PDA

View Full Version : 2000 thru hiker Moxie has died

weary
09-04-2007, 18:43
Moxie, an active White Blaze participant, a 2000 thru hiker, a member of the Maine Legislature and a director of the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust died over the weekend from complications from the treatment of lung cancer.

Moxie's (AKA Deane Jones) was elected to the Maine Legislature in June after having been defeated by a narrow margin last fall -- after the Republican winner had died in a ski accident.

Deane's death is a tremendous loss to White Blaze, the State of Maine and the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust.

Weary www.matlt.org

Mags
09-04-2007, 18:48
Very sad. My condolences to his friends and family. He'll be missed in our little neck of cyber space.

Jim Adams
09-04-2007, 18:51
Sorry to hear Weary. He will be missed.

geek

Lone Wolf
09-04-2007, 18:52
at a loss for words. sad. best wishes of course to Moxie's family.

Dances with Mice
09-04-2007, 18:57
Oh, no. That's too sad. I met him on the first day of his thru-hike.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-04-2007, 18:59
Very sorry to hear this. Prayers for his family and for you, Weary.

beeman
09-04-2007, 19:05
May he walk with his Creator and rest in peace. My sincere condolences to his family for their loss.

The Old Fhart
09-04-2007, 19:05
What a shock! I enjoyed hiking some with Moxie in 2000 and meeting him at the hiker feeds up at the Forks. He was one of the few people I knew on the trail who could say "Oh Ma Gawd" in his Maine accent and do it justice. His posts on WB were always entertaining and thoughtful. He will be missed.

Tha Wookie
09-04-2007, 19:10
This might be premature, but is there any fund set up for MATLT in Moxie's name?

God rest his soul.

Phreak
09-04-2007, 20:31
My prayers go out to his family.

Skidsteer
09-04-2007, 20:36
Very sad news. I always enjoyed his posts and would've liked the chance to meet him.

I'll pray for his family and friends in this time of grief.

rickb
09-04-2007, 20:41
Sad news indeed.

Alligator
09-04-2007, 20:42
Very sad news. I too enjoyed his posts and admired his spirit. He decided he wanted to make a difference and went out and got elected. My condolences to all of his family and friends.

Johnny Swank
09-04-2007, 20:46
Oh man, that's just horrible news. Met him in 2000 - what a very, very cool guy. My condolences.

shelterbuilder
09-04-2007, 20:58
My condolences to his family.

emerald
09-04-2007, 21:08
Thanks for informing us weary. His passing is surely a loss to many.

Miss Janet
09-04-2007, 21:16
What a nice man. He brought me a "Moxie" because I said I had never had one. Then he didn't take offense when I told him it was horrible! I hope his family knows we are all thinking about them.

Trillium
09-04-2007, 21:25
I, too, enjoyed Moxie's posts very much. I mostly lurk since I'm not that experienced and am looking for info. Moxie's posts were helpful while also entertaining.

Here's a great post he wrote on 3/8/06:

One year, and loving it
:banana It was one year ago tonight that I first signed onto Whiteblaze. I was amazed that within a day I was acknowledged by Dances With Mice, The Old Fhart, and Jester-friends I had met on my thru hike. Within a few days I contacted Baltimore Jack, Lone Wolf and old buddy Blister Sister. It is amazing what a great family we all become from being out there on the trail. As days went by I found more and more friends from the trail and I started making new ones I had never met. I was especially amazed when AT Troll, our webmaster, told me how we had met seven years on Old Spec and I remembered that meeting. Troll, you and Rock have developed the best AT website ever. We fight, agree, exchange ideas, call each other ass h**** but also show great respect for each others ideas and thoughts. I don't expect this thread to go very far but I just wanted to start it to tell all of you how much I enjoy your great company and ideas. Happy trails and thanks. I hope we have many more great years together.
Rest in peace, Moxie.

weary
09-04-2007, 21:25
This from the Maine Legislature:

Democratic Leaders mourn the loss of Rep. Deane Jones

Jones was the newest member of the House, third loss in the 123rd Legislature

AUGUSTA – House Speaker Glenn Cummings and House Majority Leader Hannah Pingree expressed their shock and sadness Tuesday, following the sudden death of the newest member of the House of Representatives, Democrat Rep. Deane Jones of Mount Vernon.

“Deane’s death is a devastating blow and a tremendous loss for his family and friends, for a community which has already been through so much, and for Maine,” said Cummings. “We send our hearts, our thoughts and our deepest sympathies to his wife Pat and to his two sons.”

"Deane brought energy, creativity and a positive outlook on the future to his work in the Legislature,” said Pingree. “Our state has lost a loyal and dedicated advocate for Maine people, and he will be dearly missed."

Jones was serving his first term in the House of Representatives, having only been sworn in on June 13, just days before the Legislature adjourned for the summer. Jones was seated in the House after winning a special election held to fill the vacant seat left by the sudden death of Rep. Abigail Holman R-Fayette.

“When he took his seat in the House of Representatives this summer, he did so with incredible energy, enthusiasm and passion,” said Cummings. “He quickly became an important part of our team, a close friend, and a symbol of the hope and optimism we all hope to bring to the State House. This leaves us with a tremendous sense of loss.”

Jones passed away unexpectedly on Monday, as a result of complications during treatment for lung cancer at the age of 69. Jones and his family received the diagnosis for lung cancer just weeks ago, after complaints of a respiratory ailment following a trip to China. His treatment for lung cancer had just begun.

Jones’ death follows the loss of two other sitting House members this year, with the unexpected deaths of Rep. Abigail Holman , R-Fayette, and Rep. Earl Richardson, R- Greenville.

“This Legislature has witnessed so many sad losses, it is difficult to endure another,” said Cummings. “We are in many respects a family and it is with a heavy sadness that we feel the weight of each of our missing friends and colleagues.”

Jones was a Waterville native who graduated from Waterville High School and then University of Maine in Orono with a bachelor’s in history and government. Jones also served in the United States Air Force. When Jones moved to Mount Vernon he was elected to the town’s select board, a position he held for the 18 years.

After retiring from a long career in the printing and graphic arts business, Jones a registered Master Maine guide, hiked the entire length of the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine.

Rep. Jones is survived by his wife Pat, his two sons, Patrick and Michael, and his grandchildren.
###

FWIW. For the curious, Glenn Cummings is the grandson of an uncle.

Weary

SGT Rock
09-04-2007, 21:31
Seems like he was just posting the other day.

God rest his soul and protect his kin.

Jimmers
09-04-2007, 21:36
I only knew Moxie through his posts here and stories I've heard from Jester, but I think I would have really liked him had I met him.

Godspeed Moxie.

dixicritter
09-04-2007, 21:46
Oh how very sad! Sending my best wishes to his family. What a shock!

chief
09-04-2007, 22:07
This is a shock. I hiked some with Moxie in 2000, he was a good guy. My condolences to his family.

mobileman
09-04-2007, 22:25
My condolences to Moxie's family. I did not personaly know him, but as a member of the Whiteblaze family and the AT, he will be missed. Iwonder if it would be appropriate for attrol or someone to send a short note to his family with a list of all the whiteblazers wishing him happy trails among the clouds.

Outlaw
09-04-2007, 22:33
I remember Moxie's first post after winning the election and how proud he was to become a representative of his fine state. He will truly be missed by so many, as he touched so many lives. My sincerest condolences to his family.

attroll
09-05-2007, 05:54
This has hit me very hard. I met Moxie the year before his thru hike on Old Speck in Maine. It was my first weekend overnight hike on the AT and we were heading to Speck Pond and Moxie was coming down. We stopped and talk to each other for some time. He told me about his thru hike that he was going to do and gave me some tips on my pack and hiking boots. He was the one that got me into this obsession with the Appalachian Trail. If not Moxie who knows what I would be doing today. It might now be running WhiteBlaze. This is a scary thought for me because I live and dream and talk the AT every day. The AT is my life now and I could not think of any other people I enjoy being around more. Moxie will be very greatly missed. This is very shocking to me. I am hit hard by this. Death really sucks.

Minerva
09-05-2007, 07:10
I am shocked and saddened to read this. I got to know Moxie from the ole Rainmaker "Chat Free or Die" days. I had given him directions from the Trail to my house and one day he arrived at my doorstep while on his Thru. He hadn't showered since NY. Slacked him over Killington.......Thanks for the memories Moxie......My thoughts and prayers are with his family during this difficult time.
MrsGorp

Wonder
09-05-2007, 07:27
I'm so very sorry to hear about this loss. I never met him, but it is always sad when we lose one of our hiking family. My thoughts and prayers are with his family, and all of you who loved him.

woodsy
09-05-2007, 07:32
Very sad news indeed. I had noticed that he hadn't posted here in recent weeks. But who would have thought this.
I will miss his story telling and sense of humor here.
He was also, among many other things, a trail maintainer in the Saddleback area.
My condolences to all those affected by this untimely loss.

Mother Nature
09-05-2007, 07:44
It has stunned me to learn of Moxie's death. Moxie has been an AT friend for many many years. He sent me a picture of his fist raised pride standing on Katahdin as he completed the trail in 2000. His early struggle with pneumonia as he started that hike in 2000 nearly ended his trip before it began but he struggled on to succeed. It is taped to my monitor still as inspiration.

His emails and letters inspired me to keep trying when I faced physical adversity. His last emails told of his joy at getting into politics. I feel like I have lost a member of my own family.

My heartfelt condolences to his family. The world has lost a true friend and the AT has lost a great adventurer and advocate.

MN

Krewzer
09-05-2007, 08:55
Sad news.

Many hope to be remembered so fondly. Farewell Moxie.

Ewker
09-05-2007, 09:12
I just knew him from his post on WB. Rest in Peace Moxie

weary
09-05-2007, 09:20
Deane was a founding director and an active member of the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust. He spent many hours working through the land trust to protect the high peaks region of Maine through which the AT passes.

People can join in the effort that Moxie loved by opening www.matlt.org

Weary

leeki pole
09-05-2007, 09:46
My condolences to his family. I, too never met him, but enjoyed his posts and his sense of humor. He truly was a hero of our Trail. God bless.

peanuts
09-05-2007, 09:56
my condolences to his family. hes post were a hoot to read.
godspeed to you moxie!!! now you can hike all the trails with.........

MOWGLI
09-05-2007, 09:59
May he RIP. My condolences to his family. I regret that I never had the opportunity to meet him.

the goat
09-05-2007, 10:27
the trail & WB have both lost a dear friend.

peace to his family.

Cannibal
09-05-2007, 10:36
RIP Moxie.

Pennsylvania Rose
09-05-2007, 10:52
My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

DiamondDoug
09-05-2007, 12:32
I met Moxie somewhere in Georgia. After a couple of zero days he got ahead of me, but I saw him again just north of US 64 outside of Franklin, NC. I stopped for water at the Siler's Bald shelter and he was spending the night there while I went on up to the bald.

The next day I stopped at Cold Spring shelter for lunch. Cold Spring is one of the old old shelters on the trail, rated for six people. It started to rain while I was there, so I decided I was done hiking for the day, that I could make it to the NOC the next day.

Those of you who hiked in years other than 2000 have no idea of the sheer number of hikers that started that year. The shelter filled up quickly, and soon the 8 of us inside were making room for a 9th who said he would sleep long ways across the foot of the shelter. After that hikers who came by had to tent - there just wasn't room.

About dark Moxie arrived, hiking slowly up the long, gradual hill from Burningtown Gap. He was wet, cold and hypothermic. We made room for him in the shelter; the 9th person scrunched up a bit and Moxie slept going the other way at the foot of the shelter. We had ten of us that night in a shelter rated for six!

I saw Moxie the next day at the NOC. He was in high spirits and thanked me for making room for him the night before. He told me to be sure to try Moxie cola when I got to Maine (I did) and I sure thought about him when I got to Moxie Pond.

Moxie was one of the first people welcoming me to White Blaze when I surfed in a few years ago. He reminded me that I had told everyone while hiking that I was unemployed and was going to get a job as a baggage handler for the airlines when I finished my thru. He was one of the people I met while hiking that I felt I could sit down with over a meal seven years later and it would have felt like yesterday we had last seen each other.

Farewell, friend.

Jack Tarlin
09-05-2007, 17:00
Weary:

First off, thank you for sending this along.

I knew Mox pretty well. He was great company, a great guy to be around, and a great hiker. I never heard him raise his voice, never hard him speak an ill word of anyone, and never heard him complain. He loved hiking, loved the Trail, and was a joy to be around.

Weary.....if possible, please send along an address in case anyone here who knew him wants to send a card or note to his family. Thanks.

ed bell
09-05-2007, 19:21
Moxie, R.I.P. I always enjoyed his contributions to this website community, and I was shocked to hear of his passing. My prayers to his family and friends.

The Weasel
09-05-2007, 20:12
He has ascended another peak, and his trail is now level, and one I hope we can all follow with the grace that he showed.

The Weasel
GA->VA '00

slingblade
09-05-2007, 20:17
I had the pleasure of hiking with Moxie back in 2000. He was one I really looked forward to seeing on the trail as well as in the registers. Always clever and humerous with his words. My favorite was from Partnership shelter which I can recite from memory, "The next ultra-lightest that comments on my pack weight, I'm going to rip out their heart and roast it over their last half ounce of denatured alcohol". We would share e-mails in the years following. Our plan was to hike his favorite spots in Maine and mine in North Carolina. He will be missed. God Bless Moxie.

Jester2000
09-05-2007, 20:18
Am in shock. Going offline. Will post when I've gotten it together.

weary
09-05-2007, 20:43
Weary:

First off, thank you for sending this along.

I knew Mox pretty well. He was great company, a great guy to be around, and a great hiker. I never heard him raise his voice, never hard him speak an ill word of anyone, and never heard him complain. He loved hiking, loved the Trail, and was a joy to be around.

Weary.....if possible, please send along an address in case anyone here who knew him wants to send a card or note to his family. Thanks.

Deane Jones
172 Wings Mills Road
Mount Vernon, Maine 04352

Weary, Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust, www.matlt.org

Skidsteer
09-05-2007, 21:11
Deane was a founding director and an active member of the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust. He spent many hours working through the land trust to protect the high peaks region of Maine through which the AT passes.

People can join in the effort that Moxie loved by opening www.matlt.org (http://www.matlt.org)

Weary

Deane Jones
172 Wings Mills Road

Weary, Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust, www.matlt.org (http://www.matlt.org)

Weary hasn't spelled it out so I will.

White Blazer's that are so inclined may visit www.matlt.org (http://www.matlt.org/) and show support by giving an honorarium to Matlt "In Memory Of" Deane 'Moxie' Jones. There is a field provided in the Donation page that allows you to specify who you would like to honor.

There is also a space to list those you would like to notify of the gift; For instance:

The family of Deane 'Moxie' Jones
172 Wings Mills Road

Thank you, Weary, for posting the info.

gypsy
09-05-2007, 22:28
oh how sad!!! I'm not sure if I met him in '00 or not. Peace, love, and comfort to his family.

Jan LiteShoe
09-05-2007, 22:37
No! I didn't even know he was sick. Very sad news, and I wish his family well.

Gaiter
09-06-2007, 00:22
so sad...
my condolences to his family

TJ aka Teej
09-06-2007, 07:23
Maine and the AT community have lost a good man, the finest kind.

weary
09-06-2007, 09:38
No! I didn't even know he was sick. Very sad news, and I wish his family well.
Nor did he until a few weeks ago. Moxie and his wife returned from a summer trip to China. He suddenly had difficulty breathing and was diagnosed with incurable lung cancer. Another tobacco victim.

I last saw him at a Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust board meeting last spring. He was enthusiastic as usual about his planned trip, his election to the Legislature and our land trust efforts. His passing is a tragedy.

Weary www.matlt.org

SGT Rock
09-06-2007, 13:31
I just saw this pop up on the Whiteblaze RSS article feed:

http://morningsentinel.mainetoday.com/view/columns/4249717.html

Deane Jones' irrepressible spirit
http://morningsentinel.mainetoday.com/images/kjmscredit.gif

Deane Jones didn't just walk into a room. He blew into it, charged his way through the door and placed himself smack in front of you, an undeniable, white-haired force of a man. Now, sadly, he's gone.

We first met Jones when he barreled through our conference room door, all pink cheeks and smiles and cheerful energy. He was there to convince us to endorse his candidacy for the seat he eventually won after two tries and the unfortunate death of the previous incumbent, Abigail Holman. It was a seat he campaigned for, vigorously: This last election he knocked on 3,000 doors in just five weeks, traveling house to house on his trademark red scooter.
We had no doubt that Jones would transfer the strength and commitment he brought to his 18 years as a Mount Vernon selectman to his role representing House District 83. If this man had hiked the entire Appalachian Trail, surely he could handle legislative gridlock and assaults by lobbyists. Jones was on his way to establishing himself as a lawmaker when, this week, he was felled by lung cancer. It's hard to imagine someone so vibrant and vital being stopped in his tracks that way. We take comfort in the hope that perhaps Jones has found new campaign possibilities, and will soon be found running for whatever celestial body governs things on high. We will miss him down here.

Creek Dancer
09-06-2007, 14:09
I never met him, but based on the posts here, I wish I had.

Go rest high on that mountain Moxie....

Heater
09-06-2007, 14:18
Sad news. :(

I enjoyed reading his posts and he had the greatest avatar.

Please post your pics the the "In Memory Of" thread on the Gallery homepage.

Gallery Link (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/index.php?)

SGT Rock
09-06-2007, 14:33
Here is a link to the picture of him I moved to that gallery.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=8676

Jester2000
09-06-2007, 19:40
The spotted hawk swoops by and accuses me--he complains of my gab and
my loitering.

I too am not a bit tamed--I too am untranslatable;
I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world.

The last scud of day holds back for me;
It flings my likeness after the rest, and true as any, on the
shadow'd wilds;
It coaxes me to the vapor and the dusk.

I depart as air--I shake my white locks at the runaway sun;
I effuse my flesh in eddies, and drift it in lacy jags.

I bequeathe myself to the dirt, to grow from the grass I love;
If you want me again, look for me under your boot-soles.

You will hardly know who I am, or what I mean;
But I shall be good health to you nevertheless,
And filter and fibre your blood.

Failing to fetch me at first, keep encouraged;
Missing me one place, search another;
I stop somewhere, waiting for you.

Moxie -- I will miss you then as much as now. Godspeed.

The Old Fhart
09-06-2007, 19:57
Jester, nice Walt Whitman quote

I also think Psalm 121, "I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills" is fitting as well.

Jester2000
09-06-2007, 20:22
I also think Psalm 121, "I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills" is fitting as well.

No, no, no, OF. If we're going to get all biblical, we need to Quote Deuteronomy, Chapter 23, which Moxie and I often chuckled over, and which we titled, "God Instructs the Jews on Pooping in the Woods":

"12: Thou shalt have a place also without the camp, whither thou shalt go forth abroad:
13: And thou shalt have a paddle upon thy weapon; and it shall be, when thou wilt ease thyself abroad, thou shalt dig therewith, and shalt turn back and cover that which cometh from thee:
14: For the LORD thy God walketh in the midst of thy camp, to deliver thee, and to give up thine enemies before thee; therefore shall thy camp be holy: that he see no unclean thing in thee, and turn away from thee."

Moxie's favorite phrase was "ease thyself abroad."

The Old Fhart
09-06-2007, 20:41
Jester-"No, no, no, OF. If we're going to get all biblical, we need to Quote Deuteronomy, Chapter 23, which Moxie and I often chuckled over, and which we titled, "God Instructs the Jews on Pooping in the Woods":"
I had seen that before on WB. Although I can just see Moxie and you laughing wicked hard about verses 12-14, I believe the two of you would have almost soiled youselves if you'd also read the previous two verses which I don't dare post here in english!
23:10. Si fuerit inter vos homo qui nocturno pollutus sit somnio egredietur extra castra
23:11. Et non revertetur priusquam ad vesperam lavetur aqua et post solis occasum regredietur in castra

Moxie's sense of humor really defined him. He will be missed by so many people both on and off the trail.

Jester2000
09-06-2007, 20:49
I had seen that before on WB. Although I can just see Moxie and you laughing wicked hard about verses 12-14, I believe the two of you would have almost soiled youselves if you'd also read the previous two verses which I don't dare post here in english!
23:10. Si fuerit inter vos homo qui nocturno pollutus sit somnio egredietur extra castra
23:11. Et non revertetur priusquam ad vesperam lavetur aqua et post solis occasum regredietur in castra

We liked that one too, although we could never decide to what "soiling oneself in the night" referred, as that was what it said in my version of the Bible. Some times I liked to stay a day behind Moxie so I could read his register entries. They were priceless. For those who have enjoyed him on Whiteblaze, well, they were better than his posts here. If you can believe that.

buckowens
09-06-2007, 21:01
Sure sorry to hear that. Prayers to his family, and may they know how much he touched the lives of others.

weary
09-07-2007, 12:06
Moxie was a giver, not a taker throughout his life. He served his town for 18 years as a Selectman (essentially an elected lowly paid town manager), was a member of his town's planning board and twice ran for the Maine Legislature (annual salary about $8,000 for six months of sessions and countless hours of committee meetings and strategy meetings in between sessions.)

His last race was successful, thanks to riding a red motor scooter door to door and knocking on 3,000 of them.

And of course he was a founding director of the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust, devoting hundreds of hours providing buffers for the narrow trail corridor in Maine.

I invite those who have praised Moxie so eloquently, to also emulate his life of giving. The wildness of the Maine trail he loved remains threatened. The land is mostly owned by investors. It's all for sale. The question that remains is who will be the buyers, trail lovers, or condo developers.

You can help make that decision, as Deane did so skillfully with our purchase of Abraham and some of the critical slopes of Saddleback. Just open www.matlt.org

Weary, President, Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust.

weary
09-07-2007, 12:09
Moxie was a giver, not a taker throughout his life. He served his town for 18 years as a Selectman (essentially an elected lowly paid part time board of town managers), was a member of his town's planning board and twice ran for the Maine Legislature (annual salary about $8,000 for six months of sessions and countless hours of committee meetings and strategy meetings between sessions.)

His last race was successful, thanks to riding a red motor scooter door to door and knocking on 3,000 of them.

And of course he was a founding director of the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust, devoting hundreds of hours and hundreds of dollars providing buffers for the narrow trail corridor in Maine.

I invite those who have praised Moxie so eloquently, to also emulate his life of giving. The wildness of the Maine trail he loved remains threatened. The land is mostly owned by investors. It's all for sale. The question that remains is who will be the buyers, trail lovers, or condo developers.

You can help make that decision, as Deane did so skillfully with our purchase of Abraham and some of the critical slopes of Saddleback. Just open www.matlt.org

Weary, President, Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust.

WILLIAM HAYES
09-08-2007, 18:54
There is a path no simple highway somewhere between the dawn and the dark of night and if you go no one may follow for it is for your foot steps alone
Rest in peace. all of us will see you down the trail one day

Hillbilly

TOW
09-09-2007, 10:11
Moxie, an active White Blaze participant, a 2000 thru hiker, a member of the Maine Legislature and a director of the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust died over the weekend from complications from the treatment of lung cancer.

Moxie's (AKA Deane Jones) was elected to the Maine Legislature in June after having been defeated by a narrow margin last fall -- after the Republican winner had died in a ski accident.

Deane's death is a tremendous loss to White Blaze, the State of Maine and the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust.

Weary www.matlt.org (http://www.matlt.org)

I'm not sure, but I do think I met him one time. My condolences to his family and my apology for not checking to see if someone had alreday posted something about his death before I posted today.

walkin' wally
09-09-2007, 18:08
He knew my parents and older sisters. We were supposed to meet at last year's Whiteblaze Feed in Caratunk. I never got to meet him.

Godspeed Moxie

Kirby
09-09-2007, 21:16
The hiking community and the people of the State of maine have lost a great person, I send my best wishes to his family as they work through this difficult time.

Kirby

weary
09-09-2007, 21:25
There is a path no simple highway somewhere between the dawn and the dark of night and if you go no one may follow for it is for your foot steps alone. ...
A powerful thought, Hillbilly.

But one of the trails Moxie followed was the AT in Maine, which he supported as a maintainer, and as a founding director of the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust. We can follow him at least partway by helping to support the trail he loved, which is under increasing threat.

Weary, www.matlt.org

Waterbuffalo
09-10-2007, 20:35
Many Prayers to his family and Thanks for all his service

Cookerhiker
09-11-2007, 18:00
I've been out hiking and off WhiteBlaze for about a month so I just read this today. I'm saddened for Moxie's family. I always enjoyed his posts. May he rest in peace.