PDA

View Full Version : hammock archives

squirrel bait
11-04-2003, 22:53
So I don't ask questions that most surely have been covered, is there a way to access older forum questions? I believe it states some 200+ replies and I have had no luck finding them. Being new to the hammock hangers I sure would like to read the old posts. Thank you.:confused:

attroll
11-05-2003, 02:39
You could use the search button and search for a phrase or a word if that would help. That will bring up every message that has that phrase or word in it.

Crash
11-05-2003, 10:12
But Hammockers love to chat about our hammocking, so go ahead and ask. Besides the more hammock threads we have, the more we can bring others over to our side. Hammocking is real still in it the start up stages. We need to get the message out since national magazine ignores hammocking.

squirrel bait
11-05-2003, 10:36
Okay, how about the use of snakeskins with hammocks. Is it that much easier taking up and down a hammock with these? Worth the price? Is that what there used for?

Kerosene
11-05-2003, 11:30
Yes, by all means take advantage of those snakeskins! I believe that someone on this board sewed their own at a cost of a few bucks, but I still think they're worth the price and additional weight. My only gripe is that you end up with a mass of "spaghetti" to pack rather than a nice, neat package, but that's really no big deal.

deeddawg
11-05-2003, 11:31
Snakeskins...

I don't own them and I'm still a "beginning" hammocker with a whopping eight nights swinging in the trees since I got my REI Scratch & Dent sale Hennessy Expedition 2.5 in September.

I'm not sure if I'll buy a set or not. So far I've been pretty successful so far with rolling the hammock into itself similar to how you prep for sliding the skins over it, then rolling up one side of the fly, and wrapping the other side around the whole kit, with a couple wraps of the fly's guy line to hold in place.

I then untie/release the foot end from its tree and sort of stuff/fold the wrapped up hammock into its stuff sack, ending at the head end. I do it this way so I know that the head end is always first out of the sack and can set up without the hammock touching the potentially wet ground.

I too would be curious to hear what others think -- like I said I'm a relative newbie to this hammocking thing. :)

JimSproul
11-05-2003, 12:18
I am messing with a Hennessy as well. I am using snakeskins on the hammock but not the tarp. I hang the tarp first and take it down last to give me a dry place to work. I like the snakeskins because it keeps Texas mud (read that as clay) off the hammock. I can pack it pretty clean and go.

Also I have been carrying a larger tarp that the one that came with my Asym Backpacker. I costs me a pound or so but it gives me more options it I hit a long wet spell.

I like the quick setup, light weight and comfort but I am not ready to sell my solo tent just yet. I want to rider out a bad storm or two before I commit.

squirrel bait
11-05-2003, 12:20
Thanks ya all I can operate the search mode now, works great. What a wealth of information. Slowly into your life it will creep, the hammock in which you will sleep..........

brian
11-05-2003, 15:43
If you dont want to incur the $20 cost for paying for snake skins...I make "storage Skins", almost identical to the snake skins, on ebay. They start @ $10. Theres one up right now. Just search for 'hennessy hammock' on ebay.

Brian
Future Thru Hiker 2013

flyfisher
11-29-2003, 20:50
Yes, by all means take advantage of those snakeskins! I believe that someone on this board sewed their own at a cost of a few bucks, but I still think they're worth the price and additional weight. My only gripe is that you end up with a mass of "spaghetti" to pack rather than a nice, neat package, but that's really no big deal.
Hi,

That may be me. See:

http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/hammocktube.htm

They are easy to make in about 10 minutes with a sewing machine. Great first project. As easy as a stuff sack.

I put the hammock in the hammock tubes and then stuff the whole thing in a stuff sack. When I get it out, I can lay the tube on the ground without worrying about getting the hammock wet or dirty.

Risk