PDA

View Full Version : Want to do a section on a long weekend...

FFTorched
08-27-2007, 03:08
I'm in North Carolina and would like to do about a section hike on the AT. I am figuring somewhere between 30-40 miles. I would like to know a good section where to park vehicles and trailhead access. Also I want the vehicles to be safe while on the hike.
Thanks,
FFTorched

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-27-2007, 05:42
Here is a site that may help you find a good parking area:
http://rohland.homedns.org/at/at_menu.aspx

And this site may help you find a section that meets your needs:
http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/sections.php

If I were doing this, I would look at Damascus to Grayson Highlands State Park in SW VA. Not sure what the water situation is up there, but it is some beautiful country.

bigcranky
08-27-2007, 12:23
Hi, Josh,

There are some great sections in North Carolina, Tennessee, and SW Virginia. A few of my favorites:

1. Fontana Dam south to Nantahala Outdoor Center. About 30 miles, tough section. Park at The Hike Inn near Fontana Dam, and have Jeff and Nancy Hoch pick you up at NOC when you are done.

2. The Standing Indian loop. About 25 miles. Park at the trailhead at Standing Indian Campground. The AT makes a big loop here, with a couple of different ways to get up to it (Kimsey Creek Trail, Long Branch Trail, plus others).

3. Winding Stair Gap to NOC. This is near Franklin, NC. Call Ron Haven to set up a shuttle and a place to park. (You can probably park at NOC.)

4. Davenport Gap to Hot Springs. 30-ish miles, great hike. The outfitter in H.S. can shuttle you, or you can have Curtis from Standing Bear Farm pick you up in H.S. and drive you back to Davenport Gap.

5. US 19-E to Erwin, TN. This is spectacular, about 45 miles of incredible views. Don't park at the trailhead -- leave your car in Erwin and get a shuttle to 19-E. Not sure if Miss Janet is still doing shuttles, but you could call her.

6. Damascus, VA, to Kincora Hostel. 50 miles of great ridgeline walk -- best from late fall to early spring, when you get good views. Park at Kincora and have Bob Peoples drive you up to Damascus. Plan to stay a night at the hostel.

7. What F.D. said -- but I would go the other way, from Massey Gap southbound to Damascus. Lone Wolf can shuttle you, and you can park in Damascus.

There's plenty more, but that might be a good start....

FFTorched
08-27-2007, 13:01
Thanks for the tip ideas, I am looking at them to see which ones are the best option for me.

elray
08-27-2007, 13:28
We did the Massey Gap to Damascus last Sept. Took a long leasurely week and cooked every noon and night. A Premier Section Hike and the parking/shuttle service from The hostel is dependable and secure. Hope you choose that one and enjoy.

g8trh8tr
08-27-2007, 17:15
I 2nd the Davenport Gap to Hot Springs hike. Beautiful area.

Rambler
09-03-2007, 22:26
Miss Janet will help shuttle you. Send her a private message at this site.