PDA

View Full Version : Change of plans

Suzzz
09-04-2007, 22:42
I'm faily new to this site and haven't posted often but a few of you have already helped me by answering questions and offering your help as I was preparing for my first section of the AT this past weekend.

Starting the AT this year was very important to me as I promised myself I'd start the year of my 40th birthday. But my life life took a very exciting turn two weeks ago and my hike had to be postponed.

This big life changing event first came in the form of a phone call, a call I had come to beleive might never come. A little boy was looking for an adoptive family and social services wanted to know if I was interested. Are you kidding me??? From that point on everything went very fast. It's amazing that as long as they make you wait, they expect you to be ready in a matter of hours when they call you. Wow, what a rush! Jordan was brought to the house on Saturday and so far he's been an absolute joy. But man oh man, I don't remember the last time I was this tired.

So am I dispointed I had to change my plans? Not at all. Life is about priorities and as much as starting my section hike the year of my 40th birthday was important to me, being a mom is just as important.

Katadhyn will still be there next year. Anybody here know a good babysitter?

Lone Wolf
09-04-2007, 22:44
was meant to be obviously. go with it.

Skidsteer
09-04-2007, 22:47
Good for you. Congratulations. :)

buckowens
09-04-2007, 22:51
Take him along!!!

Roo (9) loves it, and Steven (7) is warming to the idea. Roo has 86 miles under her belt and is a pretty good hiking buddy. As a Dad, I am excited that she enjoys the outdoors as much as I do.

Congratulations, you really have your priorities in order!:sun This is the best adventure...

Suzzz
09-04-2007, 23:05
Jordan is 9... how much mileage can I expect him to do in a day? What's the longest you've had your kids hiking, can they handle more than a weekend? And what about backpacks, I assume they can't carry much more than their own clothes?

Midway Sam
09-04-2007, 23:05
As the adoptive parent of two boys, I congratulate you! I know the ups & downs you have been through and I can appreciate the ups and downs that lay ahead of you.

The trail will be there, and you might have just met the best trail buddy you could ever hope to find!

Lone Wolf
09-04-2007, 23:07
Jordan is 9... how much mileage can I expect him to do in a day? What's the longest you've had your kids hiking, can they handle more than a weekend? And what about backpacks, I assume they can't carry much more than their own clothes?

let him dictate miles. if 5 makes him tired, that's all you do

Midway Sam
09-04-2007, 23:08

He will do exactly as much as he wants, no more, no less. :)

Start with small "hikes" around the block to see if he likes walking. Put his bookbag on his bag with a PB&J sandwich, a juice box and a bag of M&Ms and walk to the park.

You'll soon learn what he can do!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-04-2007, 23:10
I suggest you read this journal - (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3002)Troll, Anchor, and Oblivious (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3002) - (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3002)by a couple who hiked with their 10 yo son with your new son. If it is something he wants to do, take him. I can't imagine a better bonding experience than hiking for 4 to 6 months together.
(http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3002)

buckowens
09-04-2007, 23:18

I put Roo in the lead and we did all of Georgia in 11 days. Some days we did 5-6, and a few we hit 10. I also gave her about a 30 minute or longer nap in the afternoon which made all of the difference. We took liberal butterfly, flower and overlook breaks as well.

At the time of our first hike our gear was heavier than what we use now. She was less than 20 pounds and had no problem at all. We have now switched to lighter packs and hammocks. I gave her the cooking gear and she took great pleasure in telling everyone we met that SHE had to carry it for me...even though it was titanium with a pocket rocket :D .

Check out our journal for the June section to see what Roo and I did. We have a trip planned for next June from NOC to points North. Can't wait!!!

Midway Sam and L. Wolf are right on the money. Start with some practice hikes and he will dictate what he is capable of. Our practice hikes always ended with a hot dog or other such treat! I let her get one as well...

Suzzz
09-04-2007, 23:22
let him dictate miles. if 5 makes him tired, that's all you do

Of course I wouldn't make him walk any more than what he can handle but it would be nice to have a guestimate in order to plan the hike properly.

All the adoption papers won't be finalized for a while, so I can't take him out of the country just yet but I'd like to take him to Fundy Park this weekend if possible. I'll probably start him on one of the shorter trails to see if he still has some steam left at the end of it and gradually increase the milleage every time we go. Winter will be here soon though so there's only about two "safe" months left.

Lone Wolf
09-04-2007, 23:24
Of course I wouldn't make him walk any more than what he can handle but it would be nice to have a guestimate in order to plan the hike properly.

does he even want to hike?

Suzzz
09-04-2007, 23:33
Thanks guys,

I'll read those journals and try to go to Fundy this w-e, there are some very short hikes we can do there. He's already expressed an interest in hiking and used to go camping with his foster family so he's not completely new to the concept. I'll pack his bookbag with goodies and see how far he can go. Depending on the weather I may even see if he's interested in an over-nighter but before we can do that, we need to buy him a sleeping bag.

buckowens
09-04-2007, 23:38
Roo has the 20 degree version of this bag http://www.amazon.com/Sierra-Designs-Coyote-Synthetic-Sleeping/dp/B000OWGJUE/ref=sr_1_3/105-7211292-2973214?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1188963363&sr=1-3

It is pretty light and she seems to like it quite a bit. It is pretty cheap, has a built in pillow and packs really small.

Jim Adams
09-04-2007, 23:42
Congrats!!!!!
If he likes to hike you may have days anywhere from 3--10 miles depending on terrain, weather, attitude, etc. Try to hike an area with alot of water so that it is no problem stopping at several different distances to camp as needed. Let him lead. If he likes hiking, you will probably have at least 7 mile days but if you are out there for a three day weekend and only cover 6--7 miles, maybe he doesn't like to hike but may like camping. If that is the case, hike 4-5 miles into a great camping spot, maybe a swimming hole or alot of wildlife and camp for the weekend then hike back to the car late afternoon on sunday. OTOH, if he likes it, at his age it will be only a year or two until he hikes you into the ground!

geek

Suzzz
09-04-2007, 23:45

Yes he said he'd like to try hiking. He's used to camping (the easy way - in a trailer), and has been fishing and canoeing on numerous occasions. So he's the outdoorsy type. Still, I want to take it slow to make sure he learns to like it. In the event that he doesn't like it, then I'll have to be creative once or twice a year so that I can get my fix while he's having fun at camp or grandma's.

Time To Fly 97
09-05-2007, 08:49
You are now hiking on blessed trail. Enjoy every second. Get him on a schedule and you (may have) more time for sleep ; )

Happy hiking!

TTF

peanuts
09-05-2007, 12:20
congrats!!! suzzzz, you will enjoy your new hiking partner if he likes it:) and if memory serve correctly, you are in a beautiful are with lots of hikes to do! enjoy!!:):)

Sly
09-05-2007, 14:27

Are you going to let a 9 year old dictate what he wants to do? "Sorry, I don't want to go to school today." :p

Suzzz
09-05-2007, 21:55
Are you going to let a 9 year old dictate what he wants to do? "Sorry, I don't want to go to school today." :p

Well... certain things are non negogiable (school, personal hygiene, politeness, etc.). However hobbies should be enjoyable, no matter what age you are. Therefore I have no intention of making him hike if he doesn't like it.

mudhead
09-06-2007, 16:13
Don't overdo it, at the risk of turning him off it for a long time. I know this from experience. There are times when you are antsy to move and he wants to see what is under rocks.

Lots of good exploring in that area, just keep an eye on your watch. (tide)

wakapak
09-06-2007, 18:27
Congrats Suzzz!! What an exciting turn of events for you! And as everyone else has said, just see if he likes it, and if he does, just let him pace how the hike goes! The last year i did the AT (02) there was a family of 4 doing it also...i believe the kids were around 8 and 11 yrs old. I met them somewhere in VA and they were hiking days of 12, 15 and 16 miles! The kids were the ones who wanted to do those distances and it seemed that if they wanted to do less, the parents would let them. They were a great family, and seemed to really enjoy the whole experience together! However this turns out for you, enjoy it!!

Suzzz
09-06-2007, 21:08
Lots of good exploring in that area, just keep an eye on your watch. (tide)[/quote]

Thanks for theheads

Suzzz
09-06-2007, 21:11
Lots of good exploring in that area, just keep an eye on your watch. (tide)[/quote]

Ooooooops, wrong buttons.... No worry about the tides, we locals are used to them and I know Fundy Park like the back of my hand.

Pennsylvania Rose
09-07-2007, 08:50
Congrats, Suzzz. As an adopted child, I'm always thrilled to hear about families who open their homes and hearts to kids who need them.

As a parent, introducing my children to the outdoors has made my hobby more fulfilling than I ever imagined. Frustrating, at times, but never dull. It's so much fun to rediscover the world through kids' eyes. And, what a great excuse to walk slowly, take a lot of breaks, splash in creeks, and poke around under rocks! Since your son is interested in camping and hiking (and you're not forcing him into it) I'm sure you'll have lots of fun together.

Suzzz
09-07-2007, 11:06
Thanks Pennsylvania Rose,

I'm so looking forward to help this little guy have a better life. Sure, I'll make mistakes along the way but I made a promise to do my best. We'll try him out this weekend and see what comes of it.