PDA

View Full Version : Hike for the homeless...

soulshine26
08-29-2007, 16:42
Hello my fellow white-blazers... I have been absent from the forum for a month or so but am trying to get back in gear.

I am currently trying to plan and organize a Hike for the Homeless. I live in Savannah, GA and we, just as other large cities, have a serious homelessness problem. After brainstorming and prayer, I came to the conclusion that there would be no better way to help these missions than to organize a sponsored hike of Section 1 of the AT. Hikers can either pay a registration fee (which will cover the cost of their T shirts) or gain X number of dollars in sponsorship pledges for the hike. Or both. This way, people can contribute to this great cause even if they are not in physical shape to do a 20 mile hike. Details for this are still being ironed out.

I am on the committee at church that is planning this project, and being a member of white blaze, I thought I would try to gain some insight on the planning stages. When would be the best time of year to do this? I was thinking November, but a project of this magnitude may need more than a few month's planning. I intend to open this opportunity up to hikers everywhere, we aren't going to narrow it down to Savannah natives. I would like to do this as a 3 day/ 2 nighter.

This trip was originally going to be mine and my husband's anniversary trip, but since the heat was so brutal at the beginning of August, we put it off, and went kayaking in Charleston instead. This trip has expanded into something much more, and I think it will be an awesome spirited function. If anyone is interested in being part of this, be sure to post or shoot me a message at [email protected] and I will add you to the address book and mailing list for announcements.

Would the weather be cooperative in mid-November or sometime in early spring? What do you think, white-blazers?

TOW
08-29-2007, 16:51
I think the cause is excellent! But stick to the plan and God will open some doors for you and guide you in the way you should go. But remember when one door opens one will usually close.

October or November should be a good time to hike. As long as the water conditions are good. I don't think you want to take a bunch of enexperienced hikers on the trail without knowing about the water sources in the area.

soulshine26
08-29-2007, 17:02
Good point! We are planning a research day just for that very purpose. I intend to post flyers up at Outfitters stores around GA and up in Greenville, SC (my hometown) and of course on Whiteblaze, so hopefully the majority of the turnout will be people who have at least done a little hiking. We shall see!

jesse
08-29-2007, 17:09
you need to be specific as to where the money raised is going. I assume from your post, checks will be made out to your church. Also what if any expenses will be coming out of the contribtions, ie t-shirts, gas, gear, food, etc.
There are quite of few threads on WB promoting "hiking for causes" . They genneraly are met with skeptisism. Good luck!

flyingduckmonster
08-29-2007, 17:19
I bought something from North Georgia Mountain Outfitters, recently, and they were super nice people. I suspect they'd help you guys out, at least by publicizing things with their mailing list. You should get in touch with them! hikenorthgeorgia.com

soulshine26
08-29-2007, 17:58
you need to be specific as to where the money raised is going. I assume from your post, checks will be made out to your church. Also what if any expenses will be coming out of the contribtions, ie t-shirts, gas, gear, food, etc.
There are quite of few threads on WB promoting "hiking for causes" . They genneraly are met with skeptisism. Good luck!

I will definitely be specific. I am working with Union Mission here in Savannah, and all money, checks, etc. will be made out directly to Union Mission Inc. All donations, pledges, etc will accompany a contribution form so that everyone who donates will receive a receipt to use for tax purposes. Things are not completely in order yet, so I wasn't planning to post any details until Union Mission confirms our fundraiser.

soulshine26
08-29-2007, 17:59
I bought something from North Georgia Mountain Outfitters, recently, and they were super nice people. I suspect they'd help you guys out, at least by publicizing things with their mailing list. You should get in touch with them! hikenorthgeorgia.com

Thank you! The information is much appreciated! :sun I will certainly give them a look up.

soulshine26
08-29-2007, 18:46
Also what if any expenses will be coming out of the contribtions, ie t-shirts, gas, gear, food, etc.

I just realized I didn't answer this before. My husband and I know several different outfitters around here and we are going to try to get as many as possible to donate any food or supplies if they are so willing. I would assume that most people who would be willing to go on this trip will bring their own food(s) since they will be packing it. Again, this is a detail that needs ironing out. We are going to attempt to get a few t-shirt printers to donate the tshirts for the group since this kind of thing is 100% tax deductible. If they will not agree to this, however, then my husband and I are going to absorb this cost ourselves as our donation to the cause.