PDA

View Full Version : This Forum

attroll
11-02-2003, 15:31
It does not seem to me that this forum is working out. I was trying to create a forum for the serious questions and answers. I am sorry I even tried to do this. But I did it for the serious users that wanted to be straight forward.

I don't want to compare this to another site that is straight forward and serious all the time. I just wanted to create one for the people that did not like the idol chit chat and the straying from the subject a little like the rest of us do.

Streamweaver
11-02-2003, 17:35
Well there is already 2 threads on here that dont belong! Delete them and maybe they will get the hint!! Streamweaver

Too bad you cant set up something to automatically zap any post by jumble jowles!!

TJ aka Teej
11-02-2003, 19:16
Originally posted by attroll
It does not seem to me that this forum is working out. I was trying to create a forum for the serious questions and answers. I am sorry I even tried to do this. But I did it for the serious users that wanted to be straight forward.

I think it is a good idea, ATT. But then the first thread posted was a nonsense one about "up or down." Hardly a serious topic.
Keep it open, just be quick with the delete button.

steve hiker
11-02-2003, 19:20
I'm so sorry guys i didnt mean to make U mad. Will you be my friend? Do U like me?

JimSproul
11-02-2003, 20:08
Sorry, perhaps clearer explanation of "serious" would help.

Matt Pincham
11-05-2003, 07:43
Perhaps the most helpful aspect of this website is when you can get an answer that also involves chit chat.

Straightforward answers aren't always the best because you then need to ask another question if the 'straightforward answer' hasn't told all...if you know what I mean!

I for one, ask plenty of questions, and really enjoy (most of the time) the answers I get, even if the people do babble on a bit. Keep it simple Troll.

Matt

SGT Rock
11-05-2003, 10:13
I tend to agree with Matt on that.

Presto
11-05-2003, 12:03
This is the best, most active, web-based AT forum on the internet. Take the good with the bad. I see many helpful posts here and know that many people on this board have a serious passion for the AT. As the site gets more popular we will undoubtably experience an increase in the number of rediculous posts. The only way to battle it is to have a moderator deleting these posts, which can be very time consuming. OR we can all stay on topic and ignore those who post nonsense. This topic is typically one that I wouldn't reply to due to the nature of the thread - I find that this entire thread is detrimental to the site, but I just want to assure everyone that some of us find this site a valuable resource.

Nightwalker
11-21-2003, 15:32
I think it is a good idea, ATT. But then the first thread posted was a nonsense one about "up or down." Hardly a serious topic.
Keep it open, just be quick with the delete button.

Maybe not serious, but interesting nevertheless.

Frank

Rain Man
11-21-2003, 15:59
... OR we can all stay on topic and ignore those who post nonsense. ....

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap

Big Guy
11-21-2003, 21:27
ATTROL: I almost use this site exclusively for backpacking and hiking information and discussions. Some of the chatter and wandering is a price I am willing to pay for the other valuable aspects. Also I don't have to put up with pop up ads. I can quickly scan the new posts and sort out what I am not going to pay any atttention to. Keep up the great job on a valuable site to me who is always trying to learn from others to improve my hiking and backpacking, including trips on the AT.

The Weasel
11-22-2003, 00:57
Maybe not serious, but interesting nevertheless.

Frank

Well, the guilty party gets a few words before sentence is passed.....

I posed the "Up or Down" question as, yes, the first one in this forum. And I guess it's a little bit of "you say to-MAY-to, I say to-MAH-to."

It has long struck me that backpacking, much like Gaul, can be divided into three parts: Walking, stuff you carry while you're walking, and places you start walking from, stop at or finish at. Pretty much the rest of the topics here fall under one of those. And on the AT, there ain't a lot of level walking; if you like flat, stay in Kansas, Dorothy.

So how people feel about going "up" and "down" is frankly a very pointed discussion about what 90% of walking the AT is. Advice on how to do each (and which you like or hate most) has a lot more of an effect on your life on the Trail than whether you boil or filter (or neither) your water. (Which is another topic entirely. If you want to get into THAT, start your own!)

Up. Down. Over and over. 2,160 miles and change of it.

The Weasel

mntman777
11-22-2003, 01:12

I don't want to compare this to another site that is straight forward and serious all the time. I just wanted to create one for the people that did not like the idol chit chat and the straying from the subject a little like the rest of us do.
I want to apologise for taking this web site or at least a thread, or post away from its original purpose or intention, and waisting anyones time by getting involved in and partly for keeping a certain thread/post going. Sincerely, mntman

meBrad
11-23-2003, 08:44
I joined this website in mid summer and found the welcome I received to be greatly less than civil. There are certainly members here who are well informed, passionate and civil but there was more abusive replies to my posts than I could tolerate as well as simply irrelevant taunting and jabber. I mostly blame the level of moderation going on. There are trolls and flamers who will show up on any forum you might choose to start. If you wish this forum or any part of the site civil you must respond to the B.S. consistently, firmly and promptly. If there is a post that may be interpreted either way it may be appropriate to request further interpretation from the original poster.

The most offensive habit I see in the posts here and in other forums it that of making personal attacks on someone without providing any information. The sort of post that says "you're an idiot for thinking the way you do" without stating any alternative perspective or enlightening information.

In the early fall I quite participating in these forums because of the the response I was getting from my participation. I have occasionally visited because some of the members here do post useful information and I have learned quite a bit from them. I choose not to participate and so I have not offered anything back in terms of whatever experience I might have.

I appreciate this site and the members who actually seek to share information and expertise. I applaud their thick skin that they still participate in the face of what I found to be an unacceptable level of BS, Flame baiting and Flaming and just plain verbal assault.

You folks have a large and active community here and you all seem to enjoy it more-or-less so keep up the great work and have a nice day.

my meaningless $.02 from a previous member.

Bo Carneal
12-20-2003, 10:10
[/COLOR]
I joined this website in mid summer and found the welcome I received to be greatly less than civil. There are certainly members here who are well informed, passionate and civil but there was more abusive replies to my posts than I could tolerate as well as simply irrelevant taunting and jabber. I mostly blame the level of moderation going on. There are trolls and flamers who will show up on any forum you might choose to start. If you wish this forum or any part of the site civil you must respond to the B.S. consistently, firmly and promptly. If there is a post that may be interpreted either way it may be appropriate to request further interpretation from the original poster.

The most offensive habit I see in the posts here and in other forums it that of making personal attacks on someone without providing any information. The sort of post that says "you're an idiot for thinking the way you do" without stating any alternative perspective or enlightening information.

In the early fall I quite participating in these forums because of the the response I was getting from my participation. I have occasionally visited because some of the members here do post useful information and I have learned quite a bit from them. I choose not to participate and so I have not offered anything back in terms of whatever experience I might have.

I appreciate this site and the members who actually seek to share information and expertise. I applaud their thick skin that they still participate in the face of what I found to be an unacceptable level of BS, Flame baiting and Flaming and just plain verbal assault.

You folks have a large and active community here and you all seem to enjoy it more-or-less so keep up the great work and have a nice day.

my meaningless $.02 from a previous member.Bo
After 14 years of section hiking, I finally finished the A.T. on Aug 5th, 2003, I thought this would be a great forum to search for all of the Thruhikers I hiked with through the years. The one thing I have noticed over the years is how distance hikers treat one another, like family. All I ask is that we try to get along with each other to make this forum work for everyone. I have a lot of fond memories of this trail, and some great experience that I would be willing to share with everyone. Trailname: Bo
[COLOR=Sienna]