PDA

View Full Version : First real hike - and it's in the Mahoosucs. Help.

theunstrungharp
08-30-2007, 21:43
I've never done much more than day hikes and now I'm about to do a 7 day thing in the Mahoosucs from Gorham to Rangeley on the AT. I am really nervous. I need reassurance that an average person can do this.

My friend will be with me, and he is on his first thru-hike so he is experienced but has never done this area. I am somewhat fit but not super athletic. And at only 5'3", things like the Cathedral Trail on Katahdin were really scary at times, thanks to my short little legs and really giant boulders.

I don't usually get nervous about things so I am kind of freaked out. Would love some support. I leave in less than a week.

Thanks in advance.

Lone Wolf
08-30-2007, 21:51
as long as your friend lets you dictate the pace, you'll be fine. 10 miles per day max is good. couple days off would be good too. don't bust your balls for HIS hike

The Old Fhart
08-30-2007, 21:55
If you can do the Cathedral Trail you should be fine. Enjoy!

theunstrungharp
08-30-2007, 22:02
We had to turn around right as I was getting somewhat stuck (definitely mentally and temporarily physically!) at the bottom of the first Cathedral -- it was beginning to pour. GULP.

weary
08-30-2007, 23:17
I've never done much more than day hikes and now I'm about to do a 7 day thing in the Mahoosucs from Gorham to Rangeley on the AT. I am really nervous. I need reassurance that an average person can do this.

My friend will be with me, and he is on his first thru-hike so he is experienced but has never done this area. I am somewhat fit but not super athletic. And at only 5'3", things like the Cathedral Trail on Katahdin were really scary at times, thanks to my short little legs and really giant boulders.

I don't usually get nervous about things so I am kind of freaked out. Would love some support. I leave in less than a week.

Thanks in advance.
A lot of average people have done the Mahoosucs, including my two boys when they were age 10 or so.

modiyooch
08-31-2007, 08:05
Just finished the Mahoosuc Notch/Arm. We started at Grafton Notch and hiked South to Gorham, which I think was a wise approach. We hiked 7 miles in to a campsite at the start of the Notch. That 7 miles took the better part of the day; whereas we came down Old Speck and the Mahoosic Arm and got a later start. We ate dinner for breakfast and then tackled the notch as our first mile of the day. It took 3 hours to do the obstacle course. We only accomplished 7 miles that day, too. Then it gradually gets easier to Gorham. My companion was 5'4, I am taller. She went through the crevices; I went over. She went left; I went right. You can do it, but I definately underestimated the terrain of the Whites, and the area surrounding the notch. I would allow 4 days for the 31 miles between Grafton Notch and Gorham. You can then catch a shuttle to do Grafton to Rangely. IMO

modiyooch
08-31-2007, 08:07
watch out for the 3 ft mud hole on top of mt success. I thought that I was in quicksand. It shook me up.

Jan LiteShoe
08-31-2007, 08:51
The Mahoosucs are lovely, one of the favorite parts of my trip. I've got 4" on you, but am female and no longer blessed with abundant cartilage.

I'm curious though - why are you joining up with a thruhiker for this section?

One other thing to explore, as LW touched on it. By Maine, there is this enormous tug to finish (I slowed down, but still fellt it). A NOBO by then has made strong friendships. To treat you well and hike your pace - and that's what you and he will have to do to get your confidence up and avoid fatigue, injuries, sour attitude, etc - he'll have to let these friends hike on past. That' tough.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, if that's the wholehearted choice, but it's good to be aware of the issues. That tug to go strongly on his part is something he'll need to become aware of, and slowing down is something he'll need to accept wholeheartedly, without resentment. This is, obviously, out of your control.

Just don't let anyone rush you down the rocks. Start hiking early so you have plenty of leisure and rest during the day. Be flexible enough to have a back-up plan if the dynamics turn south.

On the other hand, in this wonderful area, you have the potential for an excellent adventure. Best of luck!

Like LW said, if he's willing, you'll be fine.

theunstrungharp
08-31-2007, 09:49
Thanks everyone.
My buddy is great and I think he'll be a very flexible hiking companion. He assures me that he wants to go slowly in Maine anyway because it is supposed to be very beautiful. Indeed, it's worth it to go slowly, in my opinion -- not that I am biased or anything, but I do live in Maine. :) We're both easygoing personalities so I think we'll be okay in that department.

The reason we're doing this section together (planned before I realized it was one of the toughest parts!) is becasue this was the block of time that I had free. And, as I mentioned, I live only several hours drive away, in Maine.

I am just kind of shocked at how afraid I am of the whole thing. I am trying to pack as little/lightly as humanly possible but I am learning that it's quite a learned skill... Oy.

Thanks everyone. More replies are welcome.

Turtle2
09-03-2007, 17:01
I am 5 ft tall and went thru the Notch last year by myself. Made it in 1 hour 30 minutes. Just remember--if you see an arrow pointing down, go up. I found that following the arrows resulted in removing pack more often than not. Just take your time and don't be afraid to butt slide.

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 17:08
Did anyone remove the Moose carcass from The Mahoosuc Notch? It was freshly deceased when I went through (at night) the first week of July.

weary
09-03-2007, 19:16
The Mahoosucs are lovely, one of the favorite parts of my trip. I've got 4" on you, but am female and no longer blessed with abundant cartilage.....Like LW said, if he's willing, you'll be fine.
Liteshoe is offering good advice. I used to be a reasonably strong hiker. But by the time I attempted a thru hike at age 64 I had slowed enormously. But everyone who joined my hike for a few days or a few weeks complained that I was too fast and went too many miles per day -- even though I was deliberately slowing down and cutting my miles per day.

After having hiked 18 hundred miles, expect only very special thru hiker friends to be comfortable slowing enough to ease a day hiker through the Mahoosucs. and into Rangeley.

Weary

theunstrungharp
09-03-2007, 19:21
Haven't heard, but I'll let you know on the 12th if I see/smell it!

I am still pretty nervous but really looking forward to this adventure... I leave on Weds morning. I think mostly I am just going to be slower that I'd like to be. Oh well. More time to enjoy scenery.

wakapak
09-03-2007, 22:18
Enjoy it!! That's a beautiful section, I had fun thru the notch and loved Speck Pond!! Maine is so beautiful to hike through!

modiyooch
09-03-2007, 22:25
Did anyone remove the Moose carcass from The Mahoosuc Notch? It was freshly deceased when I went through (at night) the first week of July.
It's still there and it still stinks. smells worse southbound than northbound.

Kerosene
09-04-2007, 08:09
Just think of this as a series of day hikes strung together. Sure, you'll be carrying a heavier pack than you would on a day hike which will slow you down, but a lot of people of varied physiques have hiked this stretch. Your real issue will be speed; even if he's easy-going he's been cranking out full days for months now. Don't be surprised if he hikes ahead a bit and spreads out for a nap on a sunny day. You can bring the hiking paces in line a bit more if you task him with taking a lot of digital photos while you concentrate on taking in the scenery and enjoying the experience.

theunstrungharp
09-04-2007, 11:06
Great idea, Kerosene!! :-) I am actually laving today so I need to go finish packing... Carrying 8 days of food (and almost no STUFF, comparatively!) is completely baffling. Wish me luck....

Jan LiteShoe
09-04-2007, 11:20
Be sure to check back in and let us know how it went.