PDA

View Full Version : New to this.

BumpJumper
08-31-2007, 23:18
I tried my friends hammock tent and decided that hammock camping was for me. I dont like the hard ground.
I need some tips and tricks.
Here is some things that I saw that I didnt like when I used hers.
Velcro kept popping open and I fell through once.
My sleeping bag kept bunching up
Should I have used a mattress or something?

FanaticFringer
08-31-2007, 23:43
I'm assuming you tried a Hennessy Hammock. If so you should not be falling out. Never heard of that happening. Once your in the hammock, your weight will kinda automatically seal the velcro slit shut. Make sure it is completely sealed with your hands.
Most dont sleep zipped up in their sleeping bags in a hammock. Use it as a top quilt since you will be crushing the bottom of the insulation and getting little to no insulation from it. Much, much easier to use it quilt style.
Your bottom insulation will depend on the expected temperatures. You will need some insulation in temps ranging as high as 65-75. Hard to believe but true. Especially if there is a good breeze flowing. The Wal mart 3/8 inch thick blue CCF pad is pretty popular. Cut off about 6" triangles on all 4 corners to allow it to fit in the hammock environment better. Some do use inflatable matresses but I have no experience with them. If you hav'nt already, come check us out at www.hammockforums.net
I would suggest going to Just Jeffs site first as his Hammock Camping section is a really wonderful learning ground for a beginner.www.tothewoods.net

I tried my friends hammock tent and decided that hammock camping was for me. I dont like the hard ground.
I need some tips and tricks.
Here is some things that I saw that I didnt like when I used hers.
My sleeping bag kept bunching up
Should I have used a mattress or something?

Cuffs
09-01-2007, 10:22
Bump, go over to hammockforums.net

There more info there than youve ever dreamed of!!

CoyoteWhips
09-01-2007, 13:38

Your feet go at the velcro end.

bigcranky
09-01-2007, 18:09
It sounds like you might have had the foot end of the hammock (where the Velcro is) too low, so you were sliding down that way. This might explain both the falling out (ouch!), and the bunching bag.

When you hang the hammock, try hanging it at a slight angle so the head end is lower than the foot end. This helped me a lot. Before I got that advice, I kept ending up with my feet jammed into the end of the hammock.

BumpJumper
09-01-2007, 19:33
I did have my feet at the correct end.
Ken, I may have had it too low as you say. It seems to me that my head was way higher than my feet were.
I will shoot over to that site now. Thanks.
Oh, were can I go online to research the lightest weight and best hammock for me?

Cuffs
09-01-2007, 21:03
hammockforums will have a listing of all the popular manufacturers...

peter_pan
09-01-2007, 23:29
Bumpjumper,

Welcome.... best education is to read the hammock archives on this site.... then check in with the current issues on Hammockforums.net.

Pan

musicwoman
09-25-2007, 10:40
The Mosquito Traveller--- anyone use this? Pro's /cons?

FanaticFringer
09-25-2007, 17:51

I had one for awhile. Not near as comfortable as my other hammocks. Speer,Hennessy, DIY, Treklight double.

Cannibal
09-25-2007, 19:37
Don't worry BumpJumper, if you haven't figured it out by November I'll me sure to give you some lessons at the Florida Gathering.

dclem22
10-24-2007, 22:32
For any questions related to the Clark Jungle Hammocks try the yahoo group at Clark-Hammocks. Small but steady growing group of clark enthusiasts.
Hope that helps.

take-a-knee
10-24-2007, 23:26
There's plenty of hammock stuff at SGT Rocks' HikingHQ, that is what got me started.

Doctari
10-25-2007, 09:32

If it's the one by Bayer: I agree with Fringer. This is a good(ish) starter hammock, but: it stretches FOREVER, the cords tangle, the cords stretch, it's difficult to get the right sag in so you can lay diag., once you get the right sag, the hammock stretches.

It's a good hammock for the price, but you get what you pay for.

SGT Rock
10-25-2007, 09:52
Hammock Camping 101: http://hikinghq.net/hammock/hammock.html

cavedive2
10-25-2007, 10:22
I can not think of anything eles to use other than my clark it has done so well in cold weather 30F so far and I have been in driving rain with 20-30 mph wind the last two night its rained hard I mean hard we had 2 1/2 monday night another 1 inch last night and it's raining tonight and temps are suppose to be down around 40F tonight. I think that I have had mine almost two weeks now and have slept one night in the house since I have got it.

My girlfreind thinks I have lost my mind I have spent 4 nights away from the house and the rest of the time has been in the back yard. I have only used a cheap Sam's Club sleeping bag and if i was guessing it would be somewhere around a 40 F to 50 F bag and underarmer boxer underwear every night so far. Last weekend I slept with bug sheild only and it held in enough heat that I had to open it around 2am after the bugs had went to sleep I have not slept a night in it with bug sheild and weather sheild zipped up yet.

I have a XL rain fly that at first I did'nt think was going to be big enough and really thought about buying a Cat Cut Tarp of somekind but after last weekend I think it will work just fine even for cooking under in the rain.
I am still going to but a MacCat tarp for my son's hammock but for my Clark I am fine with the XL Maybe next year I will get my son a Clark North American for his birthday but until then he can still use his hammock and a cat tarp.

Like some have posted already they pricey but well worth it with the extra pocket's on the bottom and two types of material for the main hammock those mossie have not been able to get me at all.
The weight of it is 3lbs and some odd oz's but that is still less than my two man backpacking tent from kelty even with the four aluminum steaks that I carry for tie out's this past weekend I used all 4 of them part of the day I used just two and tied the other to to tree limbs during the day.

Other poster's here have talked about the two pocket's on the inside they say you can put a pistol in them not that I carry a pistol all the time but I put a 40 cal glock in one the other it would'nt fit in but it is big enought to put head lamp and mp3 player in it and i put a small line across the top of it to hold my glasses or to clip head lamp to so I can read before bed. The real nice thing is it's got handle at the head end that you can hold on too to pull yourself up with if you need too.

I am 6' 3 or 4 feet tall and fit good in it I weigh somewhere around 240 to 250and it hold's me just fine. Someone metioned something about useing a coat hanger to use like a small spreader bar to hold bug screen open a bit more and I have done that as well it work's out great and i just put it in my pack along with the hammock the ENO slapstraps and beaners all in the stuff sac that comes with it. it takes about 3 minutes to set up and I could do if faster if I really want too but in general I can do it in about 3 minutes every time. I have put it up and taken it down some 20 times now and even put the rain fly up first to do it in the rain to keep me dry while setting the rest of it up.

I can not wait to see colder weather down in the teens or lower because I truely think that I can get by with just a good 0 degree bag and that is it no pad's no stuff in the pocket which is what they say you can do with the six pocket under the hammock. But if I cant I always have the pockets to stuff to keep warm.
It is a side loader/top loader from eighter side which I like I like to have options and this hammock affords many.
So if you can get past the priceyness ( is that a word ):confused: I think anyone who would buy one with in the limits of the hammock would be really happy with what they got and if you are not you can return it in a set time not really sure about how long they will let you try it but you can return it.

I spoke to Gary Clark the owner several time's before I bought mine looked on this forum to see what people where talking about called 3 other hammock manufacter before I made my purchase.
I am not by any means and expert on hammocks this is the first 4 season hammock I have bought but I can with out a doubt say it is the finest hammock I have ever seen. I have seen and layed in several of the others out there and they wont even compete with it.
Just my .5 cents worth and hope whom ever buys one the best of luck and likes there as much as I do mine.