PDA

View Full Version : Pre hike thoughts and rambles

stranger
08-28-2007, 04:05
Just sitting here thinking about my thru next year. Wondering how much of the south I will remember? Wondering if Georgia will be as tough as last time, if NC will be as easy, will the Nantahalas, Roan and Grayson Highlands be as pretty? Will other hikers throw rocks at the privy walls once I'm inside and "committed"?, will we hunt mice again with blowguns purchased in Gatlinburg? Will my first 7 days be solid rain? Will there be any Elvis sightings? How bad will the rumous be about PA rocks by hikers who have never been there?

Will the climb up Roan Mtn almost kill me again? I never did visit the Hogback Ridge privy, this time I'll run the Nantahala Falls without flipping over, I'll walk 33 miles into Damascus instead of 26, I won't spend 3 days at the motel near Atkins with "loved ones" and get depressed. Will we have the characters, the bibles, mouse traps, marijuana, beers left in steams, friendly and crazy hitches? Will we hike a 30 mile day just to get ahead of someone and steal their identity?

Will the slow pokes criticise the fast hikers while the fast hikers criticise no one? Will I blow by yet another ultra-lighter like they are standing still? Will the purist vs blue blazers debate never end? Does anyone still use the term yellowblazers anymore? Will I see some of those friendly faces again? Will Lenny at the Blueberry Patch still fold laundry? I can't help but wonder how many "drunk" hitches I get next year? How many bear sightings? How many kick ass people on the trail? Does the DWG still do the BBQ? Is the Doyle still the Doyle?

I just can't wait in general. And although I only walked 750 miles in 1995 I'm sure things will work out this time around. Maybe 95 wasn't my year, but 2001 showed me I could still knock out the miles and that I still love it. Now it's my time again, to head down to Springer and start walking north again. I hope to meet all of you and I wish you all the best of luck.

These are the days...

-MYST-
08-28-2007, 07:53
Sounds like you're a thru-hiker already.....

sixhusbands
08-28-2007, 08:03
you have some great memories and your next trip will give you some new ones. Yes, it will rain, yes the rocks in Pa are "fun", Yes the mice that you missed have regrouped and they are waiting for you!

Have fun and enjoy the experience.

Time To Fly 97
08-28-2007, 13:33
Just before you get into NY from NJ, give me a shout. Trail magic awaits.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Mags
08-28-2007, 13:36
And although I only walked 750 miles in 1995.

Great post! One slight nit to pick: "Only" 750 miles ?!?!?!

You did great..and obviously learned a few things and enjoyed yourself.

No need to say only. :) Heck..if you listen to the news about how inactive people are, 750 miles is quite a huge amount.

Have a great time on the trail!

baxter
08-28-2007, 14:40
-I hope that our paths cross, next year. I too have some fond memories of my section hikes, and am looking forward to a thru-hike.

chiefdaddy
08-28-2007, 15:45
I love this post!

leeki pole
08-28-2007, 15:48
Great post. You should keep a journal and write a book. I'd buy it.:)

gypsy
08-28-2007, 19:51
And although I only walked 750 miles in 1995 I'm sure things will work out this time around.
Wow... we are so hard on ourselves aren't we? Non hikers would be aghast at that milage!:eek: I said something along the same lines when I went back to work and school last week--"Oh, I only hiked about 180 miles of the Long Trail." Their response: "That's enough!" I think anytime we get to hike for more than a day at a time, it's a good thing. '95 was your year and the next one will be too no matter how far you go, or how long it takes:)

Roland
08-28-2007, 20:28
I enjoyed your post, Stranger. It's honest and sincere, and many folks can identify with your thoughts.

CaseyB
08-28-2007, 21:51
Hope to see you out there.....I'm only going 460 miles (if I make it that far) but reading stuff like this gets me excited.

stranger
09-04-2007, 02:10
Thanks for your comments, I'm glad some of you enjoyed the post. And I know it will rain, alot, and I've been through the PA rocks more than once but in some sick way I really can't wait until my knees wobble as I descend into Port Clinton, and then run into the Hotel for a burger!

It will be good to meet up with you all next year, see ya on the trail.

naturejunkie
09-04-2007, 11:50
Yellowblazer??? Okay, what is a yellowblazer?

Lone Wolf
09-04-2007, 11:52

a person who skips pieces of trail by hitch hiking or getting a ride

saimyoji
09-04-2007, 12:13

Often considered derogatory by those who preach HYOH but really mean: hike the way I think it should be done.

stranger
09-04-2007, 21:48
I believe the color yellow refers to the center lines painted on most roads

Kirby
09-05-2007, 11:34
I believe the color yellow refers to the center lines painted on most roads

You are correct, or atleast that is what I am told by every hiker I ask.

2008 will be a nice year, I am willing to bet I will be the youngest one out there.

The mice have been miserable in Maine this year. A ridgerunner I know was telling me that in the cabin where she stays with her fellow employees they have trapped and killed 142 mice this year, it has been a crazy year, they believe some type of boom is happening.

However, this thread is about next year, and what the trail will be like in contrast to past years.

Great post Stranger, well written.

Kirby

Twofiddy
09-17-2007, 11:02
Since your in one of the lands down under right now... What do you think about MAC-PAC brand backpacks??

Are they real popular down there?

A few of the packs they make are similar to packs here from 3 or 4 years ago.

Any chance that one might be on your back in the spring??

Check your PM's