PDA

View Full Version : Chunky Gal Trail

Ron Haven
09-01-2007, 01:54
Just north of Muskrat Creek Shelter about a mile Chunky Gal trail turns left if you are headed north bound.It is 5.5 miles down hill and a rough old trail to US 64 in Clay County,NC west of Franklin about 17 miles.

Many stories I tell about these parts to hikers from old legends I have heard from child hood of Shooting Creek,the whiskey fueds and the revenuers,their religion and lifestyle.Although it is stories that are sad,funny,true and I am sure some has been exaturated thru the years.

One of the most interesting is the story of the revenuer who was looking to get some quick job ranks by snooping out some whiskey stills of some of the more famous moonshiners in these parts and what happened when he got caught.

There was a song made and I finally got a hold of the words as I promised some of you I would one day if possible.Click on this link for the words to the song.Cross eyed Sal from the Chunky Gal as an old timer told them to me who was raised in them parts.Maybe you have heard the story also.

http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=867#post867

:banana

Jack Tarlin
09-01-2007, 15:46
Interesting post, Ron, but maybe you can shed some light on where and how this Trail got its name, which is unusual to say the least. I've heard several different stories and I'm not sure I believe any of 'em.

Rain Man
09-01-2007, 17:08
From "Appalachian Trail Names - Origins of Place Names Along the AT" by David Edwin Lillard, past president of the American Hiking Society:

"Chunky Gal Mountain & Chunky Gal Trail, NC - One legend tells of a chubby Cherokee maiden who left her family to be with her lover of another tribe. Other researchers say a more likely origin is that Chunky Gal is the anglicized form of an unknown Cherokee word."

I might note that being anorexic was not always the angelized (pun intended) feminine shape that it is today. Perhaps having some "substance" was appreciated in native American societies? What strikes us as perhaps an insult might instead have been praise.

Lillard's book is of erractic scholarship, for what that's worth.

Rain:sunMan

Ron Haven
09-01-2007, 22:45
Interesting post, Ron, but maybe you can shed some light on where and how this Trail got its name, which is unusual to say the least. I've heard several different stories and I'm not sure I believe any of 'em.Don't take none of this to the bank but as a child growing up in Franklin I learned a lot of old stories and knew a lot about that area.

In Shooting Creek to the west of Bly Gap and the view you are looking down on from Ravin Rock.There was 3 ways of making a living.Farming those really rough acres,preaching the gospel,or making and selling moonshine.Many were known to do all 3.

There was a lot of things went on there according to my ancestors as of what would be considered today as a cult.They would go to to towns down in Ga and SC and find a country church with lots of cars out front on Sunday and dump out 3 winos and they would go up to the pastor as church was letting out declairing someone stold their car about a hundred miles south and they were trying to get back home from Kentucky.

They were in need of some work for a week or so to get money to get home and they would not except hand out.At this time they would sleep in barns or outside.One character would be blind with a white stick and red at the bottom,another cripled and on crutches,and one named Oliver he was ok.So they went to church for a few services and wrote down peoples name who were terminatly sick and called back home on a pay phone when they would run errands and tell this preacher moonshine farmer back home the names and ailement.

Following Sunday they would show up tell the reverend that god sent them there to heal folks this day and didn't want to wind up like Jonah did in the belly of a whale for not obeying Gods commands.

No one in the congregation knew these strange prechers but the did know Mrs Johnson was dying with cancer and mr Smith was dying with a bad heart.They would proceed to heal them if they believed and would kick the crutches out from under Jess and he would start walking.

At this time they would makean announcement that god showed him just then to have a week revivel for a week.When they went back home the would rip those poor uneducated victims out of 3 to 4 thousand dollars back then.

During this time was the others who made the shine.Ths song was very close to the story of how it got its name.In early 1900s on old 64 at the top of the mountain just north east of Shooting Creek was the mountain which today is the Chunky Gal.Many families were making that sour mash.At this time there was worms killing all the chestnut trees.

The forest service dozed lots of old logging roads in those mountains including what we know today as Musrat Creek,Deep Gap,Bly Gap,Park Ridge,Kimsey creek and many more to get those chestnut trees out for logs.Any who has hikes the Chunky Gal trail knows how rough and steep it is.Remember that old logging road bed you keep crossing that finally turns down on toward Water Oak Stamp.Lots of moonshiners used these roads and if they got caught the still would be on government land.

The story of a shotgun wedding was made when this 300+ pound cross eyed woman named Sally married the revenue man from Atlanta on top of this mountain.
At this time it was named the Chunky Gal.

I heard also the story of the indians named it in the language mountain wide like a fat woman which was translated to its present day name.

Sorry Jack.it was like you ask what time was it and I told you how a watch was made.

This moonshining,preaching,and farming was real.I remember that part.If they don't Kick me out of here maybe I'll tell about the hillbillie from over there with 18 kids taking all of them to the circus.Or the first time they ever saw a black man they rushed him to the hospital.

Big Oz
09-02-2007, 14:00
Don't take none of this to the bank but as a child growing up in Franklin I learned a lot of old stories and knew a lot about that area.

In Shooting Creek to the west of Bly Gap and the view you are looking down on from Ravin Rock.There was 3 ways of making a living.Farming those really rough acres,preaching the gospel,or making and selling moonshine.Many were known to do all 3.

There was a lot of things went on there according to my ancestors as of what would be considered today as a cult.They would go to to towns down in Ga and SC and find a country church with lots of cars out front on Sunday and dump out 3 winos and they would go up to the pastor as church was letting out declairing someone stold their car about a hundred miles south and they were trying to get back home from Kentucky.

They were in need of some work for a week or so to get money to get home and they would not except hand out.At this time they would sleep in barns or outside.One character would be blind with a white stick and red at the bottom,another cripled and on crutches,and one named Oliver he was ok.So they went to church for a few services and wrote down peoples name who were terminatly sick and called back home on a pay phone when they would run errands and tell this preacher moonshine farmer back home the names and ailement.

Following Sunday they would show up tell the reverend that god sent them there to heal folks this day and didn't want to wind up like Jonah did in the belly of a whale for not obeying Gods commands.

No one in the congregation knew these strange prechers but the did know Mrs Johnson was dying with cancer and mr Smith was dying with a bad heart.They would proceed to heal them if they believed and would kick the crutches out from under Jess and he would start walking.

At this time they would makean announcement that god showed him just then to have a week revivel for a week.When they went back home the would rip those poor uneducated victims out of 3 to 4 thousand dollars back then.

During this time was the others who made the shine.Ths song was very close to the story of how it got its name.In early 1900s on old 64 at the top of the mountain just north east of Shooting Creek was the mountain which today is the Chunky Gal.Many families were making that sour mash.At this time there was worms killing all the chestnut trees.

The forest service dozed lots of old logging roads in those mountains including what we know today as Musrat Creek,Deep Gap,Bly Gap,Park Ridge,Kimsey creek and many more to get those chestnut trees out for logs.Any who has hikes the Chunky Gal trail knows how rough and steep it is.Remember that old logging road bed you keep crossing that finally turns down on toward Water Oak Stamp.Lots of moonshiners used these roads and if they got caught the still would be on government land.

The story of a shotgun wedding was made when this 300+ pound cross eyed woman named Sally married the revenue man from Atlanta on top of this mountain.
At this time it was named the Chunky Gal.

I heard also the story of the indians named it in the language mountain wide like a fat woman which was translated to its present day name.

Sorry Jack.it was like you ask what time was it and I told you how a watch was made.

This moonshining,preaching,and farming was real.I remember that part.If they don't Kick me out of here maybe I'll tell about the hillbillie from over there with 18 kids taking all of them to the circus.Or the first time they ever saw a black man they rushed him to the hospital.18 kids:eek: did this man ever leave home.

chiefdaddy
09-04-2007, 10:05
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/3/6/8/9/IMG_2209_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=18570&c=508)

Chief was there lol

Gray Blazer
09-04-2007, 10:41
I know the locals call Wayah Bald Warrior Bald. Is there a story behind that?

Ron Haven
09-04-2007, 22:49
I know the locals call Wayah Bald Warrior Bald. Is there a story behind that?If any of you that speak another language you relize it is very hard to say words perfect unless you first learn to change the dilect away from english.

The Cherokee Tribal is a very difficult language to speak.Lots of the ancestors in these parts couldn't read or write.When they heard the tribal language spoken the would get as close as they could and go from there.Their children passed this on down.

For instance;Worrior is close to Wayah in tribal is wahya meaning wolf, nantahala is pronounced as nintie hallie meaning land of the noon day sun.
Yawna is a bear and locals say yawners,sogwilli is a horse,locals say sock willy,chunky gal mtn is ; dunvidi-un-e-ga ayda ulitsohidv. there is no telling how they pronounce it.

There are tall tales told about the hillbillies.Most of them are very friendly and very free hearted but they can tickle you pink with some of their ways.

This ancester was at the feed store and everyone was talking about taking taking there kids to the circus to see this animal that was crossed with a midget and a dog.It came out with 4 arms and 4 hands and a tail.It swings thru the trees.It is called a monkey.

There will be this orange and black stripped cat that is big enough to eat a human.It's called a tiger.

They are even going to have this animal that is 5 times bigger than the biggest bull that you ever saw.Its skin is gray and all wrinkled.Its ears is as big as 2 pillow cases blowing in the wind and has a tail at both ends.It is the biggest elephant on earth.

Everybodies eyes were bugged out wanting to know when all this was going to take place?They all wanted to see the biggest elephant on earth.

One of those men had 18 kids.He ask"how much does it cost to see all this including that biggest elaphant on earth if you got 18 kids and a wife"?The
feed store man said its a dime each.

Friday went waddling up to the ticket booth with his wife and kids and wanted to buy 20 tickets and they all wanted to see all these exotic animals,especially the biggest elephant on earth.

The ticket master ask how many is under 12? Friday replied 10.He said this will be $2.50 for all.Friday said"the man that runs the feed store said tickets are a dime".That is right for all under 12 but those over 12 it is 15 cents . I don't have but 2 dollars said Friday.

The ticket man said is all those kids yours,I mean you are the real dad of all these kids?Friday replied"yes everyone of them:.The ticket master said ok.Give me the 2 dollars and everyone sit where you can except you sir.I want you to stand over there beside that gate where the will bring in the biggest elephant on this earth.I want the elephant to take a look at you.:bse

Skidsteer
09-04-2007, 23:02
You're an original piece of work, Ron. :D

Keep telling those stories friend. Gotta keep them alive.

Ron Haven
09-05-2007, 23:43
You're an original piece of work, Ron. :D

Keep telling those stories friend. Gotta keep them alive.Skid do you think I need a straight jacket? Sounds like you had a good weekend hike over there.I hiked it in June.

STMan
02-21-2008, 09:23
Ron: Enjoyed the ride from Franklin to Dahlonega. Can you tell me the name of the singer (Woltroop??) fo the Chunky Gal Trail song?

Lone Wolf
02-21-2008, 09:29
Les Waldroop

Terry7
02-21-2008, 13:34
I had hurt my knee and was painfully limping down the trail trying to get to Franklin and the clinic that is there. When I came apon the Chunky Gal Trail. It was rugged and covered with bear scat but it save me a lot of pain and got me to the road about 2 days sooner and on into town. All the way down the trail I was thanking that full figured girl.

Monkeyboy
02-25-2008, 22:32
Our Scout Troop hiked past Chunky Gal trail last summer.....

It was pouring down rain, and we stopped at Muskrat for lunch and were wondering if the rain would let up.....it didn't.

When we passed Chunky Gal, sure enough, two EXTREMELY LARGE women came hiking past with one of their sons. They told us they were hiking to Plumorchard to drop off the boy with his father. We told them that they should go back to their car and drive to Dick's Creek for easier hiking. Why they didn't just have the kid's father meet them at Dick's Creek, I don't know.

But like I said, these gals were HUGE......

As soon as they were out of earshot, one of my scouts saddles up next to me and simply states "I guess that trail was aptly named".

God, I almost busted a gut........

Drala Hiker
10-31-2012, 02:42
Probably way off trail bringing up this old thread, but wondered, since Ron knows the area, if he or anyone knows a way up Hightower Bald, which is a mile or so west of Bly Gap. Heard second-hand there is a good view and it's rarely visited since there is no real trail.

Places like Hightower Bald are few and far between. I'm all over visiting remote places untrampled by humans and thinking of how the view looked to Native Americans standing on the same spot.

Thanks in advance!

scooterdogma
10-31-2012, 06:07
Been there, had some fun

Praha4
10-31-2012, 09:49
This thread is another reason I love White Blaze! it's not just about hiking gear and trails, it's folks like Ronnie sharing old stories, tall tales and history from the mountains. Feel ike I'm sitting around a campfire hearing Ronnie tell these stories. Thanks for sharing!