PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Footwear

Saluki Dave
11-03-2003, 09:16
This is a question for all, but specifically for the bigger folks among us:

I go around 290 lb before pack. I'm in pretty good shape, just big. I have a pair of Merrell Grand Traverse boots with steel/nylon inserts in the footbed. I bought them on the theory that they would do a better job of supporting my feet.

I've watched the transition to lightweight shoes/boots over the last few years and wonder how/if they work for large people. Also, running shoes have begun to incorporate high density inserts for pronation problems (they work for me). Do lightweight hikers have or need that feature?

Opinions / advice?

Dave

chris
11-03-2003, 09:41
When I first started in trail shoes, I weighed about 235 and got shin splints for my effort. The shoes were from Salomon and just didn't have the cushioning of a running shoe. Since switching to runners or trail runners, I haven't had any problems. If you go for a runner, you'll want to get a motion control shoe. These shoes have a lot of support for severe over pronators (your feet roll inwards) and for heavier runners. You can sometimes find these types of shoes in trail runners as well.

www.roadrunnersports.com

has a nice website that sorts shoes by type, but they take a while to deliver.

Jaybird
11-03-2003, 09:53
Saluki Dave:

As in hiking techniques, or how you do a hike....it's an individual thing....

do what works for you!

i own Vasque boots & have put "Super Feet" inserts in them recently & they work for me.

i weigh, currently, approx. 220lb.

my pack usually weighs around 40lbs on a week-long hike.

hope this helps...

jaybird
www.trailjournals.com/jaybird

:D