PDA

View Full Version : Water NC / GA?

Nearly Normal
09-02-2007, 23:46
Is the water situation in GA/NC any better after the southeast rains this weekend?

Nearly Normal

Doughnut
09-03-2007, 07:37
Not Neel's Gap to Tenestee. It is dry.
It was pouring in Atlanta when I went through there and here in Savannah we are having street flooding, but the mountains were dry.

jodestick
09-03-2007, 19:41
i hiked roan mt. to hwy 19E this weekend. we had no water problems, it was fine!

gold bond
09-04-2007, 12:01
We are doing Deep Gap to the NOC in late Oct....anyone got a perspective on water on that section?

shoe
09-04-2007, 22:42
I'm hiking Winding Stair to NOC this weekend. I can let you know after that

gold bond
09-05-2007, 09:49
Thank You! Have a safe hike and I hope you have a great time. I actually got out this weekend and did a 22 mi kayak trip and camped one night. I really needed that!

Look forward to hearing about your hike.

Midway Sam
09-05-2007, 17:57
I'm heading this way in a couple of weeks. Any updates over the next couple of weeks will be appreciated.

BlackCloud
09-05-2007, 20:09
This past weekend I did an overnight from Winding Stair Gap (US 64), south to Deep Creek Gap (USFS 71). Although everything was wet from the continual fog and humidity, water sources were relatively low.

The only place I filled up was @ Carter Gap shelter. Although low, there was still plenty pooling up to use my filter.

On the trail itself, most of the lesser water crossings were "dry". There were only a few usable sources in my 20+ miles.....

shoe
09-09-2007, 12:40
Well I headed out from Winding Stair Friday. There is water right at the begining of the trail head and then a couple of small trickles that one could get water from right before Panther Gap.

From there until the Wayah Bald shelter this is NO water. Not a trickle.
There is water at Siler Bald shelter. If I hadn't walked the half mile out of the way I would have gotten in bigger trouble than I did.

After I got to Wayah Bald shelter and found no water. I called Ron to come rescue me :) i had run out of water and had started throwing up so I had to walk back up to Wayah Bald so he could come get me.

I do believe the Ron told me there is a water spout behind the bathroooms at the bald but I would double check that fact in case I heard wrong.

My situation may be different from others. I am overweight and do require more water to drink. And I hike alot slower.

gold bond
09-10-2007, 09:09
Thank you MG for that up date. Sure changes the way we were thinking a tad. I guess it is what it is and we will have to make some adjustments unless we get about a week of rain before I start!
Again, thanks and I'm glad you had a safe and a good hike.

iesman69
09-10-2007, 10:17
MG,

My girlfriend and I were in the van with Ron when you called! He'd just picked us up and we were on our way to Franklin. I'm glad he made it to you and that you're okay! We put in at Deep Gap 9/6, walked to Bly Gap then back to Muskrat for the night. Stayed on Standing Indian summit 9/7, and hiked out at Beech Gap Sat. morning. Muskrat had a low flow, but the source at Standing Indian shelter and the summit itself was very slow.

FatMan
09-10-2007, 10:54
Without being overly dramatic and alarming, I can say that the water situation is the worst I have seen in many years. Please plan accordingly. Most commonly used sources are dry with only a few at a trickle. At Grassy Gap / Gooch Gap (Upper Suches Area) we have seen only one day of good rain in the past three weeks so my previous hopes of seeing some relief come Sept has not materialized. I was up at Grassy Gap this weekend and the spring feeding our creek is just a trickle, and I have not seen that spring and our creek at the current low level in the years I have known the area.

You will need to carry quite a bit more water than usual and be sure to fill up, as well as camel up, at all available sources. To add to the seriousness, it remains fairly hot as well. There is water at lower elevations so following trails down will often get you some water so ask all you come across for options, although on Saturday when I was on the trail I did not see a single sole which is very unusual for this time of year in this easily accessed section.

The good news is that we are expecting some rain this week. Lets hope the rains come to fruition.

I am heading back up to Grassy Gap tomorrow and will get some good day hiking in during the next few days. I will report back this weekend with more details.

gkduchon
09-10-2007, 17:50
Water along the Georgia trail continues to be a problem, but is not impossible. We did a 4 day trip starting Sept 7 at Hog Pen ending Sept 10 at Dick's Creek. Many locations that normally have water were dry, but here are locations we found water
Low Gap Shelter had good water.
We camped at Chattahooche Gap with water, but the spring was found a couple minutes walk further downhill than normal
Blue Mountain Shelter had water.
The normally running stream that crosses the trail between Unicoi Gap and Rocky Mountain, only had wet rocks, but we were able to pump water by damming the trickle
The Cheese Factory was dry, but we found a trickle of water immediately below the point were the trail crosses the Tray Mountain Road just downhill from the Cheese Factory.
The Tray Mountain shelter had a slow drip from the iron pipe at the concrete collection box, but we were able to pump water.
The stream below Addis Gap was flowing with a sizeable flow
Deep Gap Shelter was dry.
The stream that crosses the trail about a quarter-mile south of Dick's Creek Gap was pumpable with sufficient flow.
So, water can be found, but camel-up when you find it by topping off your bottles.

karo
09-11-2007, 16:16
How is the water situation near Fontana Lake? I am going to Hazel Creek next weekend. 21-23.

Ewker
09-11-2007, 16:53
the lake is full

scope
09-13-2007, 17:42
I am heading back up to Grassy Gap tomorrow and will get some good day hiking in during the next few days. I will report back this weekend with more details.

I'm heading that way next Thursday. Please let me know the scoop on water from Woody to Amicalola, or whatever info you have in that area.

e-doc
09-26-2007, 13:29
[quote=gkduchon;404577]
The Tray Mountain shelter had a slow drip.....quote]

Like Gonorrhea??:-?

1azarus
09-26-2007, 17:03
Just back from 7 day hike from Troutdale/Dickey gap to 20 miles north of Pearisburg/VA 635. If it doesn't come out of a tap, don't count on water... The Partnership shelter does have water (yeah, right)... the Holston River forks have water... lick creek has water... kimberling creek has water... the pond before Wapiti has water... the spring right on the trail heading north from Pearisburg has water... and the river by Pine Branch Shelter has water. everywhere else, with luck, there were puddles which i can't swear are still there. even the dismal creek branches are mostly dry. Must say, still had a wonderful time!!! Got specific question about a shelter, ask and i'll do my best to remember...

Bahama Dave
09-28-2007, 11:38
9/21 Plumorachard Gap Shelter - Water
9/21 Muskrat Creek Shelter - Water
Beech Gap to Coleman Gap - 2 small streams cross AT
9/22 Carter Gap Shelter - Water behind old shelter
Albert Mountain to Winding Stair Gap - 3-4 small streams cross AT.
9/23 Winding Stair Gap - Water
9/26 Campsite just past Winding Stair Gap - Water
9/26 Burningtown Gap- Just south of gap is a stream with water.
9/26 Cold Spring Shelter - Water in small pool feed by very small flow.
9/27 NOC - Water

Be sure and carry a lot of water from Winding Stair Gap to Burningtown Gap it is a long hot climb up Wayah Bald and down to Burningtown Gap.

Good hiking! Bahama Dave:)

modiyooch
09-28-2007, 20:38
The news today in the NC foothills is that the drought is affecting the foundations of homes. foundation repairs up 150 percent this summer ???!!! I know this isn't the AT and no concern for shelter foundations, but folks, it's dry. At least in my county. I'm 2 hours from the trail.

modiyooch
09-28-2007, 20:39
the lake is full lol, good one.

Bootstrap
09-29-2007, 17:02
Does anybody know the water situation from Hughes Gap to 19E?

I've heard, from a ranger, that someone recently hiked 17 miles on the AT in that area and found NO water. This worries me - we're planning to hike October 12-14th, and if I had to guess, a 17 mile route on the AT in that area is likely to be the same route we're planning on.

Has anybody been on this part of the trail recently?

Jonathan

bessiebreeze
09-30-2007, 18:34
I was on the AT last weekend, Sep. 22 and 23, in that area, from Carver's Gap to Overmountain Shelter.
There is a spring - pretty good - on the AT just past the trail going up to Grassy Ridge.
The water at Overmountain Shelter is a good source.
This is all the first hand info I have. I hear you can go over to some water fountains on top of Roan Mt., near the Roan High Knob.

gold bond
10-01-2007, 15:09
I'm going this weekend starting Sunday at Deep Gap and going to the NOC by wed-thurs. Anyone have info on water in those sections?

Natchez
10-01-2007, 20:33
I will see you I am going south bound with a buddy. I will be the one carrying all the water. lol

CaptChaos
10-01-2007, 20:55
CaptChaos here group:

I know I am a little late in the season but I have made plans to pack to Spence Field and then Russell Field this weekend.

The rangers tell me that both water sources are bone dry at Spence and Russell. Has anyone been thru the area lately to let me know how bad it is.

Will be starting at Cades Cove and going up to Spence and then over to Russell and then back to Cades Cove. My normal water is about a liter in a bag on my back and 2 liter bottles in my pack. I am thinking of taking an extra gallon with me but wondered what you thought about the water sources on my trip.

Let me know if you dont mind.

John "Capt Chaos" Knight
Bowling Green, KY USA:sun

Bootstrap
10-01-2007, 21:56
I was on the AT last weekend, Sep. 22 and 23, in that area, from Carver's Gap to Overmountain Shelter.
There is a spring - pretty good - on the AT just past the trail going up to Grassy Ridge.
The water at Overmountain Shelter is a good source.
This is all the first hand info I have. I hear you can go over to some water fountains on top of Roan Mt., near the Roan High Knob.

Excellent information - thanks! From 19E we can get to Overmountain on the first day. If we can get water there and the other places you mention, we'll be in good shape.

Jonathan

gold bond
10-02-2007, 15:56
Hey Natchez hope to run into you! Maybe a couple of those water bottles will come loose! Have a great and safe hike.

Bootstrap
10-06-2007, 19:33
Here's an update, from 3 sources, on water between Hughes Gap and 19E. I typed this up for my trail notes, thought I'd drop them here too.

Generally even in dry weather one can find water by moving farther down the hill from the normal spring.

Top of Roan still OK - there's a spring 200 yards from parking lot.

Running water at the bathroom at Cloudland, if the road to the top of the mountain is open.

(Roan High Knob shelter is dry.)

Carver's Gap has a spring box at 143, it's good. Also general facilities, bathrooms, etc.

(Stan Murray shelter is dry)

Overmountain Shelter - right at the gravel road, look to your left. Spring is 20 yards along the Overmountain Trail, away from the barn. Good source (3 confirmations).

Bradley Gap is very low.

Nothing else open to 19E.

Jonathan

headonkey
10-08-2007, 07:49
I'm hiking the Art Loeb Trail starting this Sunday. Does anyone have any H2O info for that area? Also, I've heard that the last 3.5 miles has a few creeck crossings. Are these big creeks or can I just rock hop across?

headonkey
10-08-2007, 12:18
Why didn't this post to the new threads?

CaptChaos
10-08-2007, 21:18
Just returned from Cades Cove via Spence Field Shelter this past Saturday, October 6th and the springs are gone. I have done this trip for the past 10 years now and this is the very first time that I have ever seen the spring at Spence Field bone dry. Not a drop coming from the spring. In fact, it looks like someone pulled out the pipe from the spring when I went down to look at it Saturday morning before heading back to Cades Cove.

Going via Bote Mtn trail the spring that is on the right as you decend coming out of the white pvc pipe is dry as well. There was only one place on the Bote Mtn trail where you could have dug a small hole and you might have been able to get enough water to pump with your filter but it was all ground water in the gravel.

Once I left Bote Mtn trail and headed down Anthony Creek trail I passed several places where in the past water flowed and they were dry their is only one place where if I had taken my cook pot and put it under a rock I could have gotten enough water to pump. But water did not come again until I got to the campsite #9 which is next to Anthony Creek and the water flow is very slow but there is water to pump and you could cool off if you wanted to.

I was going to go to Russell Springs after spending the night at Spence Field but after Bkft I filled my two bottles and I would not have had enough water to make it to Russell and then cook dinner before heading back to Cades Cove so I just cut my trip a day short and headed back.

I have some pictures and I will try to upload them sometime this week if anyone is interested.

John "Capt. Chaos" Knight
Bowling Green, KY USA

spunky
10-08-2007, 21:24
So, how is the water conditions starting at Deep Gap and headed north? Wanting to hike Standing Indian and Albert Mtns starting on Wednesday.
Thanks,
Spunky

Roots
10-08-2007, 22:20
So, how is the water conditions starting at Deep Gap and headed north? Wanting to hike Standing Indian and Albert Mtns starting on Wednesday.
Thanks,
Spunky

Check out the thread on NOC to Fontana-water. I posted it yesterday and someone we met at NOC that just came through the south side posted about the water situation from Deep gap on the thread.

Sharkey
10-09-2007, 21:16
I hiked from Dick's Creek Gap to N.O.C. (October 3-8). This is how the water was during my hike.
Plumorchard Gap Shelter- plenty of water(10- 3 and 4)
Muskrat Creek Shelter- very low but able to filter water (10-4)
Standing Indian Shelter- plenty of water (10-4)
(Skipped Carter Gap Shelter but there were several streams before the shelter to get water from) (10-5)
Big Spring Shelter- no water near shelter,had to go down stream about 100 yards to get water. Even there the water was shallow. (10-5)
(several streams crossing the AT between Big Spring and Rock Gap. Plenty of water at these springs.) (10-6)
Siler Bald Shelter- plenty of water flowing from pipe out of the mountain. (10-6)
Cold Spring Shelter- shallow water. slow flow. Also there were several streams crossing the AT before this shelter that had plenty of water. (10-7)
Camp site at mile 124, ample water.(10-7 and 8)
The N.O.C.- Plenty of water. (10-8) :o)

Hope this helps out some.

mal
10-10-2007, 22:29
Wondering if anyone has October 07 information on water at Deep Gap/Standing Indian and Beech Gap in So Nantahala, NC. Hoping to get there this weekend and wondering just how heavily laden I should be with water.
Help?

Summit
10-10-2007, 23:14
I hiked from Dick's Creek Gap to N.O.C. (October 3-8). This is how the water was during my hike.
Plumorchard Gap Shelter- plenty of water(10- 3 and 4)
Muskrat Creek Shelter- very low but able to filter water (10-4)
Standing Indian Shelter- plenty of water (10-4)
(Skipped Carter Gap Shelter but there were several streams before the shelter to get water from) (10-5)
Big Spring Shelter- no water near shelter,had to go down stream about 100 yards to get water. Even there the water was shallow. (10-5)
(several streams crossing the AT between Big Spring and Rock Gap. Plenty of water at these springs.) (10-6)
Siler Bald Shelter- plenty of water flowing from pipe out of the mountain. (10-6)
Cold Spring Shelter- shallow water. slow flow. Also there were several streams crossing the AT before this shelter that had plenty of water. (10-7)
Camp site at mile 124, ample water.(10-7 and 8)
The N.O.C.- Plenty of water. (10-8) :o)

Hope this helps out some.It helps me a lot. I'm doing the same hike starting the 20th of October. Was there any water at Bly gap? Thinking about making that my first camp. ;)

I was there last October as well and it was dry. The hiking club maintenance guy I ran into said it was the first time he had ever seen the spring at Bly Gap dry. :eek:

Sharkey
10-11-2007, 20:30
It helps me a lot. I'm doing the same hike starting the 20th of October. Was there any water at Bly gap? Thinking about making that my first camp. ;)

Summit,
I don't know if there is water at Bly Gap. I had plenty of water at that time and didn't go to the spring. Sorry that I can't help you out there. Hope you have a good hike though.

MacEntyre
10-14-2007, 11:22
Anyone have h20 info on the Art Loeb Trail between Shining Rock and Cold Mtn?

Roots
10-14-2007, 12:43
Anyone have h20 info on the Art Loeb Trail between Shining Rock and Cold Mtn?

I talked to a guy 3 days ago that said the Shining Rock area was a little scarce with water, but I'm not sure on details. He did say that the rest of the trail was ok. We've had better rain around the Pisgah area than the rest of Western NC.

SawnieRobertson
10-14-2007, 14:41
This sounds bad for SOBOs. I think it's time to do a little angeling with my fresh spring water at VA 670, VA 672, and Dickey Gap. The forest service is not very encouraging. That is, they have set the fire ban through
December 15. That means that they expect no significant relief in the next couple of months. I hope someone is taking water to trailheads between Pearisburg and Groseclose. Situation is not good.--Kinnickinic

bf24
10-14-2007, 21:58
Anybody hike betwwen Lewis Mtn and Ashby Gap lately? Just wondering what the water situation is like. Thanks.

bf24
10-14-2007, 22:02
Anybody hike betwwen Lewis Mtn and Ashby Gap lately? Just wondering what the water situation is like. Thanks.

Hmmm.. maybe I'll put this in the Virginia section. Had multiple windows open...:D

deadhorsejoe
10-15-2007, 22:23
My son and I hiked this section starting this past Thursday afternoon (October 11) to Sunday night (October 14). I have broken this down into how we hiked it so that I can remember where the water was. We hiked south from Neels to Amicalola Falls SP.

Thursday afternoon (Neels to Slaughter Gap campsite)

No water (spring below campsite dry)

Friday (Slaughter Gap campsite to Gooch Gap campsite [grassy campsite next to FS42])

Water in a creek (may be Lance Creek) next to a large campsite to left of AT before you get to the intersection of the Dockery Lake trail. Others have not listed this water source between Neels and Woody. Josh Saint (Hiker Hostel) told us about it on our shuttle from Amicalola Falls to Neels.

Creek running well down side trail at Gooch Gap campsite

Saturday (Gooch Gap campsite to some small campside on ridge overlooking Hightower Gap)

Did not check Gooch Gap shelter but one person told us the water source was pumpable.

Blackwell Creek little over a mile south of Gooch Gap shelter running well

Justus Creek running well

Sunday (Hightower Gap to Amicalola Falls SP - stupid move for someone [me] not in good hiking condition)

Hawke Mountain shelter - creek down blue blaze behind shelter running fairly well

Plenty water Long Creek area

Plenty water Chester creek immediately after crossing FS58

Plenty water Stover Creek

Water at smaller creek both before and after side trail to Stover Creek shelter. Looks like AT has been recently relocated in this area.

Did not check Stover Creek shelter

Water at Davis Creek before parking lot (FS42) under Springer Mountain

No water between Davis Creek and Amicalola Falls SP

Did not check Black Mountain shelter

Bootstrap
10-15-2007, 22:40
Hiked this stretch over the weekend - it was *wonderful*. Here's the water situation - I'll distinguish what I saw from what other hikers told me.

Hearsay: Ash Gap has water

Roan Mountain, at Cloudlands parking lot, has drinking fountain / faucet.

Between Roan Mountain and Carver's Gap - a few streams, consider these polluted and filter if you use this. Better yet, get your water at Roan or Carver's Gap ...

Carver's Gap has a springbox that has water.

Hearsay: On the Grassy Ridge, to the North of the plaque down the trail, there's water.

Just past Grassy Ridge, a spring on the East side of the trail has a good enough trickle to fill your bottles.

Hearsay: Stan Murray shelter is dry. (If they say it's dry, I don't check ;->)

Overmountain Shelter - there's water down the road 2000 feet from the shelter. No water at the shelter.

Little Hump - I didn't check, but there's a sign pointing to water at the camping spot on the way down into Bradley Gap. Maybe dry, maybe not ...

Hearsay: Bradley Gap may have a trickle. Treat water here, cattle graze in the area.

Hearsay: Doll's Flat may have a trickle.

Apple House Shelter has good water coming out of the pipe.

Hope this helps someone!

Jonathan

Matt and Tiff
10-22-2007, 17:18
Hogpen Gap to Neels Gap was BONE DRY last weekend (not even a muddy spot).

Thanks for the update on the Neels Gap to Amicalola section, Grayjoe.

We're doing Woody Gap to Amicalola in a couple of weeks and it sounds like the water's flowin'

gold bond
10-23-2007, 09:56
How about Deep Gap to NOC? Any updates. Have some friends going out this weekend.

River Runner
10-24-2007, 00:37
Any recent updates on the water between Unicoi Gap to Winding Stair Gap?

butch trent
10-24-2007, 17:21
sams gap to allen gap?

Chris_Asheville
10-24-2007, 17:29
Getting a lot of rain in Asheville and it is supposed to continue over the next day or so. I'll be in the Smokys next weekend, I'll let everyone know how the levels are over there..

Hooch
10-24-2007, 17:54
Anyone here know what the water situation is between I-40 and Hot Springs? I think I heard they're getting some rain, but not sure how it'll affect the overall water picture in the area. If anyone can advise, it'd be greatly appreciated. :D

Summit
10-28-2007, 18:02
Just finished my Dick's Creek, GA -> NOC hike. Started on 10/20 and finished on 10/27. Here are my water findings:

Plumorchard - good flow from pipe in stream by shelter.
Bly Gap - Dry
Muskrat Shelter - barely flowing stream, very low.
Standing Indian Shelter (Kimsey Creek) - flowing well, good source.
Good stream between Beech Gap and Carter Gap - excellent source.
Carter Gap Shelter - mudhole, water slightly flowing due to rain, but cloudy. Drinkable with good filtering.
Culvert about 2 miles before Albert Mt. - flowing very well after rain - excellent source.
Big Spring Shelter - Spring not flowing but muddy rain run-off flow - usable after filtering well.
Stream before Glassmine Gap - excellent source flowing very well. You can also camp by this stream by taking Long Branch trail in Glassmine Gap (1/4 off trail).
Rock Gap Shelter - spring is DRY!
Stream about .1 mile north of Wallace Gap - good source.
Stream about .3 miles north of Winding Stair Gap - nice campsite and execellent flow.
Stream about .9 miles north of Winding Stair Gap - nice campsite and good flow. No water from here until about 3/4 mile the other side of Weyah Bald.
Weyah Bald Shelter (NEW!) - about 3/4 mile the other side of Weyah Bald - spring is flowing slow but good clean water. THIS NEW SHELTER BUILT SPRING OF '07 HAS AN EXCELLENT SETTING AND VIEW.
Piped stream between above shelter and Tellico Gap - Excellent water source. Fill up here for Wesser Bald assent.
Wesser Bald shelter - box spring has good water but flowing very poorly. Filter well, and fill up due to no water between shelter and Wesser (NOC).

Blessings!

MOWGLI
10-28-2007, 18:11
Nice report Summit.

mechengr
11-01-2007, 19:55
Just did a 20 miler from Albert Mountain to Wayah Bald this past weekend. The spring at Rock Gap is dry. Water can be found across the road below the shelter. Walk the grassy road pass the gate to the stream in the bottom. There is water at Siler Bald shelter. The streams I crossed were running fairly well, but most springs were dry.

River Runner
11-03-2007, 18:23
Just did a section hike this week between Unicoi Gap north to Winding Stair Gap. Here's a water update:

Everything was dry until just after Indian Grave Gap at the forest service road. There was a small trickle coming out of a culvert under the road that looked fairly clear.

Tray Mountain Shelter spring was a stagnant puddle.

Water reported available 1/2 mile downhill from trail at Addis Gap (did not personally check, as we packed plenty of water knowing the area was dry.)

Excellent water at Deep Gap Shelter. Not at the usual spring before the shelter, which is dry, but directions to the water are in the shelter log.

Small pools, some trickles on south side of Dick's Creek Gap.

Small running stream of good water at Plum Orchard, just before shelter.

Muskrat Creek reported to have water - did not personally check.

Carter Gap - water in spring behind old shelter - cloudy pool, being filled by a small seep in the rock, not through the normal pipe.

Betty Creek Gap - spring to right (northbound) was cloudy, seeping slowly. Better water is available down Betty Creek trail, where stream crosses trail approximately 1/10 mile off AT.

Small trickles off rock on Big Butt Mountain

Several small streams crossing AT after Big Spring Shelter before Rock Gap.

Very nice stream with piped water up hill in area with stairs after Wallace Gap.

Odin
11-06-2007, 21:10
“Got to take some vacation time or lose it, so the wife and I are planning on doing from Neels Gap to Dicks Creek Gap in a couple of weeks, anybody heard of water problems on this section?”

Summit
11-07-2007, 11:59
Tray Mtn Shelter has NO water. Neither does Deep Gap Shelter, but you can drop down to the NFS road below the shelter, go left on road for about 1 mile to a very nice stream (goes under road - culvert to right of road). It IS worth the water haul as the stream can be used to refresh yourself as well, and the shelter area is pretty nice.

jodestick
11-07-2007, 16:06
i hiked sam's gap to erwin this past weekend.

a trail angel had lots of water at sam's gap for thru hikers.

the marked water source on the way to bald mt. was completely dry.

there was a spring right on the trail before summitting bald mt. that you could use if you have a cup.

there was a small amount of water at bald mt. shelter.

spivey gap had a ton of water.

no business shelter had a little bit of water. there is also a source right before that one that was flowing better.

this was a north bound hike.

galaleemc
11-08-2007, 09:41
My Hubby hiked this section yesterday as he told me.

"Little bit at Muskrat creek Shelter
Rock Gap completely dry
Several other streams that normally have water completely dry.
It's bad."

mbanja
11-12-2007, 00:01
I'm taking two semi-experienced but new to AT friends and my niece who has never hiked but is in pretty good shape on an overnight on Dec.1-2. I haven't quite figured where to go yet. After reading this, I'm thinking twice about my first choice of Tray Mtn. It's still three weeks away, but I don't see the drought going away any time soon. My second choice was Blood Mtn, but there's no water on the bald and the water source near Wood's Hole is reportedly dry as well. I don't really want to drive up to Cheoah or Wayah....
Plus, Blood Mtn isn't much of a hike. I'd take the Freeman trail around it on the first day, or summit the first - but spend the night near Wood's Hole either way because I've been told Blood is popular on the weekends. I haven't been up there in a good five years. Any advice from one who's been up there recently? Or, do you think Tray would be a good hike/view reward for my neice on her first hike?

whitefoot_hp
11-12-2007, 12:59
I'm taking two semi-experienced but new to AT friends and my niece who has never hiked but is in pretty good shape on an overnight on Dec.1-2. I haven't quite figured where to go yet. After reading this, I'm thinking twice about my first choice of Tray Mtn. It's still three weeks away, but I don't see the drought going away any time soon. My second choice was Blood Mtn, but there's no water on the bald and the water source near Wood's Hole is reportedly dry as well. I don't really want to drive up to Cheoah or Wayah....
Plus, Blood Mtn isn't much of a hike. I'd take the Freeman trail around it on the first day, or summit the first - but spend the night near Wood's Hole either way because I've been told Blood is popular on the weekends. I haven't been up there in a good five years. Any advice from one who's been up there recently? Or, do you think Tray would be a good hike/view reward for my neice on her first hike?

you are right about blood mountain. prob won't be any water at any of the regular sources in the area, including slaughter creek and woods hole. however, if you take the slaughter creek trail towards lake winfield park, you are almost bound to come to some water before you get to winfield, as this trail follows slaughter creek, even if not there is water at lake winfield only three miles off of the trial. you could camp here and/or take the jarrad gap trail back to the at, then head north to woods hole camp there, then head back towards blood mountain. plently of loop options here. there is

Newb
11-14-2007, 12:13
Looks like some showers may finally be heading toward north Georgia. I hope they help.

whitefoot_hp
11-14-2007, 16:37
what showers? turned out to be thin and very, very scattered. dahonega saw little.

norman55
11-14-2007, 16:47
The latest information offered on this thread for this section was posted 11/3.

Was wondering if anyone might have an update or can refer me to another thread that might have more information.

Thanks,
Sambeaux

River Runner
11-14-2007, 23:01

The section around Tray was very dry, however you could consider starting at Tray Gap (just before the climb up the mountain) and overnighting at Deep Gap Shelter, which had very good water behind the shelter. Directions are in the shelter log.

Plumorchard Gap had very good water. You could take them southbound from Deep Gap to Dick's Creek, overnighting at Plumorchard Gap. It's a little over 11 miles though, which might be optimistic for a new hiker for the first day.

You could also consider Deep Gap to Mooney Gap (either direction). The water at Carter Gap was cloudy, but usable with filtering.

This is all assuming the water situation hasn't changed in the last couple of weeks.

Odin
11-15-2007, 14:03
“Well, we're back and had a nice hike. H2O is sparse. There is water at the following places:
Neel Gap (of course)
Low Gap (nice creek)
Blue Mountain Shelter (a slow spring, but not dried up)
and Addis Gap

Passed several dried up springs and creeks, Trail Angels are leaving jugs of H2O near roads, but SOBO's are going to need to conserve.”

Matt and Tiff
11-19-2007, 20:57
Woody to Amicalola H20 (last weekend)

Gooch Gap-THANKS! to whoever left the "A.T. H20" water container.

Gooch Mtn Shelter-Good enough

Blackwell Creek-Good

Justus Creek-Good

Long Creek-Good

Chester Creek-Good

Stover Creek-plenty of water at the new footbridge BEFORE the shelter sidetrail (SB), the water source behind the shelter is not good

Davis Creek-a few puddles under the leaves.

No more 'till Amicalola Falls

mbanja
11-25-2007, 22:34
2 straight days of rain in Atlanta. i'm hoping for Tray mtn. next weekend for a water source at the shelter- and i'll settle for the cheese factory if Tray is dry.

MOWGLI
11-26-2007, 07:48
Raining hard - or will be soon in the Franklin area. We received 2.2" of rain in Chattanooga since midnight.

Sharkey
12-04-2007, 21:15
Anyone have any water updates for the section between the N.O.C. and Fontana Dam?

Roots
12-04-2007, 21:25
If no one posts to answer your question, call Jeff and Nancy at the Hike Inn. They've always been able to give us a good update. When we were there in October, Stecoah to Fontana had at least 4 sources. From NOC to Stecoah was still pretty dry. Nancy told us, at the time, that Stecoah did have water. You might want to check Wingfoots Thru-Hiker handbook to see exactly where it is located. I would definitely call and ask them. 828-479-3677. Tell them Roots says Hello:) .