PDA

View Full Version : Kelty Trip Tease Questions

Nightwalker
09-05-2007, 00:03
For those who have hiked with it:

Is trip-tease too abrasive for bear line?

If I pull out the white inside threads to reduce weight, will it weaken too much? Does anyone know the before and after strength and weight?

Thanks

Jim Adams
09-05-2007, 00:17
Not too abrasive but if you need to strip it to save weight then stay home because air weighs too much to breath.

geek

Jimmers
09-05-2007, 00:17
I know that its breaking strength is 188 lbs untouched. Never used it for bear line, bit since it's a nylon sheathe I can't imagine it being too abrasive. Doesn't seem to be for me anyway.

I'm pretty sure that the white threads that you're talking about are actually what give the line most of its strength to begin with. The stuff's already pretty light, why mess with it? When I tried weighing my guylines that are made of the stuff it barely reached 1 oz for about 40 feet of cord.

Ramble~On
09-05-2007, 00:52
50 feet = 1 oz
It wouldn't make good bear bag line due to the small diameter.
Any weight on it would be hard to pull up to height and by pulling on it you'd be sawing through whatever limb you were trying to suspend your bag from.

Removing the white fibers from the sheath would be....pretty silly considering the price tag on this stuff.

Footslogger
09-05-2007, 10:07
I've used it as tie out line on tents but not yet as a food bag line. One thing I will tell you is that the core of the line is loose from the outer sleeve and if not tied off or burned it can/will slip.

'Slogger

johnny quest
09-05-2007, 12:01
i agree that gutting it to save weight is silly. better to remove half the bristles in your toothbrush or switch from chunky peanut butter to smooth.
i agree that it is probably so small a diameter that it will have a sawing action on the tree limb...or at least get bound up in bark.
and i have one question: would using reflective cord on a bear bag just attract headlight-wearing bears?

Footslogger
09-05-2007, 12:05
and i have one question: would using reflective cord on a bear bag just attract headlight-wearing bears?

===========================================

Can't answer THAT question but I did see it being used with a food bag recently. The reflectiveness was a definite advantage when the hiker attempted to throw it over the tree branch once it had gotten dark outside. Otherwise I really don't think the reflective nature of the line wouldn't be of much value. Might still be a good narrow diameter line to use for hanging foodbags though.

'Slogger

bulldog49
09-05-2007, 12:22
i agree that gutting it to save weight is silly. better to remove half the bristles in your toothbrush or switch from chunky peanut butter to smooth.

Silly for sure. He could shave his pubs and save more weight.
:banana

johnny quest
09-05-2007, 12:31
TMI! TMI! some things are better left unsaid!

mweinstone
09-05-2007, 13:09
i actually use it for my food cord. allways have, allways will. yes its impossable to hoist without simultaniously pushing the bag . a small nusance for the service my ball of string gives. its smaller and lighter than most carryied. and hard to use. but thats how i roll. any space saveings means more bacon.

JAK
09-05-2007, 13:21
Actually I used the stuff for that purpose on my last hike. It didn't saw through anything, but I do remember at the time being concerned that it might, and also that it might not be good for the tree. The Fundy Footpath has lots of trees, and not much traffic, but still, there always seems to be like one obvious tree at most sites, so it is probably a good idea for people to make that tree last before moving on to the next one.

I would use it again though. I got it for tarp string, but I imagine I'll still have some left. I am not too worried about the breaking strength for my application, but I don't imagine I'll remove the core either. The rope might be handy for something else where the strength is needed, so I think it is better to leave it as is. I wouldn't neccessarily recommend this rope either. There are better ropes. But it was there when I needed it, so I bought it.

Appalachian Tater
09-05-2007, 15:59
Supposedly the triptease is harmful to trees. Heres some info from Backpacking Light regarding alternatives: (http://tinyurl.com/34lh3u (http://tinyurl.com/2hhlsh)). There is a discussion of the different Aircore types, the triptease, and at the bottom links to two lightweight lines for bear bags.

Toolshed
09-05-2007, 16:13
Supposedly the triptease is harmful to trees. Heres some info from Backpacking Light regarding alternatives: (http://tinyurl.com/34lh3u (http://tinyurl.com/2hhlsh)). There is a discussion of the different Aircore types, the triptease, and at the bottom links to two lightweight lines for bear bags.
Yawn..... :confused: bearbag ropes harmful to trees. Why even bother to hike when your footprints could hurt the dirt. Stay on the sidewalks.
'Course, you have to have a lot more money than common sense to pay $$30-$70 for a bear bag system when an old stuffsack and $3.00 worth of parachute cord works fine (and you can invest the difference to pad a years worth of hiking when you retire).:sun

Appalachian Tater
09-06-2007, 00:16
Yawn..... :confused: bearbag ropes harmful to trees. Why even bother to hike when your footprints could hurt the dirt. Stay on the sidewalks.
'Course, you have to have a lot more money than common sense to pay $$30-$70 for a bear bag system when an old stuffsack and $3.00 worth of parachute cord works fine (and you can invest the difference to pad a years worth of hiking when you retire).:sun

I'm not sure whether or not you're joking.

Toolshed
09-06-2007, 11:48
I'm not sure whether or not you're joking.

I don't joke when it comes to lumber..... ;)