PDA

View Full Version : Tarp Tent, Contrail

wrongway_08
08-28-2007, 15:33
Company: Tarp Tent
Item: Contrail tent, 1 person

I have been calling the company for 3 days and no one has picked up! E-mailed them also and so far no response.

Anyone used this one? Wonder how they have held up for you under rain/snow? The feature that cought my eye is the fact it has a mesh section running the whole perimeter of the floor for ventilation.

Thanks

Johnny Thunder
08-28-2007, 15:36
Come to Gathering...I bet you a case that you'll find at least one of each Shires tent there. See for yourself.

Johnny

gearfreak
08-28-2007, 15:38
I received an email response from them last week. The Contrail model will be available by 9/7. Click on "Ordering" for availability updates. Good reputation and a quality product. :cool:

Johnny Thunder
08-28-2007, 15:40
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php

Creek Dancer
08-28-2007, 15:42
If you are concerned about snow and rain getting throught the mesh, the mesh sits several inches above the ground above the bathtub floor. There is another thread about the Contrail with some really good pointers on proper pitching.

Creek Dancer
08-28-2007, 15:44
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18946&highlight=Contrail

Here's the link. It might answer some of your questions.

wrongway_08
08-28-2007, 15:44
If any of you use one, how small will it pack? My Microzoid packed down to alsmost half its stock size with a REI compression sack. It says 14x4x4 in the sales area.

The weight, will it come in at 24.5 oz - factory spec on web site - ready to drop in the pack or will there be an extra 5 oz like the Microzoid?

Thanks, I have been reading through those old post, just have not found the answers I am looking for in them - yet, I'll keep looking. Thanks

Johnny Thunder
08-28-2007, 15:49
WrongWay,

You can use the search engine to find answers to this and other questions you've posted recently. I can't imagine that every informed soul is logged on this afternoon so you have a higher likelyhood of getting the best answer if you look over similar threads that have run their course. Again, the advanced search option can be found at :

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php

Johnny

Creek Dancer
08-28-2007, 15:54
14 x 4 x 4 in the stuff sack sounds about right. But it's not tight as a drum in the stuff sack, so I imagine it would pack down maybe a fourth with some effort.

The 24.5 oz weight without seam sealer is correct.

wrongway_08
08-28-2007, 16:10
Thanks for the help, I have found some good post using the search engine also.
From everything I am reading, this sounds like the one to try out.

wrongway_08
09-15-2007, 15:32
Just got my Contrail in! Going to go set it up in the yard a few times, really seems to be well built with a lot of attention to details. Okay enough talk, I'm going to go play thru-hiker in my front yard!

wrongway_08
09-15-2007, 16:46
Man this tent is really easy to set up, even with the wind blow'n on my first try it went right up without a problem.
There is not a lot to it, simple design, easy set up and adjustments. Not to mention the amount of room this sucker has!

LostInSpace
09-16-2007, 20:59
I just finished using my Contrail for eight days in the Sierra. I found that the stock stakes were generally too short and would pull out when maintaining a taut pitch. Weighting the stakes down with rocks solved the problem. I'll likely carry longer and/or different stakes in the future.

wrongway_08
09-16-2007, 21:42
Mine came with the 4 sided MSR stakes.
Funny, the MSR stakes that came with my MSR Microzoid are skinny and pull out of the ground, the MSR stakes that came with the Contrail are the good 4 sided MSR stakes - go figure.

Dirtygaiters
09-17-2007, 16:54
As a person who has tried a lot of combinations with tarps and bivies and groundsheets, I can tell you that you'll pay about a 12 ounce weight penalty and some extra cost for the same protection you get with a reasonably sized bug bivy/tarp/groundsheet, but the set up is dramatically easier with the Tarptentsthan it is with any tarp. However, they are so drafty that you'll still end up wanting a breathable/DWR bivy in the shoulder seasons. If you're trying to find a Tarptent NOW, check with Backcountrygear.com. Sometimes they stock them, though you should call first because their online availability status is generally inaccurate.

LostInSpace
09-18-2007, 20:44
Mine came with the 4 sided MSR stakes.
Funny, the MSR stakes that came with my MSR Microzoid are skinny and pull out of the ground, the MSR stakes that came with the Contrail are the good 4 sided MSR stakes - go figure.

Interesting! My Contrail came with four 6-1/4" (Easton?) round stakes.