PDA

View Full Version : What do mice think?

mweinstone
09-03-2007, 09:25
rattle snakes are loosing their rattles what with the buffalo all gone combined with the evolutionary lesson their learning that rattleing alerts man and gets em killed.
how bout shelter mice? what do we teach them? what do they think? will they change to adapt their birthing rates to the ebb and flow of hikerdom? do they exhibit behaviors special to our repeated jetboilings of weirdo foods? are some of them stowing away and mateing with citymice causeing a race of giants? do they have alquadalike underground fortresses compleet with jihad crazed dictators? what are those mice becoming under the tutalage of hikers? and finaly, is dances with mice their human leader and will he lead the mouse revolt predicted by edward casy to happen in the year 2012? i wanna see the first all mousemeat thruhike. all mousemeat, all the time. mouse jerky by day, fine mouse stew by eve!

Lion King
09-03-2007, 09:36
I've been working with the esteemed professor of Micotology out of Mid-Virginia University of Rodentation and Infestation, Dr Paul J Riddage, and he says that evolution of Shelter mice has seen a serious influx of 'slipper feet'

This new evolutionairy process allows the mice to walk across shelter floors and ceiling beams without being heard per their usual "Scurry scurry scutter" noise.

Also, it should be noted that, in VA mice--Shennadoah area in particular---the mice have also developed larger upper arm muscles allowing them to pick up food bags, and in larger mice, even whole packs, without ever being heard.

This brings up the newest in technology which is a food bag that smells of cat urine. It may stink up your pack but it insures the mice stay away.

Lone Wolf
09-03-2007, 09:48
kill all mice, burn all shelters

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-03-2007, 09:52
Perhaps someone should develop an ultralight rope forhanging food that looks like a black rat snake?

mweinstone
09-03-2007, 10:02
import ferral cats! what do mice provide for man? in shelter situations i mean. i understand in the feild they distribute seed and airate soil. what do shelter weeni mice do? i say we eat em. their clean and organic acorn fed,...why i bet there great! im thinking marinated in knob creek and spit roasted with rasperry stuffing and dandylion leaves for a side. breakfast is easy. yep! you guessed lonewolf,....creamed chipped mouse on shingles. mmmmmmmmm chipped mouse........

Lone Wolf
09-03-2007, 10:05
shelter dwellers have no imagination. y'all are sheeple eating miceples

aaroniguana
09-03-2007, 12:07
This brings up the newest in technology which is a food bag that smells of cat urine. It may stink up your pack but it insures the mice stay away.

Aww man, you're kidding, right? I just threw away my favorite pack that had been decorated by my cat. Now I'm not only out a vintage ultralight Hillary pack, but the money it cost to buy a used REI UL50. And the mice will have a field day with that one.

You guys gotta get this stuff to the public a little faster, huh?

Doctari
09-03-2007, 18:17
FWIW: mice aren't as afraid of cats (or dogs, or snakes, etc) as you would think. A friend did a study as her college theisus: first the field was studied for 3 months with no cats (dogs etc) then she spread (at various times) the poo & urine of; cats, dogs, snakes & yes, people. There was NO apreciable effect. She then introduced rat droppings, all, that is ALL of the mice dissapeared.

My house has been mouse free for 5 years.

Doctari.

Jimmers
09-03-2007, 18:19
So how are the rats doing?:D

wrongway_08
09-03-2007, 18:46
I had a pet 12 foot Eastern Carpet python, went to feed him, he wouldnt touch the rat, they became buddies and the stupid rat would sleep by the snake.
Weird thing is I went out and bought another rat the same day - the snake ate that one without a 2nd thought.

My calico cat also would sleep by this snake, the Python never bothered the cat.

Oh yea, the python had his own room, 12 x14 foot, thats why the cat was able to get into its "cage". The rat ended up becomming a pet and got his own little pad to relax in.

Ask a vet about it, she said its not that uncommon. Go figure.

aaroniguana
09-03-2007, 19:20
will he lead the mouse revolt predicted by edward casy to happen in the year 2012?!

I finally deciphered this. Edgar Cayce. Nice reference.

Skidsteer
09-03-2007, 19:23
I finally deciphered this. Edgar Cayce. Nice reference.

He likes to make you work for it, don't he?

zelph
09-03-2007, 20:13
In the movie Never Cry Wolf the guy started eating mice and seemed to take a liking to the taste. If he can do it, so can we!!!!!!

You first mweinstone:D

Doctari
09-03-2007, 20:16
So how are the rats doing?:D

Rats are good! Finally got them to stop chasing the cats.

I had a pet 12 foot Eastern Carpet python, went to feed him, he wouldnt touch the rat, they became buddies and the stupid rat would sleep by the snake.
Weird thing is I went out and bought another rat the same day - the snake ate that one without a 2nd thought.

My calico cat also would sleep by this snake, the Python never bothered the cat.
Oh yea, the python had his own room, 12 x14 foot, thats why the cat was able to get into its "cage". The rat ended up becomming a pet and got his own little pad to relax in.
Ask a vet about it, she said its not that uncommon. Go figure.

Yea, I can see that. She is gone now, old age, but Elizabeth (9 OZ rat) used to sleep on Snap (40 Lb Cat, our "Mouser") Snap still misses Elizabeth, nearly 2 years later.

SO, what do shelter mice think? I am afraid to find out, be afraid, be very afraid (insert evil laugh here)!

gold bond
09-04-2007, 12:00
I saw a shelter mouse interviewed on Letterman the other night. Seems as though they are getting very popular!
To here him tell the story you would think that the hikers are raiding the mice's food bags!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-04-2007, 12:06
FWIW: mice aren't as afraid of cats (or dogs, or snakes, etc) as you would think. A friend did a study as her college thesis: first the field was studied for 3 months with no cats (dogs etc) then she spread (at various times) the poo & urine of; cats, dogs, snakes & yes, people. There was NO appreciable effect. She then introduced rat droppings, all, that is ALL of the mice disappeared.::: Dino makes millions developing ultralight rat poo for hikers :::

saimyoji
09-04-2007, 12:07
::: Dino makes millions developing ultralight rat poo for hikers :::

Do you have to leave the house to do that? :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-04-2007, 12:11
Do you have to leave the house to do that? :D::: :eek: Dino grinds up saimyoji to add to rat pellets :D :::

Footslogger
09-04-2007, 12:29
Ooopss ...didn't see Zelph's post and had mentioned the movie Cry Wolf. Deleted the text as it was essentially a duplicate post.

'Slogger

Blue Jay
09-04-2007, 13:07
It is well known that humans are just a genetic experiment conducted by mice. Shelter mice are lazy, they created the AT so we would bring food to them.

Footslogger
09-04-2007, 13:09
Coming to a theater near you ..."PLANET OF THE MICE"

'Slogger

chiefdaddy
09-04-2007, 13:31
WOW this is the best!!!!!
Hmmm reminds me of a story.......Mr.Parkey, Blink, and myself(Chiefdaddy) at the Springer Shelter Dec 07 snow falling mice Mating on my face in my sleep(it happened!), Mice jumping on my face and theirs(Blink and Pakey) I beat the floor til my hand hurt half a sleep all night frezing, they even took a dump on top of my sleeping bag while I slept, not to mention ate Parkey's Ramen while it was on the bear cables. I still have the bite valve that has mice nibbles on it. lol :D good times good times. I threw out a back rib jumping around in my sleep due to the mice, it was hard to breath for three days on my way to the NC border doing the ga section in 6 days, stayed at the empty neels gap hostel and turned in my home made stove for a jet boil at the outfitters :D

I saw more mice and freezing rain than I could have ever dreamed!

Johnny Thunder
09-04-2007, 14:15
It is well known that humans are just a genetic experiment conducted by mice. Shelter mice are lazy, they created the AT so we would bring food to them.

That's right...see mice created the trail to find the solution to "Life, The Universe, and Everything." They already had the answer, which contrary to popular belief was, "Easy Cheese."

Mice have been using us to find the question...I believe it's something along the lines of "What's nutricious, delicious, and more adherent than duct tape?" EASY CHEESE! See how that works. Now, if mice only liked cheese...

Johnny

Gray Blazer
09-04-2007, 14:28
That's right...see mice created the trail to find the solution to "Life, The Universe, and Everything." They already had the answer, which contrary to popular belief was, "Easy Cheese."

Mice have been using us to find the question...I believe it's something along the lines of "What's nutricious, delicious, and more adherent than duct tape?" EASY CHEESE! See how that works. Now, if mice only liked cheese...

Johnny

I thought the answer was 42.:confused:

saimyoji
09-04-2007, 14:44

Of course, but what is the question, you see. That is the question.

JAK
09-04-2007, 15:07
Mouse have evolved with us, and provided far more inspiration for our poets than they have taken from our packs and larders. "A daimen-icker in a
thrave 'S a sma' request: I'll get a blessin' wi' the lave, And never miss't!"

Heh? What's that yea say down under?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LMxhc8WwGU

My God. My God. Kill them. Kill them all.
In the name of humanity kill them all while we still can!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-04-2007, 15:23
One of our members is deeply offended by this thread
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Springer.jpg
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14443 - for those who don't get this joke

Brrrb Oregon
09-04-2007, 16:41
What do mice think? I'm guessing that what mice have on an endless loop in their brains runs like this:

"I am SO hungry! What is there around here to eat? Ack! What was that sound? Everything is out to kill me. Gotta keep outta sight, I don't wanna die. Hey, this smells interesting. Maybe I can chew on this. Hmmm. No luck. I gotta find something to eat. Then, if I can find something to eat without getting killed, I'm going to have to get myself laid. Who are you? What, you gonna eat me, gonna eat my food, or gonna help me get laid? Hey, what's this? Smells good...."

I think that is about as deep as their reflections on life get. Let us hope that it doesn't sound familiar to anyone reading this. :D

saimyoji
09-04-2007, 17:06
What do mice think? Pinky and the Brain. 'nough said.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Jim Adams
09-04-2007, 17:25

No, 42 hiked in 2006 but I don't think that she had any problems with mice!:D

geek

Jim Adams
09-04-2007, 17:49
Sept. 2002 Carl Newhall Shelter

I had just gotten to the shelter about 11am in a driving rain. It was early but I already had 12 miles in today and I was soaked to the bone so I decided to stay. I tried to talk Lady Bug into staying but she needed to keep going and I watched her walk away into the slanted rain.
I looked around and couldn't believe my eyes. So ignorant ba***rd had thrown confetti everywhere. I decided that if I was staying that i would'nt waste the day so I began to clean up the shelter. The confetti was just little squares of paper with pictures of Mickey Mouse on each one. I picked them all up and compressed them into a ball...that is when the problem began! You see, my small ziploc of garbage was full and it was certainly too wet to start a fire to burn them so, being "just paper" I compressed the wad as tight as I could get it and swallowed it. I then went about continueing to clean the shelter. Suddenly I felt strange...an odd feeling, not unlike a good Jack Daniels buzz. Then it hit me...it reminded me of a song from 1970:
There I was, I was taken to a place.
It was the Hall of the Mountain King.
I stood high on a mountain top.
Naked to the world, in front of every kinda mouse.
There was long ones, short ones, tall ones, big ones brown ones, crazy ones.
Out of the middle, came a big rat.
He whispered in my ear, something real phatt.
He said.
Spill the wine, eat that squirrel!
Spill the wine, eat that squirrel!
Suddenly I awoke and was surrounded by thousands, no ten thousands of mice. They weren't into my food bag yet but my stove was lit and water was boiling.
I looked at the clock...it was 04:20 so I packed up...and loaded my pack too.
I threw on my pack and ran up the trail to White Cap Mountain as fast as I could, trying to get to the summit before the giant mushrooms caught me and the whole way up my mind was consumed with just one thought.

I WISH SOME A**HOLE WOULD BRING A CAT OUT HERE!

geek

wakapak
09-04-2007, 17:58
Lol!! Geek, that is one funny story!!

Smile
09-04-2007, 18:33
Enjoyed that one as well :)

Actually, all of your Walmart purchases will fund the mouse project in China.....now here's a bunch of mice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_BMB-luOYE

Dances with Mice
09-04-2007, 19:05
Actually, all of your Walmart purchases will fund the mouse project in China.....now here's a bunch of mice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_BMB-luOYE
You must not speak Mandarin.

The announcer is explaining that it's time for the big mouse round-up out on the mouse rances. That's when all the Chinese mouse-boys go into the hills and drive in all the mice for branding and sorting the herd. Then they drive the them up the trail to the mouse markets up north, trying to prevent mouse stampedes and avoiding mouse rustlers.

Smile
09-04-2007, 19:13
Ahhhhh so, that's what the guy is saying, I should have known you would know the inside scoop ( no pun intended)
:)

gold bond
09-05-2007, 09:32
I read where some mice did a study on 4 seperate humans and found that they would rather eat the bugs under a shelter than a home made hike bar!