PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Update

Jack Tarlin
11-03-2003, 16:30
For the past few years, I've written a lengthy post on Maildrops/Re-Supply/Shopping/Lodging Options on the A.T., with particular emphasis on new establishments/service providers and changes/additions/losses from the previous year. I've received excellent feedback from a lot of folks over the years who've found this material useful, especially in so far as planning maildrops, shopping for food en route, looking for maildrop sites other than Post Offices, etc.

I plan to up-date this material in the next few weeks for the 2004 hiking season. If anyone knows of any brand-new facilities that have either opened in the past year (hostels, B&B's, outfitters, stores, markets, etc.) that you think should be added to this post, or if anyone has information on new facilities/services that'll be open for hikers next year, please pass this information along so I can include it. Also, if anyone cares to go over the 2003 information in order to comment on the information presented there, fact-check it, add to it, improve it, etc., I'd appreciate hearing from you, either here at this thread, or by writing me directly at [email protected] The 2003 Information can be found here on Whiteblaze if you go the "Media" section.

The more information and material I get, and the more feedback from other folks, the better next year's information will be. The whole purpose of this annual exercise is to get useful and accurate information out to as many people as possible; thanks in advance for any help, inclusions, suggestions, comments, etc.

Jack Tarlin
11-03-2003, 16:34
Whoops. Forgot one important thing: When the 2004 Info is compiled, it'll be posted here to Whiteblaze (most likely in "Articles" section of the website) which is probably the place where it'll reach the most people. I'll hopefully have this done in a week or so.

ChicagoRob
11-03-2003, 17:07
I've referred to your list often in planning for my 2004 thru. Looking forward to the updates.

thyroid
11-03-2003, 20:16
Thanks Jack.

A-Train
11-04-2003, 00:38
Terrapin Station Hostel located a half mile from AT on compton gap fire road just before exiting the shenendoahs (northbound). Ran by a friendly guy named Mike "Grateful Greenpeace Guy" of 95'. Charged 13 bucks for a bunk/laundry/shower. Had a small limited resupply and snacks and sodas. His cost also included one free shuttle to Front Royal. 2 dollars for an extra shuttle into town. Was able to resupply at big grocery in town. He'll bring hikers to pick up dinner.
Outfitter in Front Royal as well. Seemed decent. Had hiker box for ATers. Was friendly.

Tellico Gap hostel is closed.

Rainbow Springs Campground-new owners were very nice and accept maildrops, which old owners did do. Decent resupply-enough to get to NOC if you skip Franklin.

Deer Path Hostel 14 miles south of Port Clinton. Didn;t stay here, but almost everyone else did and raved about it. Cottage and gourmet vegetarian meals offered for donation only to thru-hikers.

Vern's Outfitter in Port Clinton should be out of business any day now with the building of the mega-cabellas nearby which is a shame.

There was a small new hostel in Hot Springs. A few hikers stayed there and liked it.

Daves Place in Damascus is a great hostel-only 5 bucks. It does however leak after much rainfall! We had to evacuate the rooms for a bit-hope they've fixed this. There was a new restaunt opened at the north end of town before the trail goes left into the woods. Might be worth mentioning also that Mountain Man has sold Side track and it will have a new owner.

The village Inn at Atkins is now the Relax Inn.

Boy Scout shelter has been rebuilt, might be worth mentioing as alternative to Catawba as far as lodging.

Chesire Mass has a new snack shop called T's Treats. I met the owner who is incredibly friendly. Has hiker register and fills water.

The supposed hostel on Greylock had not opened in June when I went thru. Is possible to overnight it in the emergency shelter up there. The prices for the lodge are pricy, but they did let a few hikers work for stay regarding the 16 dollar dinner.

Large grocery store .3 left at US 2 near north adams/williamstown.

The Avalanche Motel is very cheap and hiker friendly. A mile or so from Manchester Vermont, easy hitch. Good chinese/asian restraunt attached to motel.

Don't know if you even mention them, but hikers paradise in gorham doesnt accept maildrops anymore.

Might want to reiterate the importance of a maildrop in Andover. I think I was lead to believe there was good resupply here. Between the 2 places the resupply is still pretty shotty.

Rangeley. There is a new IGA which is closer to the trail, about a mile before you hit rangeley. Makes it possible to avoid the town vortex a bit.

Caratunk-might be worth mentioning the hot tub place about 3 miles down on 201. I think its called northern outdoors. It was very hiker friendly and offered us free showers, hot tubs and run of the place. Food wasn't too pricy, good beer.

Thats all I can think of. Hope this helps a bit.

Almanac
11-04-2003, 07:53
Hey Baltimore Jack

I don't think we've actually met, but I know you hiked with Sidetrack this year(she was Scavenger in 2000). I think she mentioned to you about a new hostel in GA...well, that's me! My husband and I are opening a hostel in Dahlonega in February. We plan to provide shuttles from the airport/bus stations in Atlanta & Gainesville, stop at an outfitter, free white gas or alcohol with stay, overnight stay, breakfast and shuttle to the trailhead (Amicalola or Springer). We also plan a daily pickup at Woody Gap, which is about 6 miles (by road) from the hostel. Our website (www.hikerhostel.com) has more information. We would love to be included in your update, and if you need more information, just let me know.

Leigh Saint (Almanac)

Youngblood
11-04-2003, 10:18
Originally posted by Almanac
Hey Baltimore Jack

I don't think we've actually met, but I know you hiked with Sidetrack this year(she was Scavenger in 2000). I think she mentioned to you about a new hostel in GA...well, that's me! My husband and I are opening a hostel in Dahlonega in February. We plan to provide shuttles from the airport/bus stations in Atlanta & Gainesville, stop at an outfitter, free white gas or alcohol with stay, overnight stay, breakfast and shuttle to the trailhead (Amicalola or Springer). We also plan a daily pickup at Woody Gap, which is about 6 miles (by road) from the hostel. Our website (www.hikerhostel.com) has more information. We would love to be included in your update, and if you need more information, just let me know.

Leigh Saint (Almanac)

Almanac,

Youngblood'00 here. I'll have to stop by an say hello next time I am up that way. How many people can you haul around at one time? I backpacked to Bly Gap last weekend and saw at least 3 vehicles parked at Blue Ridge Gap (none were cars or vans) which is only about 3 miles from Bly Gap. Apparently some of the hiking clubs have found a way to shorten the hike to the NC border. Good luck with your new venture.

Almanac
11-04-2003, 10:25
Hi Youngblood

Absolutely stop by! I'll be glad to give you directions. I emailed Little Bear when I saw his post about the seminar you guys are doing at REI...hopefully, he'll be coming by before or after the hike up Blood later in the month. You're more than welcome, too!

Blue Ridge Gap - I think I know where you're talking about. Profile and I actually drove up there when we were looking for land near the AT. There was actually a stack of business cards for a taxi service the day we were there...which was quite a while back.

As far as shuttling people, we'll be able to carry 7 people plus gear.

Almanac

max patch
11-04-2003, 10:49
Went to your website; your "Thruhiker Special" is an incredible deal. Any 2004'ers who are coming in from out of town should make their reservations as soon as their travel plans are made. If you don't go bankrupt in the process (by not charging nearly enough!!!) you are going to make a lot of friends in the hiker community. Good luck.

Almanac
11-04-2003, 11:41
We're trying to keep the rate reasonable for hikers. We've talked to many thru-hikers the past few years at Trail Days to see how much people were spending just to get to the trail....and were quite surprised. We also don't want to be seen as trying to "rip-off" or "get rich" by overcharging. In the end we may find that we have to increase our rates, but we won't do that unless we have to. I think we have a good chance of being a successful hostel, as there is a need for such a service in the area. Profile and I talked a lot about opening a hostel during our thru-hike, and now it all seems to be working out...just like things did on the trail. Hopefully, we can get the word out to future thru-hikers!

Pedestrian
11-04-2003, 12:01
Almanac
Were are you located at? I live about 2 miles north of stonepile gap on hwy 19N.

Your on-line journal was the first that I followed. I'm glad to here that you're still in the area.

Almanac
11-04-2003, 12:07
Hi Pedestrian

We're actually 1 mile south of Stonepile Gap. We're the first drive on the right before you get to McDonald road (that's if you're heading toward Dahlonega). It's a log home up on the hill. Stop by sometime...we're not living there yet, but we're up there nearly every day after work trying to get the place finished.

That's neat that you read our journal! We're actually trying to get access to it again so we can put it our website.

Pedestrian
11-04-2003, 12:22
I said to my yesterday that we sould drive up and take a look at that place. Welcome to the neighborhood! Nice house by the way.

Good luck getting that out of him. Did you know that he is living in Conyers now? You could show and demand it! (I fear to mention his name. It start this thread down the wrong direction.)

Almanac
11-04-2003, 15:52
Hi Pedestrian

We're actually 1 mile south of Stonepile Gap. We're the first drive on the right before you get to McDonald road (that's if you're heading toward Dahlonega). It's a log home up on the hill. Stop by sometime...we're not living there yet, but we're up there nearly every day after work trying to get the place finished.

That's neat that you read our journal! We're actually trying to get access to it again so we can put it our website.