PDA

View Full Version : good weekend New England hike?

krazychefkurt
11-05-2003, 03:09
I'm planning on taking a friend of mine on a weekend hike here in 2 weeks. The 14-16 of Nov. To show him that the At is no joke and to see if he could even hack it. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice for a good weekend hike in New England. Preferrable where campfires are available. We are willing to go somewhere from Vermont-Ct. We are in ct. Any advice on shuttles? Well please reply if yuanz have any input or no-no's for the area. Thanx and hurry up I need to plan this quick.
Thanx

Jack Tarlin
11-05-2003, 14:46
Considering how cold and wet it's been here in Hanover lately, which isn't that far North, I'd look at southern New England if I were you, especially if you're trying to break someone into backpacking without killing them. The whole Connecticut section is quite nice, especially the section north of Cornwall Bridge to Salisbury, which includes the area around Rand's view, which is spectacular.

Also, if you go NORTHWARDS of Salisbury, the area around Mt. Everett and the Mass/CT border, especially the Sages Ravine area, is gorgeous.

For more info, go to either www.atconf.org or www.outdoors.org for more details.

If you want to try Vermont, I'd consider the section from Bennington (Rt 9) to Manchester Center, which is considerably more rugged, but beautiful.

jigsaw
11-06-2003, 21:21
i agree with jack start in salisbury and go into mass. you could go to the hemlocks shelter 13 miles day one and head down to rt.7 about 8 miles to finish day two. this would be a great first hike you would get some nice views from race mt. and mt. everett and sage's ravine is cool.