PDA

View Full Version : Georgia on my mind

Uncle Wayne
11-03-2003, 02:21
There will be a lunar eclipse on November 8th and we will be at Gooch Gap Shelter in Georgia. Does anyone know if there are any good places with a clear view to the east around this shelter? Or good campsites along this section of the AT with a view to the east horizon? Thanks.

Rain Man
11-03-2003, 13:59
Wayne,

As I recall from my August hike through there, that old shelter is very close to USFS 42 and a bit of a clearing where 42 crosses Gooch Gap. The view might mostly be towards the South, but if the moon is high enough from the horizon, at least you'll be in a clearing. You might walk down 42 less than a quarter mile and find an east-facing clearing. Just a guess, but it's on the correct side of the mountain for that.

Also, less than half a mile north on the AT from Gooch Gap, if I recall, the trail traverses the eastern steep side of a mountain. Assuming the leaves are mostly gone, there might be a fine spot along there.

I did that stretch early one morning and the early morning sun light streaming through the trees was striking.

I'll be up the trail about 30 miles and thinking of you. :)

Rain Man

Youngblood
11-03-2003, 15:15
My recollection is the same as Rain Man's. The forest service road, FSR42, twists around the mountains through there and you can possible find a good view along it. I was a few miles north of there last weekend and the leaves were pretty much down, so the trees might not totally block your views.

Like Rain Man, I also recall a couple of overlooks that might be open to the east between Gooch Gap and Woody Gap but not really any to the south. Woody Gap should have a good view.

Youngblood

deeddawg
11-03-2003, 15:25
I was through that area in mid October and like Youngblood said the leaves should be mostly down by now.

The Brasstown Bald webcam seems to confirm this:

Brasstown Bald Webcam (http://www.fs.fed.us/conf/webcam.htm)

Check the topo maps for where you might get views -- topozone.com is a handy site.

Topozone.com - Gooch Gap (http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=16&n=3838858&e=772277&s=50&size=m&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25)