PDA

View Full Version : Trekking Poles

JERMM
08-31-2007, 08:59
I'm thinking about getting a new pair of trekking poles and would like input from users. I currently have a single pole and have used it for years, heavy compared to todays poles. From what I've learned weight and $$$ seems to be the biggest issue, lighter weight = more $$$.

the biggest visual differences I can see are:

1 - handle material- cork vs. foam
2 - pole- aluminum vs. carbon fiber or other if any
3 - shock poles (kinda like a little shock absorbers built in) vs. lock in

addition info is welcome

gumball
08-31-2007, 09:04
I have a set of Leki's, switching from heavier Komperdell Predators, which I used for years (and they were great, just heavier). My Leki's have foam handles and I think they are titanium or carbon fiber--no shock absorbers.

To be honest, here's what I did: I went to the guys at Mt. Rogers on our annual trip down there and told them vaguely what I was looking for, and they suited me up. I don't remember exactly what they cost--maybe a $100. They took a couple of different poles apart, showed me the necessary parts to be aware of and how one brand was better put together than another--worked out well for me :) gum

SGT Rock
08-31-2007, 09:07
I don't think that poll worked out the way you wanted it to.

1 - handle material- cork vs. foam - I like cork
2 - pole- aluminum vs. carbon fiber or other if any - the carbon fiber ones I tried were too flexabile for me - like hiking with flexi straws.
3 - shock poles (kinda like a little shock absorbers built in) vs. lock in - can't tell that shocks make that big a deal.

Tabasco
08-31-2007, 09:13
1) CORK
2) aluminum
3) shocks not that big of a deal

PS: I am giving a 10 minute over / under before L. Wolf says that poles suck and they are for weenies.

Footslogger
08-31-2007, 09:14

addition info is welcome
===============================================

I made the same transition several years ago. Wouldn't think of backpacking without them now.

1. I've owned both and find the dense foam to be the best in all weather conditions.

2. Have only owned the aluminum type so can't compare directly but comments I've read/heard lead me to believe that the carbon fiber ones (while lighter) are more subject to breakage.

3. The Shock/AntiShock feature is more sizzle than smoke. Unless you plan on stopping now and then while hiking to turn them on and off ...once you own a pair you'll just set them and go hiking. A little "spring" in the pole is nice under all conditions and that's where I leave mine ALL the time.

'Slogger

Lone Wolf
08-31-2007, 09:14
poles are wonderful for those who choose to use them.

Midway Sam
08-31-2007, 09:23

Hahahaha. I nearly choked on my coffee.

Lyle
08-31-2007, 10:17
Whenever a pole thread comes up I can't resist recommending Pacer Poles. Also recommended by Brian at ULA Equipment. I have had these for a couple of years and find them the most comfortable and usable poles I have ever had, including saplings found in the woods. The unique angled grips make a tremendous difference in the all-day comfort while using the poles. HIGHLY Recommended!
http://www.pacerpole.com/

Wonder
08-31-2007, 10:20
Avoid Komperdell.....had returned one set defective, and the replacements snapped in half after 60 miles.
I love my Leki....it's a one time purchase, and the shocks have made a huge difference for me. I was having some shoulder and elbow pain last year, but totally gone once I got the shocks this year

Footslogger
08-31-2007, 10:31
[quote=Wonder;399723]Avoid Komperdell.....had returned one set defective, and the replacements snapped in half after 60 miles.

=====================================

Now that you mention it ...I do think Leki's are more resillient than Komperdells. My wife and I both have had Komperdells for years and find that the lower section tends to kink and bend rather easily. We recently bought some Leki Makalu Ultralights at an REI sale and took them on our section hike in Maine. Had several instances where the Komps would most likely have bent but the Leki's "gave" a bit and bounced back without any permanent damage.

We put big snow baskets on the Komperdells and use them for snowshoeing now.

'Slogger

naturejunkie
08-31-2007, 11:10
Avoid Black Diamond poles with the snap-lock system. I injured my knee on the trail and had to put significant weight on my poles, they collapsed in on themselves over and over, despite repeated tightening. Needless to say it was a major incovenience, I traded a guy for his walmart poles, which held up just fine.

Cuffs
08-31-2007, 11:19
1. Cork composite
2. Ti
3. Shock absorbing

Leki's is what I use (my first and current set) I will say that the 15* bend in the handle makes a huge difference for me! I ordered my first pair with the straight handle, used them around the farm, hated it! It put a cramp in my wrist. Gave them to parents, bought the same pair with the bend inthe handle, LOVE 'EM!!

JERMM
08-31-2007, 19:31
hey, thanks for the input, I'm glad I asked before buying. I almost bought Komperdell's today at REI, REI is selling them under the REI brand name.

NatureJunkie, I looked at the Black Diamond snap lock system, you're right they collapse, the pair I looked at collapsed in the store. The salesperson said to add a little lock tight to the screws, no thanks, I have enough loose screws as it is.

Lyle, I looked at the Pacer Poles online, really like the thought behind them, grips appear to be a very nice design preventing wrist cocking with every step. I'll check out the

Leki's this weekend and will let you know what I get after I try them out for a few miles.

ATBob
09-01-2007, 16:53
I have a Pr of Leki's.
Cork handel
Aluminum
No Shock Abs. - another thing to go wrong.

Leki is a great company. I broke a pole on a NH dayhike. Called Leki on Friday afternoon and Tuesday morning UPS drove down the drive with new bottom and middle sections. Great service.

Tattoo

7Sisters
09-01-2007, 20:10
I'm thinking about getting a new pair of trekking poles and would like input from users. I currently have a single pole and have used it for years, heavy compared to todays poles. From what I've learned weight and $$$ seems to be the biggest issue, lighter weight = more $$$.

addition info is welcome

I own a pair of Leki Super Makula's and love them. The first pair lasted about 5 years and started to break down. From the time I bought the original ones to the updated model, they moved to a cork handle which I strongly recommend. Over time the non cork handle became gummy and tacky and the material would rub off on my hand when I would sweat a lot.

I love the shock because it allows you to be more aggressive with your poles, you can really use them on ascents to engage your upper body without the jarring. If you slip on a descent and have to jam them into a rock or the ground, it's really nice not to have feel your shoulder being jarred.

The other feature I think is great is the ability to telescope your poles. The further north you get, the more you'll want to telescope (contract) your poles during either real crazy ascents or descents (like the Notch). If your poles don't telescope it can become dangerous having them attached to your pack because they can easily snag on a branch and throw you off balance.

Charlie_C
09-01-2007, 21:49
Do poles need to be sized to your height?

Frosty
09-02-2007, 09:34
hey, thanks for the input, I'm glad I asked before buying. I almost bought Komperdell's today at REI, REI is selling them under the REI brand name.I have a pair of Komperdells bought at REI, though under the Komperdell brand. Composite, no shocks.

They have worked fine for me. I have a very old pair (15 or so years old) pair of EMS store brand poles. Heavy (22 ounces for pair vs 10 for the Komperdells). I use them on day hikes here in NE, where getting them caught in rocks results in bending then (again) vs snapping them.

Concur with Black Diamond. Great poles, but that snap-lock thingie just doesn't work for me. In order for them not to slip, you have to torque them down so tightly that it is hard to lock them. That makes it too hard to adjust while hiking (I lengthen poles somewhat on long gradual downhills and quite a bit on steep downhills), especially in winter with gloves/mittens on.

For the hiker who asked about sizing, all but the ultralight poles adjust. They usually have three sections, and break down to about 2 feet long. Useful to stick on pack when walking around town or transporting backpack/gear.

NICKTHEGREEK
09-02-2007, 10:04
I have a pair of Komperdells bought at REI, though under the Komperdell brand. Composite, no shocks.

They have worked fine for me. I have a very old pair (15 or so years old) pair of EMS store brand poles. Heavy (22 ounces for pair vs 10 for the Komperdells). I use them on day hikes here in NE, where getting them caught in rocks results in bending then (again) vs snapping them.

Concur with Black Diamond. Great poles, but that snap-lock thingie just doesn't work for me. In order for them not to slip, you have to torque them down so tightly that it is hard to lock them. That makes it too hard to adjust while hiking (I lengthen poles somewhat on long gradual downhills and quite a bit on steep downhills), especially in winter with gloves/mittens on.

For the hiker who asked about sizing, all but the ultralight poles adjust. They usually have three sections, and break down to about 2 feet long. Useful to stick on pack when walking around town or transporting backpack/gear.

I'm still using a pair of REI brand poles made by Komperdell bought 7 years ago. They are "ultra-Light" with the Long foam grips. They have proven to be very decent and a good value. The "long" foam grips are touted to be more versatile, allowing you to "choke up" on the pole for uphills. Of course you must remove your wrist from the strap to do so. I just find the foam much more comfortable than the hard plastic.
My wife (ab)used a pair of Leki poles during the same time frame and they have held up equally well. I wince when I watch her whack things with them, pry rocks, slam the car door on the handles, etc. Maybe the Leki's are better afterall.

Quoddy
09-02-2007, 10:11
I just returned from a thru hike of the LT and used the new Ti Goat Carbon Fiber adjustable poles. At 6.4oz per pair, the weight is hard to beat. They have foam handles which worked great in almost all conditions. Cold and wet conditions made them slightly slippery, at least for me. They don't have a shock absorbing system, and I wouldn't have purchased them if they'd had it. When I plant the pole I want it to be solid, not mushy.

When I came home and picked up my Leki's it was like picking up lead weights.

Footslogger
09-02-2007, 11:17
Do poles need to be sized to your height?

=====================================

No ...but they do need to be adjusted before use. Height of a pole with grip in your hand should allow for approximately a 90 degree bend in the elbow for normal use. Some hikers lengthen a pole a bit on downhills.

'Slogger

Egads
09-02-2007, 13:59
OK I did it. I Just bought some Gossamer Gear Lightrek Carbon Fiber poles at 5.8 oz. Quoddy, thanks for the nudge in my quest for lightness. We'll see how these match up to my Leki Super Maks.

Egads

JERMM
09-03-2007, 21:08
Okay, I bought a pair of Leki ultralite Makalu titanium with shocks. I hiked 11 miles this weekend with them and really like um. As far as the shocks go, I'm undecided, will hike a few more miles then give them a try in the locked position.

This is the first time I've used two poles, better balance and easier on my knees during decents.

Outlaw
09-04-2007, 07:34
Okay, As far as the shocks go, I'm undecided, will hike a few more miles then give them a try in the locked position.

I love my Leki's but I wish I didn't get them with shocks... too noisy. After a few days in the woods, I personally find the noise to be really annoying and I personally have not found the shocks all that necessary or effective.

But, overall, my Leki's have been great and my knees are really greatful for the assistance. ;)

Rain Man
09-04-2007, 11:10
I love my Leki's but I wish I didn't get them with shocks... too noisy. After a few days in the woods, I personally find the noise to be really annoying and I personally have not found the shocks all that necessary or effective.

Exactly same opinion here! Way too much "clickety clack" constant noise, plus never got used to the "mushy" feeling, I wanted silent, SOLID support.

I switched to Leki ultralite Makalu titanium (without shock absorbers). They are lighter, quieter, and solider! LOL

Rain:sunMan

JERMM
09-06-2007, 17:10
I haven't noticed any "clickety clack" or other noises so far, it could be that mine are still new and they are quite. I locked out the shocks for about 6-7 miles and didn't notice any difference on level or semi level ground. Once I reached a steep grade up down hill then down the other side I noticed the difference. I favor the shocks in the on position for the up and down sides of steep grades. On level ground shocks or no shocks it's all the same to me.

wrongway_08
09-06-2007, 17:16
I was going to buy a new set of Lekis, but the new ones make that clicky noise with the shock.
My old set - is around 14 years old, has the shock but it does not make that clicky noise. The shock is also stiffer on my old one, the new style was too loose feeling for me.
ended up sticking with my old set.

Egads
09-06-2007, 17:40
Y-not lock the shoks out if the clickity clack bothers you?

Egads

hopefulhiker
09-06-2007, 17:46
I used the Leki Malakus
Cork, aluminum, no shocks.. worked pretty well, bent two and Leki fixed them..
would definetly reccomend poles, work well with the Tarp tent too.
Also don't use the straps going down hill....

Outlaw
09-06-2007, 18:00
Y-not lock the shoks out if the clickity clack bothers you? Egads

I have mine locked, but there is still a fair amount of noise from within plus the noise of the tips clicking against rocks. :(

Also don't use the straps going down hill....

Prey tell? :confused:

SteveJ
09-06-2007, 18:05
Hahahaha. I nearly choked on my coffee.

I DID choke on my coffee!

DBT fan
09-06-2007, 22:02
1 - handle material - foam (may try cork later)
2 - pole - aluminum
3 - no schocks - hate the added noise and unstable feel of shock absorbers.

One of these days may try a pair of Leki's but I am very satisfied with Black Diamond poles with the FlintLocks. Mine are the 3 section poles with FlintLocks on both the upper and lower shaft (didn't care for the awkward binary locks). I store the poles with the FlintLocks open and never had any problems with slippage or collapsing (yet).

http://www.bdel.com/gear/trail.php <o>:p></o>:p>

Time To Fly 97
09-07-2007, 08:13
Also don't use the straps going down hill.... :confused:

I'm sure you have a reason for giving this advice...may I ask what it is?

Happy hiking!

TTF

whitefoot_hp
09-11-2007, 16:29
swiss gear hiking poles

L Tee
10-14-2007, 17:13

hahhahahahaha 1 minute. Oh and yeah I know im like 2 months behind.

Flush2wice
10-23-2007, 11:24
I've seen a lot of people list trekking poles when they post their gear list. I did a search to see what most people think about them and I was surprised that I didn't see any comments like "why in the world would anyone choose to carry sticks in the woods??". So I thought I would ask it. Why in the world would anyone carry sticks in the woods?? Why would anyone pay upwards of $100 apiece for ski poles in the summer? I've been walking since I was one and I never needed sticks. They probably cause you to fall down more times than they save you from falling down. Pole for your tarptent?- carry a cheap nesting pole from Sprawlmart or better yet find a stick in the woods. I wish I had thought about manufacturing store-bought sticks.
I think this forum needs a good debate on the merits or lack of merits for hiking with sticks.

Lone Wolf
10-23-2007, 11:30
I've seen a lot of people list trekking poles when they post their gear list. I did a search to see what most people think about them and I was surprised that I didn't see any comments like "why in the world would anyone choose to carry sticks in the woods??". So I thought I would ask it. Why in the world would anyone carry sticks in the woods?? Why would anyone pay upwards of $100 apiece for ski poles in the summer? I've been walking since I was one and I never needed sticks. They probably cause you to fall down more times than they save you from falling down. Pole for your tarptent?- carry a cheap nesting pole from Sprawlmart or better yet find a stick in the woods. I wish I had thought about manufacturing store-bought sticks.
I think this forum needs a good debate on the merits or lack of merits for hiking with sticks.

me and you are the only ones that don't use them. everybody else falls for the marketing

cowboy nichols
10-23-2007, 12:50
When younger I used a wooden staff that was carved for me. While on the AT the first time a young man asked me to try his Store bought poles going down a steep incline WOW I bought a pair as soon as possible The wooden carved one stands in the corner as a fond memory. Cowboy

CoyoteWhips
10-23-2007, 13:13
I have a Wallmart Swiss gear pole; cork, aluminum, shock absorber. It makes no noise and I made sure it locked well before I took it out of the store.

I'm going to get another one, so I have a pair. I hesitated, because sometimes I like walking with one or no poles, but my new REI backpack has really cool bungee straps that work well with poles.

Ashman
11-08-2007, 07:35
Are poles the kind of thing you can try before you buy? Do outfitters (ie REI) rent them out?

Flush2wice
11-08-2007, 09:10
I think I'm going to get into the pole business, I have some ideas. I'll post pics when I get the prototype done.

Cuffs
11-08-2007, 09:12
One thing I have not seen here (i only skimmed, so if I missed it, sorry)
Is the angle of the grip.

My first pair of Leki's had the draight handle grip. They put a cramp in my wrist, gave them away as presents. Bought the same pair with the positive angle (15*) its just enough to keep the hand/wrist/arm inline and feeling much better!

As for the other stuff:
Cork composite
Ti
Anti-shock (but dont really notice it so could be left out)

maxNcathy
11-08-2007, 10:31
My Komperdell Predator poles weigh 250 g each and are tough.
I like the foam handle.

Jaybird
11-08-2007, 10:42
I'm thinking about getting a new pair of trekking poles and would like input from users. I currently have a single pole and have used it for years, heavy compared to todays poles. From what I've learned weight and $$$ seems to be the biggest issue, lighter weight = more $$$........ETC..............................

i use some LEKI Ti poles (as pair).
they ARE expensive, but super liteweight & worth it for your healthy knees to stay that way.:D

good luck with yer hike!

BigCat
11-08-2007, 18:18
I rocked $10 Swiss Gear poles for ~700 miles before one snagged a rock crevice descending Dragon's Tooth snapped under my weight and sent me falling onto the hard unforgiving rocks below.

Someone asked me if at that moment I wished I'd bought Leki's and I though, "Hell no! Then I would have snapped a $100 pole instead of a $10 one.

Good times...