PDA

View Full Version : please help with lighter footweat question

Erin
09-04-2007, 21:04
Hi Ladies, I love my heavy leather vasque sundowners and they did me well on the AT and I have worn them for years, but I am trying to dump some weight. I had a hysterectomy three weeks ago and have been OK'd to do my pre planned and paid for and permit granted Grand Canyon trip in mid October, but I know I need rethink the really heavy leather boot. I have never done trail shoes, boots. Any suggestions? I was looking at the North Face adrenalines, since they are lighter and offer ankle support. I am doing the big down and back up over a couple days and plan to carry lite. As in less than 20 lbs most of it water. I learned on the AT not to carry so much stuff. I am five feet one, a size seven boot, what they call "solid", have high arches. Any help will be appreciated. Also any help on how to get back what I had before the big H when I get "released" to do anything in late September. For you other ladies looking at this in the near future, the fact that I hike has meant that I am already back at work at day 17 instead of the usual six weeks, but I do have a desk job. You can't lift anything, but they let you walk as much as you can. Thanks!
Signed, Erin "done with packing out femine products"

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-04-2007, 21:43
Post menopausal she-dino feels your joy re not packing out napkins and tampons or having to mess with a Diva cup.

As fo footwear, shoes are packs are sort of like cars. Go to an outfitter or sports shoe store and try on several pairs. Trail runners don't require breaking in so they should feel good when you put them on.

I'll leave recommendations about the high arches to others. My favorite runners are Salomon XA Pro 3D (http://www.salomonoutdoor.com/us/products/XA-Pro-3D-W-2-51-1-0-433775.html) and Asics GEL-Ohana Racer (http://www.asicsamerica.com/products/product.aspx?PRODUCT_ID=240007273&TITLE_CATEGORY_ID=250001626).

Marta
09-04-2007, 21:54
My suggestion is to go to a good running shoe store and go through their fitting process. Make sure they know you want trail runners, and that you want plenty of toe room.

Good luck...

Marta/Five-Leaf

Farr Away
09-04-2007, 22:08
I second the Asics; I have the Gel Nimbus - lots of cushion.

lovemycladdagh
09-16-2007, 11:33
I am a die-hard fan of the Timberland Cadions with goretex. They're $140, but they feel like sneakers on my feet! they're so light, perfectly waterproof, decent at "breathing". There is memory foam around the ankles, so there's no "break-in". the boot is soft, but you can lace it up and adjust the fit, and i've taken them on every hike the last couple years. I recently did an 80 mile solo with them over 6 days, and didn't have a hiccup. They're awesome!

Twofiddy
09-17-2007, 11:10
Erin,

I try not to get in trouble posting here in this forum... but I believe that I am some what of an experience shoe fitter and have some advice for you.

Some one mentioned Timberland... I recently wore a pair of timberland made GO-LITE brand shoes, and have become familiar with the entire product line. I think that you might find these shoes very comfortable, very supportive, and very shock absorbant, as they utilize a cleated technology to absorb the surface that you step on. Very good arch support and very good lateral ankle stability right out of the box. Of course you know that trail runners are not going to do even half of a thru-hike, but if ultimate comfort has no cost associated with it, then a few extra pairs of shoes over the course of time for your hiking adventure are well worth it. The GO-LITE shoes are made off of 2 timberland lasts.

Red Hat
09-24-2007, 16:59
After I got blisters hiking in Vasque boots my first try on the AT, I switched to trail runners and haven't looked back. Not a blister since with my New Balance trail runners (801 - 810 series).

Mother's Finest
09-24-2007, 18:00
find a cped in your area. www.cpeds.org (http://www.cpeds.org) to locate one. they will be able to help you with proper shoe gear as well as proper arch support.

peace
mf

Blissful
09-24-2007, 19:58
I never thought I would be a trail runners fan. But after developing calf pain with my boots halfway through the hike, I switched to Brooks trail runners at Harper's Ferry and never looked back. Loved them. Wore them through the rocks of PA, in the WHites, to the big K. They were great. I had a running shop help me with my fit. Ended up with size 11 even though I normally take a ten. And I wore Spenco hiker inserts in them. They were the most comfortable inserts. I wore four pairs on the second part of the hike.

rafe
09-24-2007, 20:41
If you have reasonably strong ankles relative to your body+pack weight, you'll be fine with trail runners. I switched from a pair of Wolverines to New Balance 907s in mid-hike this summer, with no problems or regrets. I did the first 230 miles in the Wolverines. Ditched them in Harpers Ferry because of the blisters that wouldn't heal. I did the final 350 miles or so in the NBs.

The only downside (IMO) was the relatively thin and flexible soles -- you do tend to feel every rock. As a compromise, you might consider a boot like Vasque "Breeze" with a more substantial sole.

Jim Adams
09-24-2007, 20:53
The only downside (IMO) was the relatively thin and flexible soles -- you do tend to feel every rock. As a compromise, you might consider a boot like Vasque "Breeze" with a more substantial sole.

Hate to cut into the womens forum but I have Terrapin's back here.
:sun
I just did 1,000 miles of the PCT in Vasque Breeze boots. They are made to breath very well, be light and still provide support. They were made for desert hiking and through 700 miles of desert, my feet never over heated in them. Don't get the gore-tex shoes--they are hotter and if you are hiking the Grand Canyon you shouldn't have to worry much about rain or mud (maybe occassional snow). Anyway, they still look new and in fact I am wearing them right now at work. They are great boots and very light for a boot. Good luck.

geek

dixicritter
09-24-2007, 20:56
As a compromise, you might consider a boot like Vasque "Breeze" with a more substantial sole.

This is the boot I wear. So far it seems to work out well for me and is relatively light weight for a boot. Weighs in at 37.10 ozs. (Rock has corrupted me to the dark side of counting I actually have them listed on my packing list in grams...LOL.) I haven't gotten any blisters wearing these either, of course I'm not what you'd call a high mileage hiker.

When I was looking I was going for light weight, durable, with some ankle support. I haven't been let down.

http://www.vasque.com/products/w-breeze.cfm The ones I have are pictured on the far right the GTX XCR

Erin
01-09-2008, 16:41
Hi all and thank your for the suggestions. I am hanging on to them for footwear shopping this year. I ended up doing the trip in my Sundowners and new $$ arch supports and did great. Not one blister. The hike was absolutely beautiful. :) I did stick with low weight on everything else. Wore the same clothes for three days and the rest of the weight was water, electrolyte powder and food. I did stay at 20 lbs.

dixicritter
01-09-2008, 19:57
Glad to hear you had a great hike and your footwear worked out for you! :)