PDA

View Full Version : No camping allowed at Maryland shelters ?

Thomas Cosden
08-30-2007, 20:41
I've been reading the "Appalachian Trail Guide to Maryland and Northern Virginia With Side Trails" and I notice that at most of the shelters camping is not permitted. I was not planning on staying in the shelters, I was hoping to camp near or around the shelter itself. What about stoping any place along the trail and camping for the night? Of course we would practice "leave no trace camping". Has anyone had a problem camping at a shelter or on the trail in Maryland? Please let me know.

Lone Wolf
08-30-2007, 20:48
i pretty much do what i want. camping/laying down-for-the-night wise. no problem. just sleep, get up, and go

Tennessee Viking
08-31-2007, 00:03
I've been reading the "Appalachian Trail Guide to Maryland and Northern Virginia With Side Trails" and I notice that at most of the shelters camping is not permitted. I was not planning on staying in the shelters, I was hoping to camp near or around the shelter itself. What about stoping any place along the trail and camping for the night? Of course we would practice "leave no trace camping". Has anyone had a problem camping at a shelter or on the trail in Maryland? Please let me know.
I can only think that the ground around some of the shelters might not be secure enough for tent stakes. Bald Mountain Shelter in North Carolina has that problem. Campers have to hike about a mile or more.

redtail
08-31-2007, 11:00
No camping allowed at Maryland shelters? = FALSE

Thomas Cosden
08-31-2007, 18:06
Thank's for the input everyone. I guess as long as you're not there long term nothing will be said. But I'll quote from the trail guide at Maryland Section Two, Raven Rock Hallow to Wolfsville Road-" Shelter/Camping: Ensign Cowall Memorial Shelter,Camping and open fires are prohibited in this section."

Pokey2006
09-01-2007, 05:58
I can't find that note about no camping allowed in my guidebook. I don't remember that particular shelter (Cowall), but I did camp at the next one down, Devil's Racecourse. There's a very large campsite not far off the trail, though you have to go way down the hill to the shelter to get your water. Looks like there's also a campsite a few miles before Cowall, so you could aim for one or the other if you were concerned about that particular shelter not allowing camping.

The only camping restrictions I recall in Maryland were at Washington Monument Park.

Pokey2006
09-01-2007, 06:01
Wait, sorry, I spoketh too soon. I did find the note. But I assume it means no "stealth" camping. Camping at shelters should be fine, as shelters are generally considered "designated campsites."

"Overnight camping in Maryland is allowed only at designated
campsites. Please obey camping regulations in this heavily used
section."

Lugnut
09-01-2007, 08:22
Rocky Run has a very obvious camping area just down front of the shelter towards the water source. There was also a swing on the veranda.

JAK
09-01-2007, 10:30
Wait, sorry, I spoketh too soon. I did find the note. But I assume it means no "stealth" camping. Camping at shelters should be fine, as shelters are generally considered "designated campsites."

"Overnight camping in Maryland is allowed only at designated
campsites. Please obey camping regulations in this heavily used
section."
That's why we call it "stealth" camping. ;)

veteran
09-01-2007, 14:18
Campsites along the AT in Maryland:

Dahlgren Backpack Campground

Greenbrier State Park

Annapolis Rock Campsite

Pogo Memorial Campsite

Skyline
09-01-2007, 15:33
I think the key words are: "in this section." In Maryland, you can't camp legally just anywhere along the AT. You have to camp at/near shelters or at other designated campsites such as Pogo and Dahlgren.

So the verbage "Maryland Section Two, Raven Rock Hollow to Wolfsville Road . . . Camping and open fires are prohibited in this section." The exception is the Cowell Shelter and surrounding area.

Thomas Cosden
09-01-2007, 20:20
Thank's for the detailed info everyone,it will help alot with my hiking plans.

emerald
09-01-2007, 21:00
Here's a link (http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/at.html) from Maryland's Department of Natural Resources you may find helpful. You may find other useful information by clicking on LNT in the linked document.