PDA

View Full Version : Original A.T.

Tennessee Viking
09-01-2007, 03:00
Does anyone know or what documenation might have the original routes for the A.T.? I am specifically looking for original routes for Tennessee.

I know that the original trail was routed the entire length of the Iron Mtn ridge, then was moved over to Holston Mtn. I am also looking for all the road routes, and old routes that pre-date the Roan Mtn trek.

Roland
09-01-2007, 08:02
You may want to contact TOF (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=1531). He has responded to similar questions with quotes from an early guidebook.

Tipi Walter
09-01-2007, 08:12
Much of the old AT is still visible especially small resections that now traverse and contour a ridge peak instead of going up and over(pointless ups and downs). In my neck of the woods around Fontana there's an old reminder of the AT at Walker Gap called the Yellow Creek Mountain Trail that used to be the AT and runs past Lookout Rock north to hiway 129/Tapoco and continues up to Deals Gap and into the Smokies towards Gregory Bald. I've backpacked it a couple of times and it's a hellish blowdown mess but you can still see the ancient log steps and switchbacks from 65 years ago.