PDA

View Full Version : camping at ALDHA gathering at Gettysburgh

DavidNH
08-30-2007, 14:41
Hi,

I want to inquire about possibilities for camping out at the ALDHA gathering this year in Gettysburg. More specifically, about the possibility to camp out yet be away from the partiers so one could go to sleep by 10 pm.

If the above can't be had.. are there inexpensive motels nearby (within 10 miles)?

One thing that I loved about the ALDHA gatherings in Hanover, NH was Stores Pond campground. It was big enough for us quiet folks to camp over here... and the all night partiers to camp way over there so neither disturbed the other!!

David

Jack Tarlin
08-30-2007, 14:47
What's your definition of "inexpensive?"

There are scores of thousands of motel rooms in or near Gettsyburg, of varying price ranges. If you Google "Gettysburg Motels" you'll find enough information to occupy yourself for years.

There will also be a designated "quiet" or "family" area on the campground area where most folks will be staying; if you go to the ALDHA website, this information may be already posted. If it isn't, I'm sure it will be soon, or you can ask about it when you visit the Sign-In desk at Gettysburg when you arrive in town.

Lone Wolf
08-30-2007, 14:49
earplugs are pretty cheap

Sly
08-30-2007, 14:52
Here's something from one of the movers and shakers (Ready) that was posted to the at-l. It should answer your questions...

Hey folks,

The official campgrounds for the Gathering are
just up from Rte 34 North, along Table Rock Road,
about 4 miles from the campus. Very convenient
and very easy to find.

There WILL be porta-potties. :-) (And TP!)

Thing is, the campgrounds are not equipped with
trash receptacles, so do plan to drive out what
you drive in. Bring garbage bags so you can
dispose of the trash responsibly elsewhere.

A quiet area will be designated, and an area for
more noisy campers will also be designated, so
the drum circle activities will not be
threatened. There are some nice spots for campers
and small rv's too.

The "campgrounds" are actually nice, large fields
that are often used by the Civil War enactment
groups that come by annually. The very kind
farmer who owns the land has been most generous
and helpful, so we should all have a great time.

This info (including maps and directions) will be
in the upcoming ALDHA newsletter -- due in your
mailboxes by end of September, latest. (It was
sent to the printers on Monday, August 13th, so
at this point it's up to the PO to get it to all
you current members.) The newsletter will also be
posted at the aldha website soon - in case you
let your membership lapse.

www.aldha.org

I have heard that most of the hotels are fully
booked. The Gettysburg Inn (can you say $$$$) is
booked solid. There are a number of economical
looking motels (read: "seedy" aka "perfect for
hikers") along Route 34, but I'm guessing they'll
be first-come, first-serve, and they may go to
the leaf peepers who'll be in town then too.

Jack Tarlin
08-30-2007, 14:56
Thanx to Ready and Sly for this information; David, this should answer your question.

But if anyone wants to "threaten drum circle activities", well, I'm all for it!!
Threaten away!! Were it up to me, any drumming that weekend would be taking place in Maryland! :D

Lone Wolf
08-30-2007, 14:56
I want to inquire about possibilities for camping out at the ALDHA gathering this year in Gettysburg. More specifically, about the possibility to camp out yet be away from the partiers so one could go to sleep by 10 pm.

obviously referring to Billville.:)

Jack Tarlin
08-30-2007, 15:03
How many Gatherings have you been to, Wolf?

Billville people aren't the only partiers. The Gathering is a quarter-century old. Billville's only been around since 2000, and I assure you that social drinking at the Gathering long preceeded the year 2000. There was some pretty wild partying at Pipestem a few years back and we weren't event camped there at the time.

So Wolf and Dave are OBVIOUSLY talking about someone else. :D

max patch
08-30-2007, 15:09
Theres a youth hostel in Gettysburg. Less than $10.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-30-2007, 15:18
Camp well away from the fire ring if you want to go to bed early.

Sly
08-30-2007, 15:22
Theres a youth hostel in Gettysburg. Less than $10.

... There is?

Sly
08-30-2007, 15:24
How many Gatherings have you been to, Wolf?
:D

I think he's been around since HoboCentral busted up. He's the new kid on the block. ;)

Lone Wolf
08-30-2007, 15:26
I think he's been around since HoboCentral busted up. He's the new kid on the block. ;)

my first was 1992. I got your new kid right here.

DavidNH
08-30-2007, 20:37
My questions are nicely answered.

Jack..by inexpensive motel..I am thinking anything at or under 50 bucks. But if I do make it to the gathering... I will likely camp instead..especially with a quiet area designated. I presume camping is free?

so next task is how to get there (from New Hampshire). I'll check out the ALDHA website for this.

David

Lone Wolf
08-30-2007, 20:44
My questions are nicely answered.

Jack..by inexpensive motel..I am thinking anything at or under 50 bucks. But if I do make it to the gathering... I will likely camp instead..especially with a quiet area designated. I presume camping is free?

so next task is how to get there (from New Hampshire). I'll check out the ALDHA website for this.

David

i'll answer on jack's behalf. $50 or below? back to I-81, go north about 50 miles. this is a hiker event. yes camping is free. but feel free to join ALDHA. it ain't much. are you a pack sniffer?

DavidNH
08-30-2007, 20:51
i'll answer on jack's behalf. $50 or below? back to I-81, go north about 50 miles. this is a hiker event. yes camping is free. but feel free to join ALDHA. it ain't much. are you a pack sniffer?

Funny guy Wolfe.

I already belong to ALDHA. Here in New Hampshire..You would be hard pressed to find a motel for that price. I am happy with free camping!

Lone Wolf
08-30-2007, 20:53
Funny guy Wolfe.

I already belong to ALDHA. Here in New Hampshire..You would be hard pressed to find a motel for that price. I am happy with free camping!

very good then. camp next to me. i retire around 2300 nightly.

max patch
08-30-2007, 21:37
... There is?

oops....

there used to be. it went belly up.

mweinstone
08-31-2007, 13:11
i am the worlds only matthew claude weinstone and when i say camp ,... camp! buildings are for kids. join us on the dust you came from. roll with us in the posion ivy you so sorely need. laugh with us at lonewolfs one liners. laugh with us at lonewolfs panty liners. eat steak and bacon shakes at matthewskis. soak your sore bones in wearyness as the drumming raises the dawn. use your ass as a chair, your mouth as an overeating devise and your skin as a girl rubbing thinggy. ?????? first signal in a while, im a little frisky. better attack lonewolf now. he never fights back.
hey lonewolf? i heard your a sissy. any truth to this? xoxoxoxmatty.lol
in life,.. their will be wolves.........

mweinstone
08-31-2007, 13:12
and then their was lonewolf........

mweinstone
08-31-2007, 13:16
thats a picture of lonewolf trying to buy some old guys exlax. seems wolfs a wee tad irregular. he really isnt supposed to go off his diet of muselex and metamucil.

Wonder
08-31-2007, 13:28
Oh man....I can't wait to see this....

Jack Tarlin
08-31-2007, 13:32
David:

Camping at the ALDHA campground isn't "free"; it is, instead, fully included with your registration fee for the event, along with the right to attend any and all other Gathering activities.

From what I've heard, the campground is quite nice, I hope you elect to camp with the group. Also, I haven't been there for awhile, but finding a motel room that isn't a hovel in Gettsyburg during an October weekend, for fifty dollars or less, could be a bit of a stretch.

mweinstone
08-31-2007, 13:36
im comming to the gathering early. maby wed. if anyone wants to ride me from philly. ill pay gas tolls food coffie. 215 668 0898. i spent my 15th summer working in gettysburg restoring the battelfeild and building the big round top trail for the national park service. it was 1976 and we saw the largest battle re enactment ever. then we trash picked every human fluid in a bag you need not imagine. we had smokey hats and nps patches and those green and grey park servise clothes. it was great. for those who dont know, i can give a tour like no other. i know stuff the guides dont. like where its cool to (word filtered from whiteblaze. nets filter that matthewski invented witch means nothing but stands for something)

filter that sucka!lol.

Lone Wolf
08-31-2007, 13:37
hey lonewolf? i heard your a sissy. any truth to this? xoxoxoxmatty.lol
in life,.. their will be wolves.........

yeth, i am. just a big queen bear. :p

Frosty
08-31-2007, 19:46
If the above can't be had.. are there inexpensive motels nearby (within 10 miles)?Not within 10 miles, I'm sure, but I just reserved two nights at Chambersburg Econolodge (about 25 miles) for $59. a night in case my wife decides to accompany me. She probably won't, and I'll likely cancel the reservations, but it doesn't hurt to make them. There may be a cheaper motel closer, but I couldn't find one on the internet.

Mother Natures Son
08-31-2007, 19:51
If you don't want to camp at the Gathering and can't find a decent & cheap hotel may I recomend the Ironmaster's hostel near the mid-way point of the trail. (Pine Grove State Park) It's about $18.00 per night and only a short drive from Gettysburg. BTY, North of Gettysburg is prime Apple country and there is lots of good road side stands that sell Apples cheap!

Mother Natures Son:banana

Jester2000
08-31-2007, 20:06
The fee to attend the gathering includes camping. The quiet area is separated from the fire by a barn, which we're hoping will block any noise. But seriously, we're not having a drum circle, are we?

Unlike at Storr's, the camping area is not huge and broken up into different areas naturally, so we'll all have to do our best to be considerate of others.

Personally, I'm bringing earplugs, which I intend to put in so I don't have to hear the person who comes up to me at 7:30 pm to tell me it's time to quiet down so they can go to sleep.

Jester2000
08-31-2007, 20:12
PS -- That's not how you spell Gettysburg.

StarLyte
08-31-2007, 21:32
Nothing like a night on Whiteblaze....love it.

Sly where you writing from?

RedneckRye
09-01-2007, 01:54
Ah yes, it is one my favorite seasons of the year, the pre-Gathering whining time. Almost as much fun as the post-Gathering complaining time.

At the 2006 ADZPCTKO, there were earplugs in every registration packet. They were donated by someone who was tired of hearing folks complain about other hikers having fun after the sun went down.

Anyone have any idea how much a case of earplugs costs?

If my body would let me, I'd like to stay up and be loud and excited and happy to see everyone for the entire Gathering. From when I arrive till when I leave. Screaming, yelling, and excited at 3AM, 9AM, Noon, 4PM, 11PM Friday, Saturday, Sunday and all points in between. I'll be quite and reverential on either Thursday or Monday when I am out walking the battlefield.

I will also enjoy not showering for a few days. It will almost make me feel like a hiker.

Heater
09-01-2007, 06:33
Ah yes, it is one my favorite seasons of the year, the pre-Gathering whining time. Almost as much fun as the post-Gathering complaining time.

At the 2006 ADZPCTKO, there were earplugs in every registration packet. They were donated by someone who was tired of hearing folks complain about other hikers having fun after the sun went down.

If my body would let me, I'd like to stay up and be loud and excited and happy to see everyone for the entire Gathering. From when I arrive till when I leave. Screaming, yelling, and excited at 3AM, 9AM, Noon, 4PM, 11PM Friday, Saturday, Sunday and all points in between. I'll be quite and reverential on either Thursday or Monday when I am out walking the battlefield.

I will also enjoy not showering for a few days. It will almost make me feel like a hiker.

$58.29 (500 pairs)

http://www.coopersafety.com/item/100047/Moldex-PlugStation-with-500-pairs-of-SparkPlugs.aspx

:D

Lone Wolf
09-01-2007, 06:41

Donate hell! Sell em' to the sniveling pack sniffers for $1 per pair. All procedes go to ALDHA.

Heater
09-01-2007, 06:51
Donate hell! Sell em' to the sniveling pack sniffers for $1 per pair. All procedes go to ALDHA.

That is a good idea.

RedneckRye
09-02-2007, 18:22
Once again Lone Wolf proves his genius.
I may have to do that.

Mother Natures Son
09-02-2007, 18:50
If you want good ear plugs, I have tons left over from a job. Howard Leight, Laser Lite rated at 32 decibels. (brand new) Will barter for AT mementos, Pizza Hut pizza or other good stuff.
Mother Natures Son:banana :banana:banana :banana

mweinstone
09-04-2007, 07:42
on the atol witch is the reminents of atlantis where im from,...matthewskis are dipped in honey at birth to make them sweet. when i was 5 i set to sea on a raft alone. a long 12 years stuck in the sargofago sea eating seaweed gave me an idea. what if they could make ice cream clear? just a thaught. and if they could, wouldnt it stand to reason that cookies and other sweets could also be made clear? and if we take just a small leap of imagination, we see that science may one day soon actually create the element clear. witch would have the property of being able to make any thing clear. and then it would be a simple matter of dousing myself with this element and becoming clear. then i could do anything. from breaking and entering bacon factorys, to robbing bacon from the rich and giving bacon to the poor baconless humanitys. oh friends, have we not bacon to give each other? and in having bacon, do we not searve ? and if it is indeed nobeler to receive bacon for the sole pourpse of,....RANT INTERUPTION SERVISES INTERRUPTS THIS RANT. WE APOLOGIZE FOR ANY INCONVEINYENCE RANT CORP HAS CAUSED. RANTS WITH NO BEGINING OR END ARE FORBIDDEN.

Old Hillwalker
09-04-2007, 07:49
It's clear to sea that ewe has two much tyme on yer hands Maddy. See ya at the Gathering ol buddy.

mweinstone
09-04-2007, 07:57
actually im on my hands and knees from overwork. im exsausted. i cant stop working. im caught in some kind of workwarp. im equating this dark to dark schedual im keeping , to thruhiking. im pretending im hiking by working till im sore and broken. and im simulating the effects of hiking by getting all cut and bruised at work. that way, i arrive home dirty, bloody and exsausted just like real hikers. its how my sick brain works. this years unbelivably cool hikers are really makeing me jelouse. this is a cool ass class we got here. and your a big help hillwalker.i treasure my new pin you gave me. thanks.

veteran
09-04-2007, 12:29
This link (http://www.aldha.org/newsletr/07fall.pdf) will take you to a PDF copy of the fall newsletter which is packed with information about the Gathering.
If you would like a brochure (http://www.aldha.org/newsletr/brochr07.pdf) that you can print out in color, here’s where to get one. It includes a few details about the 2007 Gettysburg Gathering, directions to Gettysburg, important dates for hikers, key names and addresses, and a registration form.

Bedtime for Bongos....

Thanx to Ready and Sly for this information; David, this should answer your question.

But if anyone wants to "threaten drum circle activities", well, I'm all for it!!
Threaten away!! Were it up to me, any drumming that weekend would be taking place in Maryland! :D

From the ALDHA Newsletter:
Attendees to the 2007 Gathering are encouraged to bring an instrument - guitars, banjos, fiddles, kazoos,
washboards, spoons, jugs, tambourines, bongos, flutes, pan pipes, etc. - there are as many options as
there are imaginations. Come ready to have fun and jam at the drop of a hiking pole. Just think, any place there
are a few hikers gathered together, guerilla musicians may emerge and spontaneous jam sessions occur.
Aaaarrrghh! Let’s get together and make some trail music! :D