PDA

View Full Version : Hemlock Springs Campsite (NY)

John Klein
09-04-2007, 18:13
Anyone ever camp there? It's a little bit north of the Hudson River after Bear Mountain but before Graymoor Monastery. I'm curious whether:

There's a reliable water source
There's a fire ring
Any signs of parties/vandalism by locals? (I remember a post about Shenandoah Tenting area between Fahnestock and RPH shelter in NY where this was an issue)

Thanks.

LIhikers
09-05-2007, 07:59
I've camped there a few times over the years. There's a small stream north of there on the trail, closer to the road crossing than the camp site. I've never seen the usual signs of partying. As for the fire ring, it's not something I'd notice as the wife and I don't build fires.

JohnnyBongo
09-05-2007, 13:35
I was at Hemlock about a month ago. There was not water available at the site when I camped there. The campground is pretty sparse, there were a couple of fire rings. I didn't see evidence of any partying or schenanigans, but the site is close to a road, so anything is possible. The only advantage of the campsite is that it's half way between Garrison and Peekskill on Hudson Line of Metro North. I hiked from the Garrison station through the Castle Rock Area, and connected with the AT a couple of miles above the campground. I spent the night there, then traveled down the Camp Smith trail in the morning to Peekskill. The view from Anthony's Nose on the Smith trail was excellent with Bear Mountain Bridge below. Though, I doubt I would camp there again.

Rambler
09-05-2007, 20:53
I arrived at that campsite in the dark and found just a trickle of water crossing the trail just south of the tentsite. (2005) It was not close enough to the road to hear traffic noise, but train whistles were constant.

John Klein
09-06-2007, 18:06
I was at Hemlock about a month ago. There was not water available at the site when I camped there. The campground is pretty sparse, there were a couple of fire rings. I didn't see evidence of any partying or schenanigans, but the site is close to a road, so anything is possible. The only advantage of the campsite is that it's half way between Garrison and Peekskill on Hudson Line of Metro North. I hiked from the Garrison station through the Castle Rock Area, and connected with the AT a couple of miles above the campground. I spent the night there, then traveled down the Camp Smith trail in the morning to Peekskill. The view from Anthony's Nose on the Smith trail was excellent with Bear Mountain Bridge below. Though, I doubt I would camp there again.
I see you live in NY. (I used to). If you were going to camp overnight on the AT in NY east of the Hudson, where would you go?

LIhikers
09-06-2007, 19:06
On the AT in NY, east of the Hudson, how about Greymoor Friary? There's room for tenting at the RPH shelter plus there's water and a privy there too.

JohnnyBongo
09-06-2007, 20:58
Hiking on the AT in New York for me is limited by public transport. The train station near Pawling is a good starting place for an out and back overnight. Telephone Pioneers shelter looked alright last time I went up Cat's Rock, but's only a short hike from the station. The Morgan Stewart and Wiley shelters are ~10 miles in either direction from the station, which make for good weekends away from the city.

Rambler
09-08-2007, 21:20
There are several daily buses from Delaware Gap to and from NYC Bus Terminal (Port Authority) a few blocks from Grand Central Station.

JohnnyBongo
09-08-2007, 22:05
Thanks for the tip Rambler, I'll check that one out.

GalHikingTheGap
08-11-2010, 22:26
xxxxxxxxxx

Maple Leaf
08-12-2010, 11:14
any updates on the water in this camp?
is the stream dried up?

couscous
08-12-2010, 11:20
See Hemlock Spring E. of Hudson (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64333) thread.

Maple Leaf
08-12-2010, 14:01
that works. thanks :)

Dwald01
08-18-2010, 22:12
Was there two weeks ago. No water - springs dry. Fire ring, plenty of fire wood. No vandalism.