PDA

View Full Version : Mountains of the Heart

emerald
09-03-2007, 14:54
Often I've encouraged hikers to study natural history as part of their hike preparation. I believe much can be done to enhance one's knowledge of the natural world and the pleasure derived from it by reading a good book on the subject.

I've recommended The Appalachians by Maurice Brooks to hikers planning an A.T. journey on many occasions. It's a fine book, but perhaps not as readily available as Mountains of the Heart and in some respects not as current.

I would like to encourage everyone who has not read Mountains of the Heart: A Natural History of the Appalachians to read it. I'm hopeful many readers will purchase this book for their own library, borrow a copy from their local library or perhaps even donate a copy to their local library.

Also I've started this thread so that readers might have an opportunity to discuss this book. Posters might point out things they learned by reading this book or ways in which this book changed what they think about The Appalachians and its future.

I envision a wide-ranging discussion that could spawn many other threads and look forward to your participation.

woodsy
09-03-2007, 16:20
Winter is on the horizon, sounds like a good winter read, till then.......

emerald
09-03-2007, 19:19
Weidensaul, Scott. Mountains of the Heart: A Natural History of the Appalachians. Golden, Colo.: Fulcrum Publishing, 1994.

woodsy
09-03-2007, 20:41
Don't know yet if this was mentioned in the book but evidence of the massive ice sheet that once blanketed much of the north and Appalachians is evident in this picture (http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p200/woodsy2007/100_1287.jpg) which I took recently.
The gouges in this outcrop run diagonal to the grain of the rock.
As the glacier moved in a southeasterly direction(direction picture was taken in)the rocks at the bottom of the glacier gouged a trail in the outcrop leaving FIRM evidence of its existence. I would call this a piece of natural history in the Appalachians.:)
Others here may have seen this on mountaintops and outcrops other than in Maine?:-?

emerald
09-03-2007, 21:24
I'd like to read more about how Katahdin is believed to have been formed since it seems so much unlike anything else I've seen. I've located some reading material previously. This winter maybe I should look it up again and post what I can find.

gold bond
09-04-2007, 11:55
Hey Shades....This might be a little off topic but there is a book called Walking with the Ghosts of the Appalachian Trail"...I think thats the correct title I will look when I get home and correct it if need be.
The book is written by JR "Model T" Tate and is a the history of the Appalachian Trail. If you are a history buff it is real good!

shelterbuilder
09-04-2007, 21:21
Don't know yet if this was mentioned in the book but evidence of the massive ice sheet that once blanketed much of the north and Appalachians is evident in this picture (http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p200/woodsy2007/100_1287.jpg) which I took recently.
The gouges in this outcrop run diagonal to the grain of the rock.
As the glacier moved in a southeasterly direction(direction picture was taken in)the rocks at the bottom of the glacier gouged a trail in the outcrop leaving FIRM evidence of its existence. I would call this a piece of natural history in the Appalachians.:)
Others here may have seen this on mountaintops and outcrops other than in Maine?:-?

It's amazing what a little ice can do!:rolleyes:

emerald
09-04-2007, 21:30
Walkin with the Ghost Whisperers

I've heard many people speak highly of his books, although I have not yet read any myself. Thanks for the recommendation.

woodsy
09-05-2007, 07:54
It's amazing what a little ice can do!:rolleyes:

And to back up my picture and remarks about it, here is a link to the place the picture was taken. (http://www.maine.gov/doc/nrimc/mgs/explore/bedrock/mt-blue/objects.htm) Scroll down the page to the Center Hill area for a more thorough description of glacial action.:) Specifically the last two paragraphs.

emerald
09-11-2007, 23:13
woodsy, as you know, the phenomenon you referred to earlier is called glacial striations.

Here's a link (http://nsidc.org/glaciers/gallery/grooves.html) to more information about glaciers and glacial geology you may find interesting.

woodsy
09-12-2007, 08:08
There is alot more of that fancy terminology at this site pertaining to the formation of Mt Katahdin (http://www.maine.gov/doc/nrimc/mgs/explore/bedrock/katahdin/contents.htm)

Pennsylvania Rose
09-12-2007, 12:03
Weidensaul, Scott. Mountains of the Heart: A Natural History of the Appalachians. Golden, Colo.: Fulcrum Publishing, 1994.

Just got this through interlibrary loan. I'll be reading it out on the deck tonight with a cup of tea, enjoying the blessedly cool weather.

emerald
09-12-2007, 13:47
It's a wonderful book Rosie. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

emerald
09-12-2007, 13:52
Anyway, there is alot more of that fancy terminology at this site pertaining to the formation of Mt Katahdin (http://www.maine.gov/doc/nrimc/mgs/explore/bedrock/katahdin/contents.htm).

That bulletin's what I referred to earlier in this thread. I had no idea it was available online. Thank you very much.:)

Cannibal
09-12-2007, 13:57
I've heard many people speak highly of his books, although I have not yet read any myself. Thanks for the recommendation.

Walkin with the Ghost Whisperers is a great book! It has added AT LEAST one week to my thru plan by teasing me with some "historical" sites to visit just off the trail. I just like being able to recongize things that most would walk past without knowing that something of importance/relevance was there.

emerald
09-12-2007, 14:00
Mountains of the Heart begins with the origins of The Appalachians. Maybe we should stick with that subject matter for now and could allow the thread to proceed in the sequence Scott presents the information.

I'll add more links soon if not later today and the chapter titles and sequence so that readers might have a better idea where I hope this thread is headed.

woodsy
09-12-2007, 14:07
That's the document I referred to earlier in this thread. I had no idea it was available online. Thank you very much.:)
I figured that, your very welcome. Interesting reading, cool pictures too.:cool:

shelterbuilder
09-12-2007, 19:43

For anyone local (Eastern Pa.) who is interested, I believe that Weidensaul is speaking in Pottsville, Pa. on Oct. 6th.