PDA

View Full Version : Need a job & the AT

Tennessee Viking
09-05-2007, 00:04
Ok...this a pretty obvious begging for career help. But if anyone can help....PLEASE DO.

I am needing to find a real career job in computer animation & graphics/video production, but I want to stick around the A.T. or an area with huge trails and scenary. Is there an area along the A.T., that has a big industry of computer media or television production that I can look into, and possibly pays well?

I just moved back from Iowa to Tennessee because....IT WAS FLAT. I was going nuts, no mountains. Nothing but corn, politics, industry. I was a whopping 400 feet above sea level while living there.

Currently I am working in retail in search of a real job around the Tennessee section of A.T. And I occupy my bored life with hiking and maintaining the trail.

Shutterbug
09-05-2007, 00:25
Ok...this a pretty obvious begging for career help. But if anyone can help....PLEASE DO.

I am needing to find a real career job in computer animation & graphics/video production, but I want to stick around the A.T. or an area with huge trails and scenary. Is there an area along the A.T., that has a big industry of computer media or television production that I can look into, and possibly pays well?

I just moved back from Iowa to Tennessee because....IT WAS FLAT. I was going nuts, no mountains. Nothing but corn, politics, industry. I was a whopping 400 feet above sea level while living there.

Currently I am working in retail in search of a real job around the Tennessee section of A.T. And I occupy my bored life with hiking and maintaining the trail.

Check the job listings for Seattle. We don't have the AT, but we have plenty of trails, including the PCT. If you enjoy hiking, you won't get bored around here.

Daddy Longlegs
09-05-2007, 08:44
If you want to stay in the southeast I think that there are jobs like that around the Charlotte NC area and Atlanta. Both are within an hour of good trails. Good luck!

Time To Fly 97
09-05-2007, 08:46
Go into business for yourself and do contract work from a home office. Get your cake and eat it too!

Happy hiking!

TTF

JAK
09-05-2007, 08:55
Unspoiled beauty and lack of opportunity tend to go hand in hand. Not to say it can't be done though. It like musical chairs everywhere, but with a few extra chairs missing. So I would stay in Tennessee if I were you. We have managed to maintain a lot of unspoiled beauty up here in New Brunswick also, despite our best efforts. Best of luck to you.

The Solemates
09-05-2007, 13:56
Unspoiled beauty and lack of opportunity tend to go hand in hand.

right here is the truth of the matter.

corialice81
09-05-2007, 14:50
I'm in boone, nc if you ever want to go hiking. I work at ASU so you may want to check that out.

leeki pole
09-05-2007, 15:07
I'm in boone, nc if you ever want to go hiking. I work at ASU so you may want to check that out.
Don't want to hijack the thread, but congrats on the big win over Michigan!
Love it when the underdog takes out the big Wolverine!

Mother's Finest
09-05-2007, 15:18

wow ben

what skills/experience do you have? Others have said it already on this thread, but you can usually pick up some freelance work and perform it remotely, so location is not as big of an issue.

if you have any type of game experience (internship or paid) I would be happy to forward the name of a lead designer out near San Francisco. It is not going to help much with your hiking, but could be a lead for a job.

my other suggestion would be to move to start contacting TV stations in cities and towns along the trail corridor. Of course, you will have much more opportunity in a place like Baltimore or Philadelphia than you will in say Palmerton......

peace
mf

emerald
09-05-2007, 15:50
Unspoiled beauty and lack of opportunity tend to go hand in hand.

I'm quoting this again, because it is that good, but sadly pretty much true.

Good luck with your job search. Believe there's a solution and keep looking until you find it. Maybe I just gave myself some good advice too, although I know I've told myself that before.;)

Mags
09-05-2007, 16:50
I do not know how adamant you are in staying out East, but the West tends to have more high tech hubs near outdoor areas than back East.

Seattle has been mentioned. Portland is also a good hub along with the Denver/Boulder corridor.

To a lesser extent there is Ft. Collins, CO and Colorado Spgs, CO.

Missoula, Montana and Durango, CO are some limited tech areas.

California of course has the most, but that is ever more $$$ than the above.

OVERALL

Ca is the best for your work, but is very $$$.

Denver/Seattle/Portland a close second Good compromise between jobs and outdoors. A little $$$, but not as bad as the Bay area. Apt comparison is to the Northeast in terms of cost of living.

Ft Collins and Co Sprgs have slightly less job oppurtunities.

The other places a bit less for job oppurtunities but could work if you found the right job.

Good luck!

Tennessee Viking
09-05-2007, 22:52
GO ASU!!!

One for beating Michigan, and two for beating Northern Iowa last year. I moved up to Iowa that year, and hated it. When I heard ASU beat UNI was so happy.

Appalachian Tater
09-06-2007, 00:19
NYC. Boston.

horicon
09-06-2007, 09:38
TRy upstate New York or Western mass.

dloome
09-06-2007, 22:27
I suggest Flagstaff, AZ. I moved here specifically for the hiking and have NOT been disappointed.

Try this on for size: The base elevation of the city is 7,000' and you can day hike from town to the state high point at 12,633'. Kachina Peaks Wilderness and Coconino Nat'l Forest are JUST outside of town. TONS of great hiking, cold winters with frequent snow. If you get sick of the cold you can just drive down off the plateau to the desert in about half an hour. Also, Sedona is about 20 minutes away with world class hiking and mountain bike terrain. I give it two thumbs up.

warraghiyagey
09-06-2007, 23:23
Get a job.

:D

naturejunkie
09-07-2007, 13:07
Try Charlotte, NC, Northern Virginia and Washington, DC. They are all close to the AT and have booming tech centers. DC and Northern Virginia also have lively art and advertising sectors, so there are always plenty of jobs.

And, the good part is that you are just a short drive from the Virginia AT/Shenandoah, the Maryland AT and Harper's Ferry.