PDA

View Full Version : Site close to road for disabled hiker

subzero12
08-30-2007, 17:07
Ok, disabled is a major overstatement but I wanted to keep the title concise. I have patellofemoral pain... you know a knee injury that will get better with time. I had a 50 miler planned for mid October between James river and Tye River, VA. The Dr. said no verticals but maybe minor flats hiking and short ditances by then or I could lose all my therapy progress. Question is, anyone know of a great hike that is close to a road, maybe a mile or two and has a good spot to camp? Or have I been forced to the indignity of car camping which takes out all joys of shaving ounces and the actual sense of accomplishment? I liked wolfe shelter which was about 5 miles in from rockfish gap, VA but I think the vertical would be too much plus Im trying to cover all of Virginia in the next couple of years so Id like to keep moving. Thanks for the advice!

Sly
08-30-2007, 17:35
There are quite a few shelters close to the trail along the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyland Drive.

Here, take a peak...

http://www.aldha.org/companyn/va07.pdf

Wonder
08-31-2007, 09:19
Check out the area between Shady Valley(91) and Damascus. It's only about 22miles, but very forgiving trail. The first mile IS Handicapped Accessable trail. There are a couple light ups and a long down at the end.....but it's some of the "flat-est" trail I've seen

mudhead
08-31-2007, 16:28
Nothing indignant about car camping.

Or canoe camping.

I don't care to be around "Coleman lantern people," but to each their own.

You should see how much crap I can stuff in the truck. Never know, you might want that sixth flashlight.

Heater
08-31-2007, 20:20
I don't care to be around "Coleman lantern people," but to each their own.

You should see how much crap I can stuff in the truck. Never know, you might want that sixth flashlight.

Especially when you burn out the first 5 'cause you didn't bring the Coleman lantern! :D