Pages : [1] 2

woodsy
09-02-2007, 09:44
Season started Aug 27. This from Maine IF&W

Bear:
General Hunting Season: August 27, 2007 through November 24, 2007
Hunting With Bait: August 27, 2007 through September 22, 2007
Hunting With Dogs: September 10, 2007 through October 26, 2007
Bag and Possession Limit: One bear may be taken annually, either by hunting or trapping.
*Bear bait may be set out 30 days prior to the start of the bear bear baiting season which would be July 28, 2007.
Note: A bear permit is required in addition to a hunting license to hunt for bear from August 27 through October 26, 2007.

The bear hunt surounds much of the ME AT and conlicts between hikers and hunters have arisen in the past.

Regardless of how you feel about the hunt, please don't interfere with hunters, dogs, baits or anything else regarding the hunt.
Thanks
Woodsy

7Sisters
09-02-2007, 11:19
Thanks for posting this information - even though it's sad to still see hunting going on, it's good to know when its happening

saimyoji
09-02-2007, 11:45
Thanks for posting this information - even though it's sad to still see hunting going on, it's good to know when its happening

I know I'm gonna sound condescending and arrogant here, but I'll try not to. Hunting is one of the largest sources of revenue for wildlands/wildlife preservation. Hunters are the largest group of wildlife stewards today. Hunting, if done according to the rules, is one of, if not the, best ways to control population. Not to mention all the social benefits that are associated with the sport. I applaud the hunters.

Whack 'em and stack 'em.

7Sisters
09-02-2007, 11:58
I think it's one of those debates where you don't stand in the middle, you either agree with it or don't agree with it.

I understand the revenue perspective and some of the other aspects you mention. My fundamental issue is why does another animal need to die. Regarding population control - there is no better popluation control than nature. It will create a better balance far better than humans can. I think where things go out of balance is when we intervene and either build on land or destroy furtile areas.

Left on it's own, nature will rebalance.

PS I didn't hear any arrogance or condescention in your statement and hopefully you don't in mine as I'm not intending that either. :)

saimyoji
09-02-2007, 12:13
I think it's one of those debates where you don't stand in the middle, you either agree with it or don't agree with it.

I understand the revenue perspective and some of the other aspects you mention. My fundamental issue is why does another animal need to die. Regarding population control - there is no better popluation control than nature. It will create a better balance far better than humans can. I think where things go out of balance is when we intervene and either build on land or destroy furtile areas.

PS I didn't hear any arrogance or condescention in your statement and hopefully you don't in mine as I'm not intending that either. :)

I'm glad I didn't offend you, I often do so. The problem with the whole: "Leave nature to its course." argument is that we've already upset the balance of nature. Man has encroached on wildlife habitat so much that it could never return to the state it was once in, and even if it could it would take too damn long, we'd be sure to screw it up even more in the meantime. Our only choice is wildlife management. And this is what the hunters, fishermen, hikers, ATVers etcetc.. (user groups), in conjunction with legislators have to deal with: how do we manage the resources so as to allow the most numbers of people to use the resources in the most number of ways for the longest period of time (hopefully forever). Its a damn hard job, but hands off techniques have proven innefective in the past.

Why does another animal need to die?

For people to eat. Plants are living things too; they die for our food too. If you stop and consider where all your food comes from, something had to die for you to eat.

Of course there are trophy hunters, and sometimes the animal gets away from the hunter and does not become food. Such is the nature of life: risk. But when we consider the size of the population, its no great loss. BTW, natures version of population control usually comes in the form of starvation (and stunting of the population as a whole), disease or roadkill. None of these are pleasant for the animal. Natural causes are actually very low down as to causes of death in the wild, even more so in over-populated areas.

You're right: its a heated debate. One that has been going on for a long time. One that people alot smarter than I have been hashing out and the end result is the same: hunting is beneficial to our current society.

Jack Tarlin
09-02-2007, 12:14
This seems like a good place to remind hikers to wear plenty of blaze orange this time of year.

It amazes me how few A.T. hikers do this; failing to do so is not only lazy, but it's a really good way to get shot.

emerald
09-02-2007, 12:17
I've posted Pennsylvania Game Commission's black bear links page (http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=473&q=150328) several times previously. Those who don't understand the need for hunting black bears should take the time to read this information.

aaroniguana
09-02-2007, 12:19
Hunting, if done according to the rules, is one of, if not the, best ways to control population.

This quoted statement defeated any arrogance or condescention, had there been any. Unfortunately it's also the crux of the problem when hunters and non-hunting conservationists lock horns (pun intended).

Lone Wolf
09-02-2007, 12:20
I know I'm gonna sound condescending and arrogant here, but I'll try not to. Hunting is one of the largest sources of revenue for wildlands/wildlife preservation. Hunters are the largest group of wildlife stewards today. Hunting, if done according to the rules, is one of, if not the, best ways to control population. Not to mention all the social benefits that are associated with the sport. I applaud the hunters.

Whack 'em and stack 'em.

i totally agree. fire up the barbecue!:)

7Sisters
09-02-2007, 12:33
You're right: its a heated debate. One that has been going on for a long time. One that people alot smarter than I have been hashing out and the end result is the same: hunting is beneficial to our current society.

I agree with this quote from your post. For today's culture and our current values hunting is beneficial. To overturn or dissallow it, would be political suicide for anyone who tried it. In the scheme of things wrong with our society, I don't think hunting is that high up.

It's just not something I agree with and is not part of my values. I also don't condemn those that hunt - jsut wish they didn't.

Several of you pointed out the need for Orange blaze. Please make sure you wear orange on your head. I was given an orange hat by a hunter who said he first saw me through his scope as my head was the first part of my body that popped over the rolling terrain. Besides scaring the crap out of me, I gratefully accepted his orange hat and couldn't wait until the following day (Sunday). Orange on the back and chest is also real important. I wear three pieces of orange - head, back of backpack and on chest.

Jack Tarlin
09-02-2007, 12:33
To the anti-hunting poster who commented that "things get out of balance when we build on land and destroy fertile areas...."

Um.....and what did Delaware look like before YOUR dwelling or community was built?

Are you ready to restore the lost balance and tear down YOUR house anytime soon?

No, didn't think so.

Without hunting, untold thousands of wild animals would die of starvation. There are simply too many of them; for example there are more deer in the Eastern United States now than there were during the American Revolution. If I had the choice between slow starvation or a simple bullet to the head, I know what I'd pick. My guess is, so would the deer.

Lone Wolf
09-02-2007, 12:34
Season started Aug 27. This from Maine IF&W

The bear hunt surounds much of the ME AT and conlicts between hikers and hunters have arisen in the past.

Regardless of how you feel about the hunt, please don't interfere with hunters, dogs, baits or anything else regarding the hunt.
Thanks
Woodsy

you shoulda posted this sumbitch in STRAIGHT FORWARD. all the enviro-whackjobs, bunny huggers and PETA pukes are gonna come out of the closet :rolleyes:

emerald
09-02-2007, 12:36
In some A.T. states the bear population is larger than it's been in recent years if not larger than it's ever been.

Doughnut
I don't know if Maine (or what other states) has (have) hunter harassment laws, Please be advised, if a pewrson is legally hunting, and someone else disrupts that hunt, they are in violation of the law, and who wants to remember a hike by a court date??

7Sisters
I've posted Pennsylvania Game Commission's black bear links page (http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=473&q=150328) several times previously. Those who don't understand the need for hunting black bears should take the time to read this information.

Shades of Gray - where specifically does this link address the need for hunting black bear. Didn't see it?

7Sisters
09-02-2007, 12:43
you shoulda posted this sumbitch in STRAIGHT FORWARD. all the enviro-whackjobs, bunny huggers and PETA pukes are gonna come out of the closet :rolleyes:

Would it kill you to be respectful of peoples views? Why do you need to be so aggressive in how you respond to people who don't share the same opinion. This was a nice discussion back and forth. There was give and take and an understanding of the complexity involved.

I just don't see the need for this type of repsonse and would hope you see the damage it has on an open forum where people are encouraged to debate and discuss. That's what WB is supposed to be about isn't it?

Lone Wolf
09-02-2007, 12:46
Would it kill you to be respectful of peoples views? Why do you need to be so aggressive in how you respond to people who don't share the same opinion. This was a nice discussion back and forth. There was give and take and an understanding of the complexity involved.

I just don't see the need for this type of repsonse and would hope you see the damage it has on an open forum where people are encouraged to debate and discuss. That's what WB is supposed to be about isn't it?

i was talking to woodsy. if you're offended or fit the profile, oh well.

emerald
09-02-2007, 12:52
Shades of Gray - where specifically does this link address the need for hunting black bear. Didn't see it?
The information you inquired about is found in the documents linked from the page, not on the page I linked itself. Read them all. It's likely some of the best information on black bears to be found on the web. PCG has long been a leader in black bear research and in educating the general public about what it does.

woodsy
09-02-2007, 12:57

To get this thread back on track, the reason for bringing up the hunt was an attempt to keep the peace between hikers/hunters.
Last year, apparently a hiker removed a radio tracking device from a hunting dog at a shelter and then a newspaper article appeared locally about the incident......bashing hikers.
Hopefully by getting the word out, this sort of negative publicity because of one individual won't appear again.
If you want to discuss the hunting/non hunting ISSUE, start your own thread.

JAK
09-02-2007, 13:04
I don't advocate less hunting. I do advocate less people, but I don't think hunting is the best way to control them. Also, I think this building of megacities is only a temporary solution. :)

7Sisters
09-02-2007, 13:04
In your original post - you mentioned bear baiting. What's used for bear baiting?

Lone Wolf
09-02-2007, 13:06
In your original post - you mentioned bear baiting. What's used for bear baiting?

candy, donuts, molasses, anything sweet. when the bear shows up to eat you whack him

Lone Wolf
09-02-2007, 13:10
candy, donuts, molasses, anything sweet. when the bear shows up to eat you whack him

www.lucky7bearbait.com

JAK
09-02-2007, 13:10
Left over donuts, etc. Not as crazy as it sounds though. There are four ways to hunt Black Bears as I see it. My druthers, in descending order.

1. Drag them out of their dens in winter, then kill them.
2. Bait and shoot them, but without traps.
3. Dogs.
4. Traps.

The first one is not so popular/legal today. I don't see why.
It seems the most traditional and humane and sporting, in my opionion.

saimyoji
09-02-2007, 13:11

Yeah, not much for sport, but great for gittin' y'self a b'ar. Note that you are allowed to condition the bears to your bait station for up to 30 days prior to open season.

Actually, when you think about it, its very similar to commercial marketing techniques. Still August and there were Halloween decorations up in stores. :rolleyes:

woodsy
09-02-2007, 13:18

Sometimes hikers that interfere with the hunt:rolleyes:

JAK
09-02-2007, 13:37
Might be worth mentioning what is considered interference. It's easy to walk into a bait station by mistake. Might piss some people off. Might also be dangerous, but I don't consider it interference. I suggest wearing some hunter orange and sticking to established trails or woods that you are well familiar with, and of course avoiding bait stations if you know where some are or are likely to be.

Here is a map to give you an idea of just how widespread they might be:
http://www.unbf.ca/forestry/centers/cwru/soe/bear1.htm
see Figure 4.

The one on the very bottom of the map (figure 4) appears to be on the Fundy Footpath or at least close to it. I suspect it would not be right on it though, so I would not hesitate at all to use the Fundy Footpath during a Spring or Fall hike. In fact, my daughter and I did that section of the Fundy Footpath on the very last weekend of the Spring hunt.

emerald
09-02-2007, 13:39
Left over donuts, etc. Not as crazy as it sounds though. There are four ways to hunt Black Bears as I see it. My druthers, in descending order.

1. Drag them out of their dens in winter, then kill them.
2. Bait and shoot them, but without traps.
3. Dogs.
4. Traps.

The first one is not so popular/legal today. I don't see why.
It seems the most traditional and humane and sporting, in my opinion.

There are alternatives involving none of the above, but they may be more time consuming for hunters. What's deemed acceptible methodology varies from one state to another and each state regulates the hunt as it determines to be best under the prevailing circumstances.

JAK
09-02-2007, 13:41
It's also a very informative article for better understanding bears and their habits and behaviour, as well as some aspects of bear hunting, though both black bears and black bear hunting vary considerably from one region to another. Here it is again if you want to read the whole thing:
http://www.unbf.ca/forestry/centers/cwru/soe/bear1.htm

Jack Tarlin
09-02-2007, 13:55
The anti-hunting crowd frequently falls back on the "let nature take its course, even if it means starvation..." argument, but what you never hear them mention is that starving deer will eat pretty much anything remotely edible, and a bunch of them can pretty well defoliate the area where they happen to be. What this means is that large areas of forest would be essentially de-nuded of vegetation, flowers, tree bark, you name it, and this damage would have a subsequent negative impact on the entire forest, never mind hurting all sorts of other species of animals that live there. When ant-hunters say "let nature takes its course" they're also condemning all sorts of other animals to die as well as the deer. An over-populated forest filled with starving miserable creatures is not a healthy forest, and the ONLY way to prevent this sort of thing from happening regularly is to permit hunting. Oh, and hunting also results in a disproportionately high ammount of older, slower, less healthy animals being killed, i.e. it helps insure that fitter stronger animals will survive to breed, which is not a bad thing for the deer, either. In short, there are all sorts of positive benefits to hunting, tho the anti-hunting zealots hate to acknowledge this.

JAK
09-02-2007, 14:02
There are alternatives involving none of the above, but they are more time consuming for hunters. What's deemed acceptible methodology varies from one state to another and each state regulates the hunt as it determines to be best under the prevailing circumstances.That's a good point. I can think of some possible alternatives requiring considerable skill, and even more patience. I agree that it should be left up to each province and state. My own bias also is that policy should be driven primarily by ecology, and safety, and even sportsmanship, rather than economics. Of these 'sportsmanship' is the most subjective, and again best left to each province and state, but I would like to see more arguments and debate based on 'sportsmanship' and 'stewardship' and far fewer based 'purely' on economics. Also, my own bias is that I would rather see more hunters that own guns, and fewer gun owners that hunt.

Nearly Normal
09-02-2007, 14:11
Perhaps hikers should pay the same fees as hunting permits. Conservation money would be plentiful.
Also hikers could take the same type "lessons" required by the state for a hunting permit also for a fee.
WE could get the ATF to expand into hiking enforcement.

Nearly Normal

weary
09-02-2007, 14:21
Maine has more bear and in places a higher concentration of bear than any state in the east. Maine also has a minimal bear problem along the trail every where except in Baxter State Park.

Why? Bears are hunted in Maine, except in most of Baxter Park, and thus remain wild animals. They aren't hunted in the Smokies, Shenandoah, and only minimally in New Jersey. As a result bears in most places outside of Maine have become partially domesticated and a nuisance.

Maine's bear problem is mostly in retirement and resort communities and new suburbs where property owners have posted their lands against hunters. In my mind the primary valid argument against a National Park in Maine is the ban on hunting that would result. As humans kill most of the natural predators in the wildlife community, hunting becomes increasingly important.

Having said this, I should probably confess to having once been an avid hunter, but no longer. I still wander through the woods an afternoon or two during deer season, but I spend most of my time exploring the land, not the presence of wildlife, so I rarely have any venison in my freezer any more.

Weary

JAK
09-02-2007, 14:23
Perhaps hikers should pay the same fees as hunting permits. Conservation money would be plentiful. Also hikers could take the same type "lessons" required by the state for a hunting permit also for a fee.
WE could get the ATF to expand into hiking enforcement.

Nearly NormalAre you really suggesting that such laws and regulations and fees have been successful in making people that hunt better outdoorsmen, or making the environment better protected? The problem is we have too many people, too much urban mentality, and the land doesn't vote.

JAK
09-02-2007, 14:32
Maine has more bear and in places a higher concentration of bear than any state in the east. Maine also has a minimal bear problem along the trail every where except in Baxter State Park.

Why? Bears are hunted in Maine, except in most of Baxter Park, and thus remain wild animals. The aren't hunted in the Smokies, Shenandoah, and only minimally in New Jersey. As a result bears in most places outside of Maine have become partially domesticated and a nuisance.

Maine's bear problem is mostly in retirement and resort communities and new suburbs where property owners have posted their lands against hunters.

WearyBears are not hunted in Fundy National Park, and yet for some reason they are not much of a nuisance within Fundy National Park. In fact, conservation efforts are focused on increasing the bear population within the park rather than reducing it. But bear hunting does take place just outside of the park, which explains much. Maine and New Brunswick are very similar in terms of both bear population and behaviour and human population and behavior. I think the reason we have more bears and fewer bear problems in places like Maine and New Brunswick is because we have far fewer people relative to the amount of our forests and wetlands. The only real answer to environmental issues in the long term is to have fewer people. Full stop.

emerald
09-02-2007, 14:35
It's unfortunate there are hunters who display unexemplary behavior. It only takes a few to spoil things for everyone. Most are law-abiding people who are genuinely interested in their avocation and wildlife too.

In Pennsylvania there are mandatory hunter safety courses and a program known as Sportsman Policing Our Ranks Together (http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=479&q=152239) to help promote safety and ethical behavior among hunters.

JAK
09-02-2007, 15:14
Another thing that would be great would be more shows like this one. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2foTEwzQ3Q

TJ aka Teej
09-02-2007, 15:43
The anti-hunting crowd frequently falls back on the "let nature take its course, even if it means starvation..."
Want a hunter's opinion? Bear baiting isn't hunting. It's feeding bears sweets for weeks and then shooting them when they show up at your feeding station for more the first day of the hunting season. More like blasting the chick-a-dees off your birdfeeder than hunting. The kill-all-animals crowd frequently falls back on the "hunting is showing kindness" canard when in reality most hunting (in Maine) is in place simply for economic reasons, with "wildlife control" a snickered at excuse.

Jack Tarlin
09-02-2007, 15:56
If you re-read my post, Teej, you'll see that I was talking about deer, but there are still places where there are too many bears. (And by the way I agree with you about baiting the animals. I'm not too thrilled with using dogs, either. Shooting a terrified animal out of a tree isn't called hunting where I'm from).

TJ aka Teej
09-02-2007, 16:01
If you re-read my post, Teej, you'll see that I was talking about deer, but there are still places where there are too many bears. (And by the way I agree with you about baiting the animals. I'm not too thrilled with using dogs, either. Shooting a terrified animal out of a tree isn't called hunting where I'm from).
Yup, you were talking specically about deer. I apologize, Jack - bear baiting was in my head and it ran out onto the keyboard.

emerald
09-02-2007, 16:20
Another thing that would be great would be more shows like this one. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2foTEwzQ3Q

If everyone would turn off their TVs and do something instead of watching other people pretend to do something, the world would be a better place.:rolleyes:

aaroniguana
09-02-2007, 16:28
If everyone would turn off their TVs and do something instead of watching other people pretend to do something, the world would be a better place.:rolleyes:

Can I get an amen?

JAK
09-02-2007, 16:32
Again strong personal bias here, but its not so much the tree stand I have an issue with, but that these guides seem to do pretty much everything including nursing both bear cubs and hunters from their own teats. Perhaps if we did let these bears increase and run amok somewhat more naturally we might eventually be forced to come up with a better class of bear hunter.

I say in places like Maine and New Brunswick get rid of the Spring Hunt and Fall Hunt, and bring back a traditional hunt where you go in on snow shoes, look for 'smoke' coming up through the snow, then drag 'em out of their dens and then kill them. The natives used to tell which dens were mothers with cubs by how much smoke was coming up through the snow, in order to avoid them. The belief was that if they didn't drag them out first it might be years before the dens would be re-occupied, because of the smell of death.

It does seems wrong to me that the bear hunt is perhaps the easiest hunts, instead of one the most difficult. I don't care how much or how little it cost.

JAK
09-02-2007, 16:37
If everyone would turn off their TVs and do something instead of watching other people pretend to do something, the world would be a better place.:rolleyes:Well it seems to me that if we still had people growing up with shows like that on television, and only one channel to chose from, and only 6 teams on the NHL, then we might have more of those sort of people. If you had watched the show when it was on you might understand.

JAK
09-02-2007, 16:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1RrncVgLFY&mode=related&search=

JAK
09-02-2007, 17:24
Wasn't meant to be an anti-American. Just saying if it came to dropping the gloves and both teams paired off, Junior Ranger Kathy would have whipped Theodore "Beaver" Cleaver's butt. :D

rickb
09-02-2007, 17:38
Deer shot by a hunter suffer far, far less than the steer that was killed to provide most of us with the burgers we grilled this weekend (though buying meat from a local ranch or at Whole Foods helps a bit).

But does any thinking person here really respect the New Yorker that shoots a bear over a pile of stale donuts up in Maine?

I sure don't.

It all about the money, and some seriously misguided "sportsmen".

woodsy
09-02-2007, 18:47
the reason for bringing up the hunt was an attempt to keep the peace between hikers/hunters.
Heck we can't even keep the peace amongst ourselves, lol.
BTW, the annual New Hampshire bear hunt started Saturday, they use guns and dogs too so don't be shy about pickin on our southwestern neighbors, lol.
And if you've ever been off the trail in Maine into the wilds you would know
why bait is used in the hunt. Nobody ever claimed sportsmanship was involved.
And if some of you weren't complaining about the hunt you'd be complaining about running into bears around every turn in the trail!

Lone Wolf
09-02-2007, 19:20
killing a baby via abortion is much more cooler than shooting a bear

taildragger
09-02-2007, 19:21
Regarding population control - there is no better popluation control than nature. It will create a better balance far better than humans can. I think where things go out of balance is when we intervene and either build on land or destroy furtile areas.

I want to know when humans quit being part of the natural food chain? I rarely eat cattle anymore, or commercially caught fish. My bow and my 'ot 6 get me most of my meat for the year, my rods will take care of my fish wants.

My family lived in the backwoods and subsisted when they came over, part of my lineage is Cherokee as well, my bloodline has been part of the food chain in the wilderness for longer than most have been in this country, and since the cougar and brown bear are gone, I will try to pick up some of their slack to curb overpopulation.

BTW, some of us hunters donate some of our meat to hunter against hunger, at least they do if you kill as many deer per year as I do (a hat trick is a normal season)

emerald
09-02-2007, 19:22
Just saying if it came to dropping the gloves and both teams paired off, Junior Ranger Kathy would have whipped Theodore "Beaver" Cleaver's butt.:D

Have you finished conjuring up imaginary contests amongst imaginary characters up there in the wilds of New Brunswick for now?;)

woodsy, wasn't this thread meant to be about two groups of outdoorsmen and outdoorsy women who frequent the wilds of Maine respecting each other's right to exist and experience the wilds in their own chosen way?

Who's stirring the pot now, besides Wolf?:rolleyes:

woodsy
09-02-2007, 19:38
One good thing about most everyone's differing opinions and fantasizes is that the thread stayed on top most of the day and more people are aware of the the hunt in ME and NH because of it.
Did I say that if you have a friend going hiking in these parts to let em know that the hunt is on?
We really don't need a publicized repeat incident like last year!
Thanks for being good sports(smiling)

emerald
09-02-2007, 19:38
But does any thinking person here really respect the New Yorker that shoots a bear over a pile of stale donuts up in Maine?

I sure don't.

It all about the money, and some seriously misguided "sportsmen".

:-? I respect that New Yorker's right to do what's lawfully permitted by the State of Maine. Anyone who's a legal resident of Maine who doesn't care for the way Maine IF&W manages the bear population is welcome to complain to the appropriate authorities. Hikers should be hiking their own hikes and have no business hunting others' hunts.

saimyoji
09-02-2007, 19:47

Unfortunately you got caught in the crossfire. No one meant you any personal ill-will, merely the locals spouting off. Its good for people to express their opinions, just keep in mind that some posters are arrogant and condescending at times. Being able to state your opinion also means dealing with those that disagree more passionately than you do. :)

Hope you come back.

rickb
09-02-2007, 19:54
"Hikers should be hiking their own hike and have no business hunting someone else's hunt." Agreed. But as American's we can ALL have opinions about it. And share them as each of us sees fit.

JAK
09-02-2007, 19:55
Have you finished conjuring up imaginary contests amongst imaginary characters up there in the wilds of New Brunswick for now?;)Yes. At least until I come up with something as funny. :)

mweinstone
09-02-2007, 19:59
whithout reading anything but the thread title,...my reply is,.. yes, kill barny the purple dinasaur. and no, bearhugs dont make men gay.

woodsy
09-02-2007, 20:09
wilds of New Brunswick
The only thing wild about that place is the women.

weary
09-02-2007, 20:30
:-? I respect that New Yorker's right to do what's lawfully permitted by the State of Maine. Anyone who's a legal resident of Maine who doesn't care for the way Maine IF&W manages the bear population is welcome to complain to the appropriate authorities. Hikers should be hiking their own hike and have no business hunting someone else's hunt.
Nay. We all have something to say about hunting -- not just hunters. Just as we all have something to say about development, not just developers.

Weary

modiyooch
09-02-2007, 20:33
I rather see the deer hunted in PA for food, then see them along side the highways dead or maimed by the cars.

There certainly are alot of bears in NJ. We saw 9 within 3 days. One was reported walking into a local restaurant.

JAK
09-02-2007, 20:37
The only thing wild about that place is the women.Coming from a Mainer, I'll take that as a compliment brother. :D

emerald
09-02-2007, 20:45
"Hikers should be hiking their own hike and have no business hunting someone else's hunt." Agreed. But as American's we can ALL have opinions about it. And share them as each of us sees fit.

What I'd like to know is when hikers cross the invisible line where they think they're still hiking but have actually begun a hunt for trouble instead? You know, Rick, it's easy to agree, but the devil's in the details.

There's a time for talking and a time for walking! It's important to be able to distinguish between the two.;)

emerald
09-02-2007, 20:55
Nay. We all have something to say about hunting -- not just hunters. Just as we all have something to say about development, not just developers.

Weary

When IF&W proposes a change in bag limits or seasons, do they welcome public comments from non-residents? My question isn't meant to be rhetorical or some kind of retort. I'm asking because I expect you'd have a much better understanding than me as to how much the opinions of non-residents influence wildlife management decisions.

rickb
09-02-2007, 21:23
My guess is that IF&W would probably put little stock in my opinion that it should abolish the Bear Trapping season that began yesterday, given that I live out of state. My guess is that they would probably not listen to Weary's opinion either, given that he lives on a Salt Marsh. So don't worry. Mainers will have the legal right to go on snaring bears for some time to come. Now, if the snowmobilers objected... But as you noted, Weary is probably the best source for this most interesting of questions.

woodsy
09-02-2007, 22:07
My guess is that IF&W would probably put little stock in my opinion that it should abolish the Bear Trapping season that began yesterday, given that I live out of state
I agree. would you want out-o-staters opinions on how to manage anything in your state to have any leverage? I kinda doubt it.
Only residents here in the state get to vote on referendums on issues such as you are referring to. This Bear referundum has come and gone...let it go.

Dr O
09-02-2007, 23:33

Nature's method of population control and balance is strife. That's not exactly optimal for the human condition, or the animals.

saimyoji
09-02-2007, 23:37
Nature's method of population control and balance is strife. That's not exactly optimal for the human condition, or the animals.

Day late and a dollar short. How about something that contributes to something other than your ego? :rolleyes:

Dr O
09-03-2007, 00:04
Day late and a dollar short. How about something that contributes to something other than your ego? :rolleyes:

Too late for what? I'm not a hunter. I don't even know when bear season is, this just happened to be the threat at the top of the list of todays posts.

beeman
09-03-2007, 00:18
Not only that, the adrenalin ruins the taste of the meat!

Lone Wolf
09-03-2007, 07:57
Who's stirring the pot now, besides Wolf?:rolleyes:

ain't stirring nothing. just pointing out the outrage people feel for whacking a few thousand bears vs. the apathy about sucking babies out of the womb. murdering babies is legal and acceptable.

rickb
09-03-2007, 08:21
I find it remarkable that men who know (and I choose that word carefully) that babies are being killed in their communitites don't rise up and do something about it. As one who doesn't believe that such murder is happening around me, I am happy not to be faced with this dilema.

As for how people think about the practice of snaring bears with a thin cable, you might look at this as not so much getting on a moral high-horse, but rather along the lines of "leave-no-trace". Or just not suffering unethical sportsmen, and unwarrented cruelty easily.

Or simply wanting to see more bear on a hike. How many you seen lately?

JAK
09-03-2007, 08:38
ain't stirring nothing. just pointing out the outrage people feel for whacking a few thousand bears vs. the apathy about sucking babies out of the womb. murdering babies is legal and acceptable.It is rather odd that we claim that hunting is to control the bear population, and we generally refuse to control human population; yet we institutionalize the targeting of certain human fetuses, but not bear fetuses.

My point is not that human abortion is an argument for overlooking how hunters hunt. In fact, if anything it is an indication that we should be more vigilant about the way we hunt. Same with the way we raise and slaughter livestock. Again, it is an indication that we should be more vigilant about the way we hunt. Besides which, are we really hunting these bears in most cases, or are we farming them, just like everything else?

Sure we a part of the food chain, but that doesn't make everything OK. There are right ways and wrong ways. If we don't respect and uphold the proper dignity of these animals, according to each animal and whether they be wild animals, farm animals, or whatever, then we have no dignity ourselves. Sure this is highly subjective, but I am getting rather sick of the economic arguments, and other lower forms of rhetoric. In my own opinion it is this simple. Bears are our symbol of strength. We are only as strong as our bears. If bear hunting is made too easy, then it is just plain wrong. We might as well just turn Ktaadn into another ski hill, or garbage dump.

JAK
09-03-2007, 08:41
The natives didn't avoid climbing Ktaadn because the couldn't.
When you really think about it, it was out self respect.

Lone Wolf
09-03-2007, 08:42
We might as well just turn Ktaadn into another ski hill, or garbage dump.

cool. or a driving range. i carried a driver and a couple of balls up one year. hit towards millinocket

woodsy
09-03-2007, 09:23
Too late for what? I'm not a hunter. I don't even know when bear season is, this just happened to be the threat at the top of the list of todays posts.
If you read the 1st post in the thread you will see when the Maine season
is.:rolleyes:

Dr O
09-03-2007, 09:30
If you read the 1st post in the thread you will see when the Maine season
is.:rolleyes:

That's usefull information for someone that doesn't hunt, I guess...;)

woodsy
09-03-2007, 09:34
That's usefull information for someone that doesn't hunt, I guess...;)
It's suppose to be a FYI for those hiking in the NH/ME areas;)

JAK
09-03-2007, 09:38
What is par for that course?

Of course I am not saying one shouldn't climb a Mountain, or kill a Black Bear. There has to be better reasons to climb or not to climb, or to kill or not to kill, just because of what happens to be written on a sign, or what one man happens to say to another. I am just a man, so I say listen to the Black Bear. Hear the Mountain speak. But it does seem rather foolish to me, to climb all the way to the top of a Mountain, and not see the other side.

Even a fool speaks in riddles, but still I say anyone can climb Katahdin. That path is well worn and not so steep. But to climb Ktaadn each must find it. To do that, first find Fear.

Nearly Normal
09-03-2007, 09:41
Are you really suggesting that such laws and regulations and fees have been successful in making people that hunt better outdoorsmen, or making the environment better protected? The problem is we have too many people, too much urban mentality, and the land doesn't vote.

Yes, in some cases. Ducks unlimited is a good example. They preserve and have reclaimed wetlands and educate hunters which make better outdoorsmen. Just like this site and others help educate hikers.

Oh, by the way, my first post was meant as humor. Dry, but humor.

I can see where you might not find it humorous. Out west I believe there are limits on use in some popular hiking areas. As hiking is one of the fastest growing outdoor activity you might get turned away from Springer one day.
(Ops, hiker limits have been met for today, make an appointment).

As far as better protection for our environment and just about everything else the government involves itself in. Until we reclaim or change our present 2 party system with all its pitfalls it will continue to fail.
Both sides just don't get it. It's not to their interest.

Between tweedle dee and tweedle dum you still get a tweedle.
A self, party, and special interest serving tweedle.

Nearly Normal
Libertarian

JAK
09-03-2007, 09:46
Oh, by the way, my first post was meant as humor. Dry, but humor.Yeah. I did manage to get my head out of the clouds to notice your tongue in cheek for just a moment, but then I promptly stuck my head back up somewhere else. ;)

Lone Wolf
09-03-2007, 09:49
What is par for that course?

Of course I am not saying one shouldn't climb a Mountain, or kill a Black Bear. There has to be better reasons to climb or not to climb, or to kill or not to kill, just because of what happens to be written on a sign, or what one man happens to say to another. I am just a man, so I say listen to the Black Bear. Hear the Mountain speak. But it does seem rather foolish to me, to climb all the way to the top of a Mountain, and not see the other side.

Even a fool speaks in riddles, but still I say anyone can climb Katahdin. That path is well worn and not so steep. But to climb Ktaadn each must find it. To do that, first find Fear.

oh jesus.:rolleyes:

woodsy
09-03-2007, 09:54
Rick, here's how the vote went down with the anti-hunt crowd backed by the most agressive animal rights group in the country.

With 97% of precincts reporting, here are the results from the Maine bear referendum:

Question 2:

DO YOU WANT TO MAKE IT A CRIME TO HUNT BEARS WITH BAIT, TRAPS, OR DOGS, EXCEPT TO PROTECT PROPERTY, PUBLIC SAFETY OR FOR RESEARCH?

YES 330,365 (47%)

NO 372,783 (53%)
The Maine voters have spoken

HSUS and Its Allies
The Humane Society of the United States is the most aggressive and best-funded national anti-hunting organization, with revenue of $67 million in 2002. HSUS is “strongly opposed to the hunting of any living creature” according to its mission statement. It uses lawsuits, legislation, and ballot measures to ban hunting and trapping, and has been successful in many states. This is the group’s first Maine initiative. HSUS and the Fund for Animals, another radical animal rights group, have provided nearly all of the initial funding for this campaign.

JAK
09-03-2007, 10:08
Economics usually win such referendums. We had a similar vote on lottery terminals. My biggest beef against them is they are a net revenue loss for the province, since the machines themselves are purchased from outside. Of course the debate from lobby groups on both sides had nothing to do with that. So it was beautifully ironic, in a way, that the referendum of the ignorant turned in favour of the tax against the stupid, and we all lost.

Nearly Normal
09-03-2007, 10:16
Special interest groups?
Baaaaaa, Baaaaa, Baaaaa...............all together now.

Nearly Normal

JAK
09-03-2007, 10:25
oh jesus.:rolleyes:You know wolf,
you really could do much better, without the slightest bit more effort.

And ten low words oft creep in one dull line:
While they ring round the same unvaried chimes,
With sure returns of still expected rhymes;
Wher'er you find "the cooling western breeze",
In the next line, it "whispers through the trees";
If crystal streams "with pleasing murmurs creep",
The reader's threatened (not in vain) with "sleep"

Was that so hard?

JAK
09-03-2007, 10:30
So know that we've established what the "L." stands for,
If you want to know what JAK stand for, ASK. :D

JAK
09-03-2007, 10:39
Special interest groups?
Baaaaaa, Baaaaa, Baaaaa...............all together now.

Nearly NormalThe reader's threatened (not in vain) with "sheep". ;)

Lone Wolf
09-03-2007, 10:44
So know that we've established what the "L." stands for,
If you want to know what JAK stand for, ASK. :D

Jerkoff At Keyboard?

JAK
09-03-2007, 10:50
Jerkoff At Keyboard?LOL.
You can still do better, and without much effort.

Nearly Normal
09-03-2007, 11:41
Perhaps HSUS and its Allies will now supply the farmers in Maine with protection devices now needed to protect their crops. (Bears love produce)
Or, perhaps HSUS and its Allies will lobby Congress for tax money for this protection.
I suppose hunting guides and everyone connected with money lost because of hunting bans (hotels, resturants etc...) will also compensated by HSUS and its Allies.
Maybe HSUS and its Allies can train the bears to be good.
Sit Smokey, sit!

Nearly Normal

rickb
09-03-2007, 11:50
Do sportsmen need to bait the bear down south to insure an acceptable harvest, too?

ChimneySpring
09-03-2007, 11:55
It only takes a few to spoil things for everyone. Most are law-abiding people who are genuinely interested in their avocation and wildlife too.

True of hikers as well. Like the ones I hear 1/2 a mile from my house playing music or shrieking/howling like bozos at 9:00 at night. Or maybe the ones who write obscene things in the shelter journals... so much so that I can't allow my son to read them.

Jimmers
09-03-2007, 12:00
Well, I know it's illegal in Pennsylvania. I was under the impression that hunting was supposed to involve some level of skill at stalking and finding your target. Hunting by baiting just seems wrong somehow, unless there are a lot of animals that need to be killed in a short period of time, like when they cull deer herds in city parks.

Lone Wolf
09-03-2007, 12:03
Hunting by baiting just seems wrong somehow,

vaccuming healthy babies from wombs seems wrong too. but baiting and vaccuming are legal

Nearly Normal
09-03-2007, 12:07
Do sportsmen need to bait the bear down south to insure an acceptable harvest, too?

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/regulations.html

Nearly Normal

ChimneySpring
09-03-2007, 12:07
For those who asked about out-of-stater input on game regulations, I'm not aware of any DGIF that provides for that sort of input. In VA, they have gotten pretty good about non-hunter input though, and encourage use of the DGIF website by hikers, birders, etc.

If memory serves, baiting is illegal in VA. As a lifelong hunter, I believe it should also be illegal everywhere. As hunting has become more popluar as a source of media entertainment, I have real reservations about the way many of the shows depict the hunting experience as well. Planting huge food plots and then placing huge elevated blinds in the corners ain't the hunting I grew up with. And don't get me started on the 10 foot fences aorund some of the ranches in Texas.

We see bear every summer in the areas between Rod Hollow and Bear's Den. Personally, I wouldn't have the least bit of interest in hauling one of those things out of the woods. There's also only been a limited season in my county for 2 years now.

Deer on the other hand? Well, around these parts every hunter should shoot 2 doe before even considering taking a buck. We keep them pretty well in check on our property, but there's way too many people who still feed (domesticate) them.

Wear your orange... and don't deviate from the marked trail on the Rollercoaster. There's tons of unmarked private property (that includes logging roads and perceived side trails) that borders the AT through here. The archers will be in the woods late this month, and the firearms season kicks off in early November.

rickb
09-03-2007, 12:08
Most of the bears harvested in Maine are culled by out-of-state sportmen on guided hunts.

With tight vacation schedules and a lot of money at stake, Registed Maine Guides use thier expertise with baiting to increase their clients success rate.

I do think most of the bears harvested with wire snares are taken by locals, however.

emerald
09-03-2007, 12:08
It only takes a few [hunters] to spoil things for everyone. Most are law-abiding people who are genuinely interested in their avocation and wildlife too.

True of hikers as well. Like the ones I hear 1/2 a mile from my house playing music or shrieking/howling like bozos at 9:00 at night. Or maybe the ones who write obscene things in the shelter journals... so much so that I can't allow my son to read them.

:welcome, ChimneySpring! Thanks for noticing. I hope you're not the only reader who did.

The vandals who paint on rocks are perhaps the worst of them all. Pages in shelter registers can be torn out; obscenities painted on rocks are not as easily removed.

JAK
09-03-2007, 12:09
"Nah - calling it your job don't make it right, Boss."
- Cool Hand Luke

Nearly Normal
09-03-2007, 12:53
Deer hunting in the Lowcountry SC is popular. The deer population is such we have the longest season Aug 15 - Jan 1.
Many believe the season and bag limit was set by the auto-insurance lobby.
No limit for the season except 2 per day.
Many hunt in stands over corn piles. Freezer/harvest hunting for sure.
Some of the barrier Islands are so populated that control hunts are needed. Many of these herds are sickly and stunted from over population.
Places like Hilton Head SC are very overrun. Landscapers make a killing there replacing loses from deer.
I've all but given up on keeping a veg garden.
Farmers have a very difficult time with some crops.
I don't know of any remedy that will work for more than a day or two and I've heard them all.

Nearly Normal

JAK
09-03-2007, 12:59
Do Black Bear hibernate, or whatever it is that they do, further south?

JAK
09-03-2007, 13:42
What I am getting at, is why aren't they hunted in their dens?
Is there any place where this method is still practiced?

Jimmers
09-03-2007, 13:51

I don't know of any state where this is legal. It's probably not practiced because of the possible presence of cubs in the den. Plus there's the fact that hunting is supposed to be sporting, and shooting a sleeping animal just isn't terribly sporting. You may as well go fishing with explosives.

Lone Wolf
09-03-2007, 13:53

only injun wannabes like you do that

emerald
09-03-2007, 14:03
It would likely be difficult to distinguish in the field between boars, sows with yearlings, sows that are nursing, etc. Besides, in Pennsylvania, the hunt is over by that time and the population has been reduced by the desired amount.

I gather bears vary in the depth of their "sleep" which isn't deep compared to some other creatures and can vary also according to their nutritional status. Farther south, they may be more readily arroused and apt to wonder about in search of food.

Recently, I read about some of Dr. Gary Alt's experiences involving his research with Pennsylvania's black bears. I learned on more than one occasion, he attempted to tranquilize a denned bear only to have the bear roused by the prick of his hypodermic needle.

Like I said earlier, how bear are hunted should be determined by wildlife biologists based upon local conditions and I believe it to be quite true that it's not possible to make everyone happy in the time frame available.

Pennsylvania has many hunters and despite continued loss of habitat has done much to improve portions of what remains. It's quite possible bear hunting must begin earlier farther north because bears den earlier and it may also be true that other hunting methods and more non-resident hunters are needed to achieve the desired harvest.

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 14:06
I don't know of any state where this is legal. It's probably not practiced because of the possible presence of cubs in the den. Plus there's the fact that hunting is supposed to be sporting, and shooting a sleeping animal just isn't terribly sporting. You may as well go fishing with explosives.

well spoken

aaroniguana
09-03-2007, 14:13
Since we've covered the subject of hunters who don't follow the rules making everyone look bad...

http://www.adn.com/outdoors/story/8796364p-8697579c.html

JAK
09-03-2007, 14:33
only injun wannabes like you do thatDon't talk so loose.

Lone Wolf
09-03-2007, 14:35
Don't talk so loose.

whatcha mean jellybean?

JAK
09-03-2007, 14:40
Since we've covered the subject of hunters who don't follow the rules making everyone look bad...

http://www.adn.com/outdoors/story/8796364p-8697579c.htmlI would like to know how many hunting lodges and guides do pretty much the same. Does 'hunting' as it is practiced in some states and provinces actually reduce the bear population, or increase it?

JAK
09-03-2007, 14:41
whatcha mean jellybean?Pot, meet kettle.

Lone Wolf
09-03-2007, 14:43
Pot, meet kettle.

huh? i ain't claimin' to be an injun hunter.

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 14:44
Pot, meet kettle.

Now that's funny;)

7Sisters
09-03-2007, 14:49
huh? i ain't claimin' to be an injun hunter.

No but you are displaying that your brains, mouth and rear are far too close together!

Again - why are you so caustic negative and add so little positive to conversations?

Lone Wolf
09-03-2007, 14:51
No but you are displaying that your brains, mouth and rear are far too close together!

Again - why are you so caustic negative and add so little positive to conversations?

put me on IGNORE :D it's easy

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 14:52

Also very, very funny. :D

Lone Wolf
09-03-2007, 14:53
Also very, very funny. :D

eveything is funny to you. did you take your anti-depressants today?:banana

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 14:54
Wolf, you should definitely have your own channel here. Like a train wreck, we claim not to like it but we'll watch if we see one.

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 14:56
eveything is funny to you. did you take your anti-depressants today?:banana

Yes I did. High on life and stuff.

Lone Wolf
09-03-2007, 14:56
Wolf, you should definitely have your own channel here. Like a train wreck, we claim not to like it but we'll watch if we see one.

that's why no one IGNORES me.

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 14:58

Exactly. You're posts are a guilty pleasure.

emerald
09-03-2007, 15:08
Does 'hunting' as it is practiced in some states and provinces actually reduce the bear population, or increase it?

Didn't read the article and don't have the time today. Hunting does seem to result in healthier populations and increase fecundity (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/fecundity) from what I've read.

Pennsylvania sows produce litters of 1-5 cubs with 3 being typical according to one of PGC's articles I linked yesterday.

7Sisters
09-03-2007, 15:10
put me on IGNORE :D it's easy

Rather, why don't you take some personal responsibility for your actions and stop creating such a negative environment. It would go a long way to making WB experience a more enjoyable and beneficial one.

Lone Wolf
09-03-2007, 15:13
Rather, why don't you take some personal responsibility for your actions and stop creating such a negative environment. It would go a long way to making WB experience a more enjoyable and beneficial one.

why don't you lighten up, unwad your drawers and don't take life so serious. put me on IGNORE. please.

Roland
09-03-2007, 15:14
Will someone tell me what L. Wolf is saying. He's a prolific contributor to this thread, but on my computer, his posts show-up blank. ;)

Lone Wolf
09-03-2007, 15:17
Will someone tell me what L. Wolf is saying. He's a prolific contributor to this thread, but on my computer, his posts show-up blank. ;)

see sis? do like rollie.

7Sisters
09-03-2007, 15:17
Putting you on ignore doesn't eliminate the impact you create on threads. Wake up and take accountability for youself. It's immature to ask others to "lighten" when you behave as caustically as you do and spread negativity throughout threads.

PS - when you call someone an ingin in a public forum - that's something you need to own and really need to grow up

Roland
09-03-2007, 15:19
Yeah, do like me.

Wait,.....I didn't see that.

JAK
L.Wolf's post are useful, like the forum's own immunity system against trolls, spammers, and in my case, blow hards. We just need to use some anti-hystamine now and then, or as he says, stop scratching.

Lone Wolf
Putting you on ignore doesn't eliminate the impact you create on threads. Wake up and take accountability for youself. It's immature to ask others to "lighten" when you behave as caustically as you do and spread negativity throughout threads.

PS - when you call someone an ingin in a public forum - that's something you need to own and really need to grow up

you're way off topic. you're obsession with me is unhealthy. back to whackin' yogi

saimyoji
09-03-2007, 15:22

You realize that you'll never win. Its always good entertainment when people take wolf's bait. He's very good at baiting. You might say he's a master at it. :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
09-03-2007, 15:23
You realize that you'll never win. Its always good entertainment when people take wolf's bait. He's very good at baiting. You might say he's a master at it. :rolleyes:

i used to work at a hunting lodge in maine. got very good at baitin' the dumb bears

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 15:24

Now That's funny.

Lone Wolf
09-03-2007, 15:25
Now That's funny.

you gots a sense of humor. i like that in a person.:D

JAK
09-03-2007, 15:26
A scanning electron microscope image of a single neutrophil post from L.Wolf(yellow), engulfing anthrax bacteria from JAK (orange).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Neutrophil_with_anthrax_copy.jpg

woodsy
09-03-2007, 15:26
Y'all are doin a good job keeping this thread on top, should not be any hiker/hunter conflicts this season with word getting out like it is.
Now we need to work on hiker/hiker conflicts...keyboard style.LOL

emerald
09-03-2007, 15:28
I have Wolf on selective ignore -- works for me. Most of the time, his comments don't bother me. Other times, when there's nothing going on anyway, I'll engage in banter with him.

I thought we had an engaging discussion and hope we can return to it. Guess I should just check back in later.;)

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 15:29
you gots a sense of humor. i like that in a person.:D

Yeah, but I thought the 'damn yellow blazers' comment was hilarious yet all I heard at the end of it was that spring peepers at night sound.

saimyoji
09-03-2007, 15:29
A scanning electron microscope image of a single neutrophil post from L.Wolf(yellow), engulfing anthrax bacteria from JAK (orange).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Neutrophil_with_anthrax_copy.jpg

Did you just threaten to poison wolf with anthrax? :-?

JAK
09-03-2007, 15:30
i used to work at a hunting lodge in maine. got very good at baitin' the dumb bearsWhere ever you get your kinks,
but not something I would mention in public.

Lone Wolf
09-03-2007, 15:31
Did you just threaten to poison wolf with anthrax? :-?

what he say? i got him on IGNORE

Yahtzee
09-03-2007, 15:32
#1 LW is a really good guy in person.
#2 LW, like millions of others, gets kicks from baiting over the interweb because there are no consequences.

And most importantly, .
#3 LW signed a register in a shelter on the LT, so those wooded structures can't suck all that much.

Still sore from the 4 days on the LT. Any who have the time, the northern section of the LT is amazing. Just don't plan on anymore than 10 miles a day if you want to enjoy it.

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 15:34
I have Wolf on selective ignore -- works for me. Most of the time, his comments don't bother me. Other times, when there's nothing going on anyway, I'll engage in banter with him.

I thought we had an engaging discussion and hope we can return to it.;)

Good point about returning to the discussion. With that said it is funny how many people think Wolf makes them mad, when in reality he's not forcing them to be angry, that's their choice to react that way.
This coming from someone who's skin has historically had the thickness of tissue paper. I think I've graduated to printer paper.:D
And I'm a liberal, I think. . . no wait, yes

JAK
09-03-2007, 15:35
Did you just threaten to poison wolf with anthrax? :-?LOL. No.
It was meant to be a metaphor for his posts attacking others.
See post #129.

"Sir, in my heart, I know I'm funny."
- Lt. Steven Hauk

Lone Wolf
09-03-2007, 15:37
#2 LW, like millions of others, gets kicks from baiting over the interweb because there are no consequences.

#3 LW signed a register in a shelter on the LT, so those wooded structures can't suck all that much.

#2 yes, it's entertaining but i have been confronted and have no problem backing up my mouth
#3 i will hang out at a shelter and leave junk in em' but never sleep in em'

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 15:38

what he say? i got him on IGNORE

Do I sense a chink in the armor?

JAK
09-03-2007, 15:38
Are we back to the point where we all love and support one another. :D

Lone Wolf
09-03-2007, 15:40

yes. now let's civily talk about abortion

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 15:40

NO! I mean yes. . . err . . . maybe

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 15:41

Is it wrong to hijack a thread if it becomes a Wolf love fest?

Lone Wolf
09-03-2007, 15:41

sorry i called you an injun. was better than savage:D

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 15:43

There's two l's in civilly :D

Lone Wolf
this thread was done after post #1. the rest is just BS.

JAK
sorry i called you an injun. was better than savage:DUnless of course you mean a Noble Savage. :D

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 15:44
sorry i called you an injun. was better than savage:D

Hmm. I wonder if he knows the origin of the name Warraghiyagey

JAK
09-03-2007, 15:45
this thread was done after post #1. the rest is just BS.But the thread has been rather effective as forum fly paper.

emerald
09-03-2007, 15:45

bears or humans?

Lone Wolf
09-03-2007, 15:46

fill me in. i'm just a dumb, uneducated hick.

warraghiyagey
this thread was done after post #1. the rest is just BS.

Does that mean we get to keep it.

emerald

I looked it up, but I'd like to read your explanation. Can you explain how to pronounce the name?

JAK
09-03-2007, 15:48
O course I would rather I tell it. :)

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 15:50
fill me in. i'm just a dumb, uneducated hick.

Mohawk indian name give to William Johnson in the early 1700's in Mohawk Valley west of Albany NY. He was an Irishman who was doing the bidding of the English crown at the time, became friends w/ the Mohawks and eventually was made a chief. Dressed and fought as an Indian even when leading British and Iriquois forces against the French. I borrowed the name for the main character in the book I'm writing, hence me trail name.
As succinctly as I can put it. Hick.:D

Lone Wolf
09-03-2007, 15:52
Mohawk indian name give to William Johnson in the early 1700's in Mohawk Valley west of Albany NY. He was an Irishman who was doing the bidding of the English crown at the time, became friends w/ the Mohawks and eventually was made a chief. Dressed and fought as an Indian even when leading British and Iriquois forces against the French. I borrowed the name for the main character in the book I'm writing, hence me trail name.
As succinctly as I can put it. Hick.:D

cool. i googled it too. thanks oh learned one.

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 15:54
I looked it up, but I'd like to read your explanation. Can you explain how to pronounce the name?

War - a - gee - ah - gee. The G's are pronounced with the soft G sound. It makes for interesting reaction on the trail. If I didn't have the connection to the name I'd change it to something easier.

JAK
09-03-2007, 15:56
First I've heard of him also, though when has that ever stopped me. :D

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 15:57
cool. i googled it too. thanks oh learned one.

True story. I was going to go by Lone Wolf until I found out that name was pretty much trailmarked. . . I mean trademarked.

woodsy
War - a - gee - ah - gee. The G's are pronounced with the soft G sound. It makes for interesting reaction on the trail. If I didn't have the connection to the name I'd change it to something easier.

It's Wargy, thats what I call ya when I see the name pop up:cool:

rickb
J. Sheldon Fisher would have been impressed.

JAK
09-03-2007, 15:58
How is the book writing going?

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 15:59
First I've heard of him also, though when has that ever stopped me. :D

Not one of the bigger names in American history. Although it should be a little more widely known. Came across it when I was researching for my book and instantly had my main characters name.

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 16:01
J. Sheldon Fisher would have been impressed.

Well you just made my Jaw drop. I met the man and was at his funeral. Interesting man. Did much for the Senecas and Gonandagon Historical site.

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 16:02
It's Wargy, thats what I call ya when I see the name pop up:cool:

That's exactly what the Dude (Dawn Treader) called me on the trail last year.

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 16:04
How is the book writing going?

Excellent. I should be done by June. It's called The Seventh Fire. Also discovered that through my research. It's an Indian prophecy and when I read it I knew I had my title.
Then on to my next book 'My God America.'

JAK
09-03-2007, 16:07
I'll be sure and watch for it. Any previous titles we should know about?
I just read your profile. Keep hacking. Interesting subjects.

emerald
09-03-2007, 16:07
warraghiyagey, don't know if you've seen my links to Conrad Weiser Homestead (http://www.conradweiserhomestead.org/). You may want to visit someday.

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 16:09
I'll be sure and watch for it. Any previous titles we should know about?
I just read your profile. Keep hacking. Interesting subjects.

Nope, just newspaper and magazine stuff. Thanks:)

JAK
09-03-2007, 16:19
Not near as exciting, but I'm hanging from this fellow's tree.
http://www.gravesfa.org/gen238.htm

So I have a New England link. Native link shows up at 46.
I showed up after 250, my Great Grandmother. Neat lady. Lived to be 98.
Anyhow, nice of the Grave's family to do all that research.

Lone Wolf
09-03-2007, 16:23
i'm 1/13th cherokee

JAK
09-03-2007, 16:24
I read that earlier. Cool.
How did you come up with that odd fraction?

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 16:27
warraghiyagey, don't know if you've seen my links to Conrad Weiser Homestead (http://www.conradweiserhomestead.org/). You may want to visit someday.

So what's your interest in Weiser? He lived a somewhat similar life to William Johnson at the same time and I know they met on more than one occaission.

JAK
09-03-2007, 16:28
1/16th plus 1/64th ?

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 16:34
i'm 1/13th cherokee

Does that mean your ancestors only walked 1/13th of the trail of tears. Section hikers.

Lone Wolf
09-03-2007, 16:35
Does that mean your ancestors only walked 1/13th of the trail of tears. Section hikers.

no they rode in the wagons. yellow blazers

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 16:38
Not near as exciting, but I'm hanging from this fellow's tree.
http://www.gravesfa.org/gen238.htm

So I have a New England link. Native link shows up at 46.
I showed up after 250, my Great Grandmother. Neat lady. Lived to be 98.
Anyhow, nice of the Grave's family to do all that research.

Ever read The Shipping News by Annie Proulx?

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 16:39

Thanks. The spring peepers just stopped chirping.:rolleyes:

emerald
09-03-2007, 16:55
So what's your interest in Weiser? He lived a somewhat similar life to William Johnson at the same time and I know they met on more than one occaission.

I figured the two men must surely have met at some point.

CWH is a place I enjoy visiting not far from where I live. Since it's near the A.T., it's convenient for section hikers to visit too.

There are living history events held there and occasionally Mohawks attend these activities. Shikellamy Boulder and the bronze statue resting upon it at the west end of the mall opposite Conrad Weiser's grave are quite beautiful.

A spring named Pilger Ruh where Conrad Weiser spent the night enroute to Sunbury to visit with Shikellamy is near the A.T. and still used by A.T. hikers today. The English translation of Pilger Ruh is Pilgrim's Rest for those who may not know. I always thought it appropriate that A.T. pilgrims pass this spring and quench their thrists there.

JAK
09-03-2007, 16:56
Ever read The Shipping News by Annie Proulx?Yes I did. Picked it up years ago at the airport in Boston. I was working installing a newspaper advertising system at the time, so I got a real kick out the the discription of the layout of the newspaper in the novel. Years later I got to Newfoundland also. Amazing country. Totally different from the rest of North America.

woodsy
09-03-2007, 17:07

I first learned the origin of the name on a remote pond along the
AT in Maine:-?
Hey, what was the name of that pond Wargy?:D

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 17:13
I first learned the origin of the name on a remote pond along the
AT in Maine:-?
Hey, what was the name of that pond Wargy?:D

For the folks who can put the beauty of the place to the name, it is Pierce Pond. Part of the area of Maine that Woodsy can be found tramping about. Damn, now I want some blueberry pancakes and indian dance by the campfire.:)

Yahtzee
09-03-2007, 17:30
Deleted By Author

JAK
09-03-2007, 18:16
Some AT shelters, at best in winters;
Some sifted snowfalls, still drifted through them;
Some distant memories, at best, forgotten;
Echoes the sounds of one lone hikers haunts,
When far above the pastor's sleep he jaunts.

In an Old Barn
- Charles G. D. Roberts (1860-1943)

Tons upon tons the brown-green fragrant hay
O'erbrims the mows beyond the time-warped eaves,
Up to the rafters where the spider weaves,
Though few flies wander his secluded way.
Through a high chink one lonely golden ray,
Wherein the dust is dancing, slants unstirred.
In the dry hush some rustlings light are heard,
Of winter-hidden mice at furtive play.

Far down, the cattle in their shadowed stalls,
Nose-deep in clover fodder's meadowy scent,
Forget the snows that whelm their pasture streams,
The frost that bites the world beyond their walls.
Warm housed, they dream of summer, well content
In day-long contemplation of their dreams.

emerald
09-03-2007, 18:17
Years later I got to Newfoundland also. Amazing country. Totally different from the rest of North America.

Since this thread's beginning to resemble What axe should I carry?, I'd like to point out there's been a recent addition to the IAT. Anyone hiked on it yet?

I enjoyed reading about Newfoundland in Mountains of the Heart which I recently read again. To read a thread I began today on Mountains of the Heart, go here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27328).

I'll invesitgate whether there's an IAT thread on Newfoundland. I don't think there is one.

There isn't an IAT forum either. Anyone want to talk about the need or lack of one for that subject matter, go here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27336).

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 18:19
Nice work JAK - a dash of peace and serenity

JAK
09-03-2007, 18:29
I have hiked very minute bits of Newfoundland's West Coast. Drove up as far as Port au Choix, a remote place, where people have been scraping their remnants onto the rock for 5000 years or more, as the ice has been scraping them all away. When we were there the sun was shining, and the harbour all jam packed with ice.

JAK
09-03-2007, 18:31
Nice work JAK - a dash of peace and serenityThanks.
Thought it was a nice touch to juxtapose it with the master of pastor. :)

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 18:52
Thanks.
Thought it was a nice touch to juxtapose it with the master of pastor. :)

I'd love to hike Newfoundland.:sun

emerald
09-03-2007, 19:07
Sure is peaceful here. Think we ought to camp?

JAK
09-03-2007, 20:08
Sure is peaceful here. Think we ought to camp?Pitching my poncho tarp here for the night. Cheers all.

chief
09-03-2007, 22:07
Don't think so, LW. That is why you are much friendlier in person. Even if you could whoop every soul you offend with your mouth, you would have to spend all day doing so. Only on the interweb can you get away with being such a fool.

So you hang out in shelters and sign in but don't sleep in them? Well, that sounds like me. Except for saying shelters suck, I say shelter floors are uncomfortable. But of course, you can make an exception for yourself. It's the American way. "Do as I say, not as I do".

And really, if is it necessary to back up your mouth talking about putting foot to dirt and walking amongst trees you have missed the point of hiking. Clearly the pt. for you is you have built up a cache as an AT character and you live off of it.Someone's got a thing for Lone Wolf! Is it jealousy or a crush?

woodsy
09-03-2007, 22:45
deleted due to uselessness

woodsy
09-03-2007, 22:47
deleted, double posted

Toolshed
09-04-2007, 00:49
Well you just made my Jaw drop. I met the man and was at his funeral. Interesting man. Did much for the Senecas and Gonandagon Historical site.

Gonandagon. Now there is a name you don't hear every day. Didn't live to far from it for about 6 years when we were in Honeoye Falls - It was over on Boughton Hill Road near Victor. Used to Bicycle through there. That's cool.
I think we had someone from there do a Presentation at an ADK meeting once back in the early 90's.

Yahtzee
09-04-2007, 01:18
Deleted By Author

JAK
09-04-2007, 03:39
Hey man. Yahtzee was invented by some Canadian couple on their yacht.
They were to lazy to go sailing, but got rich because of it. So you suck. :D

Lone Wolf
09-04-2007, 06:27
Hey Chief, why don't you move to Damascus and become LW's slaveboy. He is an embarassment to the AT community. "I hike therefore I am special". Gimme a break. He's a tired fat old Marine who just got his ass handed to him by the LT. He ain't a hiker no more. Just a trail legend living off a tired reputation.

Hey, why don't we all move to Damascus, grow beards, where some overalls and act all badass. Then we can all be just like LW. Pointless, spineless turds. All words. No real spine.

Shelters suck! HEY EVERYONE LOOK AT ME, IM SOOOOO COOOOOOL. Aren't I? Please someone say I'm cool. Please, I'm LW, nothing without the affection of idiotic newbies who don't know enough to realize LW is done. Just a name.

Poor Chief. I feel sorry for you.

i ain't part of the "AT community", #1 and #2 you are welcome to come visit me in damascus and speak to me in person like this. or will you be at the Gathering? your words show affection. you ARE jealous. lots of love.:)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-04-2007, 06:37
Will someone tell me what L. Wolf is saying. He's a prolific contributor to this thread, but on my computer, his posts show-up blank. ;)I'm having the same good fortune on my screen. :D

woodsy
09-04-2007, 07:10
The bear hunt has turned into a wolf hunt....is baiting legal? Would a 12 pack work?

RockyBob
09-04-2007, 07:22

If they were covered wagons, I guess they slept in shelters. :eek:

emerald
09-04-2007, 07:37
If they were covered wagons, I guess they slept in shelters. :eek:

mobile tent platforms, RB. stop picking on Wolf.:D

JAK
09-04-2007, 07:43
Hey man. Yahtzee was invented by some Canadian couple on their yacht.
They were to lazy to go sailing, but got rich because of it. So you suck. :DSorry about this late night stupid post.
Working on something. Long night. Stupid post.
Just about done my thesis proposal though. yeehah.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-04-2007, 07:43
mobile tent platformsThey had roofs, therefore they were shelters. :D

Lone Wolf
09-04-2007, 07:48
Sorry about this late night stupid post.
Working on something. Long night. Stupid post.
Just about done my thesis proposal though. yeehah.

his post to me was very nice

JAK
09-04-2007, 07:58
Figures it might have been. Couldn't tell. I just know my post was dumb.

Heater
09-04-2007, 08:19

So it's just like trail majic, 'cept you get whacked, right? :D

Lone Wolf
09-04-2007, 08:22
Figures it might have been. Couldn't tell. I just know my post was dumb.

nah. your post was fine. yahtzee's was way out of line

Lone Wolf
09-04-2007, 08:22
So it's just like trail majic, 'cept you get whacked, right? :D

yup. same thing

Heater
09-04-2007, 08:26
killing a baby via abortion is much more cooler than shooting a bear

Not as much of a "gamey" flavor either.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-04-2007, 08:38
nah. your post was fine. yahtzee's was way out of line
time to snip off the snipper's snipper:DEven the great LW can't have it both ways :D

the goat
09-04-2007, 08:47
Even the great LW can't have it both ways :D

can't someone be out of line w/o being censored?:-?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-04-2007, 08:50
can't someone be out of line w/o being censored?:-?Dunno. Guess we will see.

Lone Wolf
09-04-2007, 10:39
Even the great LW can't have it both ways :D

thought you had me on IGNORE? i ain't calling for yahtzee to be snipped. i don't pack up my toys and run off in a huff

Just a Hiker
09-04-2007, 11:01
Hey all! I am not going to really get into this fight, but I will say this....I am going to attend the hiker feed in Monson in two weeks, and I am bringing a huge pot of my moose chili and I am going to slow cook a buffalo roast.....I guess we'll see who the hypocrites are.

Take care,

Just Jim

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-04-2007, 11:09
thought you had me on IGNORE? i ain't calling for yahtzee to be snipped. i don't pack up my toys and run off in a huffWill put you back on ignore. Thought you might have mellowed a bit, but see I was wrong.

Lone Wolf
09-04-2007, 11:12
Will put you back on ignore. Thought you might have mellowed a bit, but see I was wrong.

what's unmellow about my post? seriously?

JAK
09-04-2007, 11:18
"You had me on ignore."
Most people would say "You had me at hello."
But love is like that sometimes. :p

woodsy
09-04-2007, 11:29
Hey all! I am not going to really get into this fight, but I will say this....I am going to attend the hiker feed in Monson in two weeks, and I am bringing a huge pot of my moose chili and I am going to slow cook a buffalo roast.....I guess we'll see who the hypocrites are.

Take care,

Just Jim
Sounds like a hiker feed to me. Moose chili is a favorite of mine.:) Thanks Jim, see ya there hopefully. Do I hear Black Bear BBQ?

Streamweaver
09-04-2007, 11:48
Left on it's own, nature will rebalance

Thats a nice little fantasy but it is not reality! Nature can not rebalance itself! Too many predators have been taken out of the equation and theres just not enough room left for the populations to grow unchecked! Be honest with yourself and ask ,what is more humane, hunters killing a certain number of animals or many more animals dieing of starvation disease and other deaths such as being hit by cars crossing streets in search of food and more room to live?:confused:

Yahtzee
09-04-2007, 12:35
i ain't part of the "AT community", #1 and #2 you are welcome to come visit me in damascus and speak to me in person like this. or will you be at the Gathering? your words show affection. you ARE jealous. lots of love.:)

LW if I met you at the Gathering I would buy you a beer and ask you how ya doin. If kicking my ass makes you feel like more of a man that just shows what a small one you are. And you prove that everyday on this website.

Lone Wolf
09-04-2007, 12:43
LW if I met you at the Gathering I would buy you a beer and ask you how ya doin. If kicking my ass makes you feel like more of a man that just shows what a small one you are. And you prove that everyday on this website.

nobody mentioned "kicking my ass". i just invited you to talk to me in person the way you did in post #203. it's YOU that perceived an ass kicking. now you're calling me a small man. i thought i was a fat, old, worn out Marine or whatever it was you said. you need some anger management . :)

Lone Wolf
09-04-2007, 12:44
nobody mentioned "kicking my ass". i just invited you to talk to me in person the way you did in post #203. it's YOU that perceived an ass kicking. now you're calling me a small man. i thought i was a fat, old, worn out Marine or whatever it was you said. you need some anger management . :)

oh. and what's your take on bear-baiting?:D

Jack Tarlin
09-04-2007, 12:45
Yahtzee:

I'm sure you WOULD buy Wolf a beer. And you probably WOULD get along. There are a lot of folks here at WB who get along great in person but go at it cats and dogs on the Internet.

I think what Wolf was saying is that he doesn't care for people who say wild and outrageous things on the Internet, under a cloak of anonymity, that they would NEVER have the gumption to say to someone's face.

I'm not presuming to speak for Wolf, but a simple rule of thumb on the Internet is this: Don't say anything on an Internet forum that you wouldn't be willing to say to a man's face in person. To do otherwise is more than a little cowardly......it is gutless. So when Wolf says that he doubts you'd speak to him that way at the Gathering or anywhere else, this isn't a threat. It's a simple statement of fact. I really DON'T think you'd take that tone or use that language if you were speaking to him in person.

And for good reason. :-?

Yahtzee
09-04-2007, 12:54

C'mon man. You know your post inferred you would whoop me if I talked to you like that in person. Or you think I wouldn't talk that way. Either way, this middle-aged Army guy is smart enough not to get into a physical fight with a tired fat old Marine. If I thought calling you a spineless turd would unleash your inner idiot, I wouldn't call you that.

You have a real name, family, a lovely girl. I wouldn't go over the line on that person. I go over the line on LW, the character you have created for this website. I know there is a distinction and you do as well when you post but you fail to take note when you read. You say people shouldn't take your posts so seriously. Take your own advice and take mine with a grain.

Spineless turd is timeless. Timeless.:banana

aaroniguana
09-04-2007, 12:55
Nature can not rebalance itself! Too many predators have been taken out of the equation and theres just not enough room left for the populations to grow unchecked!

The main predator has not been taken out of the equation. We've just had our claws clipped by virtue of technology making us soft and weak, our government taking the defensive capability out of our hands and the soft-hearted making us soft-headed.

So now we go into the woods like declawed cats and cry foul when another predator snatches our food bag or our miniature poodle. Bears aren't cute. They're predators.

Pass me some of that moose, eh?

Yahtzee
09-04-2007, 12:59
Jack,

Hope my post clears things up. I have no illwill towards LW, as I have stated, I know him to be a good guy. I would even say warm. But this character he has created on this site is annoying and he plays with it. What can one expect when they put out vibes like that but to get them back?

I guess my post from last night was bit too much. If I could go back I would not have posted.

Jack Tarlin
09-04-2007, 13:01
1. Yahtzee, he WOULD kick the ass of anyone who talked like that in person.
2. To say, aw, you were just kidding, it's just Internet stuff, is indeed kinda
spineless. You might've been kidding, but your wording was a bit strong.
To say that Wolf fails to take note what he reads.....well, seems to me,
you aren't taking note of what you've SAID. You don't haveta worry
about Wolf mis-reading or misinterpreting something you've said if you
simply never say it in the first place!
3. And Wolf says rude annoying things here just about every day, many of
which HE'D never say in public. Not out of fear of having to back them
up, it's just that he doesn't really believe half the stuff he shovels here.
Nor should anyone else.
4. The best way to deal with a comment or poster you don't like is to ignore
them.

Jack Tarlin
09-04-2007, 13:03
Yahtzee:

Our posts crossed.

And of course I see your point.

And Wolf is indeed a crusty, yet pithy, pain in the ass here at WB.

Not that big a deal. :D

chief
09-04-2007, 13:03
Hey Chief, why don't you move to Damascus and become LW's slaveboy. He is an embarassment to the AT community. "I hike therefore I am special". Gimme a break. He's a tired fat old Marine who just got his ass handed to him by the LT. He ain't a hiker no more. Just a trail legend living off a tired reputation.

Hey, why don't we all move to Damascus, grow beards, where some overalls and act all badass. Then we can all be just like LW. Pointless, spineless turds. All words. No real spine.

Shelters suck! HEY EVERYONE LOOK AT ME, IM SOOOOO COOOOOOL. Aren't I? Please someone say I'm cool. Please, I'm LW, nothing without the affection of idiotic newbies who don't know enough to realize LW is done. Just a name.

Poor Chief. I feel sorry for you.Man you're easy!

Lone Wolf
09-04-2007, 13:04
C'mon man. You know your post inferred you would whoop me if I talked to you like that in person. Or you think I wouldn't talk that way. Either way, this middle-aged Army guy is smart enough not to get into a physical fight with a tired fat old Marine. If I thought calling you a spineless turd would unleash your inner idiot, I wouldn't call you that.

You have a real name, family, a lovely girl. I wouldn't go over the line on that person. I go over the line on LW, the character you have created for this website. I know there is a distinction and you do as well when you post but you fail to take note when you read. You say people shouldn't take your posts so seriously. Take your own advice and take mine with a grain.

Spineless turd is timeless. Timeless.:banana

you must have an ass- kickin' wish. i never "inferred" anything honey. do you always pick fights with "tired fat old Marines"? cuz it's you that's wantin' a fight. give peace a chance, cupcake. mellow out. how about those anger management classes.:p
yours truly,
tired old fat Marine turd with no spine

Lone Wolf
09-04-2007, 13:06
Jack,

Hope my post clears things up. I have no illwill towards LW, as I have stated, I know him to be a good guy. I would even say warm. But this character he has created on this site is annoying and he plays with it. What can one expect when they put out vibes like that but to get them back?

I guess my post from last night was bit too much. If I could go back I would not have posted.

become a donating member. you can edit your posts. i joined and cleaned up some of my posts to FD and wookie

Jack Tarlin
09-04-2007, 13:08
How much does one have to donate before they get the right to clean up other people's? :D

Yahtzee
09-04-2007, 13:11
you must have an ass- kickin' wish. i never "inferred" anything honey. do you always pick fights with "tired fat old Marines"? cuz it's you that's wantin' a fight. give peace a chance, cupcake. mellow out. how about those anger management classes.:p
yours truly,
tired old fat Marine turd with no spine

Jesus, there is no good conclusion to this. I did not think tired fat old marine and spineless turd were fightin' words. And I WOULD say them to someone's face because I would be shocked if someone got violent after being called them in the middle of a discussion about hiking. It's an absurd notion to me.

I give. This is Alice in Wonderland, here.

Yahtzee
09-04-2007, 13:13
become a donating member. you can edit your posts. i joined and cleaned up some of my posts to FD and wookie

I am a donating member and I did not think of that. Thank you, I will do that now.

aaroniguana
09-04-2007, 13:13
How much does one have to donate before they get the right to clean up other people's? :D

Have to get a job to afford that. :D

JAK
09-04-2007, 13:17
Jesus, there is no good conclusion to this. I did not think tired fat old marine and spineless turd were fightin' words. And I WOULD say them to someone's face because I would be shocked if someone got violent after being called them in the middle of a discussion about hiking. It's an absurd notion to me.

I give. This is Alice in Wonderland, here.Left on it's own, nature will rebalance. ;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-04-2007, 13:17
what's unmellow about my post? seriously?Well, I see you have mellowed a bit now :D Seriously, you've had a harder edge lately. I miss the teddy bear part of LW that I know is there.

As for running off -- life has to be lived on life's terms. You accept the things you can't change and remove them from your life if they become bothersome enough to justify that. Recognizing an unworkable situation which you are powerless to change and making a decision to move away from an unworkable situation is a whole lot different than running away.

Lone Wolf
09-04-2007, 13:21

Poor Chief. I feel sorry for you.

dude. if you were standing face to face with me and called me those things, i'm gonna get hot under the collar for sure. a man would. maybe you don't understand. course you were army. (sorry Sgt. Rock. no offense :) )

another thing. i've had a beard for 25 years or so, i don't wear overalls, i don't act badass, i don't ask folks to look at me and tell me i'm cool. i forgive the post. you probably wuz drinkin'. it was after midnite

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-04-2007, 13:23
Have to get a job to afford that. :D::: Dino logs into PayPal :D :::

JAK
09-04-2007, 13:29
The thing is, when you are in person, there is body language, there is tone, there are many other subtleties. But over the internet I can only get a sense that there might be some people that don't always think I'm funny.

Midway Sam
09-04-2007, 13:32
another thing. i've had a beard for 25 years or so, i don't wear overalls, i don't act badass, i don't ask folks to look at me and tell me i'm cool.

Hey Wolf, where were you last Wednesday at 9:30am?

http://www.wtvq.com/midatlantic/tvq/news.apx.-content-articles-TVQ-2007-08-30-0008.html

< Midway Sam grins, ducks & runs!>

Lone Wolf
09-04-2007, 13:34
Hey Wolf, where were you last Wednesday at 9:30am?

http://www.wtvq.com/midatlantic/tvq/news.apx.-content-articles-TVQ-2007-08-30-0008.html

< Midway Sam grins, ducks & runs!>

wasn't me. description said 20s, thin build. i'm fat and old i've been told.