PDA

View Full Version : Anyone planning on doing the Florida Trail?

BumpJumper
08-28-2007, 10:09
I am in Central Florida area. I would be glad to be of assistance to anyone coming down to hike.

Gray Blazer
08-28-2007, 10:29
Hey you FL people. Let's have a Whiteblaze get together. If someone organizes it, I'll come. We had one last year at Alexander springs. Goldhead Branch near Keystone Heights is a beautiful park with the FT running right through it. It might be a nice place to get together maybe when the weather gets a little cooler. Bumpjumper, it could be a cool way to meet some fellow hikers if you know what I mean.

jnetx
08-28-2007, 10:32
Hey BumpJumper

I've been section hiking it the past year or so ( www.trailjournals.com/jnetx (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6244) ) I've already hiked everything up to Rodman Dam (Palatka) with the exception of about 60 miles of the West Connector which I'm hoping to knock out during a couple weekends in September so I can start back at Rodman sometime in November/December and just keep walking.

HUGS - Janette

Gray Blazer
08-28-2007, 11:20
Hey BumpJumper

I've been section hiking it the past year or so ( www.trailjournals.com/jnetx (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6244) ) I've already hiked everything up to Rodman Dam (Palatka) with the exception of about 60 miles of the West Connector which I'm hoping to knock out during a couple weekends in September so I can start back at Rodman sometime in November/December and just keep walking.

HUGS - Janette

I enjoyed reading your journal. As you have learned, I think the best time to hike the FT is in the Fall. I love the Etonah State Forest area. I saw lots of wildlife, including gators and bears AND I was stalked by Bigfoot. If anyone is hiking in the Camp Blanding area or anywhere in NFL, I can shuttle you or hike with you.

Gray Blazer
08-28-2007, 11:21
Whoops, I didn't proofread my post. The best time to hike the FT is in the fall and especially in the winter. Too many ticks this summer!!

jnetx
08-28-2007, 11:57
Have to agree with you there Grey Blazer. I'm itching for the cooler days so I can get back out on the trail. Last year I kept hiking through mid-May, but this year cut it short in late April due to the heat, and partially saved by a opportunity to raft the Grand Canyon in mid May for a couple weeks.

I haven't had much trouble with ticks this year. I use the Lemon Eucalyptus bug spray and they just don't seem to like it. I have got almost everyone I hike with turned on to it. A particularly good example of it's efficiency was last fall when he backpacked the Juniper wilderness right after the fire there. I sprayed myself up in the parking lot, and another hiker was standing fairly close while I sprayed. When we got to camp that night neither of us had a single tick, while most everyone else was picking them off. Next day I sprayed up again, and at the end of the day didn't have a single tick, while the girl from the previous day was covered with them like everyone else.

Good Stuff.
HUGS - Janette

Rainman
08-28-2007, 12:02
Hey you FL people. Let's have a Whiteblaze get together. If someone organizes it, I'll come. We had one last year at Alexander springs. Goldhead Branch near Keystone Heights is a beautiful park with the FT running right through it. It might be a nice place to get together maybe when the weather gets a little cooler. Bumpjumper, it could be a cool way to meet some fellow hikers if you know what I mean.

I don't know that location, but would love to come to a get together.

jnetx
08-28-2007, 12:25
I'd be interested in a FL gathering too, but not sure about timing or location. September may still be too warm, and possibly wet. I had planned to hike out my couple of missing roadwalk sections on the West connector in the two middle weekends, but I'd give them up if someone could put something together in time.

I would offer to do some planning myself, but have a couple of trips I'm planning already from the last weekend in September through the second weekend in November. I'm heading over to Spain to do some volunteer work there and then the UK to visit family, so I'd not only not be able to attend, but I'm kind of wrapped up in logistics plans for that right now.

Goldhead is nice. I found it several years ago while living in Jacksonville. Actually, it may be the place I first became aware that the Florida Trail existed. I can't recall if that was at Goldhead or Aucilla.

Anyway, If anyone wants to get something together, and it's not during my Europe trip, or after I restart on my thru hike of the remaining sections (probably mid to late Novemebr start), count me in.

HUGS - J

chiefdaddy
08-28-2007, 15:42
it's in my future! lots of wild animals to eat ya in your sleepl lol or when getting water in the morning!

Scrollner
08-28-2007, 15:49
Great to hear from other FLA hikers - I've hiked most of the FL trail from Live Oak south through the Oca

Scrollner
08-28-2007, 15:50
ooops , I meant the Ocala forest. Count me in on a get together!

Cannibal
08-28-2007, 16:18
Ticks have not been bad this year. In fact, the only place I have had to deal with them (6 in one day) has been in the Ocala Forest Section. Water has not been a problem this year either. Alexander Springs is one of the campgrounds on the southern section of the Ocala area and it is great!

I may have a piece of land available for use just south of Altoona. I'm going this weekend to take a look. The owner said some clearing needs to be done and would be happy to let me use it for a gathering/hang if I want. I'll be happy to let yall know what I find if there is real interest in a Florida get together.

Cannibal
08-28-2007, 16:59
BumpJumper- The ECT hikers should start showing-up in your neighborhood soon. Start looking in November & December, you'll find them. :)

aaroniguana
08-28-2007, 17:13
Hello from a former FL hiker. In fact I used to work at the campground at Juniper Springs... about 30 years ago. I'm down that wayseveral times a year, would love to attend!

BumpJumper
08-28-2007, 21:19
Just about anytime after Oct. is good weather.
The ticks are terrible at Juniper Springs this year. They JUMP in your kayaks....and cover you from head to toe.

I am game for a FTA/AT get together. I live about 5 minutes from the Ocala Nat. Forest so lets get to planning it.
I know of several places we may be able to bunch up at.

ktlove
09-13-2007, 15:56
Hay Bumpjumper.. Or any of you in fact,

Have you an recomondations for a beginer, to section hike the FT?
Intermediate trails? 2-3 day hikes? Of course near some of those beautiful springs!

Thanks in advance!

jnetx
09-13-2007, 22:06
"Have you an recomondations for a beginer, to section hike the FT?"

Clearwater Lake to Juniper Springs would seem to be the obvious choice if you want good trail access and springs.

Closest decent 2-3 day for you would be Green swamp East through to Richloam. No springs on that stretch, but some nice walking through forest and swamp and crosses the river acouple times on the southern end.

Scrollner
09-14-2007, 07:24
I like the section along the Suwanee river, pitching a tent on the sand along the river is a great way to end the day.

Cannibal
09-14-2007, 08:38
The Clearwater section that jnetx talked about is very nice. It is in Ocala National Forest and has lots of access points. They tell me it's the most used section of the FT. Which would explain why I've seen so many people there; I must have seen at least 2 other hikers in that area.:rolleyes: :D

ktlove
09-14-2007, 10:15
:-? Thanks for the imput!!

Newbe here,
Will take all your tips if you share them.
Great forum you have, lots of great info.

jnetx
09-14-2007, 10:59
ktlove

Think about joining us for the Gathering in November, even if just for the day. I'm sure you'd get lots of tips and some valuable FL Trail information. The details are in the Get Together forum.

Cannibal
09-14-2007, 11:05
:-? Thanks for the imput!!

Newbe here,
Will take all your tips if you share them.
Great forum you have, lots of great info.

If you're just looking to get out for a day or two, I'll offer to meet you half way across Rt. 60 at Three Lakes (by Yeehaw Junction). I'm always looking for an excuse to go hiking. :D

geyerpd
09-16-2007, 18:42
I will be thru hiking starting sept 27 from Ft pickens. It would be good to hear from you. Just joined, but have a public journal on trailjournals.com