PDA

View Full Version : Mont-Bell winter bag

wrongway_08
09-01-2007, 15:49
I have my summer bag, Mont-Bell 40 degree super stretch. Now I need a winter bag.

Mont-Bell sells them in 15 degree or 25 degree.
I sleep warm so the 15 degree might be too much, I was thinking of going with a 25 degree. Both bags are 800 fill.

The U.L. Alpine Hugger #1, 15 degree bag weighs 2 lb 2 oz.
The SS Down Hugger # 2, 25 degree bag weighs 1lb 12 oz.

With the silk liner, would those of you that have done the hike, think the 25 degree would be okay? Leave time is March 1st, NoBo.

LIhikers
09-01-2007, 16:52
I've recently decided to get their SS Down Hugger #2 as a fall and spring bag. I sleep cold and figure that it should keep me warm enough for anything above freezing. For the few winter trips my wife and I do I may try adding a liner and dressing warmer.

Nearly Normal
09-01-2007, 19:59
[quote=wrongway_08;400143]I have my summer bag, Mont-Bell 40 degree super stretch. Now I need a winter bag.

Mont-Bell sells them in 15 degree or 25 degree.
I sleep warm so the 15 degree might be too much, I was thinking of going with a 25 degree. Both bags are 800 fill.

I'd go with the MB 15 if you tarp or use shelters.
You can always vent a little.
Of course only you know what you need.

Nearly Normal

bigcranky
09-02-2007, 13:19
I guess you ought to define "winter." I sleep very warm, but I use a Western Mountaineering 5-F bag in the winter around here. I usually start using it around Thanksgiving, and go through early March, depending on the weather. It's really nice in, say, mid-December when the temps drop into the single digits or below.

If I were going to be on the Trail in Northern Va., Maryland, or PA in December or January, I'd want a bag rated warmer than 15-F.

bigcranky
09-02-2007, 13:22
Okay, I re-read your post, and you said you are leaving March 1st from Springer. So you really want a cold-weather bag for March and early April in the South.

I've been reasonably happy with my 30-F bag in early March, using a down jacket when it gets chilly at night. As long as you have warm clothing, a dry hat, and warm socks to wear to bed, the 25 ought to be fine for a warm sleeper. (The silk liner won't really add much warmth, in my experience.)

wrongway_08
09-04-2007, 16:48
I pulled my "old" sleeping bag out, MountainHardwear - Crazy Legs, 20 degree, down.
Still new condition. Weight is 2 lb 14.65 oz. Not sure if I want a new bag.

The Mont-Bell 15 degree bag is 2 lb 2 oz and stuffs a little smaller. It cost $340.00. I really do like the current Mont-bell I have.

Not sure if 13oz/smaller stuff size is worth the money.

Maybe if I sell the Mountain Hardwear, put that towards the MB bag.

Then again, I will only be using it for 2 months outta the trip.

What to do, what to do :-? !
I should have never bought that new scale, the weight counting thing is like crack! I had my mind set on the MB bag, then I had to go look at my Crazy Legs bag. Now its like damn - 13 oz, thats 2 shirts and a set of heavy wool socks........ :rolleyes: ...... may as well go bang my head against the wall.