PDA

View Full Version : Montbell sleeping bag question

LIhikers
08-28-2007, 21:04
Earlier this year I decided I want a new spring/fall sleeping bag. I've narrowed the choice down to either a Western Mountaineering Alpinlite or a Montbell Ultra Light, Super Stretch, Down Hugger #2. I've been able to try on the Alpinlite in person but can't find anyplace near me that carries, or is knowledgable about, the Montbell.

I have a question for those of you that have, or had, a Montbell Super Stretch bag. I'm wondering how long can I expect the elasticity of the bag to last and what happens as the elastic ages and looses it's ability to stretch and retighten. Anyone ever have their Super Stretch give up it's ability to do this and how many years did you have the bag before it happened?

Toolshed
08-28-2007, 21:10
Earlier this year I decided I want a new spring/fall sleeping bag. I've narrowed the choice down to either a Western Mountaineering Alpinlite or a Montbell Ultra Light, Super Stretch, Down Hugger #2. I've been able to try on the Alpinlite in person but can't find anyplace near me that carries, or is knowledgable about, the Montbell.

I have a question for those of you that have, or had, a Montbell Super Stretch bag. I'm wondering how long can I expect the elasticity of the bag to last and what happens as the elastic ages and looses it's ability to stretch and retighten. Anyone ever have their Super Stretch give up it's ability to do this and how many years did you have the bag before it happened?
I have only had mine for 6 months, but am absolutely delighted with it. I can see your concern though, as the snugging of the bag to the body removes dead air spaces and is what allows MB to use less fill to cut down on weight.
I'll have to take another look at mine.

Baum Trigger
08-28-2007, 21:11
I work at an outfitter that stocks Montbell products and I own a Montbell UL superstretch #3. I had the same concerns and I spoke with both my rep and the manager at their flagship store in CO. They both assured that the elasticity in the baffles should show no elongation or looseness over the years. With that being said, I've had mine for only a short while and I've never been happier. I toss and turn a lot at night and enjoy sleeping in all positions (e.g. fetal position, on stomach, on side) and have never been in a better bag. The stretch enables me to move like I never have before in a mummy style bag. I'll never go back to a regular baffled bag...but...Western Mountaineering does make some good bags of their own..that's for sure.

LIhikers
08-29-2007, 15:03
Thanks for your input. Anybody else?

bulldog49
08-29-2007, 16:11
I have two Western Mountaineering bags, an Antelope DL and the Mega-lite. Love them both.

These are the two pieces of gear I've had the longest and never consider switching to another brand. Everything else, packs, stoves tents I've tried numerous brands and models. But WM is the only brand I will consider for a sleeping bag.

Kay
08-29-2007, 17:33
I LOVE my Mont-bell Super-Stretch. I've had it about a year now, and hiked 700 miles with it this summer. I've had no problems. It performs as well as it did when I bought it - and man, are they comfy!

LIhikers
08-30-2007, 13:14
Thanks for everyone's input. I think I've decided on thte Montbell bag. I just checked the dealer list on their web site and there's noplace to see one first hand within a reasonable drive, so I guess I'll have to do the mail order thing. Now to check web sites to compare prices and return policies.

Any recommendations on where to buy a Montbell bag?

jaiden
08-30-2007, 13:19

prolitegear.com is having a sale right now.

Chache
08-30-2007, 15:10
http://www.prolitegear.com/

Rainman
08-31-2007, 17:50
I have had my super stretch # 5 for 2.5 years. It is as snug now as when new.

Swass
09-11-2007, 23:07
I have a question and thought I'd post it here, since these are exactly the 2 bags I am wondering about.

I can't really decide how much warmth I will need for an AT thru-hike.
Between the Montbell Super Stretch - #2 (25F) or #3 (30F)?
and between the WM Ultralite Super (20F) or Megalite (30F)?

It seems lots of you do cold-weather camping but I live in Florida and I've never owned a down bag. I'd like to get something I can use again here and not be too hot. But my foremost concern is staying warm on the AT... Considering that I am a thin-blooded swamp girl I think I might just go for the warmer bag... or can I just the 30 and supplement it with a liner? Thoughts?

Egads
09-12-2007, 07:00
Swass,

If I lived in Florida, I'd want a light blanket/sheet for summer, a JRB down quilt & a MBSSDH #3 25* down bag for a thru.

>70* Summer Blanket
40* - 70* JRB down quilt
25* - 40* MBSSDH #3
10* - 25* MBSSDH #3 + JRB down quilt
<10* Hostel up

I have a WM Alpinlite, a JRB Nest, & a MBSSDH #0. All are excellent quality bags. I can't really pick a favorite, but I use the nest much more often than the two bags.

Good luck with your decision

Egads

springerfever
09-12-2007, 14:43
All depends on when you start, but the WM Megalite is a fantastic choice that gives you a little extra room......Any high quality 20-30 degree bag would be appropriate if you start say, April 1st. You might have a few cold nights where you had to wear additional clothing but you'd be OK and it would be a good bag to go the distance.

Quoddy
09-12-2007, 16:02

Campsaver (http://www.campsaver.com/categories.php?cid=391) has a sale on almost all Mont-Bell bags.

I just sold my AlpinLite since I lost a lot of weight... I loved it. Having said that, I just returned from 28 days on the trail using a Mont-Bell SS #7. Although only rated at 50F, I used it at 40F wearing only a T shirt and shorts. Very comfortable, especially if you move around a lot.

Swass
09-12-2007, 17:03
All depends on when you start, but the WM Megalite is a fantastic choice that gives you a little extra room......Any high quality 20-30 degree bag would be appropriate if you start say, April 1st. You might have a few cold nights where you had to wear additional clothing but you'd be OK and it would be a good bag to go the distance.

Oh I forgot to mention that I am considering an early April start, as I already know that I am out of my element in cold weather and I don't want to throw myself into a completely foreign situation right out of the starting gate!

So a good quality 30F should probably be okay, if I have some extra fleece to sleep in?

Egads
09-12-2007, 18:53
Try your sleeping system during some fall & winter weekend hikes to see if you are warm enough.

I'd want something warmer than a 30* bag with me if I was starting a long hike ~April 1.

We had record low temps (teens), high winds, and snow in the Smokies this past Easter weekend.

Egads

Earl Grey
09-14-2007, 00:48
I used a montbell #5 down on my thru hike and I never got cold one night. Its a 40 degree bag and it got around 40 a couple nights and i stayed warm. At only one pound and itll pack down to the size of a nalgene. Im hooked on montbell now, looking at one of their 0 degree bags. Not cheap but its so light and compressible. Got to love 800 fill down.