PDA

View Full Version : ula pack

mudhead
08-28-2007, 05:40
Would really enjoy hearing about real world ula pack usage.

How pesky is the belt/pack to get in/out of?

Other quirks?

If it were burned up or stolen would you buy that exact same pack again?

Beautiful morning here in the twillies...

unl1988
08-28-2007, 05:49
Great pack, I have a catalyst, it really suprised me with it's comfort and capacity. For less than three pounds and less than 270 bucks you get a great pack with a solid reputation. After my hiking buddy quit on me during a two week hike at Philmont, I had to load it up with the whole tent, extra crew gear and food, I was suprised at how much room there actually was in the pack.

I would not hesitate to buy the same pack.

Lilred
08-28-2007, 09:09
I have a ULA P-2 and I love it. If it was burned up, I'd go right out and buy a new one. My hip belt is attached to the pack with velcro and comes out fairly easily to convert my top pouch to a fanny pack. Came in real handy when I slackpacked.

Pacific Tortuga
08-28-2007, 09:32
I would buy another one at the drop of the hat, my ULA is still in great shape after 955 miles, so I can not justify buying another. With all the wonderful, lightweight features

I still love the tag, "Made in My Garage in Ogden Utah". The fact you can call and take to the founder Brian is pretty cool too.

rockrat
08-28-2007, 11:00
I have a P2, and its comfy as all get out. You can't beat the customer service. I would cry heavily if it was burned or stolen and then go right back and buy another one.

greentick
08-28-2007, 11:32
Would really enjoy hearing about real world ula pack usage.

How pesky is the belt/pack to get in/out of?

Other quirks?

If it were burned up or stolen would you buy that exact same pack again?

Beautiful morning here in the twillies...

Snipped from an earlier post of mine: The ULA Circuit is my main pack. I like that it is constructed of dyneema - very durable. The exterior pockets and hipbelt pockets are great. I dig pockets. The ULAs pockets are constructed of a nonstretchy indestructible mesh and the hipbelt pockets are generous. The suspension hoop works great. THe ULAs weight limit is 35#. I have had every bit of that in on local hikes and it carries perfectly - I can transfer almost all the weight to the hips. My normal carry weight is about 25-27lbs.

AFA ease of use - Works great for me. I adjust it once and can remove and put back on without further adjustments. I can reach the water bottle pockets without removing the pack.

If burnt up, I would buy it again and if Brian is in business when I wear it out I will buy from him again.

Jack Tarlin
08-28-2007, 11:39
Pay close atention to the weight specs and DON'T overload it. If you exceed the specs even by a little for any length of time, ULAs tend to explode. (And I think the stated 35lb limit might be a little high). In short, unless you're really disciplined about keeping your pack weight down, you might want to think about something else.

Footslogger
08-28-2007, 11:50
Pay close atention to the weight specs and DON'T overload it. If you exceed the specs even by a little for any length of time, ULAs tend to explode. (And I think the stated 35lb limit might be a little high). In short, unless you're really disciplined about keeping your pack weight down, you might want to think about something else.

=========================================

Excellent advice for ANY pack. The maximum rated load for packs is typically not a comfortable load when hoisted on your back not to mention the stress on the pack itself. In actual practice I have found that around 5lbs LESS THAN the specified maximum carrying weight is a much more congenial load.

'Slogger

mudhead
08-28-2007, 13:58
Heard some third hand info that the sewn in belt was friggy getting in/out of...

I only have one or two things that I would identically replace, I use that as a gauge of utility, if that makes sense.

Lyle
08-28-2007, 14:23
I have a P2, no difficulty at all getting in and out of it. GREAT pack. Would definatly buy another ULA, without hesitation. Brian is great to work with.

I can't imagine overloading it any more - maybe in the dead of winter, on a long section. All the gear today is so lightweight, there is no need to carry more than 25 or 30 pounds maximum! Usually much less.

Buy with confidence.

greentick
08-28-2007, 14:33
... ULAs tend to explode. (And I think the stated 35lb limit might be a little high)....

Jack, do you have personal experience with this? I did some serious internet scouring prior to buying since I would not be seeing the pack until it arrived. Almost universally there are good reviews. I never saw any mention of serious failure. I asked specifically here on WB if anyone had any negative reviews - no response. After I got it, I even ran a bit with the 35# when I was shaking it down and see no signs of wear or stress in my pack. That being said, I have only had it since February.

I have had a large ALICE pack decompensate with 120# in it. And my Gregory G-pack showed some signs of stress when loaded with 30# (5# over its limit). My ULA Circuit looks good so far. If it decompensates I will post it.

Cannibal
08-28-2007, 16:24
ULA Catalyst here and loving it! It might actually be too much pack; it's huge. It is still new(ish) since I've only got about 300 miles with it on my back, but it is a solid pack.

I have had and carried a total pack weight of 42lbs just to see how it would do. It was as comfortable as 42lbs gets. I did get the dual stay frame and it is very stable.

No problems with the hip belts, well no more than any other pack. My next pack will be a ULA too; I'm already eyeing the Circut for less than a week hikes.

Jack Tarlin
08-28-2007, 17:33
Greentick:

Since you asked, yeah, I have lots of personal experience with this, most of it based on helping out my friends who run Outfitter shops in such places as Hot Springs, Damascus, and Harpers Ferry. I have personally dealt with DOZENS of folks who've indignantly reported blown-out or exploded packs, many of them who've been on the Trail for only a few weeks. They all want the same thing: New, and free, backpacks. Virtually WITHOUT EXCEPTION, these folks have abused the living bejeezus out of these packs, i.e. over-packing them, exceeding manufacturers weight specs, etc. These "light" packs" (i.e. such things as Go-Lites; liteweight Gregorys or ULAS; Granite Gear, etc., are all well made products, and will pretty much do what the maunfacturers and their nice catalogs tell you....they'll work just fine. But if you abuse them, you will destroy them, and yes, Greentick, I've seen it. Most folks who have embraced a "lightweight" hiking philosophy aren't doing it as well as they seem to think. Bottom line: Don't try and stuff 40 pounds of s*** in a 30-pound bag or you're gonna have a big problem, sooner rather thatn later, and don't expect a free replacement when the worst happens.

Heater
08-28-2007, 17:38
Heard some third hand info that the sewn in belt was friggy getting in/out of...

I only have one or two things that I would identically replace, I use that as a gauge of utility, if that makes sense.

Sewn in belt? :confused:

gearfreak
08-28-2007, 17:47
Greentick:

Don't try and stuff 40 pounds of s*** in a 30-pound bag or you're gonna have a big problem,

I think this is called a "blivit". :D

Lilred
08-28-2007, 17:52

This has not been my experience at all. I have a good 500 miles on my pack and a full load for me falls right in at 35lbs. I don't have so much as a single thread that has broke. I've carried near to 40lbs on occasion. I wouldn't make that a habit though.

Heater
08-28-2007, 18:09
This has not been my experience at all. I have a good 500 miles on my pack and a full load for me falls right in at 35lbs. I don't have so much as a single thread that has broke. I've carried near to 40lbs on occasion. I wouldn't make that a habit though.

If its a Catalyst, That's sounds about right. They are rated at 30-40 lbs.

buckowens
08-28-2007, 19:08
I have a Catalyst that is pretty new. I have only about 64 miles on it, but marvel at the clever design.

I had some minor problem with the waist belt buckle coming unbuckled, but figure that is just a flaw in the plastic. The pockets on the waist belt are very handy, and I grew to like the water bottle holder very much.

I switched over from a Gregory Whitney, and saved over 5 pounds of empty weight right off the bat. I found the catalyst to ride very smoothly and was comfortable for 16 mile days.

Miner
08-28-2007, 19:20
I have a ULA Conduit (one of their lighter packs) that I use for trips of 5 days or less. I enjoy it and it is comfortable if you stay below it's design limits. Never had any trouble with the waist belt or anything else for that matter. Unlike the Circuit and Catalyst which have a real frame, the Conduit uses your sleeping pad for it's support (in my case a Gossamer nitelight torsopad+sit pad). It carries very comfortably up to mid 20's. It's stated weight limit of 30lbs is a purely comfort rating rather then the point the seams give up. Above the mid 20's, the sleeping pad sags and your shoulders start carrying the weight and they will get sore. I could barely use my arms because my shoulders were in such pain after carrying 34 lbs for 6 hours one time (never again). I know someone who carried over 50lbs in it (of winter gear) for a trip in the Southern Sierras and the pack held up; but that had to be really painful and Brian at ULA would be the first to say, "Don't try this at home kids."

Lilred
08-28-2007, 22:20
If its a Catalyst, That's sounds about right. They are rated at 30-40 lbs.

It's the old P-2, which the Catalyst replaced. I use my mesh water bottle pockets to hold my tent and my sleeping pad. Fits perfect and leaves tons of room on the inside.

Heater
08-28-2007, 22:28
It's the old P-2, which the Catalyst replaced. I use my mesh water bottle pockets to hold my tent and my sleeping pad. Fits perfect and leaves tons of room on the inside.

What kind of sleeping pad do you use?

Lilred
08-29-2007, 18:16
What kind of sleeping pad do you use?

I use a 3/4 length, self-inflating thermarest, an old one. I use a thermarest stuff sack for my tarp tent as well. They have maybe a 4 or 5 inch diameter.

kdholmwood
08-30-2007, 03:55
When thinking about weight, many of us fail to allow for rain. My lightweight tents and shelters are about twice as heavy wet as they are dry. Damp clothing is significantly heavier than dry. Unless you have reliably dry weather or a lot of good karma, factor in precipitation and condensation when considering what kind of pack will be comfortable and sufficiently robust. I have a ULA P2, which is excellent, and Brian is a pleasure to deal with. I use a heavy but more supportive Macpac if I think my load could exceed 40lb.
Keith

mudhead
09-01-2007, 06:20
Bumpity. Was talking to a couple at a crossing. He had a P-2. Blew out a strap from overloading. Was very happy with the repair/service. She had a P-1. They both were enamored with their packs.

They told me they had talked gear with an owner of the first version of the replacement of the P-2. The straps were upgraded. Said it was "a project to get in/out of due to the design of the hipbelt."

Seems like alot of people bought these when they first came out, Mountain Crossings stocked them I think.

Anyone have an opinion?

Lone Wolf
09-01-2007, 06:37
I have a Catalyst. Bought it for the Long Trail. I like it just fine. No complaints.

Heater
09-01-2007, 06:43
I use a 3/4 length, self-inflating thermarest, an old one. I use a thermarest stuff sack for my tarp tent as well. They have maybe a 4 or 5 inch diameter.

I was thinking of downsizing to 3/4 length. I had not thought of stuffing it in the side pocket though. Seems like a good idea though. I'll have to give it a try.

Lilred
09-01-2007, 09:28
I was thinking of downsizing to 3/4 length. I had not thought of stuffing it in the side pocket though. Seems like a good idea though. I'll have to give it a try.

It's especially nice if you have to set up in the rain. I don't even have to take my raincover off my pack and I've got my tent out and set up. Everything stays dry. Works great.

Lilred
09-01-2007, 09:37

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=18348&c=516

Here's a link to a pic of my pack with the tarptent and sleeping pad in the water bottle holders.