PDA

View Full Version : stoves~~~

dmb658
08-29-2007, 18:16
i'm looking for a stove to bring on my thru-hike in march, and i'm haveing lots of trouble choosing between stoves, so i would just like to which stoves you use and what the pros and cons are about it

Mags
08-29-2007, 18:22
I wrote an article on stoves (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20055&highlight=stove+mags)for WB.

Should help answer some questions for you.

Basically, it all depends on your hiking style and preference.

Good luck!

JAK
08-29-2007, 20:27
Don't fight it. It's only a matter of time anyway. Just start with the cheapest, make your own also, and start your collection.

p.s. I am not one of those materialistic gear heads. We are talking stoves
here. Stoves are completely different, like knives, and wool sweaters.

wrongway_08
08-29-2007, 20:38
I bought the Jet Boil, I love it! BUT now I am starting to look at the beer can styles........ thanks to everyone here that keeps talking about them.......looked at a few post on here and now I keep thinking..... Hmmmm thats really cool and light weight, what a cool idea...!
So I might end up with one of the beer can stoves for the trip, not sure yet but I think the fever is starting!

Appalachian Tater
08-29-2007, 22:21
Cat food or vienna sausage can stove is ultralight, stable, cheap, easy to find fuel for, does a great job.

7Sisters
08-29-2007, 22:27
MSR Pocket Rocket.

I love it. It sets up very easy and brings water to a boil quickly. I also have the ability to simmer.

Down side is temps under 15-10 degrees. You'll need to warm the cannister - I use my lighter for about 15 seconds to warm it up and it's fine.

shoe
08-29-2007, 22:30
I have a pepsi can stove and also an old Primus canister stove.

I have yet to make my own and probably never will. I would rather pay someone to make me one.

Anyone want to make me the cat food can stove? ;)

Skidsteer
08-29-2007, 22:38
I have a pepsi can stove and also an old Primus canister stove.

I have yet to make my own and probably never will. I would rather pay someone to make me one.

Anyone want to make me the cat food can stove? ;)

Sure, I'll make you one. How's ten bucks sound?;)

Seriously, you can make one in a couple minutes. Have you ever tried it? :)

JAK
08-29-2007, 23:08
The Tealight Alcohol stove has to be the easiest, and one of the lightest.
It might not be the fastest or most efficient, but its a great place to start.

Here is a fun setup for making tea while reading at night:
1. Tealight Candle Lantern.
2. Tealight for reading and for simmering.
3. Alcohol in tealight tin to bring water to fast boil.
4. Very small beverage can that might just rest on candle lantern.

Rather unstable, but fun to mess around with to get some ideas. I haven't tried using alcohol in a tealight tin inside a candle lantern. Seems rather scary. Might work in the larger 3 candle stove though, which is more stable for simmering anyway, though heavier. The single tealight is a bit dim for reading, so you might go to the three candle lantern, or you might build one, but the single tealight lanterns seem to be available everywhere and they are a very fun thing to bring along or play around with. Enough light to setup camp and feel cozy, though a bit dim for extensive reading.

For serious meals and larger quantities of hot beverages and morning ablutions and stuff I use my Kelly Kettle. Wicked fast and fuel is free.

shoe
08-29-2007, 23:09
Can't say that I have tried it. Maybe if I get some free time I will. My cats sure would love some of that special food :)

Does the 10 bucks include shipping? :)

Skidsteer
08-29-2007, 23:13
Can't say that I have tried it. Maybe if I get some free time I will. My cats sure would love some of that special food :)

Does the 10 bucks include shipping? :)

Sure. A can cost .26 at Walmart and it takes longer to address the package than make the stove.

But you really should try making your own Supercat. All Stovies know that a homemade stove boils water faster. ;)

zelph
08-30-2007, 12:18
But you really should try making your own Supercat. All Stovies know that a homemade stove boils water faster. ;)

I agree with Skids on both points:D

BUT!!!While you are trying it on your own, have Skids make one for you just in case. The "SuperCat is one of my favorites.:banana

DavidNH
08-30-2007, 14:43
I started out with my trusty 1 pound MSR whisper lite stove.
Mid way I tried out an alcohol stove. much lighter but doesnt have the umph of the whisperlite. I switched back to the whisperlite in Hanover.

I don't know.. I just love my whisperlite and won't give it up.
David

zelph
09-13-2007, 11:27
i'm looking for a stove to bring on my thru-hike in march, and i'm haveing lots of trouble choosing between stoves, so i would just like to which stoves you use and what the pros and cons are about it

I know it's been hard to decide.:-?

What are some of the stoves that you are now considering?

oops56
09-13-2007, 11:59
Man this is going to open a can worms. There is so many types and ever one got the best. I going just say fancy feast cat can just two rolls of holes. Can be made any where any time pocket knife almost any short can. I got to go and fire up a stove or two.