PDA

View Full Version : completed the 100 mile wilderness

Kirby
09-03-2007, 11:21
Just through I would let everyone know I completed my section hike from Monson to the summit of Katahdin, had a class one day for Katahdin. Instead of explaining my whole trip, I will answer questions about it in this thread, ask a serious question, and you will get my answer. I will not be able to answer questions rapidly,as I am on a restaurant right now, but once I get home I will dedicate sometime to answering the questions you all want answered.

:banana Kirby:banana

Robo, if you are reading this, hope you made it back to Michigan safely, I am sitting in the AT Cafe in Millinocket (great food), waiting for my ride. It was a pleasure hiking with you.

Roland
09-03-2007, 11:25
Congrats on your hike.

What type of communication/homing device did you ultimately carry?

Lone Wolf
09-03-2007, 11:27
do you not go to school? are you home schooled.:-?

7Sisters
09-03-2007, 11:27
Kirby - that's awesome - Congrats.

What a small wrold. I summitted with Robo in 2005, it was the first summit for both of us.

Glad to hear you made it and look forward to chatting. Safe travels back home!

JAK
09-03-2007, 11:28
Great stuff. Did you see any Bull Moose? Did you see Gator Gump?
Which one did you toss your Sattelite GPS Heart Rate Monitor onto?

p.s. "I am on a restaurant right now"
Get off the damn roof. Enough with the climbing already.

Kirby
09-03-2007, 11:28
Congrats on your hike.

What type of communication/homing device did you ultimately carry?

Nothing, I got cell phone reception once in the wilderness where I called my dad. besides that, he was a little worried but felt better once I called him kfrom Antler campsite (water break) and told him I was hiking with someone who has 4,000 miles under his feet.

Kirby

Kirby
09-03-2007, 11:31
7Sisters, I sent you and email.

I did not see Gator Gump, I saw a moose, but you might be reffering to a person, in which case no.

Lone Wolf, school has not started yet, it starts thursday.

Kirby

whitelightning
09-03-2007, 12:02
How many people did you see? In the past I've read that the 100 mile wilderness is the most remote part of the AT. More recently I hear that it's become increasingly crowded. I've never hiked in Maine, so I'm just curious.

Kirby
09-03-2007, 12:14
How many people did you see? In the past I've read that the 100 mile wilderness is the most remote part of the AT. More recently I hear that it's become increasingly crowded. I've never hiked in Maine, so I'm just curious.

I saw roughly 20 different people, it is no longer a true wilderness, you can easily get out if you need to, and a lot of it is accessible by car on the logging roads.

Kirby

JAK
09-03-2007, 12:27
20 people is not too bad over 100 miles though. I wonder what it would be like in winter. Most trails here are great in winter, especially for time alone. But some do get just a little too crazy. Thing I like about winter is you don't need to go as far for things to get 'interesting'.

weary
09-03-2007, 15:07
20 people is not too bad over 100 miles though. I wonder what it would be like in winter. Most trails here are great in winter, especially for time alone. But some do get just a little too crazy. Thing I like about winter is you don't need to go as far for things to get 'interesting'.
Very true. The only true wilderness these days is along the winter trails and mountain summits.

walkin' wally
09-03-2007, 16:14

My wife and I are going to Fundy National Park for kayaking and hiking during the end of September. We want to try to get to Kouchibougouac (sp?) Park too for hiking.

We want to see New Brunswick and enjoy the outdoors there.

Phreak
09-03-2007, 16:30
Congratz!!

JAK
09-03-2007, 16:48
My wife and I are going to Fundy National Park for kayaking and hiking during the end of September. We want to try to get to Kouchibougouac (sp?) Park too for hiking.

We want to see New Brunswick and enjoy the outdoors there.It's the best time of the year for kayaking in my opinion, because the cold water is at its warmest, and the air is cool enough to dress for the water. Both parks are great for kayaking and hiking, but they are each very different from one another. Have a blast.

Kouchibouguac is correct. Supposed to be pronounced KOOSH-e-boo-gwack, or Kou-she-boo-gwack, but most locals I hear say something more like KOOSH-ba-QUACK, in either an Acadian or English accent. Acadians and Natives are more apt to get it right though. It means "river of long tides", not so much because the tides are high there, but I'm guessing because the flood tide could easily be used more favourably than on most rivers.

JAK
09-03-2007, 16:52
The original Mi'kmaq name was Pijeboogwek,
changed by the Acadians to Kouchibouguac, to keep things easy. :D

JAK
09-03-2007, 17:41
Sorry. Back to you Kirby.
Give us a trip report when you get a chance.

Shutterbug
09-03-2007, 18:27

Whitelightning

I have hiked the 100 Mile Wilderness each of the last four years, and hope to hike the southern half again this year.

It seems to me that a lot of the negative comments about the 100 Mile Wilderness are from people who get hung up on the term "wilderness." For those of us who who are familiar with the wilderness areas out west, the 100 Mile Wilderness doesn't compare well in terms of remoteness. Perhaps we could call it the "100 Mile Woods" and do away with the controversy.

In the 100 Mile Wilderness, you can hike for 100 miles without crossing a paved road.

For those who appreciate natrual beauty, there is a lot of it along the AT in the 100 Mile Wilderness. There are beautiful waterfalls, mountain vistas, groves of ancient trees, large lakes, small ponds.

The trail is challenging. The climb over Whitecap Mountain gets one's heart rate up. There are lots of roots, rocks and bogs.

Wild life is abundant. There is a probability that you will see a moose, deer and lots of squirrels. It isn't as likely, but possible that you will see a black bear. Birds are abundant.

Depending on the time of the year, river crossings may be a challenge. They add variety to the hike.

If you judge wilderness by the lack of noise, you will be disappointed during the day, but love it during the night. The noise from logging operations and planes is constant during the day, but tend to go away when it gets dark. I love to camp close to a lake where I can hear the loons at dusk and dawn. It is a sound you will never forget.

If you like company, stay at the shelters. In the four years I have hiked there, there always seems to be a party at the shelters. Personally, I enjoy a lonely camp. There are lots of great places in the 100 Mile Wilderness where you can camp all alone. It is only crowded at the shelters.

Access is not as difficult as it once was. There is no place in the 100 Mile Wilderness that you are more than a few hours from a logging road. That may take away from the remoteness, but isn't all bad. Three years ago, one of the men who were hiking with me got sick when we were near the middle of the Wilderness. It was good that he could hitch a ride out without having to hike 50 miles back to Monson.

There always seems to be controversy about White House Landing. I have only stopped there once, but loved it. I had been in constant rain for three days. I stopped in at White House Landing to dry out. I found Bill and Linda to be great hosts. The prices were reasonable considering where they are located. Their hamburger was great, but the pizza was even better.

It is fun to hike southbound in the 100 Mile Wilderness this time of year. It provides an opportunity to meet a lot of thru hikers as they finish their hikes.

Near the middle of the 100 Mile Wilderness is Gulf Hagas. Most thru-hikers are anxious to finish their thru hikes so they don't take time for Gulf Hagas. It is known as the "Grand Canyon of Maine" or sometimes as the "Grand Canyon of the East." Either way, Gulf Hagas is worth a visit. Last year, I did the entire Gulf Hagas loop. There is really nothing to see on the northern half of the loop, but the southern half has a series of really beautiful waterfalls. Because there are several points of automobile access to Gulf Hagas, there are often a lot of day hikers in that area.

The maps and guidebooks make a big deal out of the "Hermitage." It is an area of old growth trees near Gulf Hagas. Being from Washington State, I wasn't really impressed.

If you are interested in a 100 mile walk in the woods, the 100 Mile Wilderness is a great place to hike. If you are seeking true wilderness, come out west. I can point you to some places so remote that if you get lost you probably won't be found.

JAK
09-03-2007, 18:45
I like the name because it reminds me of the Hundred Acre Wood. I presume, though I am not sure, that the naming of the 100-Mile Wilderness predates it. Anyhow, I think any wilderness is a wild as one wishes to make it. When I was very young the Hundred Acre Wood was vast, and I still haven't explored it's farthest reaches.

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 19:05
100 mile wilderness. Insert Homer's drooling noise here. Maybe I'll take a walk in when I'm at the feed on the 16th.:)

weary
09-03-2007, 19:22
Whitelightning

I have hiked the 100 Mile Wilderness each of the last four years, and hope to hike the southern half again this year.

It seems to me that a lot of the negative comments about the 100 Mile Wilderness are from people who get hung up on the term "wilderness." For those of us who who are familiar with the wilderness areas out west, the 100 Mile Wilderness doesn't compare well in terms of remoteness. Perhaps we could call it the "100 Mile Woods" and do away with the controversy.

In the 100 Mile Wilderness, you can hike for 100 miles without crossing a paved road.

For those who appreciate natrual beauty, there is a lot of it along the AT in the 100 Mile Wilderness. There are beautiful waterfalls, mountain vistas, groves of ancient trees, large lakes, small ponds.

The trail is challenging. The climb over Whitecap Mountain gets one's heart rate up. There are lots of roots, rocks and bogs.

Wild life is abundant. There is a probability that you will see a moose, deer and lots of squirrels. It isn't as likely, but possible that you will see a black bear. Birds are abundant.

Depending on the time of the year, river crossings may be a challenge. They add variety to the hike.

If you judge wilderness by the lack of noise, you will be disappointed during the day, but love it during the night. The noise from logging operations and planes is constant during the day, but tend to go away when it gets dark. I love to camp close to a lake where I can hear the loons at dusk and dawn. It is a sound you will never forget.

If you like company, stay at the shelters. In the four years I have hiked there, there always seems to be a party at the shelters. Personally, I enjoy a lonely camp. There are lots of great places in the 100 Mile Wilderness where you can camp all alone. It is only crowded at the shelters.

Access is not as difficult as it once was. There is no place in the 100 Mile Wilderness that you are more than a few hours from a logging road. That may take away from the remoteness, but isn't all bad. Three years ago, one of the men who were hiking with me got sick when we were near the middle of the Wilderness. It was good that he could hitch a ride out without having to hike 50 miles back to Monson.

There always seems to be controversy about White House Landing. I have only stopped there once, but loved it. I had been in constant rain for three days. I stopped in at White House Landing to dry out. I found Bill and Linda to be great hosts. The prices were reasonable considering where they are located. Their hamburger was great, but the pizza was even better.

It is fun to hike southbound in the 100 Mile Wilderness this time of year. It provides an opportunity to meet a lot of thru hikers as they finish their hikes.

Near the middle of the 100 Mile Wilderness is Gulf Hagas. Most thru-hikers are anxious to finish their thru hikes so they don't take time for Gulf Hagas. It is known as the "Grand Canyon of Maine" or sometimes as the "Grand Canyon of the East." Either way, Gulf Hagas is worth a visit. Last year, I did the entire Gulf Hagas loop. There is really nothing to see on the northern half of the loop, but the southern half has a series of really beautiful waterfalls. Because there are several points of automobile access to Gulf Hagas, there are often a lot of day hikers in that area.

The maps and guidebooks make a big deal out of the "Hermitage." It is an area of old growth trees near Gulf Hagas. Being from Washington State, I wasn't really impressed.

If you are interested in a 100 mile walk in the woods, the 100 Mile Wilderness is a great place to hike. If you are seeking true wilderness, come out west. I can point you to some places so remote that if you get lost you probably won't be found.

An excellent comment, and very true.

weary
09-03-2007, 19:26
I like the name because it reminds me of the Hundred Acre Wood. I presume, though I am not sure, that the naming of the 100-Mile Wilderness predates it. Anyhow, I think any wilderness is a wild as one wishes to make it. When I was very young the Hundred Acre Wood was vast, and I still haven't explored it's farthest reaches.
Our town land trust bought 253 acres 13 years ago. We have built and marked 12 miles of trails, I walk there almost weekly. But I still haven't seen all the wildness the preserves offers.

Weary

The Old Fhart
09-03-2007, 21:03
Shutterbug, That was an excellent critique of the 100-mile 'wilderness'. It seems all the people who spend all their time and energy complaining about the 100-mile 'wilderness', or Mt Washington for that matter, are missing out on the beauty of those areas. It isn't the logging roads or WHL (that you can't even see) that is the problem, it is their attitude that sours their experience. I have been thru the 'wilderness' 6 times and always enjoyed my self because I have no unrealistic expectations and I know the history of the area. In a case like this, ignorance isn't bliss!:D

boarstone
09-03-2007, 21:19
I got out to hike part of the "100miler" on Sat the 1st. I started at Pollywog stream after the bridge, hiked south around Cresant Pond, up over Nesuntabunt Mtn. and out to Nahmakanta Lk. I had all intentions of staying overnight and finish at Cooper Brook and my truck...eerrtt! wrong answer! I ended up with knee issues coming off the mtn. so had to take my time hiking out. Not keeping in shape was part/most of the problem. Bit off more than I should of. Had a good hike up to that point. Caught a ride out to Henderson gate but not before I had walked the whole 4 miles from the landing to the top of the road turnoff into the lake! I was lucky, grateful and if any of the helpers are reading here, thanks! I didn't get to find out who you were. Met only 5 people, 4 guys in 2 groups and one lady, all NOBO.
Lesson learned...leave truck closer than yu think yu may need it! And stay in shape...ugh.:(

Shutterbug
09-03-2007, 22:05
I got out to hike part of the "100miler" on Sat the 1st. I started at Pollywog stream after the bridge, hiked south around Cresant Pond, up over Nesuntabunt Mtn. and out to Nahmakanta Lk. I had all intentions of staying overnight and finish at Cooper Brook and my truck...eerrtt! wrong answer! I ended up with knee issues coming off the mtn. so had to take my time hiking out. Not keeping in shape was part/most of the problem. Bit off more than I should of. Had a good hike up to that point. Caught a ride out to Henderson gate but not before I had walked the whole 4 miles from the landing to the top of the road turnoff into the lake! I was lucky, grateful and if any of the helpers are reading here, thanks! I didn't get to find out who you were. Met only 5 people, 4 guys in 2 groups and one lady, all NOBO.
Lesson learned...leave truck closer than yu think yu may need it! And stay in shape...ugh.:(

That is a great section to hike. I am sorry that your knees gave you a problem.

Kirby
09-03-2007, 22:33
No Gulf Hagus for me, will hike some other time.

No White House Landing, did not feel like it, personal preference thing.

I was caught on Nesentabunk in lighting though, that was scary, this was before I found out about the hiker a week earlier at Katahdin Stream campground.

Whitecap was nice, I humped my way 18 miles up and over that mountain, what a day.

The 100 mile wilderness is no longer a wilderness, I call it the 100 mile town free zone now, but I enjoyed every minute of my own walk in the woods, and I hope everyone enjoyes theirs.

Kirby

Shutterbug
09-03-2007, 22:43
No Gulf Hagus for me, will hike some other time.

No White House Landing, did not feel like it, personal preference thing.

I was caught on Nesentabunk in lighting though, that was scary, this was before I found out about the hiker a week earlier at Katahdin Stream campground.

Whitecap was nice, I humped my way 18 miles up and over that mountain, what a day.

The 100 mile wilderness is no longer a wilderness, I call it the 100 mile town free zone now, but I enjoyed every minute of my own walk in the woods, and I hope everyone enjoyes theirs.

Kirby

How many days did you take to hike the 100 mile wilderness?

Did you stay at shelters? If so, which ones?

TJ aka Teej
09-04-2007, 07:41
Congrats, Kirby! Hope you had fun!

mudhead
09-04-2007, 08:23
What amount of water did you find convenient to carry?

20oz?

Kirby
09-04-2007, 10:05
How many days did you take to hike the 100 mile wilderness?

Did you stay at shelters? If so, which ones?

I stayed at the following shelters/campsites:

Wilson Valley Lean-to, 15 mile day

For my second night, I camped at east chariback pond, just before the steeper descent towards the pleasant river and the Hermitage. 12-13 mile day.

East branch leanto, 18 mile day

potawadjo spring lean-to, 18-19 mile day

rainbow stream lean-to, 18-19 mile day

abol pines campsite, 15-16 mile day

The birches VIA the Blueberry ledges trail, 5-6 mile day

I had 2-4 liters of water with me at any given time. My nalgene water sack was chewed by a varmant of some kind so I temporarily had one liter with me until Robo gave me a platypus he was carrying so that I had two liters with me at any given time.

Kirby

JAK
09-04-2007, 10:31
Well at least it was the water sack. Could have been much worse. :eek:

Smile
09-04-2007, 12:36
Congratulations! :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-04-2007, 12:52
Congrats, Kirby. I knew you could do it :)

Jack Tarlin
09-04-2007, 12:54
Kirby:

Nice work. I started doing my first long solo hikes when I was around your age.

Keep at it, you're off to a great start!!

halftime
09-04-2007, 14:44
Congrats on a sucessful hike and safe return. Would love to see photos if you have any to post.

Kirby
09-04-2007, 16:43
I do have photos. I will post them sometime and give people who are interested a heads up.

Kirby

Suzzz
09-04-2007, 22:07
Congratulations Kirby !!!

How were the nights? Cooler than you expected or not?

Lone Wolf
09-04-2007, 22:08
did you eat blueberries on whitecap and the ledges?

Jim Adams
09-04-2007, 22:14
did you eat blueberries on whitecap and the ledges?
:sun One of the highlights of my trips! Thanks for the memories.

geek

derekthered
09-04-2007, 22:14
Wild life is abundant. There is a probability that you will see a moose, deer and lots of squirrels.

red squirrels drive me kuh-razy!!!:eek:

7Sisters
09-05-2007, 06:31

Shutterbug,

Your post has a breath of reality and really hit home with me around why I get so frustrated with the number of access points that are available in the wilderness. While I loved the wilderness, it was not what I thought and I was dissapointed - for the reasons you mention.

This makes a lot of sense to me and could have used your perspectives on the post about White House Landing a couple of weeks ago. You really bring a good perspective to this topic in a spirit of discussion, not telling anyone they are stupid or by using some of the other tactics others use.

Thanks for sharing and sorry it took me so long to notice this!

7Sisters
09-05-2007, 06:35
I had 2-4 liters of water with me at any given time. My nalgene water sack was chewed by a varmant of some kind so I temporarily had one liter with me until Robo gave me a platypus he was carrying so that I had two liters with me at any given time.

That's one of the things I enjoyed about Robo - he's a real nice guy and will really do what he can to help people. I enjoyed his company in 2005.

I spoke to him last night and he spoke very fondly of his time with you. Sounds like the water was low in the wilderness this year. Not nearly as many river crossings as when he and I did it.

Again - good job!

Kirby
09-05-2007, 07:42
I only had one river (right before the hermitage going NOBO) where I actually had to take off my shoes and put on my crocs, the rest I could rock hop across.

Robo was great company for the hike, without him I would have always been low on water, which can be a problem. He is full of high spirits and can be quite funny, which made the hike more enjoyable.

I was lucky that I only met one truely rude NOBO thru hiker, the rest were great people in the end.

Kirby