PDA

View Full Version : Should hiking sticks invalidate thru-hikes?

Desert Lobster
09-03-2007, 10:49
Why not ride a horse, if you want the extra propulsion?

Dr O
09-03-2007, 10:54

Why not go barefoot? :D

FFTorched
09-03-2007, 11:03
I was personally thinking about riding a quad or a dirtbike on my thru-hike.

rickb
09-03-2007, 11:11
No posts since April, and now you are back.

Hmmm.

JAK
09-03-2007, 11:18
Should opening with a non sequitur invalidate a thru-hike?

LIhikers
09-03-2007, 11:27
I've recently given up using my hiking poles and have switched to using a pogo stick. I'm still providing the propulsion and it's great fun too. The only problem comes when you hit soft ground or mud, you're liable to just sink in. To solve that problem I've mounted one of my snow shoes to the bottom of the pogo stick. :)

NICKTHEGREEK
09-03-2007, 11:31
I've recently given up using my hiking poles and have switched to using a pogo stick. I'm still providing the propulsion and it's great fun too. The only problem comes when you hit soft ground or mud, you're liable to just sink in. To solve that problem I've mounted one of my snow shoes to the bottom of the pogo stick. :)

Bad form. skate board for mud according to the international pogo thrukikers assn

FFTorched
09-03-2007, 11:36
If you wanted to be really highspeed and not worry about mud, or stream crossings you could get one of those speeder bikes from the Star Wars movies.

Desert Lobster
09-03-2007, 11:48
Been busy thru-hiking.

rickb
09-03-2007, 11:59
Congrats.

Your first?

bigcranky
09-03-2007, 12:04
Yes.

Actually, any thru-hike that doesn't exactly match Earl Shaffer's first thru-hike in every single detail is invalid. You have to carry a military rucksack, wear upland bird shooting boots, and do your thru-hike in 1948, or else it doesn't count.

Lone Wolf
09-03-2007, 12:06
and you gotta wear that stupid helmet

Wonder
09-03-2007, 12:11
roller skates......all the way

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-03-2007, 12:13
You mean my thru-hike on stilts doesn't count?

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 13:06
You mean my thru-hike on stilts doesn't count?

How did those stilts work out in the Mahoosuc Notch?:D

elray
09-03-2007, 14:37
I'm always very suspect of the "anti stick" hiking mentality. Not that you aren't entiltled to an opinion, I just wonder how many miles of hiking you've actually done. I'll keep my poles thank you.

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 16:16
I'm always very suspect of the "anti stick" hiking mentality. Not that you aren't entiltled to an opinion, I just wonder how many miles of hiking you've actually done. I'll keep my poles thank you.

Yeah. I bought mine on the trail from mother nature. Or maybe I'm just borrowing them. Strong wood, very light and were perfect through the Whites twice even though a NOBO who knew better told me "yer gonna have to git some new stick afore ya get ta the Whites."
Nope

Egads
09-03-2007, 17:13
What's a hiking stick?:confused:

I've never seen a stick hiking down the trail before.:D

:bananaEgads:banana

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 17:24
[quote=Egads;400831]What's a hiking stick?:confused:

Egads[quote]

It's like a 'walkin stick' only instead of blending in with trees it blends in with the trail.:D :D

drossic
09-03-2007, 18:13
What's a hiking stick?:confused:

:bananaEgads:banana

You know I've never seen a stick hike down the trail ether, however, I did see a dog hiking on a stick once. I asked the guy who own him why the dog didn't just go use the tree on the side of the trail. He said the dog had low expectation of himself. I thought that rather odd since the dog was a Great Dane! Anyways I'm all for hiking poles. How else are you going to poke your hiking partner so they will stop taking so many doggone pictures and get to the next camp site before dark !

mweinstone
09-03-2007, 18:18
yes. rape, murder and hiking poles are definatly the big invalidaters.

im an invalid dater.

Dr O
09-03-2007, 18:20
yes. rape, murder and hiking poles are definatly the big invalidaters.

im an invalid dater.

Invalid dater is still better than a master ...
:p

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 18:22
Invalid dater is still better than a master ...
:p

Great. someone's thrown out the bait again

Lanthar Mandragoran
09-04-2007, 11:32
roller skates......all the way

I was thinking Big Wheel
(http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.playthingspast.com%2Fem701.ht ml&ei=hXrdRt3GNY_ceqnygLQJ&usg=AFQjCNG2f4cjxsdE4c2lLvZOG1OtjcHndQ&sig2=ueYOJoPcMSWsvpMI6x2TYg)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-04-2007, 11:34
How did those stilts work out in the Mahoosuc Notch?:DAdded Springs and jumped the entire Notch ;)

Jack Tarlin
09-04-2007, 12:08
Hmmmm.....anyone remember Charlton Heston in the Ten Commandments. I seem to remember he carried a pretty good walking staff. Seem to remember this was mentioned in the Bible, too. Likewise, see The Lord's Prayer. In short, carrying a rod or a staff has brought comfort to people for thousands of years, including many a long walker. Moses carried one on his travels for 40-odd years if memory serves.

In short, there's nothing wrong with using a walking stick or two.

Plus, you can part the Red Sea with 'em.

Lion King
09-04-2007, 12:12
Hmmmm.....anyone remember Charlton Heston in the Ten Commandments. I seem to remember he carried a pretty good walking staff. Seem to remember this was mentioned in the Bible, too. Likewise, see The Lord's Prayer. In short, carrying a rod or a staff has brought comfort to people for thousands of years, including many a long walker. Moses carried one on his travels for 40-odd years if memory serves.

But not the Kennebec:D

Rainman
09-04-2007, 12:28
I don't think using hiking poles should invalidate a thru hike.

But, I just can't believe those people who take their pack off every night to sleep. I mean, come on, you haven't really BACKPACKED the WHOLE trail if you walk around camp every night with your pack off. Nope, just can't be a true thru unless you leave your pack on from the moment you leave Springer until the moment you summit Katahdin.

Footslogger
09-04-2007, 12:33
I carried/used trekking poles. I walked to Maine. I'm keeping my rocker and certificate.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it !!

'Slogger

The Weasel
09-04-2007, 12:53
Should opening with a non sequitur invalidate a thru-hike?

A non sequitur should only invalidate something that it invalidates.

The Weasel

The Weasel
09-04-2007, 12:57

Moses failed to complete his thru hike.

The Weasel

Blue Jay
09-04-2007, 13:01
Been busy thru-hiking.

Sorry, I've recently seen every register from NY to NH, your name is not in any of them. Can you say, yellow blaze?

saimyoji
09-04-2007, 13:42
Sorry, I've recently seen every register from NY to NH, your name is not in any of them. Can you say, yellow blaze?

Well, I've been through several shelters sectioning this summer, didn't sign a one. Guess I must have yellow blazed as well. :-?

Sure was easy to get a hitch. :rolleyes:

Johnny Thunder
09-04-2007, 13:52
Does thread drift invalidate information? Tune in for more...

Johnny

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-04-2007, 14:42
I've found the perfect set of hiking poles:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Dinobeingcarried.jpg

mrc237
09-04-2007, 14:49
Ya know what ::::: I think Bill Erwin's hike should be invalidated afterall he didn't see what other hikers seen. :rolleyes:

Johnny Thunder
09-04-2007, 14:50
In 2008 I'm going to hike the trail in Moon Shoes!

Invalid or not I'll have the most fun AND slime people for saying "* ***'* ****". Also, prepare to be deluged when you say you're going to filter some W A T E R.

Johnny

horicon
09-04-2007, 15:04
???? Do you mean hiking Stick?????

taildragger
09-04-2007, 15:10
I'm thinking something along the lines of rickshaw or dog team for a thru. It make might stealth camping harder if my team isn't quite, on the other hand, i can occupy a whole shelter and keep those pesky scouts and mice out

Johnny Thunder
09-04-2007, 15:18
Sherpa.

Duuuuuuuuuu.

oldfivetango
09-04-2007, 17:17
Moses failed to complete his thru hike.

The Weasel

Actually,Weasel,he was denied completion of his thru hike
for a little ole temper tantrum he had which involved a rock
and......his hiking stick.

So I guess you could make the argument that while he was willing
and able to go the distance,his stick cost him the big certificate.
Still made history and the Red Sea thing musta been da bomb!:D
Oldfivetango

Footslogger
09-04-2007, 17:20
I think you should get extra mileage points for using trekking poles ...double mileage points in fact - if you use 2 trekking poles !!

'Slogger

Egads
09-04-2007, 17:39
What? Are we supossed to sign those books in the shelters when we hike thru? I thought they were an emergency supply of T-Paper:p

Egads

Jim Adams
09-04-2007, 17:54

Be careful...the snowshoes slide like snot on bog bridges...trust me!!!!!!:banana

geek

fredmugs
09-25-2007, 09:54

I find mine useful to turn into a large snake that can eat all the other snakes. It also filters all my water for me.

rafe
09-25-2007, 10:20
If trekking poles invalidated thru-hikes, there would be approximately zero successful (ie. completed) thru-hikes nowadays.

Gray Blazer
09-25-2007, 10:35
Hiking poles? Like Lech Walensa or Meathead or (insert any polish person here). Is that PC?

weary
09-25-2007, 10:38
I'm thinking something along the lines of rickshaw or dog team for a thru. It make might stealth camping harder if my team isn't quite, on the other hand, i can occupy a whole shelter and keep those pesky scouts and mice out
Isn't quite what? Don't leave us in suspense.

Tin Man
09-25-2007, 13:44
If trekking poles invalidated thru-hikes, there would be approximately zero successful (ie. completed) thru-hikes nowadays.

Sticks, slacking, yogiing, blue-blazing, etc. What is a "valid" thru-hike?

Johnny Thunder
09-25-2007, 13:48
If I use my brain to levitate a few milimeters above the trail does it count?

Tin Man
09-25-2007, 13:56
If I use my brain to levitate a few milimeters above the trail does it count?

I think the rule is any time you don't have one foot/boot/shoe on the ground your thru is invalid. Therefore, no runners have completed a thru and all speed hikes are invalid along with all van supported hikes.

Johnny Thunder
09-25-2007, 14:13
I think the rule is any time you don't have one foot/boot/shoe on the ground your thru is invalid. Therefore, no runners have completed a thru and all speed hikes are invalid along with all van supported hikes.

No sleeping on thru-hikes?

icemanat95
09-25-2007, 14:49

I used to think that a thru had to be done a certain way to be "valid." That was back when my thru-hike was freshly behind me and it was pretty much the center of my identity. My perspective is a bit different now. It's a vacation, not a military training course or a college degree. Validity is sort of an odd concept when applied to such a thing. The validity of someone's thru hike should be measured by their sense of satisfaction with the trip, not how they hiked it...that's aesthetics.

The ATC sets the standards for what constitutes a valid 2000 miler hike. Says nothing about speedhikes, supported hikes, hiking sticks, hiking poles, etc. If you do the whole thing, either as a continuous trip or a section hike, you're good.

Johnny Thunder
09-25-2007, 14:54
I used to think that a thru had to be done a certain way to be "valid." That was back when my thru-hike was freshly behind me and it was pretty much the center of my identity. My perspective is a bit different now. It's a vacation, not a military training course or a college degree. Validity is sort of an odd concept when applied to such a thing. The validity of someone's thru hike should be measured by their sense of satisfaction with the trip, not how they hiked it...that's aesthetics.

The ATC sets the standards for what constitutes a valid 2000 miler hike. Says nothing about speedhikes, supported hikes, hiking sticks, hiking poles, etc. If you do the whole thing, either as a continuous trip or a section hike, you're good.

Check the forum title, duder.

Tin Man
09-25-2007, 15:33

To clarify, there is no passing white blazes without at least one foot on the ground and you must pass all the white blazes. If you are sleeping while you are hiking, technically you are doing a valid thru-hike as long as you abide by the aforementioned clarification and all the other rules.

horicon
09-25-2007, 16:00
Lets use a broom?? Or a dog sled??

Tin Man
09-25-2007, 16:08
Brooms are often found in shelters, but I don't think they are the flying kind. Well, let me amend that - shelter brooms make the dirt fly and sudden sweeping activity by the guy just starting his section hike is not appreciated by those who have there stuff laid out to dry. I almost invalidated him as well as his section hike.;)

Dog sleds might be ok, but dogs aren't appreciated by many and are illegal on some parts of the trail, so by default dog sleds invalidate a thru hike.:D

DavidNH
09-25-2007, 16:18

Desert Lobster, this has got to be the most rediculous post I have ever read on Whiteblaze.net Do hiking sticks invalidate a thru hike?? Puhleese. Seriously, might as well ask if a thru hike is invalidated by those wearing or not wearing a certain type of footware.

A thru hike is a thru hike and trekking poles only make it a bit easier.

I gotta wonder Desert Lobster..have you ever actually hiked the AT? if so please tell us about it. Me, I am starting to wonder.

DavidNH.

warraghiyagey
09-25-2007, 16:38
Truly a stupid question. Hiking sticks are not a magic carpet. That shouldn't need to be explained to the thickest of individuals.

rafe
09-25-2007, 16:41
I gotta wonder Desert Lobster..have you ever actually hiked the AT? if so please tell us about it. Me, I am starting to wonder.

No wonder here. It's very simple. Desert Lobster = troll.

hopefulhiker
09-25-2007, 16:42
I used hiking poles and also held my farts to help give me that "extra lift" on the uphills.. I think for the most part they are lighter than air...

rafe
09-25-2007, 16:43
Sticks, slacking, yogiing, blue-blazing, etc. What is a "valid" thru-hike?

I presume that question is directed at Desert Lobster.

Lone Wolf
09-25-2007, 16:46
everytime lobster poses a stupid question you meatheads come out of the woodwork and call him names and try to answer with a serious reply. he plays y'all like a cheap fiddle. :cool:

JAK
09-25-2007, 17:11
Hiking poles? Like Lech Walensa or Meathead or (insert any polish person here). Is that PC?I would insert Stanley "Wojo" Wojciehowicz. Loved that show. If he ever hiked the AT it would definitely count.

pure_mahem
09-25-2007, 17:21
If your hiking for validation your hiking for the wrong reason, Hike your own hike! Everyone has there own way of doing everything and that maybe a little different than anyone elses', but who's place is it to sit and be the judge and say that just because they did it a little differently that it was wrong. Iwill not be judged, by anyone here. There is only one judge and I will stand before him someday and he will tell me if what I've done is right. I've hiked a long time and never needed anyone to give me there approval for what I have accomplished. What was accomplished was realized on the first step of many! IMO

Lone Wolf
09-25-2007, 17:23
If your hiking for validation your hiking for the wrong reason, Hike your own hike! Everyone has there own way of doing everything and that maybe a little different than anyone elses', but who's place is it to sit and be the judge and say that just because they did it a little differently that it was wrong. Iwill not be judged, by anyone here. There is only one judge and I will stand before him someday and he will tell me if what I've done is right. I've hiked a long time and never needed anyone to give me there approval for what I have accomplished. What was accomplished was realized on the first step of many! IMO

dude. this is a HUMOR forum. find a sense of:D

The Solemates
09-25-2007, 17:30

didnt carry em once on my (completed) thru-hike.

rafe
09-25-2007, 17:34
didnt carry em once on my (completed) thru-hike.

That's cool. It's OK to be exceptional. ;)

Tin Man
09-25-2007, 17:53
Who's serious? Lobsters are only good for one thing, well maybe two. Native Americans originally used them as fertilizer.... cooked or fertilized, it is all entertainment.

Tin Man
09-25-2007, 17:57
I presume that question is directed at Desert Lobster.

Actually, the question is more directed at why we are questioning the "validity" of a thruhike question. As far as I am concerned the thruhike's validity is only valid in the individual thruhikers mind. No need to prove anything to anyone else.

saimyoji
10-02-2007, 12:59
Desert Lobster, this has got to be the most rediculous post I have ever read on Whiteblaze.net.

Check out the other threads started by DesertLobster. Then check out threads started by his alter-ego Lobster. You'll get the gist.

Meatheads. :rolleyes: Funny stuff this. :D

warraghiyagey
10-02-2007, 13:05
Actually, the question is more directed at why we are questioning the "validity" of a thruhike question. As far as I am concerned the thruhike's validity is only valid in the individual thruhikers mind. No need to prove anything to anyone else.

There is no other truth to this topic than this. Any other argument is from misguided souls who may need a hike instead of a laptop and an abundance of angst for this life.:)

faarside
10-02-2007, 13:43
Yes.

Actually, any thru-hike that doesn't exactly match Earl Shaffer's first thru-hike in every single detail is invalid. You have to carry a military rucksack, wear upland bird shooting boots, and do your thru-hike in 1948, or else it doesn't count.

Bigcranky, I was ok with your requirements, right up to the 1948 part. My spacetime transwarp fraq-flux inducer is still offline for its mid-millenium overhaul. Dang, that maintenance is holding-up my next thru-hike!