PDA

View Full Version : Duncannon to Pearisburg

honu
09-04-2007, 10:50
I skipped this section last year and am headed out in a week or so to pick it up. Anything out-of-the-ordinary (good or bad) this season that it would be helpful for me to be aware of? Thanks.

gumball
09-05-2007, 05:37
We just came out of Daleville from a Pearisburg to Daleville trip. I can't comment on the conditions North of here, but we encountered quite a bit of dryness. Several shelters were without water sources, and there were many streams dried up. On the first day out of Pearisburg, we went about 19 miles before we hit water. It was quite a long day, temps near 90. We ended up carrying extra whenever we could find it due to the conditions.

Gum

BlackCloud
09-05-2007, 20:16
If it had been pooring for three weeks, one would not find much water north of Pearisburg.

Central VA is great. No people, lots a views, lots a climbing....

gumball
09-06-2007, 05:07
If it had been pooring for three weeks, one would not find much water north of Pearisburg.

Central VA is great. No people, lots a views, lots a climbing....

:) Usually I post here before a trip and ask about such things...not sure why I didn't this time, but every trip is a lesson learned. Yes, we did not see another individual other than the three of us the entire time we were out. Climbs were good, but not overwhelming. There was fog obscuring some of the views, but it was still a very nice hike. VA has been our favorite state for hiking in so far.

Worst days on trail (with or without water) better than best days behind my desk. :)

honu
09-06-2007, 11:06
Thanks for the information. I'll pay attention to the water situation. Sounds like a nice hike. Just hoping the cold weather holds off.

trippclark
09-06-2007, 11:17
I'd agree with the water concerns. Back in June I hiked the 72 mile section from Pearisburg to Catawba and was alarmed at how scarce water sources were. I elaborated on this in my journal at trailjournals.com.