PDA

View Full Version : Nitrile Gloves

Newb
08-26-2007, 15:27
I just picked up a couple of pair of Atlas nitrile gloves at Hudson Trail Outfitters to use this fall/winter. They seem really cool...a rubber-like palm and finger enclosure with various materials on the wrist and hand. They're super inexpensive and seem to be the answer to lightweight protection for hiking..l..Anyone else using them?

Jim Adams
08-26-2007, 22:44
Use them on the ambulance. They are used primarily while treating patients who are allergic to latex. They work great to keep your hands warmer while washing dishes, getting water, etc. I hope that you don't want to hike in them. They will protect your hands from the wind and rain however they will also make you hands sweat and then they will chill.

geek

Dances with Mice
08-26-2007, 23:22
Use them on the ambulance. They are used primarily while treating patients who are allergic to latex. They work great to keep your hands warmer while washing dishes, getting water, etc. I hope that you don't want to hike in them. They will protect your hands from the wind and rain however they will also make you hands sweat and then they will chill.Slightly different animals being discussed, I think.

The protective nitrile gloves (the purple ones?) are single layer, single use disposable items sold by the box. They're great, I wear them about 6 hours a day most work days. A series of them, I mean, not the same pair. They're impervious to many chemicals so they handle almost all of my personal protection needs. They're comfortable enough for indoor work that I sometimes catch myself walking out of the building with them on - but that may say more about my absent-mindedness than the gloves. You'd think the bright purple color would be a clue.

The gloves originally described in this thread are, I believe, a multiple layered glove, sold by the pair, more durable and comfortable with an interior lining and an exterior coating of nitrile. They were first made for factory assembly work, then gardeners discovered them. Now if it's the same gloves I'm thinking about they might be entering the hiking world.

Jim Adams
08-26-2007, 23:32
dances with mice,
thanks ! I've never seen the ones that your talking about. Do they work good for hiking?

geek

Dances with Mice
08-27-2007, 01:03
dances with mice,
thanks ! I've never seen the ones that your talking about. Do they work good for hiking?We'll have to ask Newb.

I have a couple pair of gardening / light work gloves and just know that the last couple of years glove manufacturers have come out with different composite material gloves - they're starting to look sort of like running shoes. They're much more comfortable than the all-leather style. I still prefer leather on the fingers and palms, but I've seen the nitrile coated versions.

Newb
08-27-2007, 07:38
I got them at Hudson Trail Outfitters. They have a rack with 3 models of nitrile gloves. The label markets them as "Atlas Nitrile" gloves. One is labeled as model "370". They have a wool or spandex upper (depending on model) with nitrile palm and finger/fingertips.

Jim Adams
08-27-2007, 19:14
I got them at Hudson Trail Outfitters. They have a rack with 3 models of nitrile gloves. The label markets them as "Atlas Nitrile" gloves. One is labeled as model "370". They have a wool or spandex upper (depending on model) with nitrile palm and finger/fingertips.

Let me know how they work. Thanks:cool:

geek

Newb
08-28-2007, 10:07
Here's a link to a quick photo I took of these beasts...

CLICK HERE (http://www.troutworld.com/photos/gloves.jpg)