'd the PCT? (aside from the lightening fast folks like flyin brian or squeeky).

I would be especially interested in feedback from anyone who has him/herself solo hiked the PCT .. in normal time frame of 5+months. What was it like? too lonely? where you confident or at all scared (injuries, bears, losing one's way)?

Is the PCT well marked like the AT or is there some work finding one's way in spots..like on the CDT?

I would kind of like to do this trail one day.. I hear it is amazingly beautiful. But I have no buddys to hike with... and surely have no connections for a hike of this magnitude. The remoteness of this trail does give me pause. Being 200 miles from the nearest road.. the slightest mishap..big trouble. On the AT at least one is never far from a town or road and someone will pass by within an hour!

David
=============================================

David ...I've got the PCT on my 2009 calendar and at the moment I am planning on hiking it solo. That said, I will most likely start before the kick off and hitch back. My guess is that by then I will have met a hiker or two or three that share my pace and hike along with them ...at least through the Sierra.

I too hiked the AT solo (or at least I had no formal hiking partner(s) But I did from time to time hiking along with a group and in fact finished the hike with several hikers.

'Slogger

The Weasel
08-25-2007, 19:53

David

David:

There is a huge amount of PCT info out there; let me know if you really need links. I'm in So Cal and would be glad to help you.

If you can, consider visiting "Zero Day" next year. It's the traditional "starting line up". A lot of people do it "solo", and while more remote than the AT, it's not a major problem.

Here is the "Zero Day" for "ADZPCTKO" (pronounced Adzz-Pict-Ko) in Campo, CA area.

http://www.siechert.org/adz/

PM me or ask here if you want more links.

The Weasel

Mags
08-27-2007, 11:34
I wrote this doc for an ALDHA PCT workshop. Should get you pointed in the right direction:
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=30

The PCT is not as highly trafficed as the AT, but because the window of hiking is smaller than the AT, you will see people. The PCT is nice in that you can get solitude if desired or a group hike.

It is very easy to follow for the most part. In some ways it is easier than the AT.

Enjoy the trail!

bobwhite
08-27-2007, 11:40
I did a south bound PCT hike and was alone most of the time. It was one of the best experiences of my life.

Lyle
08-27-2007, 11:41
"It is very easy to follow for the most part. In some ways it is easier than the AT."

Just curious Mags, how is it easier to follow? Less undergrowth?

Mags
08-27-2007, 11:45
"It is very easy to follow for the most part. In some ways it is easier than the AT."

I was a bit unclear in my post. I apologize.

I mean that the PCT was in someways easier than the AT overall.

The AT is physically more difficult (rockier, rootier, steeper climbs).

The PCT is logistically more difficult (resupply, the desert and snowfields, etc, though easy to follow not nearly as well blazed as the AT)

I hope this makes more sense.

Sly
08-27-2007, 13:25
I wrote this doc for an ALDHA PCT workshop. Should get you pointed in the right direction:
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=30

Well done Mags. Everything you need to know about planning/hiking the PCT packed into a single page.

Mags
08-27-2007, 13:29
Well done Mags. Everything you need to know about planning/hiking the PCT packed into a single page.

Yep. I'm a strong believer in the KISS principle. :)

I really should do one for the CDT at some point...

Sly
08-27-2007, 13:48

The pay sucks but, you're hired! :p

PS. I'll add it to the CDT forum here as a sticky.

Mags
08-27-2007, 13:57
The pay sucks but, you're hired! :p

PS. I'll add it to the CDT forum here as a sticky.

Heh..I'll start working on it next week. How does that sound?

I am gearing up for a 4 day trip in the Winds!

Woo hoo!

Footslogger
08-27-2007, 13:58

Woo hoo!

=======================================

Whereabouts in the Winds ??

We're headed somewhere west of Laramie either late Saturday or early Sunday but haven't picked a spot yet.

'Slogger

Mags
08-27-2007, 14:10
We are going to Little Wind River valley. It is on reservation land and it requires an $80 (!) permit..but man, the topo maps make it out to be so beautiful. A bit expensive, but then I think how many people spend more than that on say golf and it does not sound so bad. :)

It is smack up against the divide, lots of alpine lakes, and few people.

I can't wait..

(sorry for the thread drift. :O)

Sly
08-27-2007, 14:54
Heh..I'll start working on it next week. How does that sound?

Woo hoo!

LOL... next week will be fine! ;)

Enjoy your hike....

The Weasel
08-27-2007, 16:14

Unlike the AT, the PCT was designed (ugh!) to be accessible pretty much the whole way (particulary in CA) by horses, which means it is much more graded than a lot of the AT, and usually wider. That is one of the major reasons why people can eat a lot more miles on the PCT.

This is NOT to say that one is easier than the other. THAT debate is ongoing, and meaningless.

The Weasel

Lyle
08-27-2007, 21:39
Thanks Mags/Weasel

I've hiked a few miles of the PCT north of Cottonwood pass and have several friends who have thrued it. It's on my list of future long-distance trips.

I know most people agree that the physical hiking is easier on the PCT (for the most part) due to the things you both mentioned, but I had never heard that it was easier to follow. I had always been under the impression that it took more navigation skill than the the AT. I was just curious if Mags thought differently. You cleared this up and I thank you.

The Weasel
08-27-2007, 21:53
Yep. I'm a strong believer in the KISS principle. :)

Mags, just read your PCT writeup. That's a damn fine piece of work to introduce people to it. NOTHING in it that I'd change from what I've seeen out here. Only think I might add is that California National Forests and, I think, State Forests, require a 'fire permit' (good in all of them) that is very important due to the high risk of forest fires. It's required for any stove, and it's a good idea.

Great job. Really.

The Weasel

Mags
08-28-2007, 11:33
Great job. Really.

The Weasel

Thanks!

I wrote it 5 yrs ago and need to tweak it a little bit.(the passport info for example, and the fire permits which were not enforced as much in 2002 vs. now)

Add it to my TO DO list. I even have to do my work here in the office once in a while, too. :D

Ewker
08-28-2007, 11:35
Thanks!

I wrote it 5 yrs ago and need to tweak it a little bit.(the passport info for example, and the fire permits which were not enforced as much in 2002 vs. now)

Add it to my TO DO list. I even have to do my work here in the office once in a while, too. :D

you work :eek: ;)

Mags
08-28-2007, 11:40
you work :eek: ;)

Heh. Yep like many veterans of IT, i've perfected getting my work done AND being able to surf the web at the same time.

It is a skill I usually do not put on my resume' though. ;)

Tha Wookie
08-28-2007, 11:43
Heh. Yep like many veterans of IT, i've perfected getting my work done AND being able to surf the web at the same time.

It is a skill I usually do not put on my resume' though. ;)

Yeah me neither. lol

Alligator
08-28-2007, 13:19
Yeah me neither. lolProficient Multitasker;) .