PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried this thing yet?

Cuffs
09-01-2007, 10:28
http://www.aerovest.com/

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-01-2007, 11:09
I checked one out at an outfitter. I wouldn't hike in this as it does not breath at all, but I would consider carrying it as an emergency item for drastic changes in weather. It doesn't look all that durable to me and I would think other insulation on top of the vest would be necessary to see any real advantage over a space blanket.

damush
09-01-2007, 12:28
looks like some "over- inflated" useless crap to me...

Skidsteer
09-01-2007, 12:32
looks like some "over- inflated" useless crap to me...

I don't know...

Might work to sleep in in cold weather. Like a wearable Thermarest.

zelph
09-01-2007, 13:30
It's for emergency use only, one time use. $15.00 price tag.

Buy one and keep it in your pack if that will make you feel more prepared incase of an emergency.

JAK
09-01-2007, 14:28
It's for emergency use only, one time use. $15.00 price tag.

Buy one and keep it in your pack if that will make you feel more prepared incase of an emergency.And that one time use is when it is sold, which is all it was really intended for.

spittinpigeon
09-01-2007, 17:46
I'll buy a whole bunch, I always have the problem where my torso is freezing cold, and my arms are really hot.
But really, I hate vests.

Cuffs
09-01-2007, 21:04
It was just the funniest darn lookin thing to me... had to share it!

Skidsteer
09-01-2007, 21:31

It's a 'Michelin Man' trail name waitin' to happen. :)

jasonklass
09-02-2007, 22:16
And that one time use is when it is sold, which is all it was really intended for.

That's exactly waht I was thinking JAK. Good call! Seems like just another gimmick. I remember a few years ago when EMS tried selling an inflatable jacket. It bombed and it was on the clearance rack not long after.

Chache
09-11-2007, 16:55
http://www.berkshiresports.org/index.php?ID=airvantage

The Ultimate Jacket

Gore-Tex® AIRVANTAGE™

I love technology. W. L. Gore & Associates, Inc., the makers of Gore-Tex® (that wonderful product that protects you from rain without getting all clammy inside), have designed an equally impressive insulated jacket. It uses an inner air bladder that can be blown up (with your own breath) to provide lots of insulation, totally deflated for no insulation or partially inflated for something in between.

Rain Man
09-11-2007, 17:10
Hey... we could all start fording the Kennebec River if we wore these Mae Wests, couldn't we?!!!

Or.... would that be aqua blazing?!
:D

Could we blow it up with helium, to go "uber ultralight?"

And, in a lightning storm, could we trail a wire off the vest to the ground, to deflect lightning strikes? Hmmmm.

Dang, these warnings sure deflate things--

• Not a flotation device or for use in water.
• Keep away from children. Do not use on children under 3 years of age. Not a toy or plaything.
• Do not wear in electrical or lightening storms or near electric power lines.
• Do not inflate with helium or anything other than air gently added by breath.
• Do not inhale stale air used to inflate the vest.
• Do not wear on skin, always wear cloths under and over the AeroVest™.

A review from BackpackingLight.com--
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/02752.html

As the AeroVest web site itself gives absolutely no geographical contact information, you won't find me buying on from them. That's way too "fly by night" an operation for me. I want REAL contact information, not a cell number and an email address. Sorry.

Rain:sunMan

Mags
09-11-2007, 17:12

I having flashbacks to the the scene in BACK TO THE FUTURE when everyone is asking "Why are you wearing a life preserver?"

http://curellasays.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/marty1.jpg

taildragger
09-12-2007, 08:21
to me it looks like your gonna be walking around in something that sounds like a pringles bag

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-12-2007, 08:41
The Ultimate Jacket

Gore-Tex® AIRVANTAGE™

I love technology. W. L. Gore & Associates, Inc., the makers of Gore-Tex® (that wonderful product that protects you from rain without getting all clammy inside), have designed an equally impressive insulated jacket. It uses an inner air bladder that can be blown up (with your own breath) to provide lots of insulation, totally deflated for no insulation or partially inflated for something in between. Would this item be able to be worn with a backpack? :-?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-12-2007, 08:46
I'm thinking the original vest mentioned would be something out of horror flick - the love child of the Michelin Man and an emergency blanket.

Newb
09-13-2007, 07:33
That looks like it might come in handy if the ship is sinking.

AeroVest
11-26-2007, 14:04
Hi, I'm Larry, and I make and sell the AeroVest.
Thanks for taking the time to comment on the product. I saw this thread and wanted to share some thoughts.

Like many specialty products, AeroVest has a particular and specific purpose which it does really well: compact and light emergency warmth that you can walk in.

It is part of a layering system. It is not high performance technical gear and it is not bullet proof. It does not replace good planning and proper clothing, but it recognizes that all of us have been caught in highly changeable weather and could have used a little extra.

Sure you look goofy when you blow it up, but goofy-warm beats cold and frozen everytime. Imagine how I feel walking around a trade show for 10 hours with it on!

We call it single use because it is really difficult to get the air out again, but it can be done, and is being done by a few fast packers that have emailed me suggesting I package a longer straw or surgical tubing (which we plan to do). BTW, AeroVest is durable and once used can be hung up or stored for a long time, so single use means blowing it up, not how long or how many times you can use it.

We knew we might loose some sales by being upfront about single use, but honesty and sharing information is right, and smart. It's also why we put all the warnings on the product, package and website for people that care. Even with the "not a flotation device" warning I constantly get Kyackers and fishermen telling me it is a great addition to their dry bag.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. You can email aerovest >insert at sign< gmail.com if you have any questions.

Larry

Cuffs
11-26-2007, 14:13
Hi Larry,

I responded to your email.

Thanks!!!